Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
As Knifeman Began Stabbing
Kids, Backpacker Stepped in
Jun 9, 2023 11:04 AM CDT
As Knifeman Began Stabbing Kids, Backpacker Stepped in
France's Henri d'Anselme says he was 'guided by providence' to intervene in stabbing attack
- A man on a year-long walking tour of France's cathedrals says he was meant to be in an Annecy park on Thursday as an assailant began stabbing children . Henri d'Anselme, 24, of Paris has been dubbed "the backpack hero" after he intervened in Thursday's attack that...
Scene on California
Road Turns Tragic
May 22, 2023 8:03 AM CDT
Heartwarming Scene on California Road Turns Tragic
Man helping ducks across street in Rocklin is fatally struck by car
- A man with a soft heart for animals was killed on a California street last week while trying to help some out. Witnesses say the unidentified victim got out of his car in a Rocklin intersection around 8:30pm Thursday and safely ushered a family of baby ducks trying to...
Man Goes on Job Interview,
Caps It Off by Saving a Baby
May 10, 2023 9:25 AM CDT
Man Goes on Job Interview, Caps It Off by Saving a Baby
Good Samaritan Ron Nessman jumped into action to save little boy in Hesperia, California
- Ron Nessman used to be a big-rig driver—until his girlfriend died, sending him into a spiral of depression and homelessness that's lasted eight years. However, for the past three months, Nessman has been living with his sister in California's San Bernardino County, trying to get back on...
Her Fake Feel-Good Story
Just Went Even More South
Jan 7, 2023 11:30 AM CST
Her Fake Feel-Good Story Just Went Even More South
Katelyn McClure gets 3 more years in jail in case involving fake $400K fundraiser for homeless man
- A New Jersey woman who pleaded guilty to helping her boyfriend spread a feel-good story about a homeless veteran that garnered more than $400,000 in online donations has been sentenced to three years in prison on state theft charges. Burlington County prosecutors say Katelyn McClure, 32, wasn't present...
Escapes Potential Danger
Nov 18, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Quick-Thinking 10-Year-Old Escapes Potential Danger
Pennsylvania's Sammy Green, followed by stranger, asked store clerk to pose as mom
- A 10-year-old boy and 17-year-old girl in Pennsylvania are getting praise for quick thinking that thwarted a potentially dangerous situation. Sammy Green says he was walking home from school in Pottstown on Nov. 11 when he noticed a stranger following him for several blocks. The woman then began asking questions,...
Capes. They Wear
Sep 15, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Some Heroes Don't Wear Capes. They Wear Chick-fil-A Uniforms
Mykel Gordon praised for helping woman with baby during alleged carjacking in Okaloosa County, Fla.
- A fast-food employee saved the day this week during a terrifying alleged carjacking attempt in Florida. Per a release from the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office, a woman was getting her baby out of her car Wednesday in the parking lot of a Chick-fil-A in Fort Walton Beach when she...
Police Thank 'Good Samaritan'
for Stopping Mall Shooting
Jul 18, 2022 6:15 AM CDT
Police Thank 'Good Samaritan' for Stopping Mall Shooting
Armed citizen stepped in, killed gunman, who'd already killed 3, injured 2 at Greenwood Park Mall
- Authorities are expressing their gratitude to an armed bystander after he shot and killed a gunman who opened fire in a shopping mall food court in Indiana. The mass shooting took place Sunday evening at Greenwood Park Mall in Greenwood, leaving three dead and two injured, including a 12-year-old girl...
She Hit the Wrong Pedal,
but a Teen Saved Her Life
Jun 16, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
She Hit the Wrong Pedal, but a Teen Saved Her Life
Anthony Zhongor, 17, rescued Mia Samolinski, 18, from Long Island's Patchogue Bay
- A scary moment led to a heroic one this week at Long Island's Patchogue Bay. A 17-year-old named Anthony Zhongor rescued 18-year-old Mia Samolinski after she hit the gas instead of the brake on her SUV and plunged into the bay from a parking lot, reports NBC News . The...
Facing Eviction, Woman Gets
Surprise From Her Neighbors
Jun 13, 2022 3:54 PM CDT
Facing Eviction, Woman Gets Surprise From Her Neighbors
They rally to buy her home in Minneapolis for her
- A 70-year-old woman facing eviction from her longtime residence in Minneapolis not only gets to stay—she now owns the house outright. The
have the remarkable story of Linda Taylor, whose landlord gave her a two-month ultimatum last year year: She could buy the home...
