Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Supreme Court Delivers
Bad News to Alabama GOP
Sep 26, 2023 11:02 AM CDT
Supreme Court Delivers Bad News to Alabama GOP
SCOTUS will allow redrawing of congressional map to go forward, over state's objections
- The Supreme Court on Tuesday allowed the drawing of a new Alabama congressional map with greater representation for Black voters to proceed, rejecting the state's plea to retain Republican-drawn lines that were struck down by a lower court. In refusing to intervene, the justices, without any noted dissent, allowed...
Are on the Way
Sep 8, 2023 7:23 AM CDT
Kavanaugh: SCOTUS Ethics Changes Are on the Way
He predicts 'concrete steps' in the near future
- Public confidence in the Supreme Court is at a 50-year-low, but Justice Brett Kavanaugh says change is on the way. When asked about "perceived ethical issues" at a judicial conference Thursday, Kavanaugh said the court is "continuing to work on those issues," as Chief Justice John Robert...
Supreme Court Has a New
'Most Conservative' Justice
Jul 4, 2023 2:52 PM CDT
Supreme Court Has a New 'Most Conservative' Justice
Samuel Alito overtakes Clarence Thomas in analysis
- Now that the latest Supreme Court term is in the books, Axios is out with some interesting nuggets about the ideological breakdown. Based on the Martin-Quinn Scores from political scientists Andrew Martin and Kevin Quinn, the site reports that Samuel Alito has overtaken Clarence Thomas as the court's most...
Abortion Pill Fight at SCOTUS
May Be 'Boundary Testing'
Apr 11, 2023 9:55 AM CDT
Abortion Pill Fight at SCOTUS May Be 'Boundary Testing'
Legal experts say even conservative judges will see reason to pause
- An attorney for abortion pill distributor Danco Laboratories says the company will appeal to the Supreme Court if the US 5th Circuit Court of Appeals doesn't block a Texas judge's decision to reverse FDA approval of mifepristone. It's an "unprecedented judicial assault on a careful regulatory...
Kavanaugh on SCOTUS:
Divide Is Overplayed in Media
Jan 27, 2023 1:00 AM CST
Kavanaugh on SCOTUS: Divide Is Overplayed in Media
'We work well together,' he says
- You might think things are contentious on the Supreme Court, given the apparent division along party lines of the nine justices. But, speaking at an event for Notre Dame's law school this week, Justice Brett Kavanaugh insisted that's not the case, NBC News and CNN report. "There...
Jul 11, 2022 2:34 AM CDT
Buttigieg: Protesters at Kavanaugh's Dinner A-OK
Transportation secretary sees no issue with protesters outside Morton's
- Protesters gathered outside the Morton's steakhouse in Washington, DC, last week as Brett Kavanaugh dined inside, demanding the Supreme Court justice be kicked out. Pete Buttigieg has no problem with that. The transportation secretary was asked about the issue Sunday on Fox News because his husband Chasten tweeted about...
Supreme Court: Protests
at Our Homes Must Stop
Jul 3, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
Supreme Court: Protests at Our Homes Must Stop
Court asks Virginia and Maryland to end the demonstrations
- The marshal of the US Supreme Court has asked Maryland and Virginia officials to enforce laws she says prohibit picketing outside the homes of the justices who live in the two states. “For weeks on end, large groups of protesters chanting slogans, using bullhorns, and banging drums have picketed...
'I Feel Misled'
Jun 25, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
GOP senator, Dem Sen. Manchin say Kavanaugh, Gorsuch assured them this wouldn't happen
- As reaction continues to the Supreme Court's landmark decision Friday to overturn Roe v. Wade, two big names in government are expressing their unhappiness about it—partly because they feel personally bamboozled by two of the high court's conservative justices who voted with the majority. "I...
Arrest Near Kavanaugh Home
Highlights a New Threat
Jun 10, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Arrest Near Kavanaugh Home Highlights a New Threat
Concern grows for security of Supreme Court justices
- The arrest of an armed man near the home of Brett Kavanaugh has put the focus on security for the Supreme Court and its justices—not to mention turmoil within the court at a particularly volatile moment . Coverage:
Nancy Pelosi and House Democrats on Thursday delayed action on
Suspect Near Kavanaugh's
House Called 911 Himself
Jun 8, 2022 7:55 PM CDT
Suspect Near Kavanaugh's House Called 911 Himself
Californian faces attempted murder count
- The California man arrested Wednesday outside Justice Brett Kavanaugh's home has been charged with attempted murder of a Supreme Court justice. A federal affidavit identified the man as Nicholas John Roske, 26, of Simi Valley, the
New York Times
reports. The document says that the man was carrying a...
