Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
House for Sale
on Oregon Coast
Nov 22, 2022 6:29 PM CST
House for Sale on Oregon Coast
Buyer should be prepared to welcome flocks of fans
- Good news for fans of
: The old Victorian home featured in the film is on sale in Astoria, Oregon, and potential buyers are considering making it more accessible to the public. "We have a few interested parties right now," said realtor Jordan Miller, the listing agent...
An Iconic Ohio
Home Is Up for Grabs
Nov 15, 2022 10:19 AM CST
An Iconic Ohio Home Is Up for Grabs
Cleveland house used in 'A Christmas Story,' plus a museum and gift shop, has been listed
- You could spend Christmas—and every other day of the year—in the house made famous by
A Christmas Story
. The century-old home in Cleveland, used to house the family of Ralphie Parker in the 1983 film, is up for sale as part of a listing that includes a museum,...
They Couldn't Get a Mortgage.
Nov 5, 2022 9:30 AM CDT
They Couldn't Get a Mortgage. Divvy Helped—Maybe
The rent-to-own startup has some unhappy customers
- Divvy was partly born out of the American dream realized, or so writes Ainsley Harris for
. Co-founder and CEO Adena Hefets is the daughter of an Israeli immigrant who "lucked into homeownership through seller financing, after being denied a mortgage," and then was able to help...
Older, White Homebuyers
Squeeze Others Out of Market
Nov 4, 2022 4:20 PM CDT
Older, White Homebuyers Squeeze Others Out of Market
Share of first-time owners falls to 41-year low
- It's not just higher mortgage rates and lower inventory squeezing young people out of the real estate market: It's older white people who can bring cash to the deal. In its yearly profile of buyers and sellers, the National Association of Realtors says those purchasing their first home...
Opendoor Is Laying Off
Almost a Fifth of Its Workers
Nov 2, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Opendoor Is Laying Off Almost a Fifth of Its Workers
'We're navigating one of the most challenging real estate markets in 40 years,' CEO says
- Online house-flipping firm Opendoor has become the latest company to downsize in the wake of the rapid shift in the housing market. CEO and co-founder Eric Wu said in an email to employees shared on the company blog Wednesday that with a "heavy heart," the company is saying...
For the Wealthy,
the New Draw Is
Oct 15, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
For the Wealthy, the New Draw Is the 'McBasement'
If you can't go up or out, go down
- If the word "basement" conjures up memories of a dark and musty rec room where you spent your youth, the
Wall Street Journal
is ready to usher you into 2022. Basements are in, but they aren't like any basement you know. As EB Solomont writes, they're the...
Oct 3, 2022 12:08 PM CDT
An Unwanted and Inhospitable Lighthouse Finally Sells
Hooper Island Lighthouse went for way more than the starting price
- The federal government has sold off a rather inhospitable lighthouse in the middle of the Chesapeake Bay for a six-figure sum after a bidding war at auction. The Hooper Island Lighthouse, located west of Middle Hooper Island in Maryland's Dorchester County, at first drew little interest, reported the
New Real Estate Wrinkle:
Sep 24, 2022 1:30 PM CDT
New Real Estate Wrinkle: Reluctant Sellers
Many have a low mortgage rate now, so why sell and possibly double it on a new place?
- The housing market is a complex place at the moment, with the Fed's aggressive rate hikes sending mortgage rates north of 6% for the first time in nearly 15 years. Much of the resulting coverage has focused on the buyers' view of things—how those higher rates add hundreds...
Mortgage Rates Reach
an Unwanted Milestone
Sep 15, 2022 10:11 AM CDT
Mortgage Rates Reach an Unwanted Milestone
Average rate hits 6% for the first time since 2008
- Someone who closes on a house this month will be paying twice the mortgage rate of a year ago. The average rate on a 30-year fixed-rate mortgage reached 6% this week for the first time since the recession days of 2008, reports the
New York Times
. That's up from...
Seeking Sun and Surf?
These US Beach Towns
Won't Break the Bank
Aug 8, 2022 12:02 PM CDT
Seeking Sun and Surf? These US Beach Towns Won't Break the Bank
Port Arthur, Texas, comes in at No. 1
- Dreaming of a home near the ocean? A new assessment by PropertyShark susses out the most affordable beach towns and cities in the US. The site calculated median price per square foot to crown Port Arthur, Texas, as the champ. Generally, locales in Texas, Mississippi, and Florida dominated the top...
