Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
5 High School Football Players
Shot After Scrimmage, 1 Fatally
Sep 28, 2022 1:30 AM CDT
5 High School Football Players Shot After Scrimmage, 1 Fatally
Boy, 14, dies in Pennsylvania shooting
- As five high school football players were walking off the field after a scrimmage against two other teams Tuesday afternoon, police say they were ambushed by two gunmen behind a high school in a Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, neighborhood. A 14-year-old boy was shot in the chest and pronounced dead at a...
Philadelphia Cuts Down
Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
in case you missed it
Sep 25, 2022 11:45 AM CDT
Philadelphia Cuts Down Brewery's Entire Hop Crop
Workers mistook them for weeds
- The Philadelphia Brewing Company won't be releasing its popular Harvest From the Hood pale ale this year because overzealous city workers destroyed the crop of hops it was growing in a lot next to the brewery. Brewery co-owner Nancy Barton says the hops—fast-growing climbing plants—were being grown...
Ex-Philadelphia Cop Guilty
in Death of Black Motorist
Sep 21, 2022 6:50 PM CDT
Ex-Philadelphia Cop Guilty in Death of Black Motorist
Jury found Eric Ruch Jr. guilty of voluntary manslaughter in 2017 shooting
- A white Philadelphia police officer was convicted Wednesday of voluntary manslaughter and a weapons charge in the fatal shooting of an unarmed Black motorist shot six seconds after the officer arrived on the scene. Officer Eric Ruch Jr. told jurors he feared for his life when he fired at Dennis...
4 Juveniles Surrender After
Deadly Attack on Man, 73
Jul 14, 2022 5:16 AM CDT
4 Juveniles Surrender After Deadly Attack on Man, 73
Two 14-year-olds have been charged in connection with Philadelphia attack
- Police in Philadelphia say a 14-year-old girl has surrendered to authorities in connection with a disturbing attack that killed a 73-year-old man last month. A 14-year-old boy turned himself in on Monday and both suspects have been charged with third-degree murder and conspiracy, 6ABC reports. Police say James Lambert was...
This Is the No.1
in the US
Jul 11, 2022 11:06 AM CDT
This Is the No.1 Stressed City in the US
Cleveland might have your stomach in knots, per WalletHub's rankings
- If you've been feeling a little overwhelmed lately, you're not alone—especially depending on where you live. WalletHub wanted to see what parts of the country were more frazzled than others, and so the site looked at more than 180 of the most populated US cities, examining more...
Cops: Man Was Shot Dead
for Driving Too Slowly
Jun 30, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Cops: Man Was Shot Dead for Driving Too Slowly
'This was a horrendous, unnecessary death,' police chief says
- Days after a Subway employee was fatally shot by a customer who complained about too much mayo on his sandwich, another senseless killing: Police say a man was shot dead near Philadelphia Wednesday morning because somebody thought he was driving too slowly. Authorities say 54-year-old King Hau was fatally shot...
Philippine Gov't Attorney
Killed in Uber on
Jun 20, 2022 1:50 AM CDT
Philippine Gov't Attorney Killed in Uber on US Vacation
It's not clear whether he was targeted
- A government attorney for the Philippines was fatally shot in an Uber while visiting Philadelphia, officials said Sunday. John Albert Laylo was heading to Philadelphia International Airport with his mother to board a flight and was stopped in the Uber at a red light near the University of Pennsylvania around...
Collapse Traps Philadelphia
Firefighters, and One Dies
Jun 19, 2022 9:15 AM CDT
Collapse Traps Philadelphia Firefighters, and One Dies
Lt. Sean Williamson could not be saved
- A building caught fire and later collapsed in Philadelphia, killing one firefighter and injuring five other people, authorities said. The fire was reported just before 2am Saturday in north Philadelphia, per the AP . Eight occupants were safely evacuated and the fire had been declared under control, officials said. At 3:...
Fire, Then Building Collapse
Kills Philly Firefighter
Jun 18, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Fire, Then Building Collapse Kills Philly Firefighter
4 other firefighters and a city inspector were pulled from the rubble and are now in stable condition
- One firefighter has died after being trapped in a building that caught fire in Philadelphia and then collapsed early Saturday, fire officials said. The fallen firefighter wasn't immediately identified, but Deputy Fire Commissioner Craig Murphy said he was a 27-year department veteran, per the AP . Four other firefighters and...
At Least 5 Gunmen Involved in
Philadelphia Mass Shooting
Jun 6, 2022 1:29 AM CDT
At Least 5 Gunmen Involved in Philadelphia Mass Shooting
Police give more details on shootings that left 3 dead
- Police have confirmed there were multiple gunmen during the shooting on Philadelphia's South Street that left three dead and 11 hurt Saturday night, but they have not yet identified any suspects. According to the
, police say it was about 11pm when two men dressed in black ran...
