Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
White House Calls
Dec 4, 2023 7:20 PM CST
White House Calls Protest Antisemitic
Demonstrators chanted 'genocide' outside falafel shop
- White House officials on Monday denounced a pro-Palestinian demonstration at a Jewish-owned restaurant in Philadelphia in which the protesters chanted accusations of genocide. Axios reports video shows demonstrators outside Goldie beating drums and waving Palestinian flags while chanting—including through a loudspeaker—chant: "Goldie, Goldie you can't hide!...
Nov 27, 2023 2:51 PM CST
These Are the Most Sinful Cities in America
Las Vegas ranks No. 1 on WalletHub's list, while Pearl City, Hawaii, proves most virtuous
- Christian teachings have long warned against the seven deadly sins, yet since the beginning of time, humans just can't seem to lick their related vices. WalletHub wanted to see which US cities are rife with people acting "illicitly," so it examined more than 180 of the largest...
Ex-Cop Who Sexually Assaulted
Dozens Hears His Fate
Oct 21, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Ex-Cop Who Sexually Assaulted Dozens Hears His Fate
Former Philly police officer Patrick Heron, 54, is sentenced to 15 to 40 years in state prison
- A former Philadelphia police officer has been sentenced to 15 to 40 years in state prison after pleading guilty to sexually assaulting women and girls—often while in uniform and in the back of his police vehicle, per the AP . Patrick Heron, 54, entered his pleas Friday after reaching an...
Shot Dead at Home
Oct 3, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
Philadelphia Journalist Shot Dead at Home
Josh Kruger advocated for city's most vulnerable
- Josh Kruger, who went from being homeless and struggling with addiction to advocating for Philadelphia's most vulnerable as a journalist in the city, was fatally shot in his South Philadelphia home early Monday. Police arrived around 1:30am to find the 39-year-old in the street outside his home with...
Sep 28, 2023 3:06 PM CDT
Looting Continues in Philadelphia
Six more arrested after at least eight businesses were hit
- The looting in Philadelphia continues. At least eight businesses were burglarized overnight, resulting in six more arrests, say police, per NBC News . That brings to nearly 60 the number of arrests when combined with Tuesday night. The businesses raided Wednesday night included a Walmart, a Family Dollar, and an Auto...
Police Say Death of
Flight Attendant Is Suspicious
Sep 27, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Police Say Death of Flight Attendant Is Suspicious
Woman was found dead in Philadelphia airport hotel
- Police in Philadelphia are investigating the death of a flight attendant whose body was found in a room at an airport hotel two days after she was supposed to check out. A Philadelphia Police Department spokesperson tells
that the 66-year-old American Airlines flight attendant was found with a...
Judge Dismisses All Charges
Against Philadelphia Cop
Sep 26, 2023 5:50 PM CDT
Judge Dismisses All Charges Against Philadelphia Cop
Mark Dial shot driver Eddie Irizarry through rolled-up window
- A judge dismissed murder and other charges Tuesday against a Philadelphia police officer who shot and killed a driver through a rolled-up driver's side window, agreeing with defense attorneys who said the officer could have feared for his life because he thought the driver had a gun. Police body...
Philadelphia Sheriff's Office
Loses Track of 185 Guns
Sep 21, 2023 2:20 PM CDT
Philadelphia Sheriff's Office Loses Track of 185 Guns
City comptroller suggests shoddy record-keeping is a factor
- The Philadelphia Sheriff's Office can't account for 185 missing guns. The jarring stat comes from a report released this week by the city controller's office, per the AP . Some of the missing guns were part of the sheriff's office's arsenal and others were confiscated from...
by Acting President's
Sep 19, 2023 4:25 PM CDT
University Shaken by Acting President's Sudden Death
Joanne Epps collapsed on stage at Temple University event
- Temple University has been shaken by the sudden death of acting president Joanne Epps, who collapsed on stage during an event at the Philadelphia university Tuesday. The 72-year-old collapsed at a memorial service for historian Charles Blockson, curator emeritus of the Blockson Afro-American Collection, the
reports. University officials...
Boy, 12, 'Brutally Killed
and Placed in a Trash Can'
Sep 1, 2023 8:51 AM CDT
Boy, 12, 'Brutally Killed and Placed in a Trash Can'
Hezekiah Bernard of Philadelphia was shot in the head around Aug. 22
- A body found in a dumpster in West Philadelphia last week is a 12-year-old boy who was shot in the head and wrapped in plastic. Police identified him Thursday as Hezekiah "Hezzy" Bernard, a homicide victim who'd been under the care of the Department of Human Services, per...
