Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Tanks Across the US
Aug 13, 2023 8:01 PM CDT
School Attendance Tanks Across the US
Millions of kids missing weeks of school, according to an AP analysis
- Across the country, students have been absent at record rates since schools reopened during the pandemic. More than a quarter of students missed at least 10% of the 2021-22 school year, making them chronically absent, according to the most recent data available. Before the pandemic, only 15% of students missed...
First Day of School Is
Aug 10, 2023 11:35 AM CDT
In Louisville, First Day of School Is 'Transportation Disaster'
Last Jefferson County Public Schools students were dropped off at 9:58pm
- For some students in Kentucky's biggest school district, the first day of school turned out to be the first night of school, too. Issues with school buses on Wednesday meant the final bus riders weren't dropped off until 9:58pm, said a rep for Jefferson County Public Schools—...
'One of Most Sex-Ridden
Books Around' Returned
to School Shelves
Jun 21, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
'One of Most Sex-Ridden Books Around' Returned to School Shelves
Utah's Davis School District reverses decision
- Bibles will return to the shelves in a northern Utah school district that provoked an outcry after it banned them from middle and elementary schools last month, the AP reports. Officials from the Davis School District said at a board meeting Tuesday that the district had determined the sacred text...
Dozens of Students Killed in
Rebel Attack on High School
Jun 17, 2023 10:45 AM CDT
Dozens of Students Killed in Rebel Attack on High School
Ugandan authorities recover more than 40 bodies, mostly kids, after suspected rebels invade
- Ugandan authorities recovered the bodies of 41 people, including 38 students, who were burned, shot, or hacked to death after suspected rebels attacked a secondary school near the border with Congo, the local mayor said Saturday. At least six people were abducted by the rebels, who fled across the porous...
Kids Need to
Phones in School
Jun 11, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Sorry, Parents, Kids Need to Lose Their Phones in School
Jonathan Haidt makes the case for it in the 'Atlantic,' citing mental health, lack of focus
- Last month, the US surgeon general released a report pointing to the links between social media and declining mental health in America's kids and teens, and Jonathan Haidt says the transition to cellphones in the late aughts and early 2010s has played a role. That's why he now...
Jun 5, 2023 7:30 PM CDT
Board OKs Religious School Funded by Taxpayers
Oklahoma's attorney general calls the plan for the school, which would be a US first, unconstitutional
- A state school board voted Monday to approve what would be the first publicly funded religious school in the nation, despite a warning from Oklahoma's attorney general that the decision was unconstitutional. The Statewide Virtual Charter School Board voted 3-2 to approve the application by the Catholic Archdiocese of...
Authorities: Teen Upset Over
Phone Set Deadly Dorm Fire
May 24, 2023 7:55 AM CDT
Authorities: Teen Upset Over Phone Set Deadly Dorm Fire
19 victims at boarding school in Mahdia, Guyana, had been locked in for the night by house mother
- Investigators in Guyana believe a fire that killed 19 people, mostly girls, trapped in a school dormitory was deliberately set by a student who was upset that her mobile phone had been confiscated, a top official said Tuesday. The suspect in the fire late Sunday, who's among the injured,...
She Was Set to
Read to Kids,
Jan 19, 2023 8:11 AM CST
She Was Set to Read to Kids, Got Derailed by Pottymouth
Texas school district cancels appearance by author Emma Straub over f-bomb-filled tweet
- On Emma Straub's website , a write-up about her newly released children's book,
Very Good Hats
, notes that the "joyous and inventive read-aloud will inspire kids to see ordinary objects in a whole new way." Straub, the daughter of horror writer Peter Straub and author of such...
at Mo. School 'Takes
Your Breath From You'
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Oct 22, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
Alarming Discovery at Mo. School 'Takes Your Breath From You'
Radioactive waste found at Jana Elementary, in St. Louis suburb where WWII nukes were made
- There's significant radioactive contamination at an elementary school in suburban St. Louis where nuclear weapons were produced during World War II, according to a new report by environmental investigation consultants. The report by Boston Chemical Data Corp. confirmed fears about contamination at Jana Elementary School, in the Hazelwood School...
Girl Gets 'Uniform
Infraction' at School
Aug 22, 2022 8:31 AM CDT
Girl Gets 'Uniform Infraction' at School —Over 'Jihab'
Teacher who wrote up 8th-grader misspelled 'hijab' on dress code violation form
- A Massachusetts school is taking heat after a teacher wrote up an eighth-grader there for wearing a hijab in class. NBC Boston reports on the incident at Mystic Valley Regional Charter School, where the girl was dinged for a "uniform infraction" for donning the religious head covering worn by...
