Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This State Looks Tempting
Sep 7, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Nearing Retirement? This State Looks Tempting
4 Fla. cities, including Orlando, make WalletHub's top 10 list for the best places to retire
- Whether you're decades away from retirement or right around the corner, where you head after you clock out for the last time may already be percolating. WalletHub looked at more than 180 of America's cities, analyzing metrics in four main categories: affordability (cost of living, taxpayer friendliness, and...
Custody Battle Turns Deadly
Nov 10, 2020 7:44 AM CST
Ex-Ballerina's Bitter Custody Battle Turns Deadly
Ashley Benefield, 28, is accused of murdering estranged husband Doug Benefield, 58
- A former professional dancer is accused of fatally shooting her estranged husband after she claimed a domestic violence incident forced her to act in self-defense. A release from the Manatee County Sheriff's Office says the incident took place Sept. 27 in Central Park, Fla., where Ashley Benefield, 28—who...
Jewelry Named for Victims
of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Sep 11, 2020 12:35 PM CDT
Jewelry Named for Victims of Police Brutality Is Yanked
Controversial collection made of shattered glass from BLM protest pulled from Charleston museum
- A bolo tie named for Eric Garner . "The Elijah" and "The Breonna," necklaces costing several hundred dollars in honor of Elijah McClain and Breonna Taylor . A $45 pair of earrings bearing Trayvon Martin 's name. These are some of the items the
lists as part...
Sep 8, 2020 10:10 AM CDT
Looking to Retire? These US Cities Beckon
Nearly half of the top 10 are in one state
- Unless you plan on living indefinitely on a cruise ship when you retire (not a bad idea, but maybe a little impractical for most of us), you may be looking ahead to where it would make the most sense to settle in for your golden years. Toward that end, WalletHub...
Dog Gets an Unexpected
Road Trip to Florida
Jul 27, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
Dog Gets an Unexpected Road Trip to Florida
Belle jumped out of car in South Carolina, was picked up by Floridians
- A pet dog that jumped out of a car window on a South Carolina highway has been found two weeks later, nearly 600 miles away in Miami, per the AP . The dog named Belle escaped from the moving car near Charleston on July 15, according to Tim Whitfield, whose 90-year-old...
Statue of a
Jun 24, 2020 11:45 AM CDT
Overnight Crew Begins Sawing Statue of a Former VP
Charleston's statue of John C. Calhoun will be relocated
- A former vice president is about to fall. Early Wednesday, a crew began removing a statue of John C. Calhoun, a defender of slavery who served as the seventh US vice president from 1825 to 1832, from its pedestal in Charleston, SC, following a Tuesday city council vote. The council...
May 31, 2020 7:34 AM CDT
Protesters Target Confederate Statues
Multiple cities see graffiti attacks
- Protesters took to the streets of cities across America for a fourth night of rallying against the death of George Floyd, and the AP reports that Confederate monuments in Virginia, the Carolinas, and Mississippi were targeted. One at the University of Mississippi was spray-painted with the words "spiritual genocide,...
10 Top US Cities
May 20, 2020 9:25 AM CDT
10 Top US Cities for Staycations
Being stuck close to home during the pandemic doesn't mean you can't take a break from it all
- Even, or maybe especially, amid a pandemic, thoughts of vacation are bubbling up—and the idea of a "staycation" is looking more likely for most of us. WalletHub decided to figure out which US cities are the most appealing for those remaining close to home, looking at more than...
Her Boss' Job,
Has Her Badge Pulled
Feb 28, 2020 10:46 AM CST
She Wants Her Boss' Job, Has Her Badge Pulled
She Wants Her Boss' Job, Had Her Badge Pulled
- A deputy of South Carolina's largest sheriff's office has been stripped of her badge, uniform, and guns after expressing a desire to run for her boss' job. Al Cannon, 73, has been sheriff of Charleston County since 1988 and intends to remain in the job after the November...
A Cop Was Idling in a Parking
Lot. A Surprise Driver Pulled Up
Sep 25, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
A Cop Was Idling in a Parking Lot. A Surprise Driver Pulled Up
11-year-old was reportedly lost after driving 200 miles to live with Snapchat stranger
- Police say an 11-year-old boy drove himself across South Carolina intending to live with an unknown male he'd met on Snapchat. The plan came to a quick close as the boy, who'd driven 200 miles from his home in Simpsonville, pulled up alongside Charleston Officer Christopher Braun in...
America's 10 Best
Cities for 'Staycations'
May 30, 2019 12:42 PM CDT
America's 10 Best Cities for 'Staycations'
Honolulu is No. 1
- Looking to start your vacation as soon as you clock your last hour at work? WalletHub looks at the best cities for "staycations," looking at more than three dozen metrics in the "Recreation," "Food and Entertainment," and "Rest and Relaxation" categories. Virginia Beach,...