One on Each Coast
Aug 21, 2023 3:00 AM CDT
2 Weekend Mass Shootings, One on Each Coast
4 dead total, 14 others wounded in Seattle and Philadelphia incidents
- Two more mass shootings rocked the US over the weekend, one on each coast. Details:
Police responded to a hookah lounge in south Seattle around 4:30am Sunday to find casualties. Two men, ages 22 and 33, died at the scene, and a 30-year-old man died at a nearby
Philly DA: Teen Bomb-Maker
Was 'Grave Danger to Everyone'
Aug 15, 2023 2:41 PM CDT
Philly DA: Teen Bomb-Maker Was 'Grave Danger to Everyone'
17-year-old nabbed in Philadelphia was allegedly testing devices, communicating with terrorists
- A 17-year-old "aspiring terrorist" is facing multiple state felony charges in Pennsylvania after he was found to be communicating with a foreign terrorist group while building a weapon of mass destruction, officials said Monday. At a press conference, Philadelphia District Attorney Larry Krasner said the unnamed teen "was...
Settles Priest Sex Abuse Case
Aug 10, 2023 4:09 AM CDT
Philadelphia Archdiocese Settles Priest Sex Abuse Case
Victim of now-deceased priest will get $3.5M
- The Archdiocese of Philadelphia will pay $3.5 million to settle a civil case alleging a now-deceased priest sexually assaulted a teenage boy nearly two decades ago, and church officials knew of similar reports about the priest dating back to the 1970s, attorneys for the victim announced Wednesday. The plaintiff...
Us Out of a
Jul 14, 2023 11:04 AM CDT
Could Taylor Swift Keep Us Out of a Recession?
Federal Reserve gives nod to her Eras Tour, 'influx' of fans for their economic impact
- Taylor Swift has been impressing fans and critics alike during her current Eras Tour, and ticket sales show no signs of slowing. But it's more than just her music that's been having an impact—the Federal Reserve says the singer has had a marked effect on the economy,...
This Is the Most
Stressed City in America
Jul 11, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
This Is the Most Stressed City in America
Cleveland tops WalletHub's list, while Vermont's South Burlington chillaxes in last place
- Between work, family issues, money, and life's other usual trials and tribulations, trying to tamp down on stress can seem a fruitless task. There may be some areas of the country, however, where you can surround yourself with a calmer, more carefree populace. WalletHub examined the 182 largest US...
One of Philadelphia
Mass Shooting Victims
Was Killed 2 Days Earlier
Jul 10, 2023 2:40 AM CDT
One of Philadelphia Mass Shooting Victims Was Killed 2 Days Earlier
But his body wasn't found until after shooting spree left 4 others dead
- Philadelphia authorities investigating a Fourth of July holiday shooting spree that left five people dead now say the gunman killed one of the victims almost two full days before the mass shooting, the AP reports. Kimbrady Carriker, 40, was arraigned Wednesday morning on five counts of murder, attempted murder, aggravated...
Report: Philadelphia Suspect
Made Bizarre Claims to Cops
Jul 5, 2023 2:40 PM CDT
Report: Philadelphia Suspect Made Bizarre Claims to Cops
Alleged mass shooter Kimbrady Carriker said he was trying to fight gun violence, sources say
- Philadelphia mass shooting suspect Kimbrady Carriker made some bizarre statements to police after he was cornered and arrested Monday night, sources tell the
. Carriker, who was arraigned on charges including five counts of murder on Wednesday, claimed the mass shooting was an effort to help the city...
Mass Shooting Was
Jul 4, 2023 1:51 PM CDT
DA: Philadelphia Mass Shooting Was Apparently Random
Attacker killed 5, wounded 2
- The death toll from the mass shooting in Philadelphia Monday night now stands at five, with two children seriously injured—and authorities say the killing appears to have been random. "At first look, it seems to bear the characteristics of a lot of random mass shootings that occur in...
4 Dead in Philadelphia
Jul 4, 2023 12:00 AM CDT
4 Dead in Philadelphia Mass Shooting
2 boys, ages 2 and 13, were also injured
- A gunman wearing a bulletproof vest opened fire on the streets of Philadelphia on Monday night, killing four people and wounding two boys in the latest outbreak of gun violence in the United States, police said. The victims were apparently random, with no connection immediately known between them and the...
'Civic Pride' Reopens I-95 Early
Jun 23, 2023 5:05 PM CDT
'Civic Pride' Reopens I-95 Early
Philadelphia celebrates as traffic flows again less than two weeks after elevated section collapsed
- Interstate 95 reopened Friday less than two weeks after a deadly collapse in Philadelphia, a quicker-than-expected rebuild to get traffic flowing again on a heavily traveled stretch of the East Coast's main north-south highway. Workers put the finishing touches on an interim six-lane roadway that will serve motorists during...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
She Is One of Only Eight in the World
From Sleeper Hit to 'Generational Anthem'
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.