Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Job Hunting? Here's the
Best Place in America for It
Nov 29, 2023 6:15 PM CST
Job Hunting? Here's the Best Place in America for It
Washington state ranks No. 1 in WalletHub's ranking of the best states for employment
- It can be grueling pounding the pavement in search of a new job, what with all of the resume prep, job board scouring, and interview processes. WalletHub wanted to see which parts of America were more job-hunter friendly, so it looked at nearly three dozen metrics in all 50 states,...
Mother of 6-Year-Old Who
Shot Teacher Gets Prison
Nov 15, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Mother of 6-Year-Old Who Shot Teacher Gets Prison
Boy said he took gun from her purse
- The mother of a 6-year-old boy who shot his teacher in Virginia was sentenced Wednesday to 21 months in prison for using marijuana while owning a firearm, which is prohibited by federal law. Deja Taylor's son took her handgun to school and shot Abby Zwerner in her first-grade classroom...
Nov 13, 2023 7:51 AM CST
The Race to Replace Youngkin Gets Going
Democrat Spanberger won't run for House reelection, will try to win Virginia governor race in 2025
- Democratic Rep. Abigail Spanberger won a close reelection race in Virginia last year that was widely seen as a bellwether contest with national implications. The 44-year-old, however, won't try to win a fourth term next year—on Monday, the former CIA officer announced in a video that she will...
of HQ Site Is
a Little Fishy
Nov 10, 2023 12:38 PM CST
FBI Chief: Selection of HQ Site Is a Little Fishy
Christopher Wray suggests person who made the final call had a conflict of interest
- The FBI is finally getting a new HQ, though a contentious debate is raging over the site selection announced this week . FBI Director Christopher Wray said Thursday that he was concerned about a "potential conflict of interest" in the General Services Administration's selection of Greenbelt, Maryland, a Washington...
Big Wins Give Democrats
a 'Blueprint' for 2024
Nov 8, 2023 6:49 AM CST
Big Wins Give Democrats a 'Blueprint' for 2024
Voters back abortion access, appear wary of Trump-backed candidates
- Nearly a year and a half after the Supreme Court overturned Roe v. Wade, abortion remains a key issue in elections across the country—to the benefit of Democrats, who've made protecting abortion rights a priority. A major takeaway from Tuesday's elections is that "voters are casting...
Virginia Results a 'Blow' to
GOP Gov. Glenn Youngkin
Nov 7, 2023 11:36 PM CST
Virginia Results a 'Blow' to GOP Gov. Glenn Youngkin
Democrats will keep control of the state Senate, and also flip state House
- In what's being painted as a major "blow" to Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin, a Republican, Democrats on Tuesday managed to not only retain control of the state Senate but also flip the House of Delegates. The GOP had hoped to do the opposite—flip the state Senate and...
US Park Police Officer
Charged With Shooting
Nov 6, 2023 4:08 PM CST
US Park Police Officer Charged With Shooting
Alcohol is believed to be a factor in accidental shooting of colleague, investigators say
- A gathering of four people, including three US Park Police officers, ended with one of the off-duty officers dead and another in custody early Sunday. The Fairfax County Police Department says officers were called to an apartment in McLean, Virginia, around 12:20am by a person who said somebody had...
Abortion a Big Issue
in Tuesday's Voting
Nov 6, 2023 11:00 AM CST
Abortion a Big Issue in Tuesday's Voting
Restrictions, protections are front and center in Ohio, Kentucky, and Virginia
- The most-watched races in Tuesday's off-year general election have been dominated by the ongoing debate over abortion rights. From a reelection bid for governor in Kentucky and a statewide ballot measure in Ohio, to state legislative elections in Virginia, access to abortion has been a frequent topic in campaign...
Months Later, Au Pair
Charged in Strange
Virginia Murder Case
Oct 23, 2023 2:30 AM CDT
Months Later, Au Pair Charged in Strange Virginia Murder Case
The woman, who is from Brazil, was only charged with one of the murders
- Around 8am on February 24, a woman called police in Fairfax County, Virginia, to report that a woman, whom she referred to as a friend of hers, was hurt. A man then got on the phone and said he had shot an unknown male who had entered his home. When...
