Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 60 |
In Scary Fight,
Knocks Out Rookie
Apr 16, 2019 8:06 AM CDT
In Scary Fight, NHL Superstar Knocks Out Rookie
Andrei Svechnikov, 19, did not return to the game after bout with Alexander Ovechkin, 33
- NHL superstar Alexander Ovechkin is used to making headlines in the playoffs, but not like this. The 33-year-old captain of the Washington Capitals got into a scary fight with 19-year-old rookie Andrei Svechnikov of the Carolina Hurricanes on Monday, and Ovechkin knocked the teen woozy with a flurry of punches...
Coach Drops 10 F-Bombs
in 26 Seconds. It Worked
Apr 13, 2019 8:31 AM CDT
Coach Drops 10 F-Bombs in 26 Seconds. It Worked
John Tortorella's gone-viral speech seems to have done the trick in NHL playoffs
- The hockey world can't quite figure it out. The Tampa Bay Lightning ran away with the regular season and were the overwhelming favorite to win the Stanley Cup before the playoffs began. But the No. 1 seed has looked awful in dropping the first two games of its best-of-seven...
Young Players Defend Black
Teammate. NHL Players Notice
Jan 10, 2019 9:00 AM CST
Young Players Defend Black Teammate. NHL Players Notice
Washington Capitals invite youth team to NHL game after incident last month
- A youth hockey team in Maryland who stood up for a black teammate enduring racial taunts will get a surprise reward. The Washington Capitals are providing 60 tickets to the Metro Maple Leafs to attend a game next week. The gesture follows an incident in December in which Leafs player...
NHL Orders Player to Cease
'Unacceptable' On-Ice Tactic
May 7, 2018 2:26 AM CDT
NHL Orders Player to Cease 'Unacceptable' On-Ice Tactic
League says Brad Marchand has been put on notice for licking, kissing opponents
- Unlike charging, kneeing, cross-checking, hooking, and spearing, licking isn't on the National Hockey League's list of infractions —but that doesn't mean Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand can keep doing it. The league says Marchand was put "on notice" after licking the face of the Tampa...
To Honor Humboldt,
Canadians Grab Their Sticks
Apr 10, 2018 11:00 AM CDT
To Honor Humboldt, Canadians Grab Their Sticks
Thousands in Canada (and around the world) are using #PutYourSticksOut
- It started when a resident of Humboldt, Saskatchewan, left a hockey stick standing on the porch. "The boys might need it … wherever they are," the person wrote in a text to TSN hockey analyst Brian Munz, referring to the 15 people killed Friday when a bus carrying...
In Wake of Hockey Team Crash,
a Painful Coroner Mix-Up
Apr 9, 2018 11:25 AM CDT
In Wake of Hockey Team Crash, a Painful Coroner Mix-Up
Player identified as dead is alive, and vice versa
- A wrenching mix-up in the aftermath of the deadly collision of a bus carrying a junior hockey team with a semi-trailer on Friday evening in Western Canada. The death toll stands at 15, with the CBC reporting player Xavier Labelle had been put on the list of the dead. The...
Hockey Team's Coach, Captain
Among 15 Killed in Bus Crash
Apr 7, 2018 4:59 PM CDT
Hockey Team's Coach, Captain Among 15 Killed in Bus Crash
Team's radio announcer also confirmed dead
- Canadian police say the death toll in a crash between a truck and a bus carrying a hockey team has risen to 15, the AP reports. Police say there were 29 people on the bus, which was carrying the Humboldt Broncos, a team in the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League The...
14 Dead in Hockey Team
Apr 7, 2018 6:00 AM CDT
14 Dead in Hockey Team Bus Crash
Parents in grief after semi hits team bus
- Tragedy in Western Canada: A bus carrying a junior hockey team collided with a semi-trailer on Friday evening, leaving 14 dead and the remaining 14 injured, three of them critically. The Humboldt Broncos of the Saskatchewan Junior Hockey League were traveling to the town of Nipawin for a playoff game...
He Entered Game
an Accountant, Left
It a 'Hockey Legend'
Mar 30, 2018 7:03 AM CDT
He Entered Game an Accountant, Left It a 'Hockey Legend'
Scott Foster shines for Chicago Blackhawks in NHL debut
- It's the stuff sports dreams are made of. A hockey player who has never played professionally—he usually shows off his talents in a beer league—not only took the ice for an actual NHL game Thursday but emerged the shining star. Scott Foster, a 36-year-old accountant who played...
In Florida, Hockey Underdogs
Provide a Lift to School
Feb 26, 2018 11:45 AM CST
In Florida, Hockey Underdogs Provide a Lift to School
Stoneman Douglas team wins state championship
- The boys' ice hockey team at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School pulled off a major upset Sunday to win the state title—and the team dedicated the win to the victims of this month's shooting at the Parkland, Fla., school. "This wasn't for us. This was for...
