Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
to a Mix-Up
Sep 23, 2019 9:45 AM CDT
Runner Finds Creative Solution to a Mix-Up
Massachusetts woman runs her own half-marathon after signing up for far-away race
- A Massachusetts woman thought she was signing up to run a half-marathon near her home, not across the Atlantic Ocean, per the AP . Sheila Pereira learned too late that the Worcester City Half Marathon was actually being held in Worcester, England, and not Worcester, Massachusetts, on Sept. 15. She decided...
Died by Suicide
Jul 9, 2019 2:27 PM CDT
Disqualified Marathoner, 70, Died by Suicide
Dr. Frank Meza's death resulted from 'blunt force traumatic injuries,' coroner finds
- The 70-year-old retired physician disqualified from the 2019 Los Angeles Marathon after allegations of cheating died by suicide, the Los Angeles County coroner's office has determined. Dr. Frank Meza was found dead in the Los Angeles River Thursday, days after he was disqualified from the March race, in which...
They Said He Cheated in His
Record Run. Now He's Dead
Jul 6, 2019 6:30 AM CDT
They Said He Cheated in His Record Run. Now He's Dead
Frank Meza, 70, disqualified from Los Angeles Marathon earlier this week, found in LA River
- A record-setting 70-year-old runner who earlier this week had been disqualified from the Los Angeles Marathon amid cheating accusations was found dead Thursday morning in the Los Angeles River, the LA County coroner's office has confirmed to the
. ABC13 reports that the LAPD responded to a body...
Record Run at LA Marathon
Was Actually 'Impossible'
Jul 3, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
Record Run at LA Marathon Was Actually 'Impossible'
Frank Meza, 70, disqualified for cheating
- It was a record-setting run—until it wasn't. Frank Meza, a 70-year-old who logged an impressive time of 2:53:10 at the Los Angeles Marathon in March, has been disqualified after cameras caught him violating a couple of rules, per the
Los Angeles Times
. As pointed out by...
22-Year-Old Collapses, Dies
During Cleveland Marathon
May 20, 2019 2:54 PM CDT
22-Year-Old Collapses, Dies During Cleveland Marathon
Taylor Ceepo was a recent college graduate, soccer player
- A 22-year-old woman collapsed and died during the Cleveland Marathon Sunday morning, cleveland.com reports. Taylor Ceepo was dead on arrival at a nearby hospital, but no further details were yet available on symptoms or cause of death. She was about a quarter-mile from the finish line when she collapsed,...
Marathon Guide Car
Leads Runners Astray
May 6, 2019 8:31 AM CDT
Marathon Guide Car Leads Runners Astray
As a result, Belfast race ended up being at least one-third of a mile too long
- Marathons are tough. They're even tougher when the car guiding runners goes off course—twice—and makes the race longer than it should be. Organizers of the Belfast City Marathon are apologizing to runners after they say their route ended up being one-third of a mile too long because...
No Dress? Then No
World Record for You
May 5, 2019 5:00 PM CDT
No Dress? Then No World Record for You
Jessica Anderson denied a Guinness World Record over her attire
- A nurse who ran in the London Marathon last week found her Guinness World Record in jeopardy because she didn't wear a dress, the
New York Times
reports. Jessica Anderson, a professional nurse, ran the marathon in 3 hours 8 minutes 22 seconds and became the fastest woman to...
A Few Cheaters Is Normal.
This Race Had 258
Nov 30, 2018 7:07 AM CST
A Few Cheaters Is Normal. This Race Had 258
Some face lifetime bans after Sunday's half marathon in Shenzhen
- More than 250 half-marathon runners are facing bans in China for what organizers describe as blatant cheating in a race in Shenzhen. Some 237 participants in Sunday's race face two-year bans after traffic cameras spotted them taking shortcuts. One video shows runners making a U-turn through a treed area...
2011: Lost His Feet to Frostbite.
2018: Finishes a Marathon
Nov 14, 2018 8:51 AM CST
2011: Lost His Feet to Frostbite. 2018: Finishes a Marathon
Marko Cheseto also just became a US citizen
- A former University of Alaska Anchorage runner who lost both of his feet to frostbite in 2011 ran his first marathon and became an American citizen last week, the AP reports. Marko Cheseto, 35, finished 613th overall out of nearly 53,000 runners at the New York City Marathon on...
Has Its Winners
Nov 4, 2018 12:40 PM CST
NYC Marathon Has Its Winners
Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia, Mary Keitany of Kenya take top spots
- Lelisa Desisa of Ethiopia has won the New York City Marathon, holding off countryman Shura Kitata by 1.99 seconds, the AP reports. Desisa finished in 2 hours, 5 minutes, 59 seconds. Last year's winner, Geoffrey Kamworor of Kenya, finished third. Mary Keitany of Kenya became the second woman...
