Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Now Legal in Spain:
Paid Menstrual Leave
Feb 17, 2023 10:38 AM CST
Now Legal in Spain: Paid Menstrual Leave
Country also passes laws expanding abortion and transgender rights for teenagers
- The Spanish parliament on Thursday approved legislation expanding abortion and transgender rights for teenagers, while making Spain the first country in Europe that will entitle workers to paid menstrual leave. The driving force behind the two laws was Equality Minister Irene Montero. The changes to sexual and reproductive rights mean...
Menstrual Questions Dropped
From Florida High School Form
Feb 9, 2023 5:15 PM CST
Menstrual Questions Dropped From Florida High School Form
Governing group votes down making answers from student-athletes mandatory
- Female high school athletes in Florida will no longer undergo official questioning about their menstrual cycles. The governing body of interscholastic sports in the state voted Thursday to drop the four questions from the form sent to schools; athletes will only be asked health questions to ensure they're physically...
Alters Rules on
Nov 18, 2022 9:15 AM CST
Wimbledon Alters Rules on Female Underwear
Colored undergarments will be accepted following complaints related to menstruation
- It's official: Female players no longer have to wear white underwear at Wimbledon. Tournament organizers announced the change to the typical all-white uniform on Thursday in response to concerns about menstruation. Beginning next year, female players "will have the option of wearing colored undershorts if they choose,"...
Giving 'Period Dignity' Job
to a Man Doesn't Go Over Well
Sep 7, 2022 12:28 PM CDT
Giving 'Period Dignity' Job to a Man Doesn't Go Over Well
Scotland's Period Dignity Working Group cites 'threats and abuse' in axing job
- A person appointed to a first-of-its-kind role as "period dignity officer" in Scotland has seen that job vanish after threats stemming from the fact that said person is a man. Jason Grant, a former personal trainer, faced "bewilderment and widespread criticism" when it was announced earlier this summer...
Scotland's 'Period Poverty'
Law Comes Into Force
Aug 15, 2022 3:01 PM CDT
Scotland's 'Period Poverty' Law Comes Into Force
Authorities are legally obliged to provide products to anybody who needs them
- Like many places, Scotland is experiencing a severe cost-of-living crisis. But unlike anywhere else, local authorities are now legally required to provide tampons and other period products free of charge to anybody who needs them. The Period Products Act, which passed the Scottish Parliament in a unanimous vote in 2020,...
Largest Study Yet Looks at
Period Changes After Vaccine
Jul 23, 2022 11:03 AM CDT
Largest Study Yet Looks at Period Changes After Vaccine
Many survey respondents described change in flow; others saw breakthrough bleeding
- More than half of survey respondents with regular periods before receiving a COVID-19 vaccine described changes in their menstrual cycle afterward. The largest study on the issue to date found that 44% of 16,000 respondents with regular periods before vaccination experienced no change in their menstrual cycle afterward, per...
Popular Period Tracker Says
It's Got Users' Backs on Privacy
Jun 30, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Popular Period Tracker Says It's Got Users' Backs on Privacy
Flo launches 'Anonymous Mode' to scrub customer identifiers that can aid in abortion prosecutions
- As women scramble to delete period and fertility tracker apps from their mobile devices in the wake of last week's Roe v. Wade decision , with fears that data from such apps could be tied to prosecutions over abortion, one of the largest health apps is assuring customers their information...
Ruling Sparks Calls
to Delete Period Apps
Jun 27, 2022 1:14 AM CDT
Ruling Sparks Calls to Delete Period Apps
Experts caution data could be used in abortion prosecutions
- Many users find menstrual period tracking apps helpful in trying to become pregnant, or avoid pregnancy, or just know when they're due for their next period. But the Supreme Court's rejection of Roe v. Wade increased the fear that the data collected by the apps could be turned...
Lydia Ko's Honesty Leaves
May 3, 2022 5:37 PM CDT
Lydia Ko's Honesty Leaves Reporter Speechless
She was praised for speaking openly on a topic many would rather avoid
- Golf pro Lydia Ko had a pretty good day at the Palos Verdes Championship, finishing one-under 70 for third place. Midway through the final round, however, she was seen receiving treatment from her physical therapist. In a follow-up interview, Golf Channel reporter Jerry Foltz asked whether there was any cause...
Study On COVID Shot,
Menstruation is 'Reassuring'
Jan 9, 2022 8:45 AM CST
Study On COVID Shot, Menstruation is 'Reassuring'
Vaccines may cause irregular periods, but only temporarily
- A new study appears to validate reports from women who experience changes to their menstrual cycles after receiving COVID vaccinations, but researchers are saying not to panic. Per the
New York Times
, some women experienced later periods than usual, while others said bleeding became heavier or was accompanied by pain....
