Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Grizzlies May Thrive at
National Park Once Again
Nov 12, 2023 1:25 PM CST
Grizzlies May Thrive at National Park Once Again
But some groups oppose plans to repopulate the North Cascades
- Washington state's North Cascades National Park was once home to grizzly bears, until hunting them for hides wiped out the entire population. Federal agencies have now drafted a plan to reintroduce them to that land, according to the
, but not everyone is happy about it. The plan...
After Decade Without Fatal Bear
Attacks, a Chilling Shift in Japan
Nov 9, 2023 5:05 PM CST
After Decade Without Fatal Bear Attacks, a Chilling Shift in Japan
College student among at least 5 people thought to have been killed by bears this year
- Prior to this year, no fatal bear attacks were reported in Japan for more than a decade. Now, police in the country are investigating what's thought to be at least the fifth such attack of 2023. Police on the northern Hokkaido island, where brown bears roam, say the body...
8 Miles of Parkway Closed Due
to People Bothering a Bear
Nov 1, 2023 9:54 AM CDT
8 Miles of Parkway Closed Due to People Bothering a Bear
Blue Ridge Parkway section in North Carolina shut down after visitors' interactions with young bear
- An 8-mile stretch of the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina has been shuttered for the indefinite future, after visitors were spotted giving food to and trying to hold a juvenile bear. In a release cited by WXII , the National Park Service says that officials have closed down the part...
Shutdown Could Hit
Fat Bear Week
Sep 29, 2023 4:05 PM CDT
Shutdown Could Hit Fat Bear Week
Voting will continue, but National Park Service won't be able to provide updates
- If a government shutdown happens, it could lead to not only furloughed workers and shuttered national parks, but it might mess up a popular contest for wildlife lovers, reports ABC News . If continued funding for the government isn't approved by midnight on Saturday, the National Park Service won't...
Hokkaido's Bears Are
Starving Amid Fish Shortage
Sep 27, 2023 6:45 PM CDT
Hokkaido's Bears Are Starving Amid Fish Shortage
Up to 80% of brown bear cubs in one area have died
- This is the time of year when brown bears in Japan's northernmost island usually feast on salmon, packing on weight to prepare for hibernation. But this year, salmon numbers are very low and bears on Hokkaido's Shiretoko Peninsula are starving. Last week, people on a tour boat captured...
Krispy Kreme Delivery Van
Gets Some Surprise Raiders
Sep 19, 2023 7:54 AM CDT
Krispy Kreme Delivery Van Gets Some Surprise Raiders
Mama bear and cub bust into vehicle outside military base in Anchorage for some doughnuts
- A mama bear and her cub went a little
on some doughnuts in Anchorage last week. Candice Sergeant, the manager of a Krispy Kreme store in the Alaskan city's Muldoon neighborhood, tells CBS Chicago that she was working her shift last Tuesday when she got an "...
Faces Influx of Bears
Aug 30, 2023 2:35 PM CDT
Evacuated City Faces Influx of Bears
Wildlife officials believe wildfires pushed black bears into Yellowknife
- Yellowknife, the capital of Canada's Northwest Territories, was evacuated earlier this month as a huge wildfire neared the city, but emergency workers stayed behind —and they have been joined by bears. The animals, apparently attracted by the smell of garbage left behind when residents rushed to leave, have...
This Is What You Don't
Want on the Golf Course
Aug 10, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
This Is What You Don't Want on the Golf Course
Canadian golfer suffers an ursine-related theft caught on video
- Sometimes a guy just wants to play a relaxing round of golf with his buddies. And sometimes a bear just wants to get his mitts on some of said guy's golf clubs. The two worlds collided in what
somewhat dramatically calls the "wildest, scariest horror film...
4 Furry Suspects
in Tahoe Mayhem
Aug 7, 2023 9:15 AM CDT
Authorities Bust 4 Furry Suspects in Tahoe Mayhem
'Hank the Tank' and her youngsters have been captured in California after string of break-ins
- California authorities have captured four suspects in multiple break-ins at homes around South Lake Tahoe, and they're not who you might think: a mama bear and three of her cubs. DNA has confirmed the large female black bear and her three little accomplices were responsible for at least 21...
Man on Bear
One Way Out
'Was Through Me'
Aug 5, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Man on Bear Encounter: Its One Way Out 'Was Through Me'
Pennsylvania's John Swartz is OK after bear hiding in his garage bit him on the head
- A Pennsylvania man says he's paying a lot more attention to his surroundings after a surprise attack by a bear in the garage of his home. John Swartz, 60, and his wife Lori, 59, were watching TV at their home outside Danville on the evening of July 27 when...
