Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Billionaire Breaks California
Real Estate Record
Oct 31, 2021 7:15 AM CDT
Billionaire Breaks California Real Estate Record
Marc Andreesen buys Malibu home for $177 million
- Jeff Bezos once laid claim to the priciest real estate in California--but not anymore. Per the
, venture capitalist Marc Andreessen has paid $177 million for his new seaside Malibu estate, a record for the Golden State. Per the
Wall Street Journal
, the Silicon Valley billionaire purchased the property...
Look 'Really Bad'
for Jordan's King
Oct 4, 2021 10:15 AM CDT
Pandora Papers Look 'Really Bad' for Jordan's King
King Abdullah reportedly used front companies to buy $106M in real estate while citizens struggled
- We're learning more about the tax avoidance schemes of the uber-rich courtesy of the Pandora Papers , published Sunday by the International Consortium of Investigative Journalists, which are putting Jordan's King Abdullah II in a particularly bad light. The longest-serving monarch in the Arab world, who's ruled Jordan...
For Sale: 'One
of the Most
Sep 24, 2021 12:51 PM CDT
For Sale: 'One of the Most Well-Known Haunted Houses'
Or so says the realtor selling the Rhode Island home that inspired 'The Conjuring' movie
- Not afraid of ghosts and things that go bump in the night? The purportedly haunted Rhode Island farmhouse that inspired the 2013 horror movie
hit the market Thursday for the scary price of $1.2 million—almost three times the 2019 selling price, per the AP . Mott &...
Court Orders Sale of 'Most
Expensive Home in the US'
in case you missed it
Sep 19, 2021 12:20 PM CDT
Court Orders Sale of 'Most Expensive Home in the US'
Bel Air developer Nile Niami defaulted on more than $100M in debt
- A home billed as the "biggest and most expensive in the urban world" is going to be hitting the market at a steep discount. "The One," a 105,000-square-foot megamansion in Los Angeles' Bel Air neighborhood, was expected to go on sale for $500 million years ago,...
Fetches a Fat Price
Sep 17, 2021 1:39 PM CDT
'Skinny House' Fetches a Fat Price
Famed Boston house goes for $1.25M
The Skinny House went for more than asking. The Boston home sold for $1.25 million, $50,000 above its listing price, per the AP . The home “received multiple offers and went under agreement for over list price in less than one week," says real estate agency...
10 Best, Worst
Aug 24, 2021 3:00 PM CDT
10 Best, Worst Real-Estate Markets
Texas dominates the top 10
- It is, generally speaking, one of the best times for home sellers in quite a while. Now, Wallet Hub has crunched data on several factors to determine the best and worst real estate markets in the country. Those factors include home prices, length of time on the market, etc., plus...
Want This Charred Shell
of a Home? Get in Line
Aug 13, 2021 8:36 AM CDT
Want This Charred Shell of a Home? Get in Line
And have at least $850K in hand to compete in 'crazy' Bay Area buyer's market
- Nightmare homes for sale are apparently now a thing, and people are willing to pay big bucks for them if the location is right. Earlier this year, a "slice of hell" was offered for $590,000 in Colorado. Now, an incinerated abode in Walnut Creek, Calif., is up for...
Vatican Reveals Church
Owns 5K Properties
Jul 25, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Vatican Reveals Church Owns 5K Properties
Extensive release of real estate and financial records is a first for the church
- The Catholic Church has made an unprecedented financial disclosure, revealing the extent of its real estate holdings around the world. More than 50 pages of forms released Saturday show that the Vatican owns 4,051 properties in Italy and 1,120 elsewhere, Politico reports. Vatican embassies are not included in...
A Home Sold in Idaho Sums Up
the Wildness of the Moment
Jul 24, 2021 9:20 AM CDT
A Home Sold in Idaho Sums Up the Wildness of the Moment
It went for well over asking
- Car prices are nuts these days . Housing prices? Pretty much the same. For proof, see Eli Saslow's story in the
about a modest three-bedroom home in the Boise suburb of Star, Idaho. Trevor Descisciolo bought it 2018 for $239,000, with help from a relative. Over the...
Florida's Waterfront May
Change After Condo Collapse
Jul 9, 2021 11:17 AM CDT
Florida's Waterfront May Change After Condo Collapse
Developers may buy up older buildings and put up new ones for richer residents
- It could take some time to play out, but the collapse of the Surfside condo could fundamentally change the waterfront real estate market not only in the Miami area but throughout Florida and perhaps elsewhere in the country. This is a "real come to Jesus moment," Ana Bozovic,...
