Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's Time to WFG
Sep 24, 2023 9:30 AM CDT
Forget WFH. It's Time to WFG
Is working from the gym the next trend in the corporate world?
- As NPR put it this month on
, "working from home is so 2020." What's next? Well, as the
Wall Street Journal
put it last month, "the hottest new office is the gym." A lawyer from Virginia who puts in an 8am-8pm work day...
Musk: Get Off
High Horse' on
May 17, 2023 11:45 AM CDT
Musk: Get Off Your 'Moral High Horse' on Remote Work
'Morally wrong' practice is unfair to those whose jobs require in-person work, billionaire says
- It's "morally wrong" that some people get to work from home when others can't, says billionaire Elon Musk, who's clearly had enough of the seemingly lasting trend of remote work. "People should get off their godd--- moral high horse with the work-from-home bulls--- because they'...
Workers of 'Quiet
Care of Kids
Apr 21, 2023 8:31 AM CDT
CEO Accuses Workers of 'Quiet Quitting,' Taking Care of Kids
Clearlink's James Clarke made some eyebrow-raising comments on remote work at town hall
- The CEO of a digital marketing and tech firm is taking a fair amount of flak after remarks that targeted remote workers and working moms. James Clarke, head of Utah-based Clearlink, spoke during a companywide town hall last week to discuss a recent return-to-work order now that the pandemic has...
Amazon Rebuffs Pleas From
30K Workers to Stay Remote
Mar 24, 2023 2:32 PM CDT
Amazon Rebuffs Pleas From 30K Workers to Stay Remote
HR chief says that, despite petition, return-to-office plan will continue as planned, starting May 1
- Last month, Amazon CEO Andy Jassy shared a letter with staff announcing the company's intent to bring all employees back into the office at least three days a week, starting May 1. Many workers weren't happy about that—at least 30,000 of them (10% of Amazon's...
Yelp Rebuffs Hybrid 'Hell,'
Closes 3 of Its Offices
Jun 24, 2022 9:55 AM CDT
Yelp Rebuffs Hybrid 'Hell,' Closes 3 of Its Offices
Company makes bigger push toward remote work by closing NYC, Chicago, DC campuses
- Many employers are still resistant to telecommuting, even after two years of a pandemic during which distance work became more the rule than the exception. Yelp isn't one of them. The AP reports that the crowd-sourced reviews site will be closing its Chicago, New York City, and DC offices...
Elon Musk Takes
Rigid Stance on Remote Work
Jun 1, 2022 11:16 AM CDT
Elon Musk Takes Rigid Stance on Remote Work
Email posted to Twitter purportedly tells Tesla staff remote work only OK past 40-hour mark
- Elon Musk has made clear to his Tesla workforce that remote work is not acceptable. Nor is it "acceptble," as the subject line of an email apparently sent to Tesla employees Tuesday and later posted to Twitter made clear. The brief email explains that "anyone who wishes...
Here Are the
10 Best States
for Remote Workers
Apr 5, 2022 4:32 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best States for Remote Workers
The Garden State tops WalletHub's list
- During the pandemic, much of America got a taste of what it's like to be a full-time telecommuter. Now that many businesses have started to open back up, a good number of them are allowing workers to remain remote. To see which states are most conducive to this type...
Employers Should Think Twice
About Remote Working
Jul 27, 2021 10:30 AM CDT
Employers Should Think Twice About Remote Working
'It can drain morale and diminish collegiality,' writes the partner in a law firm that stayed open
- Much has been written about how the pandemic has upended work life, perhaps permanently . But while many employers have embraced the idea of remote working, not everybody is a fan. In a
New York Times
essay, one of the partners in a Houston law firm recounts how productivity tanked when...
Most FB Workers
for Perk That's
Made CEO 'Happier'
Jun 10, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Most FB Workers Now Eligible for Perk That's Made CEO 'Happier'
Company to allow most employees option to work remotely
- Businesses across America are starting to more fully reopen and transition back to in-person operations, and Facebook is no exception. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that the social media giant will be opening the bulk of its US offices to half capacity in September, with a full opening set for...
The US Cities That
May Soon Ditch
Mar 8, 2021 9:15 AM CST
The US Cities That Remote Workers May Soon Ditch
There are also metro areas that could benefit from the telecommuting trend
- With much of America now intimately familiar with telecommuting, a necessity born of the pandemic,
sees a "titanic shift" in the direction of remote work, even once all of the virus-related lockdowns are over and we head back into the office. And as people realize they can...
