Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
AOC 'Not Planning
to Primary Gillibrand'
May 1, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
AOC 'Not Planning to Primary Gillibrand'
Congresswoman's rep says she's not planning to run for Senate in 2024
- As New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand's reelection campaign nears, there has been so much speculation around the possibility of someone issuing a primary challenge from the left that, per Politico , some wondered whether the senator would even run in 2024 (she ended up announcing in January that she would)....
Tell Cuomo to Quit
Mar 12, 2021 5:05 PM CST
Schumer, Gillibrand Tell Cuomo to Quit
As accusations add up, governor has little political support in New York or Washington
- Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer and US Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand called Friday on New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo to resign, the AP reports, adding the most powerful Democratic voices yet to the movement to replace the governor in the wake of allegations of sexual harassment and groping. "Confronting and...
Exits 2020 Race
Aug 28, 2019 4:47 PM CDT
Kirsten Gillibrand Exits 2020 Race
Former presidential contender failed to meet requirements for next Democratic debate
- Shortly after news broke that Kirsten Gillibrand likely wouldn't meet the requirements for the next Democratic presidential debate, the
New York Times
reports the New York senator is dropping out of the 2020 race. Gillibrand, 52, tells the paper that missing the debate cutoff was a pivotal moment: "...
Dems Are Not
Aug 6, 2019 3:03 AM CDT
Dems Are Not Happy With
'Unbelievable' was one response to banner after weekend mass shootings
- There are plenty of armchair headline writers on any given day, but more than a few raised concerns Monday about one in particular in the
New York Times
notes disbelief and anger, especially from high-profile Democrats, was a prominent response to the way the Gray Lady chose to...
Puts His Foot
Jul 17, 2019 6:20 PM CDT
Rand Paul Puts His Foot Down Over 9/11 Bill
The Kentucky senator won't let it pass unanimously
- Republican Sen. Rand Paul on Wednesday blocked fast-track approval of a bipartisan bill that would ensure a victims' compensation fund related to the Sept. 11 attacks never runs out of money, the AP reports. Paul objected to a request by Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, D-NY, to approve the bill by unanimous...
Takeaways From Round 2
of Democratic Debates
Jun 28, 2019 2:15 AM CDT
Takeaways From Round 2 of Democratic Debates
Kamala Harris 'stole the show'
- Rep. Eric Swalwell urged Joe Biden to "pass the torch" during Thursday night's Democratic debate—but if there was anyone who took momentum from the frontrunner, it was Sen. Kamala Harris. She "stole the show" during the 10-candidate debate in Miami by challenging Biden on his record...
Democrats Clash on Race,
Socialism in Fiery Debate
Jun 27, 2019 8:44 PM CDT
Democrats Clash on Race, Socialism in Fiery Debate
Harris challenged Biden on his record
- Ten more Democrats vying to take on President Trump clashed in a debate in Miami Thursday night that featured more fiery moments than Wednesday's 10-candidate debate. The second night of Democratic debates included frontrunner Joe Biden and fellow high-polling candidates Bernie Sanders, Kamala Harris, and Pete Buttigieg. Andrew Yang,...
Judges on Reversing
Cadet's Rape Conviction:
Victim Was Too Quiet
Jun 8, 2019 8:00 AM CDT
Judges on Reversing Cadet's Rape Conviction: Victim Was Too Quiet
Chief of advocacy group for sexual assault victims calls it 'offensively bad decision' in West Point case
- A military appeals court's reversal of a West Point cadet's rape conviction and 21-year prison sentence has outraged sexual assault victim advocates who say the decision is filled with victim-blaming and antiquated notions about rape. But the cadet's attorney says the decision demonstrates the need for checks...
On This Issue,
With the Crowd
Jun 4, 2019 7:41 AM CDT
On This Issue, Buttigieg Breaks With the Crowd
Democratic presidential candidate says he wouldn't have pressured Al Franken to resign
- Pete Buttigieg is diverging from other Democratic presidential candidates who demanded former Sen. Al Franken's resignation over sexual misconduct allegations, saying he wouldn't have "applied that pressure." "It was his decision to make" and "I think the way that we basically held him to...
Plan to Give
Every US Voter
$600, Kind Of
May 1, 2019 2:26 PM CDT
Gillibrand Unveils Plan to Give Every US Voter $600, Kind Of
2020 candidate wants to get big money out of politics
- Kirsten Gillibrand wants to give you $600. Well, sort of. The Democratic senator and 2020 presidential contender unveiled her first major 2020 policy initiative Wednesday, telling NBC News in an interview that her "Clean Elections Plan" aims to make sure big money no longer plays as big of a...