City You Might Not Expect
Lands Atop Housing Ranking
Jul 31, 2022 5:10 PM CDT
City You Might Not Expect Lands Atop Housing Ranking
Elkhart, Indiana, is No. 1 in compilation by WSJ and Realtor.com
- A unique ranking of cities for prospective home-buyers puts a city on top that might not be familiar to many—Elkhart, Indiana. The metro area of the city of approximately 200,000 people is No. 1 in the rankings compiled by the
Wall Street Journal
and Realtor.com . Their idea...
$30M Off-the-Grid Property
Comes With a Herd of Yak
Jul 30, 2022 4:15 PM CDT
$30M Off-the-Grid Property Comes With a Herd of Yak
'If all hell breaks loose, you can come here and you’ll be OK'
- If you have very deep pockets and a belief that America's in for an extremely bumpy ride, a 312-acre property in New Mexico could be for you. The ranch in wilderness near Taos has its own water supply, tanks that can hold a year's worth of propane, a...
China's Richest Woman
Is Rapidly Getting Poorer
Jul 29, 2022 1:15 PM CDT
China's Richest Woman Is Rapidly Getting Poorer
Yang Hiuyan's $23.7B fortune has more than halved amid real estate crisis
- With an estimated fortune of $11.3 billion, China's richest woman isn't exactly short on cash—but the country's real estate crisis has made Yang Huiyan a lot poorer than she was at the start of the year. Bloomberg reports that Yang had an estimated $23.7...
Top 10 Cities People
Are Looking to Leave
Jul 25, 2022 8:33 AM CDT
Top 10 Cities People Are Looking to Leave
San Francisco has apparently priced too many people out of its market
- Crazy house prices have upended the market in the last two years, triggering what the real estate brokerage firm Redfin labels unprecedented levels of relocation. Specifically, prospective home buyers seem to be leaving cities where prices are too high in favor of more affordable locales. The company ranked the cities...
Hits 22-Year Low
Jul 20, 2022 10:50 AM CDT
Mortgage Demand Hits 22-Year Low
The real estate market is cooling amid high rates, high inflation, high prices
- While heat waves and wildfires have dominated recent headlines, there’s a major cooling trend in the US housing market. According to the Mortgage Bankers Association's weekly survey, mortgage applications dropped a seasonally adjusted 6.3% last week, per CNBC. That puts mortgage demand at its lowest point since...
US Cities Seeing Most
Cuts in Home Prices
Jul 16, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
US Cities Seeing Most Cuts in Home Prices
In Boise, Idaho, 61.5 of homes on the market saw a reduced price in June
- The pandemic saw house prices soar across the country, but higher interest rates and increasing supply are now helping cool the previously red-hot real estate market in many areas. If you're looking to buy now, you're likely to find that prices have been reduced from the original listing...
House Flippers Have Been
Busier Than Ever
Jul 1, 2022 8:47 AM CDT
House Flippers Have Been Busier Than Ever
Investors are scrambling for profits as the real estate market cools
- House flippers were exceptionally busy in the first quarter of 2022, with flips accounting for 9.6% of all single-family home and condo sales in the US. It's part of an ongoing trend, but it was still a big jump compared to 6.9% in Q4 and 4.9%...
New Estate Sets
Jun 24, 2022 7:29 AM CDT
Billionaire's New Estate Sets Florida Record
It's not far from a property Larry Ellison purchased for $80M last year
- One of the world's richest people , billionaire Oracle founder Larry Ellison, has just dropped $173 million on new digs, setting a record for the largest residential sale in Florida history. And by a long shot. Previously, the state hadn't seen a home sell for more than $130 million,...
Florida Home for Sale
Comes With Realtor's Ex
Apr 28, 2022 1:23 PM CDT
Florida Home for Sale Comes With Realtor's Ex
All yours for $699K in Panama City
- Earlier this month, a home went up for sale in Virginia with an unwanted squatter in the basement. Now comes one in Florida that comes complete with an ex-husband, reports WMBB . The listing out of Panama City has gone viral since it was highlighted by Zillow Gone Wild . Realtor Crystal...
Highest in a Decade
Apr 21, 2022 12:27 PM CDT
Mortgage Rates Highest in a Decade
30-year is now 5.21%, and the effects on housing market already are surfacing
- The news won't come as a shock to those currently in the market to buy a house and calculating their monthly expenses—mortgage rates have reached a 12-year high. CNN puts the rate on a 30-year fixed mortgage at 5.11% for the week ending Thursday, the highest since...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Wolf Researchers: 'We Just Open-Mouthed Stared at Each Other'
Suit Seeks $5M Damages Over Mac-and-Cheese Prep Time
Ariz. Professor Dies on Family Trip to Mexico
Musk Declares 'War' on Apple
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.