Keep One Big Perk
Feb 10, 2021 6:24 AM CST
Salesforce Will Keep One Big Perk After Pandemic
Software company will let most employees keep working from home after this is all over
- Telecommuting, work from home, working virtually, working remotely—whatever you call it, employees at San Francisco's largest private company are about to have the option to do it permanently, even after we've finally chased the pandemic away. Salesforce announced Tuesday that most of its workers will be permitted...
Has an Offer
in case you missed it
Jul 12, 2020 2:20 PM CDT
Barbados Has an Offer for Foreigners
Island creating yearlong work visa—to lure remote workers during pandemic
- If you've been working from home during the pandemic, you may feel lucky to have a job, but maybe not as lucky to be staring at the same four walls every day without much human interaction.
Conde Nast Traveler
reports on a possible remedy, if you're willing to...
New Influx of Whistleblower
Filings the 'Tip of the Iceberg'
in case you missed it
Jun 6, 2020 3:00 PM CDT
New Influx of Whistleblower Filings the 'Tip of the Iceberg'
Lawyers say uptick in complaints due to impact of COVID-19, people working from home
- While the coronavirus continues to wreak havoc on the economy, it's brought business to one particular group: lawyers for whistleblowers, who've been coming forward in increasing numbers since the pandemic hit. Per an SEC spokesman, the agency received 4,000 or so whistleblower complaints from the middle of...
Silicon Valley Hits
Back at Coronavirus
Mar 3, 2020 6:10 PM CST
Silicon Valley Hits Back at Coronavirus
Twitter, Google, other tech firms pushing remote work, other measures to stop COVID-19 spread
- With coronavirus seeping into more corners of the world— Gizmodo puts its presence in nearly 70 countries, with more than 91,000 sickened and at least 3,100 dead—Twitter just made a major move to stop the spread. The BBC reports the social media giant has told its workers...
A Move to Vermont Could Net
You $10K, but There's a Catch
Jun 1, 2018 10:45 AM CDT
A Move to Vermont Could Net You $10K, but There's a Catch
You have to work remotely for an out-of-state employer
- Vermont wants to pay you up to $10,000 to move there, and, yes, there's a catch. To qualify for the funds, you need to be a full-time employee of an out-of-state business who works from home. The unusual proposal, which comes with a new law signed by Gov....
10 Companies With Most
Job Posts for Telecommuters
Jan 30, 2017 4:27 PM CST
10 Companies With Most Job Posts for Telecommuters
FlexJobs takes its annual look
- Besides the ability to work in your PJs and take kitten or puppy breaks, telecommuting allows workers to save on commuting costs and time, and perhaps better handle the work-life balance, CNN notes. Companies can benefit, too, saving money by cutting down on office space and by attracting and keeping...
10 Best US Cities
to Be an 'Urban Hermit'
Oct 6, 2016 9:39 AM CDT
10 Best US Cities to Be an 'Urban Hermit'
You may never leave home in Chicago
- You don't have to live in a forest camp to be a hermit. Thanks to modern conveniences like Netflix and food deliveries, just about anybody, anywhere, can live the solitary life. Some cities, however, are better for "urban hermits" than others. Here are Estately 's top 10...
Tell Your Boss You Want
to Work From Montana
Jul 28, 2015 5:11 PM CDT
Tell Your Boss You Want to Work From Montana
Local businessman is pushing 'Come Home to Montana' telecommuting campaign
- Usually states that want to attract more business go directly after companies by offering tax incentives and other perks. But a Montana man who founded a successful software company there is targeting a more individualized demographic: employees in other states who want to leave the rat race and telecommute from...
Can't Take Time Off?
Try a 'Workcation'
Jun 27, 2015 3:18 PM CDT
Can't Take Time Off? Try a 'Workcation'
Employees are starting to combine work/pleasure time to save vacay days
- Don't have a lot of vacation days stockpiled but need to get away? Consider taking a "workcation"—what the
Wall Street Journal
describes as a growing trend in which workers head to a destination and pay for their own travel and lodgings, but don't get docked...
Isn't as Great
as You Think
Jun 14, 2015 2:40 PM CDT
Telecommuting Isn't as Great as You Think
Workers in study were more productive, but they missed their colleagues
- Cogs in the wheel toiling away in an office have probably dreamed of working from home in pajamas. But a new study out of Stanford University suggests telecommuting may not be all it's cracked up to be, leading
to assert that "traditional workspaces will never disappear....
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
House Approves Amendment to Make Defense Secretary's Salary $1
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
Trump's Comment Sparks Steps by Milley
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.