Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
2nd Stanley Cup
in 10 Months
Jul 8, 2021 12:02 AM CDT
Lightning Win 2nd Stanley Cup in 10 Months
This time, it was in front of fans
- After the Tampa Bay Lightning beat the Montreal Canadiens 1-0 on Wednesday night to end the final in five games and win their second championship in 10 months, captain Steven Stamkos hoisted the Stanley Cup in front of 18,110 fans—18,110 more than the last time he did...
19, Killed by Puck
Mar 17, 2021 7:44 AM CDT
Hockey Player, 19, Killed by Puck
Timur Faizutdinov was struck in the head, collapsed during Friday game
- A 19-year-old Russian hockey player has died after being hit in the head by a puck, his team announced Tuesday. Defenseman Timur Faizutdinov of the Dynamo St. Petersburg's junior hockey team was struck in the head by a puck hit from center ice during a Friday playoff game against...
Star Goalie Needs
Dec 28, 2020 11:21 AM CST
Star Goalie Needs Open-Heart Surgery
'We all have our mountains to climb,' says NHL's Henrik Lundqvist
- He's been one of the elite goaltenders in the NHL for the last 15 years or so, but Henrik Lundqvist has a bigger challenge ahead. The 38-year-old announced Monday that he will undergo open-heart surgery, reports the AP . Lundqvist has spent most of his career with the New York...
Big Update for One
Sport's 2021 Plans
Dec 19, 2020 5:30 AM CST
Big Update for One Sport's 2021 Plans
56-game NHL season will start Jan. 13, pending various approvals
- The National Hockey League and players reached a tentative deal Friday to hold a 56-game season in 2021 beginning Jan. 13, pending the approval of each side's executive board and Canadian health officials. Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly confirmed the agreement, per the AP . The NHL Players' Association's board...
Paralyzed 11 Seconds
Into His First Game, He
Became an 'Inspiration'
Oct 30, 2020 6:42 AM CDT
Paralyzed 11 Seconds Into His First Game, He Became an 'Inspiration'
Former Boston University hockey player Travis Roy dead at 45
- Travis Roy, the Boston University hockey player who was paralyzed 11 seconds into his first college shift and went on to become an advocate for spinal cord injury survivors both in and outside the sports world, has died. He was 45. His death was confirmed by the BU athletic department...
Cops Show Up
Yell One Word
Sep 25, 2020 12:41 PM CDT
Cops Show Up After Overeager Hockey Fans Yell One Word
Apparently your neighbors might get nervous hearing 'Shoot! Shoot!'
- There are casual sports fans who tune in only during playoff season, and then there are the die-hards. Devon Garnett is definitely in the latter camp , though his enthusiasm for hockey caused a bit of a commotion Wednesday. That's the night the Tampa Bay Lightning played Game 3 of...
Analyst Fired for
'Boobs': I'm the Victim
Jul 21, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
Analyst Fired for Discussing Co-Worker's 'Boobs': I'm the Victim
Jeremy Roenick, formerly of NBC Sports, sues, claiming anti-straight discrimination
- Former hockey star and NBC Sports analyst Jeremy Roenick has sued the network, claiming he was discriminated against for being straight. Roenick was fired after a December appearance on the Barstool Sports podcast "Spittin' Chiclets," where he mentioned wanting a threesome with his wife and a co-worker during...
NHL Wants to Go
Straight to Playoffs
May 26, 2020 6:34 PM CDT
NHL Wants to Go Straight to Playoffs
Plan involves 24 teams playing in two cities
- The National Hockey League says its regular season is over—but the playoffs could still happen. The league has released a "Return to Play" plan that includes 24 of its 31 teams in playoffs that will take place in two "hub cities," one for the Eastern Conference...
Ex-NHL Tough Guy:
'Worst Thing Ever'
May 4, 2020 12:03 AM CDT
Ex-NHL Tough Guy: Coronavirus Is 'Worst Thing Ever'
Georges Laraque describes harrowing battle with COVID-19: 'It really hurts'
- Former NHL tough guy Georges Laraque this weekend started detailing his battle with the coronavirus on his Facebook page, as he's hospitalized in the Montreal area. Just a couple weeks ago, the 43-year-old was running six days a week training for a marathon. Now, "I can’t even...
NHL Player Dies After
Being Rushed to Hospital
Apr 12, 2020 4:00 PM CDT
NHL Player Dies After Being Rushed to Hospital
Colby Cave suffered a brain bleed
- An Edmonton Oilers player has died at age 25 after suffering a brain bleed, Fox News reports. Colby Cave was hospitalized Tuesday in Toronto, per
, then placed in a medically induced coma after surgery to ease pressure on his brain. Now his wife Emily is mourning his Saturday passing:...
