Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Possibly One of Biggest
Methane Leaks Ever
Jun 15, 2022 3:00 AM CDT
Satellite Spots Possibly One of Biggest Methane Leaks Ever
In Siberia, according to private company that tracks methane emissions
- A private company that uses satellites to spot sources of methane emissions around the globe said Wednesday that it detected one of the largest artificial releases of the potent greenhouse gas ever seen, coming from a coal mine in Russia earlier this year. Montreal-based GHGSat said one of its satellites,...
Country Plans First Tax
on Cow, Sheep Burps
Jun 12, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Country Plans First Tax on Cow, Sheep Burps
New Zealand is including agriculture in emissions-trading scheme
- New Zealand is looking into slapping a tax on one of the country's main sources of greenhouse-gas emissions: The livestock that outnumber human New Zealanders by more than seven to one. Agriculture accounts for around half the country's emissions, mainly methane produced by the burps of sheep and...
Research Adds to Case
Against Gas Stoves
Apr 10, 2022 6:05 PM CDT
Research Adds to Case Against Gas Stoves
Scientists say potentially harmful emissions are worse than thought
- Among environmental researchers and government regulators, it’s already common knowledge that gas appliances produce emissions that are potentially harmful to humans, including nitrogen oxides, toxic particulate matter, carbon monoxide, and even formaldehyde. That’s why furnaces and water heaters are required to be vented outside the building. Researchers are...
Steep Rise in Methane
Is 'Extremely Disturbing'
Apr 8, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Steep Rise in Methane Is 'Extremely Disturbing'
Emissions jumped by record amount last year
- Methane doesn't linger in the air for anywhere near as long as the more notorious greenhouse gas carbon dioxide—but it traps heat 25 times more efficiently, and scientists say the recent steep rise in methane emissions is very disturbing. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration says the concentration...
Evidence of Alien Life Might
Emerge in a Cloud of Methane
Apr 2, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Evidence of Alien Life Might Emerge in a Cloud of Methane
The trick will be ruling out nonbiological explanations
- Methane—a key ingredient in delightful things like swamp gas, flatulence, and fossil-fuel emissions —could also prove to be a key biosignature, i.e., evidence of extraterrestrial life. Thus, the gas is top-of-mind for scientists preparing to receive an influx of data from the James Webb Space Telescope. According...
US, China Agree to
Work Together on Something
Nov 11, 2021 4:12 AM CST
US, China Agree to Work Together on Something
'We need to think big and be responsible,' Chinese envoy says at UN talks on climate change
- The world’s top carbon polluters, China and the United States, agreed Wednesday to increase their cooperation and speed up action to rein in climate-damaging emissions, signaling a mutual effort on global warming at a time of tension over their other disputes. In back-to-back news conferences at UN climate talks...
Amid Lofty Goals,
a More Earthly Snub
Nov 2, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
Amid Lofty Goals, a More Earthly Snub
Israeli minister was shut out of climate meetings because forum wasn't wheelchair accessible
- The world climate summit continues in Scotland, and the coverage of COP26 is wide-ranging. A sample:
The US has formally rejoined a group known as the High Ambition Coalition at the climate talks, reports the
. The group, made up of developed and developing countries, will push for nations
EPA Cracking Down on Methane
Nov 2, 2021 3:08 AM CDT
EPA Cracking Down on Methane
EPA's 'historic action' will 'ensure robust and lasting cuts in pollution across the country'
- The Biden administration is launching a wide-ranging plan to reduce methane emissions, targeting a potent greenhouse gas that contributes significantly to global warming and packs a stronger short-term punch than even carbon dioxide. The plan was being announced Tuesday as President Biden wraps up a two-day appearance at a United...
Ship Finds Scary Gas
Bubbling From the Deep
Nov 1, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Ship Finds Scary Gas Bubbling From the Deep
A scientific team finds methane off the coast of Siberia
- Those are methane bubbles—and that's not good news. So said a group of international scientists after analyzing the Siberian coast along the Arctic Ocean, the Weather Channel reports. The 60-member team said the bubbles were mostly dissolving in water, but high methane levels at the surface suggest that...
'It Was Making Noises.
It Was Like Something Alive'
Sep 9, 2020 11:48 AM CDT
'It Was Making Noises. It Was Like Something Alive'
Crater 17 is discovered in Siberia
- "It was making noises. It was like something alive." And now there are at least 17 of them.
reports journalists with Russian news agency Vesti Yamal in July observed a 164-foot-deep crater on the Yamal Peninsula, the 17th such crater to have been found in a...
of Its Cows
Jul 14, 2020 2:18 PM CDT
Burger King Changes Diet of Its Cows
A little lemongrass could help combat climate change
- Burger King is staging an intervention with its cows, per the AP . The chain has rebalanced the daily diet of some of the cows by adding 100 grams of lemongrass in a bid to limit bovine contributions to climate change. By tweaking the diet, Burger King said Tuesday that it...
