Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Rutgers Blazes a New Path
With Its COVID Mandate
Mar 26, 2021 7:35 AM CDT
Rutgers Blazes a New Path With Its COVID Mandate
Students will need to be vaccinated to attend in-person classes this fall
- It may be a nationwide first: New Jersey's Rutgers University on Thursday announced that students will need to show proof of vaccination in order to attend in-person classes for the fall 2021 semester. Exemptions may be requested for medical or religious reasons, reports CNN . The
Middlesex Daily Voice
I'd Never Seen Him
'More Drunk in
His Entire Life'
Mar 8, 2021 8:32 AM CST
Student's Roommate: I'd Never Seen Him 'More Drunk in His Entire Life'
Bowling Green University sophomore Stone Foltz, 20, dead after apparent Pi Kappa Alpha hazing
- A sophomore business major at Ohio's Bowling Green State University who was in critical condition for three days at ProMedica Toledo Hospital has died—an apparent result of a fraternity hazing, reports ABC News . Sean Alto, an attorney representing the family of Stone Foltz, says the 20-year-old had attended...
Mar 5, 2021 10:00 AM CST
College President Moves Into Dorm
Col. Mark Anarumo of Norwich University worried about effects of lockdown isolation on students
- The best military leaders aren't afraid to get in the trenches, and even though he's now a civilian, Dr. Mark C. Anarumo's old habits die hard. The 50-year-old retired Air Force colonel and father of four is the president of Norwich University, a private military college in...
Problem at Texas A&M:
Test Qs Answered Too Quickly
Dec 17, 2020 8:44 AM CST
Problem at Texas A&M: Test Qs Answered Too Quickly
Students suspected of using Chegg tutoring site to get answers to exams
- Students in an online finance class at Texas A&M were starting to close out the semester when they received an email from the director of the Aggie Honor System Office. "I would like to encourage you in the strongest way to reclaim your personal integrity," read the...
on Foreign Students
Nov 24, 2020 7:11 AM CST
'Disheartening' Stats on Foreign Students
This fall, college enrollment of new international students fell 43%; total enrollment dipped 16%
- President Trump has taken steps to discourage foreign enrollment in American universities, and, in combination with the pandemic, that effort has succeeded: The number of international students studying in the US has dropped for the fourth consecutive year. This fall, new enrollment fell 43%, while total enrollment of international students...
At Colleges Across the Nation,
'the Experiment Is Faltering'
Sep 4, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
At Colleges Across the Nation, 'the Experiment Is Faltering'
Lockdowns, disciplinary measures are what schools are contending with as virus numbers rise
- College students and their parents kept their fingers crossed as higher-education institutions across the nation opened up over the past few weeks for the fall semester, hoping that school safety measures would keep COVID-19 at bay and allow students to approach some sense of academic normalcy. But, as Pilar Melendez...
Fauci Has New Warning
for Colleges on COVID
Sep 3, 2020 6:17 AM CDT
Fauci Has New Warning for Colleges on COVID
Don't send students home if there's an outbreak
- As COVID-19 outbreaks crop up at college campuses across the country, some schools are reverting to online classes and, in some cases, even sending students back home. Dr. Anthony Fauci's strongly worded advice to schools on that latter move: Don't do it, per NBC News . "It's...
Schools Debating Whether to
Reveal Students' COVID Status
Sep 2, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
Schools Debating Whether to Reveal Students' COVID Status
Boston University joins UA in not informing faculty, other students of infected students in their classes
- University of Alabama professors aren't the only ones "terrified" of an administration directive on COVID-19 in their own classrooms. Last week, it was reported that instructors there received an email from higher-ups warning them not to reveal to the rest of the class if anyone in that class...
Prof to Student: Your Name
'Sounds Like an Insult'
Jun 20, 2020 12:30 PM CDT
Prof to Student: Your Name 'Sounds Like an Insult'
Matthew Hubbard is on administrative leave at Oakland's Laney College
- An Oakland professor is on administrative leave after urging a student to "anglicize" her name—which he said "sounds like an insult in English." Matthew Hubbard, who teaches math at Laney College, told the Vietnamese student by email to change her name, the
San Francisco Chronicle
Apr 23, 2020 12:10 PM CDT
Colleges Face 'Existential Threat'
Coronavirus is huge trouble for universities large and small
- "The math is not pretty." That's the understated assessment of a Seton Hall expert to NPR on the financial toll the coronavirus is taking on colleges and universities across the nation. And the pain isn't expected to end anytime soon as students remain home and take...