Mar 17, 2019 7:33 AM CDT
Gillibrand: 'Brave' Isn't Winning Right Now
Senator announces she's officially in, first speech as candidate will be in front of president's marquee
- New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand formally joined the 2020 White House race on Sunday and previewed the hard line she will take against President Trump by announcing a rally outside one of his signature Manhattan properties. She had spent more than a month traveling the country to gauge support for...
Report Faults Gillibrand
on Her Signature Issue
Mar 11, 2019 10:05 AM CDT
Report Faults Gillibrand on Her Signature Issue
Senator is a #MeToo champion, but female aide quits over handling of harassment complaint
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand has made the #MeToo issue a signature part of her rise in politics and her 2020 presidential campaign . Now, however, Politico is out with a report that raises questions about Gillibrand's own handling of a related issue. A female staffer in her 20s quit over how...
in Her Way
Feb 20, 2019 9:25 AM CST
She Wanted Dressing. A Presidential Hopeful Was in Her Way
Iowa interaction between 'Ranch Girl' Hanna Kinney and Kirsten Gillibrand goes viral
- When Hanna Kinney tells you "I am dedicated to this ranch," believe her. The 22-year-old University of Iowa student admits she's overly fond of the condiment, which she often makes an extra run for at the Iowa City restaurant she heads to each Monday for Bible study....
Another Big Name
Jan 15, 2019 5:40 PM CST
Another Big Name Entering 2020 Presidential Race
Kirsten Gillibrand reportedly announces her plans to Stephen Colbert
- She's in: Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand on Tuesday announced to Stephen Colbert, in an interview airing on his
Tuesday night, that she is forming an exploratory committee to run for president in 2020, CBS News and CNN report. "I'm going to run for president of the...
Gillibrand's Role in Franken
Scandal May Cost Her
Nov 26, 2018 1:52 PM CST
Gillibrand's Role in Franken Scandal May Cost Her
Politico reports that big donors are angry with her for forcing his resignation
- If Kirsten Gillibrand decides to run for president, Politico reports that she shouldn't expect help from several big Democratic donors during the primaries. The reason? Her role in forcing Al Franken to resign last year. The website talks to more than a dozen big donors and bundlers on both...
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand 'Running
Perfect Presidential Campaign'
Mar 8, 2018 4:44 PM CST
Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand 'Running Perfect Presidential Campaign'
New York Democrat was 7-for-7 backing candidates in Texas primaries
- Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand is "running a perfect presidential campaign," one political consultant tells Politico . The New York Democrat backed—through endorsements and donations—seven women running for office in Texas and saw all seven of them move on during the state's primaries Tuesday. Lillian Salerno, MJ Hegar,...
May Have Written
Most Anti-Trump Editorial Yet
Dec 13, 2017 1:10 PM CST
May Have Written Most Anti-Trump Editorial Yet
'Not fit to clean the toilets in the Barack Obama Presidential Library'
- Wow, tell us how you really feel
. The newspaper absolutely unloaded on President Trump in an editorial Wednesday that is drawing attention for its scathing language. For instance: "A president who would all but call Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand a whore is not fit to clean the toilets...
Gillibrand Fires Back
at Trump for 'Sexist Smear'
Dec 12, 2017 2:14 PM CST
Gillibrand Fires Back at Trump for 'Sexist Smear'
Democrats call out president for tweet
- In defending himself against renewed allegations of sexual misconduct by female accusers, President Trump on Tuesday also called out Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand after she said he should resign. Since then, the backlash has been fast and furious from Democrats, including Gillibrand herself, who say Trump's tweet was sexist itself,...
Now in DC
Dec 8, 2017 1:22 PM CST
Now in DC Spotlight: Kirsten Gillibrand
She led the charge against fellow Democrat Al Franken
- The demise of Al Franken's career in the US Senate was hastened along by members of his own party who called for him to step down amid sexual misconduct allegations. Chief among them: New York Sen. Kirsten Gillibrand, who helped turn up the heat on Franken this week by...
After Franken Accuser No. 7,
Democrats Tell Him to Go
Dec 6, 2017 12:57 PM CST
After Franken Accuser No. 7, Democrats Tell Him to Go
More than a dozen Democratic senators have called for Franken to step down
- The heat is intensifying on Al Franken. After another woman, the seventh, came forward with allegations, Kirsten Gillibrand and other female Democratic senators called on him to resign Tuesday, reports the
. "While Senator Franken is entitled to have the Ethics Committee conclude its review, I believe it...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
Leaning Tower Shuttered Last Month Now on 'High Alert'
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Doritos Has Solved the Issue of Crunching
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.