Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
School to Javanka:
Take Your Kids Away
Nov 14, 2020 3:00 PM CST
School to Javanka: Take Your Kids Away
But Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner insist it was their decision
- Ivanka Trump and Jared Kushner have pulled their kids out of an upscale day school in Washington, DC, saying they needed in-person learning—but the move was apparently prompted by parental complaints, the Daily Beast reports. Parents at Milton Gottesman Jewish Day School say they were concerned about Trump and...
Aug 26, 2020 4:27 PM CDT
Court: This School Policy Violated the Constitution
Judges rule in favor of transgender rights advocates and Gavin Grimm
- A federal appeals court ruled Wednesday that a Virginia school board's transgender bathroom ban is unconstitutional and discriminated against a transgender male student who was barred from using the boys bathrooms in his high school, the AP reports. The ruling is a victory for transgender rights advocates and Gavin...
Releases New Tracker
Jul 9, 2020 9:20 AM CDT
Johns Hopkins Releases New Tracker
University says it wants to help parents, educators
- Johns Hopkins University's coronavirus tracker has helped the world monitor the pandemic's progress. The Baltimore university has now launched another tracker to look at school reopening plans across the country; coronavirus prevention measures is just one of 12 categories examined. "Not only will schools need to reopen...
Trump Threatens School
Funding Over Reopening
Jul 8, 2020 3:17 PM CDT
Trump Threatens School Funding Over Reopening
He slams 'impractical' CDC guidelines
- Vice President Mike Pence said Wednesday that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention will be issuing revised guidelines on reopening schools—hours after President Trump slammed the CDC's current guidance, which includes mask-wearing and social distancing, as "very tough & expensive." "While they want them...
Trump: Feds Will Pressure
Governors to Reopen Schools
Jul 7, 2020 5:45 PM CDT
Trump: Feds Will Pressure Governors to Reopen Schools
'They think it’s going to be good for them politically, so they keep the schools closed'
- President Trump vowed to pressure governors to reopen schools Tuesday, accusing Democrats of wanting to keep them closed for political reasons instead of health reasons. "We don’t want people to make political statements or do it for political reasons. They think it’s going to be good for...
Supreme Court Gives Victory
to Conservatives on Schools
Jun 30, 2020 10:45 AM CDT
Supreme Court Gives Victory to Conservatives on Schools
Upholds Montana program that aids religious schools
- The Supreme Court on Tuesday made it easier for religious schools to obtain public funds, upholding a Montana scholarship program that allows state tax credits for private schooling, per the AP . The court's 5-4 ruling, with conservatives in the majority, came in a dispute over a Montana scholarship program...
California's Kids Might
Start School in July
Apr 29, 2020 12:46 AM CDT
California's Kids Might Start School in July
Gov. Gavin Newsom said it's a possibility after months of distance learning
- The summertime chimes of ice cream trucks could be replaced by school bells in California. Gov. Gavin Newsom said Tuesday students could return to the classroom as early as July, and starting early could help make up for some of the “learning losses” as parents have tried to teach...
'I Just Can't Do This':
Harried Parents Are Giving Up
Apr 25, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
'I Just Can't Do This': Harried Parents Are Giving Up
Home schooling is getting harder as the weeks go by
- Frustration is mounting as more families across the US enter their second or even third week of distance learning—and some overwhelmed parents say it will be their last, the AP reports. Amid the barrage of learning apps, video meet-ups, and e-mailed assignments that pass as pandemic home school, some...
Devin Nunes Calls California
School Closure Move 'Overkill'
Apr 2, 2020 2:29 AM CDT
Devin Nunes Calls California School Closure Move 'Overkill'
Gov. Newsom confirms schools won't reopen before summer
- California's 6 million students won't be going back to school this academic year, but that doesn't mean school is out, officials say. Gov. Gavin Newsom confirmed Wednesday that schools won't reopen before summer, KGO reports. Two weeks ago, the Democrat warned that schools were likely to...
Crossing Guard, 88,
Died Saving 2 Kids
Feb 19, 2020 2:43 AM CST
Principal Says Crossing Guard, 88, Died Saving 2 Kids
'We're just so blessed that he was there'
- An 88-year-old crossing guard who died after being hit by a vehicle in Kansas City, Kansas, saved the lives of two children before the impact, a school principal says. Bob Nill, who the
reports was known affectionately as "Mr. Bob" to his young charges, was struck early...