Oct 21, 2018 7:11 AM CDT
Dissident Marathoner Returns Home From Exile
After protest on Rio Olympics stand, Feyisa Lilesa finally goes back to Ethiopia
- The Ethiopian marathon runner who made global headlines with an anti-government gesture at the Rio Olympics returned from exile on Sunday after sports officials assured him he will not face prosecution. Feyisa Lilesa's return from the United States came several months after a reformist prime minister took office and...
Marathon's World Record
Has Been Shattered
Sep 16, 2018 6:07 AM CDT
Marathon's World Record Has Been Shattered
Kenya's Eliud Kipchoge fells record by more than a minute in Berlin Marathon
- Eliud Kipchoge has an Olympic gold medal in the marathon, and has clocked the fastest recorded time of 26.2 miles in an unratified race, but now he holds the official world record—and by quite a bit, coming in at 2 hours, 1 minute, 39 seconds in Sunday's...
Runner in Purple Is Real
Shock of Boston Marathon
Apr 18, 2018 5:03 AM CDT
Runner in Purple Is Real Shock of Boston Marathon
Sarah Sellers is a virtual unknown
- That an American female won the Boston Marathon for the first time since 1985 made headlines, but it's the woman who came in second who is grabbing them now. Eyes are shifting to Sarah Sellers, who finished 4 minutes and 10 seconds behind winner Desiree Linden with a time...
Cops Nab 6
in Foiled Plot
to Stab Runners
Apr 8, 2018 12:06 PM CDT
Cops Nab 6 in Foiled Plot to Stab Runners
Main suspect is linked to 2016 Berlin market attack
- Six people were detained in connection with what police and prosecutors allege was a plan to carry out an attack on Berlin's half-marathon Sunday, German authorities say. "There were isolated indications that those arrested, aged between 18 and 21 years, were participating in the preparation of a crime...
Runner Could Lose Feet After
Attempting Punishing Race
Feb 15, 2018 9:35 AM CST
Runner Could Lose Feet After Attempting Punishing Race
Roberto Zanda was attempting the Yukon Arctic Ultra
- The chances of emerging from a 300-mile race through Canada's Yukon Territory amid temps as low as minus 40 unscathed? Not good for Roberto Zanda. On Feb. 7, what was day six of the nine-day race—which can be completed on foot, skis, or mountain bike—guides working the...
High School Student Carries
Marathoner Across Finish Line
Dec 11, 2017 7:35 PM CST
High School Student Carries Marathoner Across Finish Line
Ariana Luterman's act of sportsmanship has gone viral
- In just 24 hours, her face and name have become world famous for what's seen as a supreme act of sportsmanship. Dallas-area high school student Ariana Luterman was finishing the anchor leg of a girls' relay in Sunday's Dallas Marathon when she saw the legs of the women'...
Under Tight Security
Nov 13, 2017 2:47 AM CST
Vegas Marathon Goes Ahead Under Tight Security
Runners spoke of defiance, strength after mass shooting
- Las Vegas ramped up security for the annual Rock 'n' Roll Marathon, which was the first major outdoor event on the Strip since the mass shooting. The city posted snipers and used a helicopter to watch for danger as tens of thousands participated in the race. Many wore T-shirts...
Favorites Off Course
Oct 23, 2017 4:30 PM CDT
Runner Wins Marathon After Motorcycle Leads Favorites Off Course
The 7 runners in the lead lost around 2 minutes
- Sunday's Venice Marathon was just the second Eyob Ghebrehiwet Faniel ever ran—and yet the Eritrean-born Italian runner won the race, thanks to a wrong turn. A guide motorcycle led the pack of seven runners who were in the lead several hundred meters off course before they realized the...
Will Break You
Jul 27, 2017 6:54 PM CDT
The Ludicrous Barkley Marathons Will Break You
Fewer than 20 people have completed the race in 31 years
- To complete Tennessee's Barkley Marathons, runners only need to average 2mph for 60 hours. Easy, right? Not so much,
reports in a must-read piece that simultaneously makes the race seem like heaven and hell on Earth. The Barkley Marathons comprises five loops through Frozen Head State Park. There'...
Professor Nears 70 Marathons
Heeding Wife's Dying Wish
Jul 22, 2017 1:15 PM CDT
Professor Nears 70 Marathons Heeding Wife's Dying Wish
She pleaded with him to be there for the kids
- In 2003, as Christine Guetzloff was dying of ovarian cancer at the age of 34, she sat her husband down for an important conversation. "Tom, you need to do something—you're just way out of shape," she told the West Virginia State college chemistry professor. "Look...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Trump Suggests Suspending the Constitution
Teenager Thought He Bought a Percocet. It Killed Him
Scans Show How Pandemic Changed Teenage Brains
Chris Christie's Niece Booted Off Plane, Allegedly Bites Officers
Few in GOP Differ With Trump on Constitution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.