900 Women Had Period Issues
After Portland Protests
Apr 29, 2021 10:35 AM CDT
900 Women Had Period Issues After Portland Protests
Survey raises concerns about the effect of tear gas on endocrine system
- A new study is lending credence to widespread claims from protesters that tear gas messed with their periods. Dozens of protesters told media outlets about period irregularities, which they blamed on tear gas exposure, following protests across the country last summer. Now, those claims take center stage in an anonymous...
Prison Worker: I Wore Tampon,
Was Fired for 'Smuggling'
Feb 25, 2021 8:53 AM CST
Prison Worker: I Wore Tampon, Was Fired for 'Smuggling'
Joyce Flores says guards monitoring body cameras mistook the product for contraband
- A former employee at a Virginia prison says she put in a tampon and headed to work—and for that, she was fired. In a sex discrimination lawsuit, dental hygienist Joyce Flores, 48, says she was interrogated for hours at Augusta Correctional Center on July 17, 2019, after a body...
NZ's Prime Minister Has a Plan
to Reduce 'Period Poverty'
Feb 18, 2021 12:05 PM CST
NZ's Prime Minister Has a Plan to Reduce 'Period Poverty'
Jacinda Ardern announces that free menstrual products are coming to schools in June
- Students will soon have access to free period products across New Zealand, following a similar move in Scotland . Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern said Thursday that all schools would offer free menstrual products for the next three years, at a cost of about $18 million. The products will be made available...
'About Bloody Time:' Scotland
Announces a Bold First
Nov 25, 2020 6:37 AM CST
'About Bloody Time:' Scotland Announces a Bold First
Country is first to make period products free for all in move to end 'period poverty'
- The struggle to find and buy menstrual products is over for women and girls in Scotland. On Tuesday, the country became the first to approve legislation to provide free and universal access to menstrual products in public facilities, following a four-year campaign. It involved ushering menstruation into public discourse and...
No Shame in
Aug 12, 2020 5:01 AM CDT
Company: No Shame in Resting on Your Period
Zomato introduces paid period leave for women and transgender employees
- One of the world's largest food delivery companies says it hopes to combat stigma around menstruation by offering up to 10 days of "period leave" per year. "This is a part of life," says Deepinder Goyal, founder and CEO of Zomato, which recently acquired Uber's...
No More 'Feminine Hygiene'
Products in This Supermarket
Jun 26, 2020 8:43 AM CDT
No More 'Feminine Hygiene' Products in This Supermarket
NZ's Countdown chain will drop euphemisms, just use 'period' for tampons, pads, and menstrual cups
- New Zealand shoppers annoyed at tap-dancing around the word "period" on menstrual products may want to start doing their shopping at Countdown: The
reports that the supermarket chain will be nixing euphemistic terms such as "sanitary" and "feminine hygiene" on products like tampons, pads, and menstrual...
Another Death Prompts First
Arrest in Age-Old Custom
Dec 27, 2019 12:48 PM CST
Another Death Prompts First Arrest in Age-Old Custom
Brother-in-law arrested in Nepal after woman dies in menstruation hut on cold night
- It's called "chhaupadi," an age-old practice in Nepal in which women are forced out of the home while menstruating and into makeshift huts, even in the bitter cold. The nation outlawed the practice last year, but the custom persists. Now, however, a young woman's death has...
Store Faces Backlash
Over 'Miss Period' Badge
Nov 29, 2019 7:25 AM CST
Store Faces Backlash Over 'Miss Period' Badge
Outcry after Japan's Daimaru debuts badge alerting others to workers' menstrual status
- A Japanese department store that says it was trying to help out its female employees is now facing backlash over a uniform accessory. The BBC reports the hubbub is centered on a badge that Daimaru introduced in October to hundreds of workers in its women's wardrobe department. One side...
Oct 30, 2019 9:55 AM CDT
Missouri Health Chief Tracked Planned Parenthood Patients' Periods
Data indicated 4 failed abortions out of thousands
- Missouri's health director admitted Tuesday to tracking the menstrual periods of women who visited the sole abortion clinic in the state with the goal of identifying those who had failed procedures. Planned Parenthood's St. Louis clinic is facing accusations of failed medical abortions as it fights to remain...
Always: Our Pads
Aren't Just for Females
Oct 23, 2019 12:17 PM CDT
Always: Our Pads Aren't Just for Females
Company will remove Venus symbol from packaging
- Always is scrubbing the female gender symbol from the packaging of its sanitary pads in an effort to be more inclusive of transgender and non-binary customers. The move comes after LGBTQ activist Ben Saunders—named Young Campaigner of the Year by LGBTQ rights charity Stonewall—asked the company to remove...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
27 Years After Tupac Shakur Killing, a Murder Charge
Costco's Newest Product Keeps Selling Out in Just 'Hours'
First Trump Co-Defendant Pleads Guilty in Georgia
Dianne Feinstein Is Dead at 90
One Line Explained Feinstein's Role in Gay Rights
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.