If Candidate Wins, He
Promises an AR-15 Giveaway
Oct 19, 2023 6:00 PM CDT
If Candidate Wins, He Promises an AR-15 Giveaway
Dave LaRock kicks off his Virginia write-in campaign with a promise
- If a Republican candidate for the Virginia Senate wins his write-in campaign, he wants to thank voters in his own way: with an AR-15 rifle. Dave LaRock, who's a member of the House of Delegates now, announced the offer in an email to voters last week, the
A Woman Makes a Little
College Football History
Sep 25, 2023 12:39 PM CDT
A Woman Makes a Little College Football History
Haley Van Voorhis, safety for Shenandoah University, is the first female non-kicker to suit up
- Haley Van Voorhis is a college student majoring in business and, save for one thing, just a typical woman at Virginia's Shenandoah University: The 5-foot-6, 145-pound junior took the field on Saturday as a safety, and in so doing became the NCAA's first-ever football player to do so...
on North Carolina
Sep 23, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Ophelia Lands on North Carolina
Tropical storm made landfall Saturday, with high winds, flooding expected there, Virginia, Maryland
- Tropical Storm Ophelia made landfall on the North Carolina coast early Saturday, and it's expected to bring damaging winds and dangerous surges of water, the US National Hurricane Center said, per the AP . The storm touched down near Emerald Isle at around 6:20am ET, with maximum sustained winds...
Congresswoman Will Retire
After Diagnosis Worsens
Sep 18, 2023 10:30 AM CDT
Congresswoman Will Retire After Diagnosis Worsens
Democrat Jennifer Wexton of Virginia has 'Parkinson's on steroids'
- When congresswoman Jennifer Wexton of Virginia revealed that she had Parkinson's earlier this year, the 55-year-old said she planned to continue serving in Congress for years to come. On Monday, however, the Democrat announced that while she'll serve out her current term, she won't seek reelection because...
Virginia Candidate on
Sex Videos: I Won't Be Silenced
Sep 12, 2023 9:18 AM CDT
Virginia Candidate on Sex Videos: I Won't Be Silenced
Democrat Susanna Gibson outed for online sex videos with her husband, and she's fighting back
- In Virginia, a state race that will help determine which party controls the legislature has taken an unexpected—and personal—turn. An unnamed Republican operative revealed to the
that Democratic candidate Susanna Gibson has been performing sex acts with her husband on a site called Chaturbate. The
Woman Accused of Sexually
Abusing Her Son's Twin Friends
Sep 4, 2023 2:46 AM CDT
Woman Accused of Sexually Abusing Her Son's Twin Friends
Police say she had a relationship with one of them for 8 months
- A 37-year-old Virginia woman is accused of sexually abusing the underage twin brothers who lived across the street from her over an eight-month period. Ashleigh Watts was arrested following an anonymous tip and faces three counts of indecency with a minor, WAVY reports. The 15-year-old boys were friends with Watts'...
Drivers in This State Are
the Most Confrontational
Sep 3, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
Drivers in This State Are the Most Confrontational
Arizona tops Forbes Advisor's list of those with the most road rage
- Road rage: Most of us have dealt with it, in one form or another. Those different forms—cutting people off, not letting others change lanes, honking the horn, and flipping the bird, just to name a few—are what Forbes Advisor included in its attempt to determine which states have...
Give a High-Five to Our
Aug 28, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Give a High-Five to Our Hardest-Working State
North Dakota comes in at No. 1 on WalletHub's rankings, while New Mexico brings up the rear
- Compared to workers in other countries, Americans are known for balking at taking too much vacation time, either because their employer doesn't offer that many paid days off or because workers feel they can't miss too many days without negative repercussions. The positive side of that coin is...
Cops: Robbery Suspect
Went to Store With 3 Parrots
Aug 26, 2023 9:22 AM CDT
Cops: Robbery Suspect Went to Store With 3 Parrots
They're trying to track down Virginia 'bird bandit'
- Police in Fairfax County, Virginia are calling him the "Bird Bandit." Police say the suspect displayed a knife and robbed somebody of an undisclosed amount of money at a McDonald's in the Seven Corners area on Tuesday morning, the
reports. The suspect is described as...
Mom of 6-Year-Old Who
Shot Teacher Pleads Guilty
Aug 15, 2023 12:55 PM CDT
Mom of 6-Year-Old Who Shot Teacher Pleads Guilty
Deja Taylor admits carelessly storing gun her child used in the shooting
- Another guilty plea from the mother of a 6-year-old boy who shot his schoolteacher : Deja Taylor, 26, pleaded guilty to child neglect Tuesday, reports the
. Taylor admitted that she owned the gun used in the shooting and that she stored it in a place accessible to her son—...
Here Are the 10 Best,
Worst States to Live In
Aug 14, 2023 3:17 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst States to Live In
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list; New Mexico comes in last
- Whether you're looking to relocate or just nosy about how your state ranks, WalletHub has a new analysis out on America's ideal places to live. The site looked at all 50 states across more than four dozen metrics, in five main categories: affordability; economy, including a state's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.