Mar 10, 2020 9:11 AM CDT
Elon Musk: Who Needs 'Annoying' College?
Tesla CEO says college is 'not for learning,' praises dropouts like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates
- Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk appeared in a "fireside chat" Monday at the Satellite 2020 space community conference, and during the Q&A portion he was asked about the accessibility of higher learning and how college could be made more affordable for students in need. Musk's answer:...
Michelle Obama's New Project
Involves College Freshmen
Jan 7, 2020 1:40 PM CST
Michelle Obama's New Project Involves College Freshmen
Her new show will follow individuals' stories
- Michelle Obama is collaborating with college students for a new show on IGTV, Instagram's app for longform videos. Media company ATTN: is producing the six-episode series,
A Year of Firsts
, which will follow four first-year college students from across the country. "Each of them has overcome tremendous odds...
Tenn. University Finds
'It's OK to Be White' Signs
Nov 6, 2019 4:33 AM CST
Tenn. University Finds 'It's OK to Be White' Signs
Signs cover memorial for first African-American students at East Tennessee State University
- East Tennessee State University is the latest college campus hit by a white supremacist campaign started by an internet group. "I am disgusted by this act," Brian Noland, university president, says in a statement cited by NBC News . That act: signs proclaiming "It's OK to be...
New Mexico Just
Went 'Bold' on College
Sep 18, 2019 9:25 AM CDT
New Mexico Just Went 'Bold' on College
With legislative approval, tuition will be free at all state schools for everyone, regardless of income
- A good number of US states are already on board with offering free tuition at state schools to students who financially qualify, but one state just put forward what Slate calls a "bold plan" that surpasses the others. The
New York Times
reports that New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan...
2020 College Rankings Are Out
Sep 9, 2019 9:20 AM CDT
2020 College Rankings Are Out
Princeton and Williams rule their respective categories at 'US News,' again
US News & World Report
is out with its annual, and controversial, rankings of American colleges. The magazine has various categories, but the two big ones are national universities and liberal arts colleges. Princeton takes top honors in the first category for the ninth straight year and Williams College...
8 Injured After 2 Blasts
Rock College Dorm
Jul 6, 2019 7:30 AM CDT
8 Injured After 2 Blasts Rock College Dorm
Dormitory partially collapses after pair of explosions at University of Nevada, Reno
- Classes were canceled Friday at the Reno campus of the University of Nevada after a pair of back-to-back blasts injured eight and left a dorm partially collapsed. Fox News reports that authorities are eyeing a mechanical failure inside Argenta Hall as a possible cause of the explosions, with some of...
Cops: Ex-Students Use Bat to
Put Duck 'Out of Its Misery'
Jun 19, 2019 10:50 AM CDT
Cops: Ex-Students Use Bat to Put Duck 'Out of Its Misery'
19-year-olds charged with aggravated animal cruelty in Alabama
- Former student baseball players at an Alabama community college are accused of pulling a duck from a campus pond and beating it with a bat. Following a party, Thomas "Landon" Grant and Jacob Frye allegedly beat the white Muscovy duck found on the campus of Central Alabama Community College...
Ex-Student Fights College
Over Fate of Alleged Rapist
Jun 15, 2019 11:00 AM CDT
Ex-Student Fights College Over Fate of Alleged Rapist
Alicia Gonzales says it was terrifying to have her rapist remain on campus
- The warnings came in text messages from her friends: He's outside the dorm. He's at the student center. He's at Starbucks. But for Alicia Gonzales, sometimes it didn't matter where he was, the AP reports. She would often hide away in her room on the campus...
Report: Ohio State Leaders
Knew About 'Dr. Jelly Paws'
May 17, 2019 11:55 AM CDT
Report: Ohio State Leaders Knew About 'Dr. Jelly Paws'
School expresses 'profound regret' on report about Richard Strauss' sexual abuse of 177-plus students
- An Ohio State University team doctor who died years ago sexually abused at least 177 students over a period of decades so wantonly that students described his examinations as hazing—and their coaches, trainers, other team doctors, and school leaders knew about it, per an investigative report released Friday. The...
All-Male, Black College to
Admit New Kind of Student
Apr 13, 2019 1:45 PM CDT
All-Male, Black College to Admit New Kind of Student
Morehouse College policy to kick in next year
- The country's only all-male historically black college will begin admitting transgender men next year, marking a major shift for the school at a time when higher education institutions around the nation are adopting more welcoming policies toward LGBT students. Leaders of Morehouse College in Atlanta, Georgia, tell the AP...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.