This EPA Rollback
Has a Twist
Aug 29, 2019 8:30 AM CDT
This EPA Rollback Has a Twist
Agency moves to loosen methane regulations, but big companies like Exxon oppose the idea
- The EPA has begun the process of overturning an Obama-era rule on the emission of methane at oil and gas operations, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. The move is in line with the Trump administration's anti-regulatory philosophy, but environmentalists are incensed because methane is seen as a major contributor...
New Sign of
Life on Mars
Jun 22, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Mars Rover Finds Possible New Sign of Life on Mars
The Curiosity rover detected a puff of gas
- It's been a while, but Martian methane is back. NASA's Curiosity rover detected rich amounts of methane in the planet's air on Wednesday, reigniting hope of life on Mars, the
New York Times
reports. "Given this surprising result, we've reorganized the weekend to run a...
Levels Haven't Been
This Bad in 3M Years
Nov 22, 2018 10:30 AM CST
Greenhouse Gas Levels Haven't Been This Bad in 3M Years
Researcher says the gravity has 'not sunk in'
- Congratulations, you've lived to see a planet transformed back to the Pliocene Epoch , at least in terms of greenhouse gas levels. "The window of opportunity for action is almost closed," says the UN's World Meteorological Organization after its annual assessment found concentrations of carbon dioxide in...
White House Takes Third Step
to Ease Greenhouse Gas Rules
Sep 11, 2018 7:47 AM CDT
White House Takes Third Step to Ease Greenhouse Gas Rules
Administration plans to weaken restrictions on the release of methane gas
- The Trump White House thinks the previous administration went overboard on rules about greenhouse gases, and it's about to make its third big move to correct that. After earlier moves on carbon dioxide pollution from autos and coal plants , this time it's all about methane, reports the
Scientists Trying a Cow Trick:
Adding Seaweed to Feed
Aug 31, 2018 2:47 PM CDT
Scientists Trying a Cow Trick: Adding Seaweed to Feed
The test will see whether it can reduce emissions of methane, a greenhouse gas
- University of California researchers are feeding seaweed to dairy cows in an attempt to make cattle more climate-friendly, per the AP . UC Davis is studying whether adding small amounts of seaweed to cattle feed can help reduce their emissions of methane, a potent greenhouse gas that's released when cattle...
Court: EPA Can't Delay
Obama-Era Methane Rule
Jul 4, 2017 12:37 AM CDT
Court: EPA Can't Delay Obama-Era Methane Rule
Pruitt overstepped authority, DC court says
- A federal appeals court ruled Monday that the head of the Environmental Protection Agency overstepped his authority in trying to delay implementation of an Obama administration rule requiring oil and gas companies to monitor and reduce methane leaks. In a split decision, the three-judge panel from the US Court of...
Fails to Repeal
May 10, 2017 4:34 PM CDT
Surprise! Senate Fails to Repeal Obama-Era Rule
It was a rare victory for environmentalists during Trump presidency
- Something unprecedented under President Trump's watch happened Wednesday: The Senate failed to repeal an Obama-era rule. The
reports it was a surprise 49-51 defeat for a resolution that would have repealed a Bureau of Land Management rule curbing methane emissions, with Republicans John McCain, Lindsey Graham, and...
'Super Grass' to Reduce
From Belching Cows
Oct 16, 2016 2:59 PM CDT
'Super Grass' to Reduce Methane Emissions From Belching Cows
Researchers say they're able to genetically modify the grass for easier digestion
- The grass is about to get greener thanks to DNA technology out of Denmark. Researchers say they've genetically modified a "super grass" that is easier on cow's stomachs, thereby helping them digest the grass more easily and thus belch out less methane gas, reports the BBC . (No,...
Surprise Global Warming
Oct 1, 2016 2:54 PM CDT
Surprise Global Warming Contributor: Reservoirs
They produce as much yearly greenhouse gas emissions as Brazil
- There's a new enemy in the battle against global warming: reservoirs. Researchers studying more than 250 of the world's reservoirs found they produce the equivalent of 1 gigaton of carbon dioxide every year, the
reports. According to
, that's about the same amount of...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Tom Brady, Gisele Bundchen Hire Divorce Attorneys
Family 'Destroyed' After Tragedy During College Parents Weekend
Brad Pitt Fires Back at Angelina Jolie
It's Canned Water. And It's Nearly a Unicorn
Herschel Walker's Abortion Story Was No Secret
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.