Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Oct 9, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
He Just Shattered the Marathon World Record
Kelvin Kiptum runs Chicago Marathon in 2 hours, 35 seconds
- Kelvin Kiptum on Sunday ran the Chicago Marathon in what once would have been an unthinkable time: barely over 2 hours. The Kenyan runner's 2:00:35 finish, which still must be ratified, beat the previous world record for a marathon, set by Eliud Kipchoge, by 34 seconds; it'...
She Just Broke Marathon
Record by 2 Minutes
Sep 24, 2023 7:26 AM CDT
She Just Broke Marathon Record by 2 Minutes
Tigst Assefa of Ethiopia was in only her third competitive marathon
- Tigst Assefa broke the women's world record by more than two minutes Sunday at the Berlin Marathon, per the AP . The Ethiopian, who also won in Berlin a year ago, ran 2 hours, 11 minutes, 53 seconds to break the previous women's record of 2:14:04 set...
Report: 11K Cheated in
Mexico City Marathon
Sep 7, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
Report: 11K Cheated in Mexico City Marathon
Some of them reportedly took public transport to the finish line
- This year's Mexico City Marathon was a carnival of cheating, with more than a third of the 30,000 runners disqualified, according to Spanish sports newspaper
. According to Marca, tracking data showed that 11,000 runners didn't pass checkpoints set up every 3.1 miles along the...
6-Year-Old Completes Full
Marathon, Causes Firestorm
May 5, 2022 12:31 PM CDT
6-Year-Old Completes Full Marathon, Causes Firestorm
Many aren't happy that Cincinnati race organizers let this happen
- The family that runs together ... causes controversy together. That's the case in Cincinnati, where organizers of the annual Flying Pig Marathon are taking heat for not stopping a 6-year-old boy from running (and finishing) the 26.2-mile race with his parents on Sunday. WLWT reports that the mom and...
Strength in Running
a Marathon a Day
Apr 29, 2022 1:08 AM CDT
Amputee Finds Strength in Running a Marathon a Day
Jacky Hunt-Broersma completes her quest
On Thursday, Jacky Hunt-Broersma achieved her goal of running 102 marathons in as many days, setting an unofficial women’s world record. And the amputee athlete can't stop/won't stop, saying she'll run two more for good measure and wrap up her challenge on Saturday with 104,...
Woman Dies After Collapsing
at LA Marathon Finish Line
Mar 24, 2022 12:40 AM CDT
Woman Dies After Collapsing at LA Marathon Finish Line
Trisha Paddock, 46, was running the half-marathon
- A woman collapsed at the finish line of the Los Angeles Marathon Sunday afternoon with what the LA Fire Department describes as "a medical complaint that escalated to a witnessed cardiac arrest." By that night, she had died, Deadline reports. Trisha Paddock, 46, was running in the 13....
She Ran a Marathon Every
Day Until She Caught COVID
Nov 15, 2021 6:40 PM CST
She Ran a Marathon Every Day Until She Caught COVID
Alyssa Clark ran 26.2 miles every day for 95 days
- Like a lot of people, Alyssa Clark needed a quarantine project. And, as she wound up the project, she "just felt like running." Her husband is in the military and stationed in Naples, Italy, so she started running on a treadmill indoors while there. She had been training...
Olympic Champ Joins
Thousands in Paris Run
Oct 31, 2021 11:40 AM CDT
Olympic Champ Joins Thousands in Paris Run
Eliud Kipchoge starts at the back of the race on the Champs-Elysees
- Some 3,600 amateur runners faced off Sunday against Olympic marathon champion Eliud Kipchoge in a special race in the heart of Paris, an event tied to the city's hosting of the 2024 Olympics. The runners raced along the historic, cobblestoned Champs-Elysees, with Kipchoge starting off last, darting alongside....
One in 8
Started the Race
Ended Up Dying
Oct 17, 2021 10:55 AM CDT
One in 8 Runners Who Started the Race Ended Up Dying
The 'WSJ' digs into the deadly ultramarathon in China
- Running 60 miles would feel like death for most of us. For 21 runners in China, it actually was deadly . Writing for the
Wall Street Journal
, Wenxin Fan takes a deep dive into just what went wrong during the May 22 ultramarathon , which saw 172 runners set off at 9am—...
Boston Marathon Held
for First Time in 30 Months
Oct 11, 2021 3:17 PM CDT
Boston Marathon Held for First Time in 30 Months
Kenyan runners swept long-delayed race
- With fall foliage replacing the blooming daffodils and mylar blankets sharing space with masks, the pandemic-delayed Boston Marathon returned Monday after a 30-month absence for a smaller, socially distanced race that ended in a very familiar way. Benson Kipruto and Diana Kipyogei completed a Kenyan sweep—the eighth since 2000...