First-Time Homebuyers May
Want to Check Here First
Jul 6, 2021 11:12 AM CDT
First-Time Homebuyers May Want to Check Here First
Chesapeake, Va., holds promise, as do several other Virginia cities
- With the pandemic showing signs of waning, plans that were put on hold are starting to gain new life. If you've been mulling buying your first home, some US cities may hold more promise than others. WalletHub looked at 300 cities of varying sizes across America, examining nearly two...
for Sale at a
Jun 29, 2021 10:05 AM CDT
NYC Penthouse for Sale at a 'Try-God Price'
It's atop 432 Park Avenue, which the 'NYT' describes as a 'troubled' building
- Amid ongoing news of the condo-collapse tragedy , one might think it's not a great time to try to sell an apartment in what the
New York Times
calls a "troubled" tower, and especially not at an asking price of $169 million. But that's exactly what's happening...
Home Prices Top
$350K for the First Time
Jun 22, 2021 2:35 PM CDT
Home Prices Top $350K for the First Time
But with buyers squeezed out, the rate of sales is starting to slow down
- The median home price in the US has topped $350,000 for the first time—but with record prices squeezing out buyers, some analysts say the market may be on the brink of cooling. The National Association of Realtors says the median existing-home price in May was $350,300, a...
This Home Listed for $590K
'Is Not for the Faint of Heart'
in case you missed it
Jun 20, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
This Home Listed for $590K 'Is Not for the Faint of Heart'
Nightmare home in Colorado Springs, Colo., has a listing that's grabbing a lot of attention
- If you're going to check out the "investor special" at 4525 Churchill Ct. in Colorado Springs, Colo., don't forget to bring your mask—not because of COVID, but because there's a freezer full of meat in the basement that hasn't had electricity for more than...
TV Ghost Hunter Rids Himself
of Manson Murder House
Jun 17, 2021 6:11 AM CDT
TV Ghost Hunter Rids Himself of Manson Murder House
It sold for less than Zak Bagans of 'Ghost Adventures' paid for it in 2019
- The home where Charles Manson's followers committed their last multiple murder has sold for well below the asking price after eight months on the market. The two-bedroom, two-bath home in Los Angeles' Los Feliz neighborhood, where supermarket chain owner Leno LaBianca and his wife Rosemary, who ran a clothing...
Its Water Tower
Jun 14, 2021 1:49 PM CDT
Town Sells Its Water Tower by Accident
Florida's Brooksville got sloppy in a real estate transaction
- A small town in Florida accidentally sold its water tower in a blundered real estate transaction, per the AP . A businessman purchased a municipal building underneath the city of Brooksville's water tower last April for $55,000 with the goal of converting it into a gym. However, when Bobby...
in Trump Buildings
Jun 4, 2021 4:55 PM CDT
Prices Plunge in Trump Buildings
There are bargains, but some real estate shoppers aren't interested because of the name over the door
- The building has stunning Manhattan skyline views, its spa offers deep-tissue massages, and the fancy restaurant off the lobby serves prime steaks. Best of all, many apartments at the Trump World Tower are selling at a deep discount—assuming the buyer doesn't mind the name over the door. "...
'This Might Be the
Housing Market' Ever
May 28, 2021 2:00 PM CDT
'This Might Be the Most Competitive Housing Market' Ever
From Seattle to Wichita, homes are selling for well above list prices
- The red-hot US housing market is widening the gap between what a home is objectively worth and what eager buyers are willing to pay for it. Fierce competition amid an ultra-low inventory of homes on the market is fueling bidding wars, prompting a growing share of would-be buyers to sweeten...
Only Home on This Island Can
Be Yours, With a Fitting Address
Apr 28, 2021 1:11 PM CDT
Only Home on This Island Can Be Yours, With a Fitting Address
Rhode Island's 0 Patience Way is on the market for $400K
- Zero patience for the company of others? Anyone who's ever wanted their own private island getaway now has a chance, and it might be less expensive than you'd think, per the AP . The only house on a small island in Rhode Island's Narragansett Bay has hit the...
His Drone Took
Apr 26, 2021 7:12 AM CDT
His Drone Took Property Pics. Surveyors Didn't Like That
Man running business capturing land images for realtors sues after NC grounds his drone
- When Michael Jones started a side hustle shooting drone photos and videos for real estate agents, his clients wanted more images with property lines on them, to better understand where their fences should be. It seemed like a good use of emerging technology that met an obvious consumer demand, and...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Lindsey Graham Gets Bad News From Federal Judge
Frantic Parents Tased, Arrested Amid Arizona School Lockdown
Rep Confirms Heche's Death as Exes Grieve
Trump: US 'Temperature Has to Be Brought Down'
Captain Cook's Endeavour Is Being Wrecked Again
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.