Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Republican National Convention
Stories 1 - 20 |
Aug 30, 2020 8:20 AM CDT
Leonard Cohen's Estate 'Exploring Legal Options' Against RNC
Singer's estate is decidedly unhappy GOP used 'Hallelujah' against its wishes
- The Republican National Convention trotted out Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah," not once but twice after President Trump accepted his party's nomination—and the late singer's estate would like you to know that it definitely did not approve that message. As Vulture reports, the RNC used the...
Tenants: We Were Duped
Into Video for the RNC
Aug 29, 2020 1:30 PM CDT
Tenants: We Were Duped Into Video for the RNC
'I am not a Trump supporter,' says one of them
- Those New York City housing tenants who appeared during the Republican National Convention? They're back in the news and crying foul: Three of the four say they were never told the interviews would be used during the RNC, the
New York Times
reports. "I am not a Trump...
4 Test Positive
for COVID at RNC
Aug 28, 2020 2:33 PM CDT
4 Test Positive for COVID at RNC
All were sent home upon arrival
- Health officials in Charlotte said Friday they conducted 792 coronavirus tests connected to the Republican National Convention, and four test results—for two attendees and two local employees—were positive, the Hill reports. "We had diligent safety protocols in place, including testing all attendees before arriving in Charlotte, and...
Rand Paul: Cops
Just Saved My Life
Aug 28, 2020 10:43 AM CDT
Rand Paul: Cops Just Saved My Life
Senator says he was 'attacked' by mob after Trump speech
- Rand Paul says he was leaving the final night of the RNC on Thursday when he was "attacked by an angry mob." The Republican senator from Kentucky thanked Metropolitan Police "for literally saving our lives" in an early Friday tweet , saying he'd been swarmed by more...
5 Takeaways From
the GOP Convention
Aug 28, 2020 9:22 AM CDT
5 Takeaways From the GOP Convention
Including clear signs that the GOP is Trump's party now
- The assessments are rolling in from the Republican National Convention. A sampling:
Remember at the 2016 convention when Ted Cruz caused a ruckus by failing to endorse Trump in his speech? No fear of anything like that in 2020. "If any proof were needed as to
Trump's Acceptance Speech
Among the Longest Ever
Aug 28, 2020 6:28 AM CDT
Trump's Acceptance Speech Among the Longest Ever
He promises to put the first woman on the moon
- President Trump closed out the Republican National Convention Thursday night by formally accepting the Republican nomination for president, which he did from the White House—the AP calls this the first political convention ever to be held there, and CNN notes Trump's was one of the longest acceptance speeches...
From 'I Alone Can Fix It,'
to Another Nomination
Aug 27, 2020 9:55 PM CDT
From 'I Alone Can Fix It,' to Another Nomination
Trump accepts the GOP nod on convention's final night
- Joe Biden had his big night , and now President Trump has had his. He closed out the Republican National Convention Thursday night by accepting the GOP nomination from the South Lawn of the White House, where CNN notes the more than 1,500 guests mingled closely with few wearing masks....
An Early Look at Trump's
Aug 27, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
An Early Look at Trump's Convention Message
Politico reports he will attack Joe Biden aggressively
- President Trump will cap the Republican National Convention with a speech from the South Lawn of the White House Thursday night. And while it's no surprise to learn that he will be going after Joe Biden, Politico reports that the speech will be especially aggressive on that front. Over...
Lara Trump Misquotes Lincoln,
and More From RNC Night 3
Aug 27, 2020 6:29 AM CDT
Lara Trump Misquotes Lincoln, and More From RNC Night 3
Mike Pence closes out the night promising to 'make America great again, again'
- President Trump's daughter-in-law Lara spoke Wednesday at the third night of the Republican National Convention, attributing this quote to Abraham Lincoln: "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." The problem, as the...
Meadows: RNC Hatch Act
Worries Are 'a Lot of Hoopla'
Aug 26, 2020 1:39 PM CDT
Meadows: RNC Hatch Act Worries Are 'a Lot of Hoopla'
'Nobody outside of the Beltway really cares'
- The Republican National Convention has featured what analysts say is an unprecedented blurring of the lines between campaigning and governing—but White House chief of staff Mark Meadows has dismissed concerns about violations of the Hatch Act. Legal observers believe the 1939 act, which bans most executive branch employees from...