3 Dead, 11 Wounded in
Philadelphia Mass Shooting
Jun 5, 2022 8:01 AM CDT
3 Dead, 11 Wounded in Philadelphia Mass Shooting
It happened on the highly popular South Street
- "Once it started I didn’t think it was going to stop," said a witness to a mass shooting in Philadelphia late Saturday that left three dead and 11 wounded. The
reports the shooting, which police say involved multiple shooters, took place just before midnight on South...
Mother's Day Flowers
Had Quite the Surprise
May 11, 2022 10:00 AM CDT
Catholic School's Mother's Day Flowers Had Quite the Surprise
Lingerie was stuffed inside artificial roses sold by Philly school
- Picking out the right Mother's Day gift "isn't very hard to get right," according to the
—pick up some flowers and you're good to go. Just maybe not the ones sold by St. Anselm School. The
reports that the pre-K through...
Ex-Cop Charged With
Murder in Shooting of Boy, 12
May 2, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
Ex-Cop Charged With Murder in Shooting of Boy, 12
DA says Edsaul Mendoza shot TJ Siderio in the back at near-point blank range
: A former Philadelphia police officer who was fired after the fatal shooting of a 12-year-old in March has been charged with murder. Prosecutors say the shot that killed Thomas "TJ" Siderio was fired from near-point blank range while the boy was unarmed and "essentially face down on...
This City's 'Historic
Deluge' of Abandoned
Cars Has No Fix in Sight
Apr 25, 2022 1:26 PM CDT
This City's 'Historic Deluge' of Abandoned Cars Has No Fix in Sight
Included in backlog of 34K vehicle complaints in Philly: speedboats, campaign van, Tastykake trucks
- The city of Philadelphia is more than happy to offer info on how residents can file a report on abandoned cars in the metro area. "Glad you asked!" reads the city's page devoted to "one of our most frequently submitted service requests." And they're...
on Mask Mandate
Apr 21, 2022 10:23 PM CDT
Philadelphia Does Abrupt About-Face on Mask Mandate
Drops it just days after it went into effect
Philadelphia is ending its indoor mask mandate, city health officials said Thursday night, abruptly reversing course just days after city residents had to start wearing masks again amid a sharp increase in infections. The Board of Health voted Thursday to rescind the mandate, according to the Philadelphia health department,...
Troopers Left Suspicious Driver
Who Later Killed Them: Report
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Mar 26, 2022 4:35 PM CDT
Troopers Left Suspicious Driver Who Later Killed Them: Report
Driver suspected of DUI struck and killed 2 Pennsylvania troopers and a pedestrian, police say
- Two Pennsylvania troopers were helping a man on the side of a highway early Monday when a driver plowed into them, killing all three. In a shocking twist, Martin F. Mack III, 33, and Branden Sisca, 29, had initially pulled over the female driver on suspicion of driving under the...
Cops: Boy's Lighter
Ignited Christmas Tree
in Devastating Fire
Jan 12, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Cops: Boy's Lighter Ignited Christmas Tree in Devastating Fire
Police can now say with 'near certainty' that's the cause of blaze that killed 12
Police say with "near certainty" that it was a 5-year-old playing with a lighter near a Christmas tree that ignited the devastating Philadelphia blaze that left 12 people dead. The child, whom police describe as "traumatized," was the only person on the second story of the...
Survival an 'Absolute Miracle'
After Medical Chopper Crashes
Jan 11, 2022 1:51 PM CST
Survival an 'Absolute Miracle' After Medical Chopper Crashes
4 people, including infant patient, escaped crash in suburban Philadelphia
- A medical helicopter crashed Tuesday in a residential area of suburban Philadelphia with four people on board, including an infant—and are all expected to survive, authorities say. Rescue crews rushed to the crash near a church at an intersection in Upper Darby’s Drexel Hill neighborhood at about 1pm...
This Is the City With
the Most Active Lifestyle
Jan 6, 2022 12:52 PM CST
This Is the City With the Most Active Lifestyle
San Francisco tops WalletHub's ranking, while North Las Vegas brings up the rear
- Juggling work, family, and one's own health and fitness can be a daunting task, and the latter often takes a back seat to all other responsibilities. The pandemic has caused even more people to stay away from gyms and other indoor activities. But there are some cities where residents...
'This Is Probably One of the
Worst Fires I've Ever Been To'
Jan 5, 2022 10:09 AM CST
'This Is Probably One of the Worst Fires I've Ever Been To'
'Heavy fire' kills 13 in Philadelphia home
- At least 13 people are dead, seven of them children, in a Philadelphia house fire that Deputy Fire Commissioner Craig Murphy described as among the worst he has witnessed. "It was terrible," said Murphy, per CNN . "I've been around for 30, 35 years now, and this...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Says McConnell Has 'Death Wish,' Insults His Wife
Ruling on Naomi Judd Death Probe Sees a 180
A $1.2B Ship Was Destroyed. Now, a Sailor Hears His Fate
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
A Daughter Changes Her Mind About Zodiac Killer's Identity
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.