Wants to Fire His
Sep 19, 2017 12:05 PM CDT
Dylann Roof Wants to Fire His 'Biological Enemies': His Lawyers
His current lawyers are Jewish and Indian
- Dylann Roof, the convicted white supremacist murderer of nine black churchgoers in Charleston, SC, wants to dismiss and replace his legal team because they are his "political and biological enemies," he says in a handwritten letter filed with the 4th US Circuit Court of Appeals Monday. Roof, who'...
Fired Dishwasher Kills Chef at
Charleston Restaurant: Cops
Aug 24, 2017 4:21 PM CDT
Fired Dishwasher Kills Chef at Charleston Restaurant: Cops
Hostage situation is now over
- A fired dishwasher shot and killed a chef and held one person hostage for about three hours before he was shot by police at a crowded restaurant in a tourist-heavy area of downtown Charleston, South Carolina, on Thursday, authorities and one of the restaurant's owners said. The hostages were...
Dylann Roof Pleads Guilty
to State Murder Charges
Apr 10, 2017 2:24 PM CDT
Dylann Roof Pleads Guilty to State Murder Charges
He'll now await execution in federal case
- Convicted Charleston church shooter Dylann Roof has been given nine life sentences for the 2015 massacre at Emanuel AME Church in exchange for his guilty plea in state court, the AP reports. The plea entered Monday by the self-avowed white supremacist marks the end of his court cases and signals...
GPS Reveals Chilling
2nd Stop by Dylann Roof
Feb 22, 2017 4:03 AM CST
GPS Reveals Chilling 2nd Stop by Dylann Roof
GPS data reveals he went to second church
- GPS information from Dylann Roof's car reveals a chilling detail: He stopped at a second South Carolina church after his massacre, reports ABC affiliate WCIV . When he left Emanuel AME Church in Charleston, Roof got back on the interstate and took an exit that brought him to Branch AME...
Daughter Asked: 'Is
Daddy Going to Die?'
Jan 5, 2017 1:32 PM CST
Charleston Survivor's Daughter Asked: 'Is Daddy Going to Die?'
Jennifer Pinckney cradled 6-year-old under desk as Dylann Roof killed her husband
- "There's nothing wrong with me psychologically," Dylann Roof told a jury Wednesday . It was a statement Jennifer Pinckney had heard before. The wife of Rev. Clementa Pinckney had been in her husband's study at Emanuel AME Church in Charleston with their 6-year-old daughter, Malana, on June...
Tape: Felt 'Bad'
When He Found
Out Death Toll
Dec 9, 2016 1:20 PM CST
Roof's Confession Tape: Felt 'Bad' When He Found Out Death Toll
Accused Charleston church shooter also admitted he was 'white supremacist'
- During a week in which his mom already suffered a heart attack after hearing the case against him, more shock arrived Friday in the federal trial of Dylann Roof, 22, accused of a church shooting in Charleston, SC, that killed nine black worshippers. He's facing 33 federal charges for...
Dylann Roof: Witness
Called Me 'Evil,'
I Want Mistrial
Dec 8, 2016 10:01 AM CST
Dylann Roof: Witness Called Me 'Evil,' I Want Mistrial
Judge denies the motion
- Dylann Roof's defense team started the second day of his trial by asking for a mistrial, a request the judge promptly denied. A survivor of the 2015 church massacre in Charleston, SC, testified on the first day of the trial about watching her son die and, during her testimony,...
Dylann Roof: I Want My
Lawyers Back, Sort Of
Dec 4, 2016 2:37 PM CST
Dylann Roof: I Want My Lawyers Back, Sort Of
Accused South Carolina shooter makes request to judge
- The white man charged with the shooting deaths of nine black parishioners at a South Carolina church asked a judge on Sunday if he could have his defense team back, at least temporarily, the AP reports. In a handwritten request, Dylann Roof asked US District Judge Richard Gergel to bring...
Nov 28, 2016 9:57 AM CST
Dylann Roof Will Represent Himself
Defense lawyers will be on hand if he asks for help
- Dylann Roof may have the chance to question the very people he is accused of shooting when he stands trial for the murders of nine black worshippers at a South Carolina church. Judge Richard Gergel on Monday granted a surprise request from Roof to defend himself against 33 federal charges,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Secret Recording of Pope Is Played in Court
Trump Says He Didn't Know White Nationalist He Dined With
Frontier Airlines Has Ditched Telephone Customer Service
He Mountain Biked an Iconic 27-Mile Trail—Uphill
They Worked on an Execution, and Suffered for It
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.