Jun 21, 2022 9:50 AM CDT
Chappelle Has Surprise News at Theater Dedication
Theater at his alma mater, Duke Ellington School, won't be named after him after all
- Just before Dave Chappelle's most recent Netflix special dropped, his alma mater, the Duke Ellington School of the Arts in Washington, DC, announced its theater would be named for the comedian, who pledged to donate $100,000 to teachers' wages. It's "the most significant honor of my...
Florida Teacher Hospitalized
After Attack by 5-Year-Old
Mar 8, 2022 1:46 PM CST
Florida Teacher Hospitalized After Attack by 5-Year-Old
It's the third time this has happened, union president says
- A teacher in Florida was hospitalized after she was attacked by a 5-year-old special needs student her union chief describes as "enraged." According to a police report, the attack happened when the boy was taken to a "cool down" room after he started throwing things and flipping...
Abduct Principal Over
Dec 15, 2021 7:46 AM CST
Cops: Vigilantes Abduct Principal Over COVID Measures
Greek principal was driven to police station, where his alleged attackers were then detained
- Police in northern Greece have jailed several people who allegedly handcuffed a principal, forced him into a car, then drove him to a police station, demanding he be arrested for enforcing COVID-19 restrictions. Instead, members of the group known as Guardians of the Constitution, who argue the restrictions violate constitutional...
As School Day
Nov 5, 2021 10:32 AM CDT
As School Day Began, an 'Unbelievable' Crash
A moose smashed through the window of a Saskatchewan school
- An early-morning program at a Saskatchewan school proved unusually exciting for the kids in attendance this week. The CBC reports that just before 9am on Thursday, a moose was spotted lurking around the Sylvia Fedoruk School in Saskatoon, just as a before-school program was wrapping up in a community room...
Mom's Lawsuit Seeks
Order for School to Follow
Oct 11, 2021 2:52 PM CDT
Mom's Lawsuit Seeks Order for School to Follow COVID Guidelines
Wisconsin brewery's PAC is funding potential class-action suit
- A school district in Wisconsin is being sued by a woman who says her oldest son became infected after the district lifted COVID-19 protocols. The federal lawsuit filed by Shannon Jensen and other parents against the Waukesha School District is seeking class-action status, reports the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
. Jensen says...
Massachusetts Has Creative
Fix for Crippling Shortage
Sep 14, 2021 5:42 PM CDT
Massachusetts Has Creative Fix for Crippling Shortage
National Guard to fill in on school bus routes
- Schools are finally opening again; the next challenge is getting kids into the buildings. There are school bus driver shortages all over the country for many reasons. Massachusetts has a solution—at least a temporary fix. Up to 250 members of the Massachusetts National Guard who already have commercial driver’...
New Bus Driver:
Mom and Dad
Aug 18, 2021 8:08 AM CDT
Introducing Your New Bus Driver: Mom and Dad
Meanwhile, one school district will force many kids to walk
- Schools in many states are having a hard time finding school bus drivers—to the extent that one school is offering to pay parents who drive their kids. The EastSide Charter School in Wilmington, Del., is offering $700 per year for each child that is dropped off and picked up....
Texas Mother Charged After
School Stunt Video Goes Viral
Jun 6, 2021 3:30 PM CDT
Texas Mother Charged After School Stunt Video Goes Viral
30-year-old pretended to be her 13-year-old daughter for a day
- It’s not unusual for mothers and daughters to look alike and share clothes. It’s very unusual for a mom to go to middle school in her daughter’s place, however. Casey Garcia, mom to a middle schooler in San Elizario, Texas, did just that, and now faces...
Find at School Site
a 'Horrifying Reminder'
of Indigenous Abuse
May 29, 2021 9:15 AM CDT
Find at School Site a 'Horrifying Reminder' of Indigenous Abuse
Ground-penetrating radar on property in British Columbia, Canada, finds remains of 215 children
- The site of a residential school that was once the largest in Canada has been hiding a gruesome secret for more than 40 years—one that serves as "a horrifying reminder of the abuses against Indigenous people in Canada," per CTV News . On Friday, Chief Rosanne Casimir of...
CDC: Evidence Growing
on Schools, COVID
Jan 27, 2021 7:27 AM CST
CDC: Evidence Growing on Schools, COVID
Agency: In-person schooling seems to be safe if masks, social distancing are required
- Health officials say evidence continues to mount that it's generally safe to have in-person schooling, if US schools require mask wearing and other precautions. The latest study, published online Tuesday by a CDC journal,
Morbidity and Mortality Weekly Report
, looked at schools in rural Wisconsin and found cases linked...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
UCLA Pauses Dorm Project Over 'Worrisome' Room Size
Biden Makes Big Announcement on UAW Strike
Missing Star Wars Relic Turns Up in a Garage
She Has Learned What a Fatal Overdose Sounds Like
Bundchen: 'Now I'm Living,' Not Just 'Surviving'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.