RNC Night 2: Speaker Yanked,
Pompeo, Melania's Compassion
Aug 26, 2020 6:55 AM CDT
RNC Night 2: Speaker Yanked, Pompeo, Melania's Compassion
Eric and Tiffany Trump also spoke
- Before night two of the Republican National Convention had even begun, there was controversy: Mary Ann Mendoza, who had been scheduled to speak on President Trump's efforts to stop illegal immigration, was pulled from the schedule after retweeting a Twitter thread that included anti-Semitic and conspiratorial messages. As the...
to 'Rebrand' at
Aug 25, 2020 8:26 AM CDT
Melania Trump Gets Chance to 'Rebrand' at Tonight's RNC
First lady has opportunity to offer a 'warmer' picture of president
- Melania Trump is set to take the virtual stage Tuesday night at the Republican National Convention, and a White House aide tells the
she's been working on her speech for days, with help from former press secretary Stephanie Grisham and Kellyanne Conway, who recently announced she's...
What You Need to Know
From Night 1 of the RNC
Aug 25, 2020 6:27 AM CDT
What You Need to Know From Night 1 of the RNC
Donald Trump Jr., Nikki Haley among speakers on first night
- The Republican National Convention got underway Monday, a four-night affair that will culminate with President Trump's acceptance speech Thursday night. Trump, though, is breaking with tradition and is expected to speak on all four nights. In fact, he made surprise remarks early during Monday's proceedings after being formally...
Trump at RNC: To Drive Them
Crazy, 'You Say 12 More Years'
Aug 24, 2020 2:53 PM CDT
Trump at RNC: To Drive Them Crazy, 'You Say 12 More Years'
President says 'I felt an obligation to come to North Carolina'
- President Trump officially became the Republican Party's nominee for president Monday—and he made an unannounced appearance at the Republican National Convention after he had secured enough votes during the roll call of states. "I felt an obligation to come to North Carolina," he told delegates in...
Trump Is Breaking Tradition
With His Convention
Aug 24, 2020 6:10 AM CDT
Trump Is Breaking Tradition With His Convention
President is expected to speak on all 4 nights
- It's President Trump's turn. The Republican National Convention begins Monday night, and it will be unprecedented in a Trump-centric way: The president is expected to speak on each of the four nights in the 10pm hour, culminating with his Thursday night acceptance speech, reports the AP . Typically, the...
GOP Hopes Convention
Will Shift Campaign's Focus
Aug 23, 2020 9:27 AM CDT
GOP Hopes Convention Will Shift Campaign's Focus
Speaker lineup is heavy on family, cultural warriors, and Trump's staunchest defenders
- Republicans will aim to recast the story of Donald Trump's presidency when they hold their national convention beginning Monday, featuring speakers drawn from everyday life as well as cable news and the White House while drawing a stark contrast with Joe Biden. Trump is looking to shift his campaign...
Teen in Viral
to Speak at RNC
Aug 18, 2020 12:22 PM CDT
Teen in Viral Confrontation to Speak at RNC
Nicholas Sandmann sued various news outlets over coverage
- The teenager whose interaction with a Native American man at last year's Indigenous Peoples March went viral has been announced as a speaker at the Republican National Convention. Nicholas Sandmann, who went on to sue news outlets on the basis that they mischaracterized him as a racist, announced the...
Trump: I'll Accept
at White House
Aug 10, 2020 6:20 PM CDT
Trump: I'll Accept GOP Nomination at White House or Gettysburg
Final decision is coming soon, he says
- President Trump is considering accepting the Republican nomination with a Gettysburg address. The president tweeted Monday that the site of his acceptance speech on Aug. 27 has been narrowed down to two locations: "The Great Battlefield of Gettysburg, Pennsylvania, and the White House, Washington, D.C." The White...
RNC Bans Media
Aug 2, 2020 7:11 AM CDT
RNC Bans Media From Convention
Due to the pandemic
- When Donald Trump accepts the Republican party's presidential nomination later this month, well, you won't hear it from the Fourth Estate. The Republican National Convention has banned the press from its proceedings later this month due to the pandemic, with a rep telling the
Jacksonville Convention Is Off
Jul 23, 2020 5:53 PM CDT
Jacksonville Convention Is Off
Trump said he needs to keep his supporters safe
- "The timing for the event is not right," President Trump said Thursday. "To have a big convention is not the right time." So Republicans will not be gathering in Jacksonville next month for their national convention. Trump made the announcement during his coronavirus briefing at the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
On the Day the Rats Arrived, He Filled 18 Bags With Bodies
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.