Marathon's First US Winner in
20 Years Caught a Lucky Break
Sep 28, 2021 10:50 AM CDT
Marathon's First US Winner in 20 Years Caught a Lucky Break
2 Kenyan leaders were diverted, disqualified at Quad Cities Marathon
- An Illinois man became the first US runner since 2001 to claim victory in the Quad Cities Marathon on Sunday after watching the two Kenyan runners ahead of him go the wrong way. "I was about 20 seconds back, so I kind of saw it happening but I'm...
Marathon Course Goof Leads
to Debate About Real Winner
Sep 14, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
Marathon Course Goof Leads to Debate About Real Winner
Brighton Marathon organizers apologize after cone line was placed incorrectly
- A marathon runner who runs an extra half-kilometer might be proud. Then again, a runner winning at the 26.2-mile mark, where the finish line should be, might be more than a little annoyed if that extra distance gives another runner a chance to pass and win. Sunday’s Brighton...
Nation Halts All Extreme Sports
After 'Man-Made Disaster'
Jun 3, 2021 10:00 AM CDT
Nation Halts All Extreme Sports After 'Man-Made Disaster'
Ultramarathon in China's Gansu province, which led to 21 deaths, isn't the only event that's seen problems
- Last month, 21 competitors in a 62-mile ultramarathon in China's Gansu province perished during severe weather that included freezing rain, hail, and frigid strong winds. On Wednesday, in response to that deadly event, the country's sports oversight agency announced it's indefinitely suspending all extreme sports—including ultra-long...
Gives Up on the Spring
Oct 29, 2020 9:40 AM CDT
Boston Marathon Gives Up on the Spring
Organizers hope it will happen in fall 2021
- This year, Boston Marathon organizers postponed the event until the fall before deciding to cancel the race for the first time in its 124-year history and replace it with a virtual event. Organizers say they hope to hold the race again in 2021, but the traditional date of the third...
A Major Sporting Event
Is Canceled for 2020
Jun 24, 2020 11:25 AM CDT
A Major Sporting Event Is Canceled for 2020
The New York City Marathon takes a year off
- Long-distance runners, bad news: The New York City Marathon just got canceled for 2020. Event organizers and the mayor's office said Wednesday it's just too dangerous to assemble some 50,000 runners in the middle of a pandemic, TMZ reports. They cited "coronavirus-related health and safety concerns...
He Broke the 2-Hour Marathon
'Barrier.' How? There's No Secret
Apr 5, 2020 12:20 PM CDT
He Broke the 2-Hour Marathon 'Barrier.' How? There's No Secret
Eliud Kipchoge did what many believed couldn't be done
- For decades, it was believed to be impossible to run a marathon in less than two hours. Then, in October, Eliud Kipchoge became the first person to do it. How? Knox Robinson spent time with Kipchoge at his rural training camp in Kenya, and in an extensive piece for
Man Runs a Marathon in
This Very Small Backyard
Apr 1, 2020 3:35 PM CDT
Man Runs a Marathon in This Very Small Backyard
James Campbell had an interesting 32nd birthday
- Being stuck at home didn't stop a British man from running an outdoor marathon. James Campbell, a former professional javelin thrower, spent his 32nd birthday on Wednesday doing 20-foot shuttles from one end of his small backyard to the other after promising to run a marathon if one of...
Kept in by
Virus, Man Runs
Marathon ... on
Mar 21, 2020 9:00 AM CDT
Kept in by Virus, Man Runs Marathon ... on His Balcony
Weird feat took Elisha Nochomovitz almost 7 hours
- In the age of confinement amid the coronavirus outbreak, Elisha Nochomovitz figured out a way to run a marathon anyway: back and forth on his balcony. That’s right—he ran 26.2 miles straight, never leaving his 23-foot-long balcony. Nochomovitz saw it as a physical and mental challenge, but...
Runner's First Marathon
Sends Her to Olympics
Mar 2, 2020 5:13 PM CST
Runner's First Marathon Sends Her to Olympics
Molly Seidel pulled away with two other runners, and all three are bound for Tokyo
- "What is happening?" Molly Seidel kept asking Saturday in Atlanta after running a marathon for the first time. It was hard to believe. With a time of 2 hours, 27 minutes, Seidel had just finished second in the Olympic trials, earning her a ticket to the Games this summer...
Nike Nailed It With These
Shoes—and That's a Problem
Jan 18, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Nike Nailed It With These Shoes—and That's a Problem
The Vaporfly is helping marathon runners break records
- Some shoes aren't just good, they're
good—which has World Athletics seeking a response to Nike's Vaporfly sneakers, Quartz reports. The governing body of track and field knows these shoes are helping runners set marathon records, but what to do? The
of London reports a...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cops Warn About New iPhone Feature, Experts Say to Chill
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Bad News Part II for Trump on Legal Front
Santos: 'I No Longer Have to Answer a Single Question'
Prosecutors: Inmate Stabbed Chauvin 22 Times
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.