US Wins First Hockey Gold
in 20 Years
Feb 22, 2018 6:17 AM CST
US Wins First Hockey Gold in 20 Years
USA women beat Canada in tiebreaker shootout
- The United States has beaten Canada in a shootout to win their first Olympic gold since 1998 in women's hockey. Jocelyne Lamoureux-Davidson scored in the first extra round of the first shootout tiebreaker in Olympic women's hockey history on Thursday to give the United States the gold medal...
NHL Fans Taunt Black Player
With 'Basketball' Chant
Feb 18, 2018 12:30 PM CST
NHL Fans Taunt Black Player With 'Basketball' Chant
Chicago Blackhawks boot 4 male fans for remarks to the Washington Capitals' Devante Smith-Pelly
- NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman says the league condemns the behavior of four male fans chanting a racial taunt against a black player, and that he backs the Chicago Blackhawks for ejecting the offenders. Bettman says no one "should ever have to endure such abuse at one of our games,...
Well, USA Men's Hockey
Just Lost to Slovenia
Feb 14, 2018 12:19 PM CST
Well, USA Men's Hockey Just Lost to Slovenia
And the internet raises a collective eyebrow
- Deadspin's headline says it all: "USA Men's Hockey Loses To Slovenia. Slovenia!" Five practices were supposed to prepare the Americans for this, but the preparation wasn't enough to fend off the fatigue as the United States blew a two-goal lead and lost a 3-2...
US Army Goes to War With
Professional Hockey Team
Jan 11, 2018 6:06 PM CST
US Army Goes to War With Professional Hockey Team
It's upset over use of 'Golden Knights' by Las Vegas NHL team
- The US Army has filed a challenge opposing the application of the NHL's newest franchise to register the trademark "Vegas Golden Knights," the AP reports. In a claim filed Wednesday with the US Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, the Army claims it will be damaged if the...
An NHL Team Ditched Its
Roots. Now It's Going Back
Dec 20, 2017 12:17 AM CST
An NHL Team Ditched Its Roots. Now It's Going Back
New York Islanders are headed back to Long Island
- The New York Islanders may be returning to the New York suburbs after a move to Brooklyn floundered. The hockey team won a bid to build a new arena on the grounds of the Belmont Park racetrack, home to the third leg of horse racing's Triple Crown each June,...
Nov 13, 2017 2:40 PM CST
Former Hockey Rivals Welcome Baby Girl
Caroline Ouellette and Julie Chu captained the Canadian, US women's hockey teams
- From rival hockey captains to team members to parents: Caroline Ouellette and Julie Chu, who captained the Canadian and US women's hockey teams, respectively, welcomed daughter Liv Chu-Ouellette Nov. 5, the CBC reports. In Ouellette's Instagram announcement Monday, the 38-year-old noted she was pregnant when she and Chu,...
Devils Fans Sing Like Angels
to Save Teen Performer
Oct 21, 2017 10:26 AM CDT
Devils Fans Sing Like Angels to Save Teen Performer
When Lauralie Mufute forgot the words to the national anthem, hockey fans picked her up
- Friday night's New Jersey Devil's game started with a moment so heartwarming they're lucky they still had any ice left to play on. NBC Sports reports 14-year-old Lauralie Mufute was singing the national anthem when she blanked on the words midway through. Luckily, there was a crowd...
Knocked to Ice
Sues Player for Millions
Apr 21, 2017 3:33 AM CDT
Hockey Linesman Knocked to Ice Sues Player for Millions
He says he hasn't been able to work for over a year
- An NHL linesman who hasn't been able to work since he was knocked to the ice from behind by Calgary Flames defenseman Dennis Wideman last year is suing the player and the team for $7.5 million. Wideman cross-checked Don Henderson as he was returning to the bench during...
Use of Actual Penguins
at NHL Game Rankles PETA
Mar 4, 2017 11:50 AM CST
Use of Actual Penguins at NHL Game Rankles PETA
They were 'terrorized,' says group, but zoo calls that nonsense
- The zoo calls it an "enrichment experience" for penguins, but PETA thinks it amounts to "shy animals terrorized." Such is the controversy over the NHL's decision to put live penguins on the ice before a rare outdoor game between the Pittsburgh Penguins and Philadelphia Flyers. In...
Ex-NHL Brawler, Now a Coach,
Allegedly Hits Teen in Game
Feb 27, 2017 12:40 PM CST
Ex-NHL Brawler, Now a Coach, Allegedly Hits Teen in Game
Andrew Peters suspended after video makes the rounds
- When he played for the Buffalo Sabres, Andrew Peters had one clear role: that of a tough-guy enforcer who was quick to fight. Now he's retired as a player and coaching teens—and in hot water over a hockey brawl. Peters has been suspended as head coach of the...
Stories 41 - 60 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
Ginni Thomas Tells Committee 2020 Election Was Stolen
Queen's 2-Word Cause of Death Is Released
Eliza Fletcher's Autopsy Results Are Released
Former Cowboys Player Dies in Climbing Accident
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.