Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
You Know What Anorexia Is.
But That's Just Half the Story
Oct 18, 2022 5:48 PM CDT
You Know What Anorexia Is. But That's Just Half the Story
The 'NYT Magazine' explores the newer diagnosis of atypical anorexia
- Read the words "anorexia nervosa" and you'll likely visualize an emaciated person. That view might change after reading Kate Siber's piece for the
New York Times Magazine
. It's a deep dive into "atypical anorexia," a little-discussed eating disorder that mirrors that of anorexia—extreme...
23 Years of Eating
in case you missed it
Jun 4, 2022 1:45 PM CDT
23 Years of Eating Only Potato-Chip Sandwiches Has Ended
25-year-old British woman had a real aversion to other foods, tried hypnotherapy
- After 23 years of eating the same, sort of strange, thing every day, a 25-year-old woman is a creature of habit no more thanks to hypnotherapy. In one of the more British stories in recent memory,
reports that Zoe Sadler somehow managed to subsist on "cheese and onion...
Valerie Bertinelli's Reaction to
Troll is Priceless, Powerful
Jul 10, 2021 10:24 AM CDT
Valerie Bertinelli's Reaction to Troll is Priceless, Powerful
The Food Network star doesn't need strangers to comment on her weight
- Aging in front of a camera can be hard on an actor. Images of, say, Eddie Van Halen’s bride or the very young star of
One Day at a Time
star remain perpetually adorable, while the actual three-dimensional human Valerie Bertinelli grew up, tried new roles, wrote a couple...
Big Bang Theory
Star: I Eat 'So
I Don't Have to Feel Anything'
Mar 16, 2021 11:03 AM CDT
Big Bang Theory
Star: I Eat 'So I Don't Have to Feel Anything'
Mayim Bialik talks about recovery, pressure to be thin
- Mayim Bialik is speaking up for the first time about a lengthy battle with eating disorders amid a conversation about Hollywood's obsession with weight. "This is the first time I've ever talked about it, because people are like, 'Well, why are you so overweight?' Well, because...
The Teen Was Hospitalized
for Anorexia. He's Male
Feb 13, 2021 1:30 PM CST
The Teen Was Hospitalized for Anorexia. He's Male
BuzzFeed takes us inside the world of male eating disorders
- "You have about an hour to pack, and we want you at the hospital by dinner." It wasn't what the California teen expected to hear from the doctor, dietitian, and psychotherapist who were talking to him. Ditto their diagnosis: atypical anorexia. In a lengthy piece for BuzzFeed...
Taylor Swift Makes Big Reveal
in New Documentary
Jan 24, 2020 7:23 AM CST
Taylor Swift Makes Big Reveal in New Documentary
In 'Miss Americana,' star says she had an eating disorder
- One of the most highly anticipated films debuting at the Sundance Film Festival was
, a Netflix documentary about Taylor Swift. The film premiered Thursday night, and one big headline emerged from it: Swift's revelation that she struggled with an eating disorder, triggered by comments about her appearance,...
Demi Lovato's Drug Addiction
Was Worse Than Anyone Knew
Oct 19, 2017 11:23 AM CDT
Demi Lovato's Drug Addiction Was Worse Than Anyone Knew
And more revelations from new documentary
- The depth of Demi Lovato's drug addiction becomes clear with the release of
, the second documentary about the singer. The first documentary about her, 2012's
, focused on her recovery after she went to rehab at 18 (for self-harming and an eating disorder, along with...
He Hits the Gym 360 Days
a Year and Can't Stop
Jun 6, 2017 12:03 PM CDT
He Hits the Gym 360 Days a Year and Can't Stop
Luke O'Neil writes of his 'exercise bulimia' in 'Esquire'
- You've heard of bulimia. But exercise bulimia? Thus the headline on Luke O'Neil's piece in
: "Most People Will Never Understand My Eating Disorder." Think of it this way: A person with bulimia feels the need to purge by vomiting. For those with exercise bulimia,...
Hosts Make Ill-Advised Eating Disorder Jokes
Nov 20, 2015 10:38 AM CST
Hosts Make Ill-Advised Eating Disorder Jokes
What's funnier, anorexia or bulimia?
- Eating disorders: not really a laughing matter, unless, apparently, you're a
panelist. During Thursday's show, the co-hosts discussed Donald Trump's recent weight loss (he says he lost 15 pounds because running for president is just too exciting and he never wants to eat ) and the...
