Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Read the latest news reports about cruelty to animals, animal cruelty laws, and other stories of dog and cat abuse on Newser.com
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sep 20, 2023 2:00 PM CDT
Good News for Budweiser's Clydesdales
Anheuser-Busch will no longer dock their tails, after animal-rights groups protest
- It's been a busy year if you're in Budweiser's PR department, and it's about to be a happier year if you happen to be in their storied Clydesdale department (we're assuming you're not, because Clydesdales aren't so great with navigating the internet). As...
Zoo Accused of Being 'One
of the Worst' Is No More
Aug 28, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Zoo Accused of Being 'One of the Worst' Is No More
South Carolina's Waccatee Zoo has been shuttered as part of a settlement with PETA
- Three months ago, PETA removed nine animals from what it called "one of the worst roadside zoos in America." Now, that venue has been shut down for good. The animal rights group has reached a settlement with the Waccatee Zoo, located in South Carolina's Myrtle Beach area,...
Iceland Yanks Its Whale Hunt
Jun 21, 2023 10:50 AM CDT
Iceland Yanks Its Whale Hunt
Suspends its annual hunt until the last 2 weeks of the season, in a likely death knell
- Iceland is one of three nations left on the planet that still hunts whales commercially, and it looks like it may be bowing out of that small, controversial group on a humanitarian basis. As AFP reports, Reykjavik announced it's suspending the annual whaling season—which runs from mid-June to...
Supreme Court Delivers
a Defeat to Pork Industry
May 11, 2023 1:52 PM CDT
Supreme Court Delivers a Defeat to Pork Industry
Justices reject challenge to animal cruelty law in California that has effects beyond the state
- The Supreme Court has handed the pork industry a defeat, rejecting a challenge brought against an animal cruelty law in California. Justices decided that lower courts were correct in dismissing the challenge to the law, which requires more space for breeding pigs, reports the AP . The 2018 law stipulates that...
Drop Snake Act
May 11, 2023 11:49 AM CDT
to Drop Snake Act
Terrestrial snakes were dropped in water tank with cabaret dancer
- The snake show is now history at Paris' historic
cabaret. The club has dropped a long-running act in which a dancer swims around snakes in a water tank, the
reports. Animal rights campaigners said the snakes involved, Southeast Asian reticulated and Indian pythons, were terrestrial species and...
UK Quietly Does 180
on Animal Testing of Makeup
May 9, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
UK Quietly Does 180 on Animal Testing of Makeup
Government apparently reversed its stance in 2019, after decades-long ban
- The UK government had banned the testing of makeup ingredients on animals for more than two decades when it quietly reversed its stance in 2019. It began issuing licenses for animal testing of cosmetic ingredients in line with European Union rules, which don't allow animal testing to determine whether...
Cops Looking Into
Death of Pigeon Dyed Pink
Feb 10, 2023 9:17 AM CST
Cops Looking Into Death of Pigeon Dyed Pink
NYPD is on the case of death of 'Flamingo,' who may have been dyed for a gender reveal
- The sad news of the death of Flamingo , the white king pigeon found in Manhattan last month dyed pink, has now attracted the attention of local law enforcement. The
New York Times
reports that the NYPD's animal cruelty unit has opened an investigation into what happened to the bird,...
Pigeon That Was
Dyed Pink Doesn't Make It
Feb 8, 2023 11:58 AM CST
Pigeon That Was Dyed Pink Doesn't Make It
Animal rehab group believes toxins in pink dye killed 'Flamingo'
- A pink pigeon found in Manhattan last week has died, apparently from the toxins in the dye that was used on it. "We don't know why this bird was dyed pink, although many of our followers have speculated that it was for a gender reveal party," Catherine...
There's an 'Animal Welfare
Disaster' You Don't Know About
Jan 22, 2023 1:10 PM CST
There's an 'Animal Welfare Disaster' You Don't Know About
Vox takes a look at the export of live animals, particularly by sea
- It's an "animal welfare disaster" that's gone largely "unnoticed by the public," writes Sophie Kevany in a piece for Vox that details the issue at length: animals exported alive to other countries. That may sound relatively innocuous, but the reality of these transfers, particularly those...
Cops: Homeowners Moved,
Left 76 Dogs Behind
Dec 29, 2022 2:58 PM CST
Cops: Homeowners Moved, Left 76 Dogs Behind
Dozens of neglected animals found in filthy Tennessee home
- Police in a small Tennessee town received a tip this week from a "concerned citizen," and what they found inside a local home stunned them: dozens of dogs, crammed into a trash-filled residence that had been abandoned by its owners. Responders from the Animal Rescue Corps, called by...