Aim of New State Law
Is to Let Kids Sleep
Oct 14, 2019 8:07 AM CDT
Aim of New State Law Is to Let Kids Sleep
California says public schools can't start before 8am; for high schools, it's 8:30
- Students in California's public schools will be able to sleep in a little later on school days under a controversial new state law. By the start of the 2022 school year, public middle schools can begin no earlier than 8am and high schools no earlier than 8:30am, reports...
Students Told to Write 'Funny'
Captions for Slavery Photos
Sep 24, 2019 7:11 PM CDT
Students Told to Write 'Funny' Captions for Slavery Photos
New York teacher is under investigation
- A Long Island teacher is under investigation for assigning students to write "funny" captions for images of slaves in cotton fields. The 8th graders at John W. Dodd Middle School in Freeport, New York, were given the black and white photos and told to "write something funny" as...
School Hair Guidelines
Spark Ferocious Debate
Aug 3, 2019 11:30 AM CDT
School Hair Guidelines Spark Ferocious Debate
Many say Narvie Harris Elementary focused unfairly on black hairstyles
- A Georgia elementary school is in the spotlight after putting up a poster showing "appropriate" and "inappropriate" hairstyles—all for black students, CNN reports. An image of the poster appeared on Facebook and sparked about 2,000 comments about dress codes, hair, and the possible racism of focusing...
Missing Teacher Found
Buried Under School Track
Jun 22, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Missing Teacher Found Buried Under School Track
His son says it's all about official corruption
- A teacher missing for over 16 years has finally turned up—buried right out in the schoolyard, the BBC reports. Police in China say they've found the remains of Deng Shiping under the track of a school sports facility he wouldn't approve because he thought it was poorly...
She Was Fired for
Feeding a Student.
Now, a New Offer
May 18, 2019 5:30 AM CDT
She Was Fired for Feeding a Student. Now, a New Offer
But New Hampshire's Bonnie Kimball simply isn't interested in getting her job back
- A company has offered to rehire a New Hampshire school cafeteria worker it fired for giving a student lunch for free, but she isn't interested. Bonnie Kimball said she was terminated March 28 by Fresh Picks, a vendor that supplies food to the Mascoma Valley Regional High School in...
Ohio School Shuts Doors
Over Radioactive Contamination
May 15, 2019 2:03 PM CDT
Ohio School Shuts Doors Over Radioactive Contamination
Enriched uranium detected near former nuclear plant
- A scary situation got school shut down for summer break a week early in Piketon, Ohio: reports of radioactive contamination on the campus. Superintendent Todd Burkitt of the Scioto Valley Local School District has urged calm despite positive tests for enriched uranium inside Zahn's Corner Middle School and evidence...
Introducing the World's
Feb 24, 2019 8:10 AM CST
Introducing the World's Loneliest Kindergartener
Wyoming is opening a 1-kid school in the fall; actually its second
- A Wyoming school district plans to re-open an isolated school to serve a single student entering kindergarten this fall, reports the AP. The Cozy Hollow School, about 60 miles north of Laramie, already has a modular classroom but it hasn't been used for about a decade. It will be...
Schools' Black History Lessons
Made a 'Mockery' of Slavery
Feb 22, 2019 8:37 AM CST
Schools' Black History Lessons Made a 'Mockery' of Slavery
Districts in Virginia, SC, say changes will be made
- A school district in northern Virginia has had to clarify that "slavery is not a game" after students were asked to pose as slaves while completing an obstacle course meant to symbolize the Underground Railroad. The lesson for Black History Month, given to third-, fourth- and fifth-grade students at...
Teacher Says She Got
Fired for Giving Zeros
Sep 25, 2018 4:32 PM CDT
Teacher Says She Got Fired for Giving Zeros
Diane Tirado refused to follow the 'no zero' policy
- Should students get something for nothing? Diane Tirado doesn't think so, and claims she got fired for it. The 52-year-old teacher says West Gate K-8 School in Port St. Lucie, Fla., let her go when she refused to give students a half-credit for handing in nothing, CBS 12 reports....
Teacher on Leave After
'Gross' Slavery Assignment
Apr 20, 2018 9:57 AM CDT
Teacher on Leave After 'Gross' Slavery Assignment
Worksheet at Texas charter school asked students to list both negative and positive aspects of slavery
- When Roberto Livar's wife picked up their son Wednesday from Great Hearts Monte Vista charter school in San Antonio, Texas, the 8
-grader was "distraught" over an assignment in history class, Livar tells KABB . The worksheet he completed was entitled "The Life of Slaves: A Balanced View,"...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.