A Growing Food Concern:
Obsession With 'Clean Eating'
Nov 7, 2015 3:00 PM CST
A Growing Food Concern: Obsession With 'Clean Eating'
Some want 'orthorexia' recognized as an eating disorder
- It's called "orthorexia"—an obsession with healthy, "clean eating"—and as it gains traction in this age of Instagrammed food photos, some think it should be recognized as its own eating disorder. "It's really a real fixation," one nutritionist tells NBC News...
Eater Might Be
Aug 3, 2015 10:16 AM CDT
Your Picky Eater Might Be Depressed
Moderate to severe fussy eaters show symptoms of anxiety, depression
- Think your child’s picky eating is just a phase? There might be more going on than what isn't meeting his or her mouth. In a new Duke University study, scientists who analyzed 917 children aged 2 to 6, then interviewed parents about kids' eating habits and signs of...
Young Woman 'Eats Herself
to Death' at Care Facility
Jul 13, 2015 1:16 PM CDT
Young Woman 'Eats Herself to Death' at Care Facility
Kirsty Derry had a rare disorder called Prader Willi Syndrome
- A young Englishwoman has died from overeating and may not have been properly treated for her unusual eating disorder, Fox News reports. Kirsty Derry lived at an assisted living home that had alarms on the fridge and cupboards to stop her from gorging. But the alarms were taken away in...
Tells Her Story
May 25, 2015 9:00 AM CDT
'40-Some Pound' Anorexic Woman Tells Her Story
Rachael Farrokh's goal: to help others, save herself
- Rachael Farrokh's 10-year struggle with anorexia has reached its breaking point—which is why the 37-year-old decided to tell her story to ABC News . "I want other anorexics to hear this," she says. "This is miserable. Everything hurts from my head down to my toes."...
Go to Jail
Apr 3, 2015 4:00 AM CDT
France: Glorify Anorexia, Go to Jail
New law cracks down on 'thinspiration' websites
- France is cracking down on websites that encourage young women to starve themselves. An amendment to a health bill passed yesterday punishes operators of pro-anorexia websites with up to a year in jail and an $11,000 fine, the
reports. The amendment calls for penalties for those who provoke...
Feb 1, 2014 10:40 AM CST
Stars Who've Had Eating Disorders
Elton John got help from his good friend ... Princess Di
- Not every Hollywood star who's struggled with an eating disorder has been female. Radar rounds up 11 male celebrities who've battled the problem. A sampling:
After losing 40 pounds to play the dying Doc Holliday in
, he started struggling with what he called "
Jan 4, 2014 8:02 AM CST
Ke$ha in Rehab for Eating Disorder
Singer, 26, checks in for 30 days
- Ke$ha has checked into a 30-day rehab clinic for an unspecified eating disorder, reports TMZ . The 26-year-old singer didn't divulge much in a statement: "I'm a crusader for being yourself and loving yourself, but I've found it hard to practice. I'll be unavailable for the...
Jun 24, 2013 7:46 AM CDT
Bulimia Killed Amy Winehouse: Brother
Alex Winehouse says eating disorder 'left her weaker and more susceptible'
- In his first full interview, Amy Winehouse's brother Alex reveals what he thinks really killed the singer: bulimia. She began suffering from the eating disorder in her late teens and was never able to free herself from it, he tells the
. "We all knew she was doing...
Apr 5, 2013 10:45 AM CDT
Amanda Bynes Reveals Secret Struggle
Says she has eating disorder, rants against gossip outlets on Twitter
- Gossip outlets have been publishing pictures of Amanda Bynes looking disheveled, not well, and all around odd. And her reactions haven't done much to combat the consensus that she's losing it. First she threatened to sue , then she claimed there's an Amanda Bynes lookalike running around New...
Oct 31, 2012 10:33 AM CDT
Kate Moss Dishes on Johnny Depp, Heroin
Also opens up about anorexia in 'Vanity Fair' interview
- Kate Moss really opens up in a new
interview, discussing all those years of “heroin chic” talk and anorexia rumors, her relationship with Johnny Depp, and more. Highlights:
On heroin chic:
“I had never even taken heroin—it was nothing to do with me at all.
Oct 7, 2012 9:28 AM CDT
12 Celebs Who Battled Eating Disorders
Two of them got down to just 70 pounds
- Katie Couric revealed last week that she struggled with bulimia in her early 20s—and sadly, she's far from the only celebrity to have battled an eating disorder. The Huffington Post rounds up a dozen:
: She once said that she had trouble adjusting to "a woman'
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
'Best for Everyone That They Move On'
He's 45, Spending Millions to Have an 18-Year-Old's Organs
3 Dead, 4 Hurt After Another California Mass Shooting
US General Tells Command to Prepare for War With China
As Police Kicked and Beat Him, He Kept Yelling Out One Thing
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.