Guess Why They Nixed
Mar 7, 2020 12:30 PM CST
Guess Why They Nixed Hockey Championships
Yes, the coronavirus
- The women's world hockey championships in Canada were canceled Saturday because of the new coronavirus. International Ice Hockey Federation President René Fasel tells the AP the decision was made by conference call. The two-week tournament was set to open March 31, with venues in Halifax and Truro, Nova Scotia....
Only Girl on School
She Scored Twice
Mar 5, 2020 12:48 PM CST
Fans Mocked Only Girl on School Hockey Team. She Scored Twice
Fans yelled insults about Alyssa Wruble, put up a 'gender reveal' sign
- With two older brothers, a longtime love of ice hockey, and a competitive streak that enables her to brush off low-key trash-talking during games, Pennsylvania teen Alyssa Wruble knows what it is to be tough. As the only girl on Northampton Area High School's varsity team, the 17-year-old tells...
Chilling Hockey Injury
Has Surprise Ending
Mar 4, 2020 5:00 PM CST
Chilling Hockey Injury Has Surprise Ending
Johnny Boychuk needs 90 stitches after a skate cuts through his eyelid
- Johnny Boychuk is beyond lucky. The New York Islander took a skate to the face Tuesday that slashed his eyelid but apparently left his eye intact,
reports. "Johnny Boychuk is OK," the team's general manager, Lou Lamoriello, told reporters. "There's been no damage...
'Miracle on Ice' Player
Found Unfit to Stand Trial
Oct 29, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
'Miracle on Ice' Player Found Unfit to Stand Trial
Mark Pavelich's family blames NHL head injuries
- Mark Pavelich, a member of the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" US hockey team, attacked a neighbor after a fishing trip in August, authorities say—but he will not be standing trial for the assault any time soon. At a court hearing in Minnesota on Monday, Judge Michael Cuzzo suspended...
NHL Team Solves Its
Taylor Swift 'Curse'
Oct 14, 2019 7:46 AM CDT
NHL Team Solves Its Taylor Swift 'Curse'
LA Kings cover up banner of the star in Staples Center that fans think is causing team to lose
- They can't shake it off, and they won't take it down, but they can cover it up. The latter is what management for the Los Angeles Kings has done, and will continue to do, during home games to deal with a banner of Taylor Swift that hangs in...
Pam Gets the Last Laugh
on Jim With Stanley Cup
Jun 13, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
Pam Gets the Last Laugh on Jim With Stanley Cup
'Office' stars John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer troll each other over hockey rivalry
- It's been six years since we were last treated to the practical jokes, camera mugging, and general tomfoolery from the cast of
, but two of its biggest stars just brought us back down memory lane with some master-level Stanley Cup trolling. Jenna Fischer and John Krasinski were...
From Worst to First:
Blues Win Stanley Cup
Jun 13, 2019 1:03 AM CDT
From Worst to First: Blues Win Stanley Cup
Teams hoists cup for first time after Game 7 win
- St. Louis Blues goalie Jordan Binnington capped off one of the great rookie runs in NHL history Wednesday night. He stopped 32 shots, and Conn Smythe Trophy winner Ryan O'Reilly scored for the fourth straight game Wednesday night to lead the Blues to a 4-1 victory over Boston in...
Putin Takes a Tumble
During His Victory Lap
May 10, 2019 5:56 PM CDT
Putin Takes a Tumble During His Victory Lap
Russian president scores six times in exhibition game
- A trip-and-fall marred Vladimir Putin's victory lap Friday. The Russian president and amateur hockey player was skating around a rink, waving to fans, when his skates caught on a rug and he tumbled onto the ice. Other skaters tried to warn Putin, but couldn't reach him in time,...
Radio Host Hangs Up on
Interviewee Over Accent
May 9, 2019 1:57 PM CDT
Radio Host Hangs Up on Interviewee Over Accent
'He had a southern accent. I can't take it. Hockey and southern accents'
- Chip Alexander, the Carolina Hurricanes beat writer for the
Raleigh News & Observer
, was in the middle of WBZ-FM's
Toucher & Rich
radio show when he was abruptly cut off. Why? Turns out Boston sports talk radio host Fred Toettcher couldn't handle his voice. "I can't...
He Made His Living as an NHL
Fighter. Now, the Lawsuit
May 7, 2019 11:10 AM CDT
He Made His Living as an NHL Fighter. Now, the Lawsuit
Widow of Todd Ewen sues league, says CTE led to her husband's suicide
- Todd Ewen was the classic NHL "enforcer" during his 11 seasons in the league. Translation: He "fought in almost every one of his games," writes Nicolas Pollock in the
. The sad footnote: Ewen committed suicide in 2015 at age 49. His widow, Kelli, blames the NHL,...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Longtime ESPN Journalist Comes Out as Transgender
Illinois Has a New Name for 'Delicious' Invasive Species
Her Photo Was Used for Story About 'Fat' Women. Now She's Suing
Cops Can't Find Mom, Kids Who Were Staying With Flash Star
They Were Barred From Guarding Chauvin, Just Got $1.5M
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.