Armed Man Arrested Near
Brett Kavanaugh's Home
Jun 8, 2022 10:05 AM CDT
Armed Man Arrested Near Brett Kavanaugh's Home
Authorities say he'd been making threats against the Supreme Court justice
- Police in Maryland arrested an armed man near the home of Brett Kavanaugh, and they say he told officers he wanted to kill the Supreme Court justice, reports the
. The suspect hasn't been identified and has been described only as a man in his 20s from California....
After Protests at Judges'
Homes, Biden Speaks Out
May 9, 2022 2:11 PM CDT
After Protests at Judges' Homes, Biden Speaks Out
They 'must be able to do their jobs without concern for their personal safety'
- President Biden on Monday expressed his support for judges after protesters converged on the private homes of two Supreme Court justices in the DC area over the weekend. "Judges perform an incredibly important function in our society, and they must be able to do their jobs without concern for...
Move to Homes
May 8, 2022 12:05 PM CDT
Demonstrations Move to Homes of Justices
Roe supporters take issue to Roberts, Kavanaugh
- Demonstrators met outside the Washington-area homes of Chief Justice John Roberts and Justice Brett Kavanaugh over the weekend to voice their opposition to overturning Roe v. Wade. "You don’t get to take away my bodily autonomy and get enjoy your Saturday at home," one protester said. "...
Fate of Roe v. Wade Will
Depend on 3 Justices
Dec 1, 2021 3:22 PM CST
Fate of Roe v. Wade Will Depend on 3 Justices
Analysts say Roberts, Barrett, Kavanaugh are the ones to watch
- After Supreme Court arguments Wednesday, the future of abortion rights in America will now likely be decided by three justices, including the second two of Donald Trump's three nominees to the top court, analysts say—and it's not looking good for Roe v. Wade. All six conservative justices...
Tests Positive for COVID
Oct 1, 2021 8:23 AM CDT
Justice Kavanaugh Tests Positive for COVID
Supreme Court says he has no symptoms, is fully vaccinated
- The Supreme Court says Justice Brett Kavanaugh has tested positive for COVID-19, per the AP . The court said in a press release Friday that Kavanaugh has no symptoms and has been fully vaccinated since January. Kavanaugh and all the other justices had a routine coronavirus test ahead of Friday's...
Jul 22, 2021 5:40 PM CDT
FBI Reveals Kavanaugh Check Drew 4.5K Tips
Christine Blasey Ford's lawyers say the background investigation was 'a sham'
- The FBI has revived criticism of its handling of the 2018 background check on Brett Kavanaugh by conceding it received more than 4,500 tips on him. Kavanaugh's confirmation hearings for a seat on the US Supreme Court included testimony by Christine Blasey Ford, a professor who accused the...
Trump Seethes Over
Kavanaugh in New Book
Jul 13, 2021 12:24 PM CDT
Trump Seethes Over Kavanaugh in New Book
'Where would he be without me,' Trump asks Michael Wolff
- Former President Trump is in lots of headlines Tuesday, in part because of advance looks at two upcoming books. One is
, the latest from Michael Wolff (a Newser co-founder). The other is
I Alone Can Fix It
reporters Carol Loennig and Philip Rucker. Coverage:
Supreme Court Sides With
College Athletes on Benefits
Jun 21, 2021 10:10 AM CDT
Supreme Court Sides With College Athletes on Benefits
Ruling could make it easier for them to be compensated for non-tuition expenses
- In a ruling that could push changes in college athletics, the Supreme Court on Monday unanimously sided with a group of former college athletes over rules limiting certain compensation. The high court ruled that NCAA limits on the education-related benefits that colleges can offer athletes who play Division I basketball...
Supreme Court's Interesting
New Math: 3-3-3
Jun 18, 2021 9:40 AM CDT
Supreme Court's Interesting New Math: 3-3-3
The 6-3 conservative majority isn't issuing decisions quite as expected, at least so far
- When Amy Coney Barrett replaced Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court last year, it resulted in what is usually described as a 6-3 advantage for conservatives over liberals on the court. But two big decisions Thursday— one on ObamaCare and the other on a Catholic group that refuses to...
Supreme Court Move Means
J&J Owes Women $2B
Jun 1, 2021 9:10 AM CDT
Supreme Court Move Means J&J Owes Women $2B
Company wanted justices to review decision over talc-based baby powder, but they declined
- The Supreme Court is leaving in place a $2 billion verdict in favor of women who say they developed ovarian cancer from using Johnson & Johnson talc products, per the AP . The justices didn't comment Tuesday in rejecting Johnson & Johnson's appeal . The company argued that it wasn'...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
For Giuliani, It's a Huge Day in Court
Priest Fatally Stabbed in Catholic Church Invasion
Native Americans in Montana Challenge New Gender Law
Mama June's Oldest Daughter Dead at 29
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.