Decides to Cool Off
Jul 31, 2023 2:48 PM CDT
California Bear Decides to Cool Off
Burbank cops get called to respond to a bear chilling in a swimming pool
- Apparently, recalcitrant teenagers sneaking out after dark aren't the only pool-hoppers. In something of an answer to "how hot is it?," it was unbearable enough for a California black bear to break into a Burbank home and have himself a dip in the pool, reports CNN . With...
in the Nose
Jul 3, 2023 12:57 AM CDT
Maine Woman Punches Bear in the Nose
64-year-old was treated for puncture wounds after bear chased her dog
- Maine woman Lynn Kelly was working in her garden Friday morning when her dog began barking before running off into the woods. Kelly, 64, went to see what was going on, and as the frightened dog ran back out of the woods, a bear was following close behind. "The...
Bear Shows Why It's Not
Wise to Leave Dog Food in Car
Jun 8, 2023 1:45 PM CDT
Bear Shows Why It's Not Wise to Leave Dog Food in Car
Animal got stuck inside vehicle in Colorado, but was eventually set free
- An unlocked vehicle is not a safe place to store food, Colorado wildlife officials warned in sharing a video of a bear that sniffed out dog food inside a pickup truck, went in after it, then locked itself inside. In a cellphone video , a Colorado Parks and Wildlife officer revealed...
May 27, 2023 6:30 AM CDT
Bear Busts Into Bakery, Scarfs Down 60 Cupcakes
Bakery owner heard worker 'screaming bloody murder,' then walked in to quite a scene
- A hungry black bear barged into the garage of a Connecticut bakery, scared several employees, and helped itself to 60 cupcakes before ambling away. Workers at Taste by Spellbound in the town of Avon were loading cakes into a van for delivery on Wednesday when the bear showed up, per...
Hunter Could Get Jail Time
Over Alleged IDing Error
May 16, 2023 3:00 PM CDT
Hunter Could Get Jail Time Over Alleged IDing Error
Wyoming's Patrick Gogerty claims he mistook the protected grizzly for a black bear, shot it dead
- A Wyoming man is facing up to a year in jail after allegedly killing a protected grizzly bear near Yellowstone National Park. Patrick Gogerty of Cody claims he mistook the 530-pound male grizzly for a black bear, the largest of which generally weigh up to 700 pounds, per the AP...
School Principal Runs From
May 2, 2023 4:10 PM CDT
School Principal Runs From Dumpster-Diving Bear
The administrator was trying to lock the dumpster to keep the bear out
- A West Virginia school principal had an unexpected encounter with a bear that popped out of a dumpster, reports Fox 5 DC . Principal James Marsh of Zela Elementary spotted a bear on school grounds and went to lock the dumpster to keep it out. Instead, he found himself sprinting away...
This Is How We Know
Bears Don't Like Diet Soda
Apr 19, 2023 7:52 AM CDT
This Is How We Know Bears Don't Like Diet Soda
At least this black bear in BC, who downed 69 cans of regular from woman's car but not the diet version
- Diet soda isn't for everyone, and now we can add bears to that list—or at least this particular one in Canada, who broke into a resident's vehicle and quaffed 69 cans of regular pop before calling it a night. Per the CBC , Sharon Rosel of Earls Cove,...
Bear That Killed Italian Runner
Sees Its Execution Stayed
Apr 14, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Bear That Killed Italian Runner Sees Its Execution Stayed
Bear JJ4 mauled a jogger to death in a nature reserve
- After 26-year-old runner Andrea Papi was mauled by a bear named JJ4 in a Trentino, Italy, nature preserve, Papi's mother released a letter through her attorney, reports Italian publication Today . "As a mother," Franca Ghirardini wrote, "I can't accept such a horrible death." But,...
Now a Vending Machine
Thing: Bear Meat
Apr 3, 2023 2:13 PM CDT
Now a Vending Machine Thing: Bear Meat
Japan does it again
- Japan, the country that brought you whale meat in a vending machine , has a popular new flavor of vending machine meat, and there's a certain four-legged segment of the wild population that's not going to be happy to hear it: bears. That's right, for the bargain price...
Feb 25, 2023 11:30 AM CST
This Bear Really Wants Out of the Zoo
Ben recaptured after 2nd escape from St. Louis Zoo this month
- St. Louis Zoo officials say they're working to find a way to keep an Andean bear named Ben inside his enclosure after he escaped Thursday for the second time this month. The bear was outside for less than an hour and was found only about 100 feet away from...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
He Had Headaches for Months. Doctors Made a Surprising Find
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Spotify Staffers Walk Into Bad News on Monday
GOP Race Sees Another Contender Drop Out
Liz Cheney Recounts 4 Words From Her Father
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.