Cops Alerted to
Alleged Puppy Mill
Dec 5, 2022 10:55 AM CST
Cops Alerted to Alleged Puppy Mill Smelled Odor From Driveway
They say 180 animals were found in Brick Township home in New Jersey
- New Jersey police officers who arrived at a Brick Township home Friday night after receiving a tip about a possible puppy mill spoke with two women in the home's driveway—and could smell what was inside, reports NJ.com . Upon entering the home, the stench and conditions were such...
Scientist's Monkey Research Is
Put on Blast: 'I'm Horrified'
Oct 24, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Scientist's Monkey Research Is Put on Blast: 'I'm Horrified'
PETA, animal behavior experts slam Harvard's Margaret Livingstone for her work; others defend her
- A Harvard neuroscientist is drawing backlash for her studies on infant monkeys, as is the scientific journal that referenced the research. Per
, Margaret Livingstone has studied the primates for more than four decades, specifically monkeys' vision. In some of the experiments she's done, in order to see how...
Turkey Farm Workers Hit
With 100+ Cruelty Charges
Oct 7, 2022 7:51 AM CDT
Turkey Farm Workers Hit With 100+ Cruelty Charges
Police say workers 'kicked, stomped, and beat turkeys' at 11 Pennsylvania farms
- Eleven turkey farm workers in Pennsylvania are facing what PETA says is "the largest number of charges in any factory-farmed animal case in US history." Police say the workers "kicked, stomped, and beat turkeys" at seven farms. the
York Daily Record
reports. More than 100 charges have...
Corrections Officer Charged
in Death of Beloved Rooster
Apr 29, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Corrections Officer Charged in Death of Beloved Rooster
Carl the Rooster once roamed the streets of of downtown Ocean Springs, Mississippi
- A corrections officer in Mississippi has been fired for her alleged role in the death of a town's most beloved rooster. Carl the Rooster was the most well-known bird in a band of chickens that has been roaming downtown Ocean Springs for years, the
reports. After Carl...
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back.
Then Cops Found a Freezer
Apr 15, 2022 11:04 AM CDT
She Didn't Get Her Snakes Back. Then Cops Found a Freezer
Michael Patrick Turland accused of stuffing 183 animals in Arizona freezer, some while still alive
- An Arizona man faces animal cruelty charges after 183 dead dogs, rabbits, birds, and other animals were found in a freezer, including some that were apparently frozen while alive, officials said. Local deputies and animal control officers found the animals in a garage freezer April 3 after a woman reported...
Suit: First She Threw His Phone,
Keys Off Balcony. Next, His Dog
Mar 3, 2022 9:55 AM CST
Suit: First She Threw His Phone, Keys Off Balcony. Next, His Dog
Florida man sues ex-girlfriend, accusing her of fatally hurling his pug Bucky 7 floors down
- A Florida man is suing a woman he had been seeing after he alleges she hurled his pug off a seventh-floor balcony, killing it. In a Monday news conference , Eric Adeson explained that he and Shelley Nicole Vaughn, 46, lived in the same Clearwater apartment building, had dated off and...
Charges Filed After an
Alleged 'Koala Massacre'
Dec 22, 2021 1:52 PM CST
Charges Filed After an Alleged 'Koala Massacre'
21 animals were found dead in February 2020, more were euthanized
- An Australian landowner and an earthmoving business face 126 animal cruelty charges apiece in connection with a February 2020 incident that one conservation group dubbed a "koala massacre." CNN reports the individual and company are accused of causing "unreasonable pain or suffering to dozens of koalas,"...
It's a 'Defining Moral
Failure of Our Age'
Dec 17, 2021 8:15 AM CST
It's a 'Defining Moral Failure of Our Age'
Ezra Klein offers ways to ease the suffering of factory-farmed animals
- In one sense, it's a typical column for this time of year: Ezra Klein of the
New York Times
is suggesting groups worthy of donations. In this case, he puts the focus on organizations that can help end or ease the suffering of factory-farmed animals. And in making his...
Dec 15, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Runaway Zebras Found in Maryland
They're back with their herd
The two zebras that had been on the loose in Maryland since August have been located and reunited with their herd, WJLA reports. Authorities say they returned to the herd last week after having been corralled in an undisclosed location. A third zebra that originally escaped with them died...
Rescue Dogs Shot Dead
Due to COVID Restrictions
Aug 22, 2021 4:19 PM CDT
Rescue Dogs Shot Dead Due to COVID Restrictions
Animal welfare group says it had a safety plan ready and was planning to take the animals
- Volunteers were ready to pick up some dogs that had been impounded in New South Wales, Australia. Instead, the dogs were shot dead. A reporter for the
Sydney Morning Herald
learned from a local government watchdog group that an animal shelter in the middle of the state—the same state...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.