You Find $36K Inside
Free Couch. Now What?
in case you missed it
Jun 5, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
You Find $36K Inside Free Couch. Now What?
Vicky Umodu of California immediately returned the money
- California's Vicky Umodu has provided everyone with an ethical yardstick: She found $36,000 in cash hidden in a couch she picked up for free on Craigslist—and immediately returned the money, reports
. As it turns out, nobody would have been the wiser had she quietly kept the...
The Car Started
Came the Good
May 12, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
The Car Started Rolling. Then Came the Good Samaritans
Florida woman OK after she suffered medical emergency in busy Boynton Beach intersection
- A Florida woman who suffered a medical emergency last week while behind the wheel is safe, thanks to a bunch of Good Samaritans who jumped out of their own vehicles to help her. WPBF reports the incident took place May 5 at a busy intersection in Boynton Beach, and the...
6 Sweet Words
to College Grads:
'You No Longer
Have a Balance'
May 9, 2022 11:39 AM CDT
6 Sweet Words to College Grads: 'You No Longer Have a Balance'
Donor pays off debt of Class of 2022 at Wiley College in Texas
- As far as messages to graduating college seniors go, it's tough to beat. Wiley College President Herman Felton informed more than 100 grads of his school on Saturday that an anonymous donor had paid off their student debt, reports the Root . "If you have a balance, you
Subway Shooting Suspect
Indicted on 2 Counts
May 7, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Subway Shooting Suspect Indicted on 2 Counts
Each could bring a sentence of life in prison for Frank James
: The man being held in the shooting attack on a New York City subway train last month that wounded 10 people has been indicted. A federal grand jury charged Frank James on Friday with committing a terrorist attack or other violence against a mass transportation system and discharging a...
Actor Jena Malone:
'The Dog Was Going to Die'
Apr 7, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Actor Jena Malone: 'The Dog Was Going to Die'
She was part of group that chased down animal abuser
- Actor Jena Malone jumped into action to save a dog on Tuesday—and not as part of any film scene. Malone—who has appeared in major releases including
The Hunger Games
Pride & Prejudice
— opened up on Twitter about how she chased down a man she'd...
Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Jan 11, 2022 8:07 AM CST
Eagle-Eyed Neighbor Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Dusti Talavera, 23, happened to see children fall through ice on pond in Denver
- A classic winter scene of kids playing on an icy pond turned frightening in Denver over the weekend, but thanks to an observant neighbor, a major tragedy was averted. KDVR reports that four children, reportedly related, were playing on said pond near an apartment complex when the ice gave way...
No Charges for Cop Who
Killed 'Good Samaritan'
Nov 9, 2021 6:17 AM CST
No Charges for Cop Who Killed 'Good Samaritan'
Johnny Hurley stopped a cop killer before dying at the hands of another cop
There won't be any charges filed against the Colorado police officer who killed Johnny Hurley in June. Hurley had managed to stop active shooter Ronald Troyke moments after Troyke killed a cop by shooting him dead; he had Troyke's rifle in hand when Arvada Officer Kraig Brownlow...
Won Gold Thanks
Got Him to the Race
Aug 12, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Hurdler Who Won Gold Thanks Volunteer Who Got Him to the Race
Hansle Parchment almost missed his chance at Olympic medal after he went to wrong venue
- If your mother always told you give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, or to your Olympic 110-meter hurdling competition, we hope you've listened. Hansle Parchment will likely leave the house way early from now on, after the Jamaican hurdler almost missed his chance to compete...
After 9-Year-Old Loses Family,
Detectives Chip In
Jun 15, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
After 9-Year-Old Loses Family, Detectives Chip In
Brooklyn girl who hid in closet during triple murder is getting a trip to Disney World
- It's one small grace note after a hard-to-fathom tragedy. Brooklyn detectives have chipped in to send a 9-year-old girl who lost her family in a triple homicide to Disney World, reports the
New York Post
. The murders made national headlines in April because the girl hid in a closet...
in case you missed it
May 30, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Couple Hides Cash in Baby Products
New parents in some Target stores in California got a surprise
- A bleary-eyed new parent picking up diapers or some other baby product at Target stores in the Los Angeles area might have found an unusual surprise back home: a little extra cash. KABC reports that Krystal and Patrick Duhaney played Good Samaritans by tucking a total of about $1,000...
Thief Steals Van of Dogs,
Portland Says Not So Fast
Feb 4, 2021 11:47 AM CST
Thief Steals Van of Dogs, Portland Says Not So Fast
Helpers from around the Oregon city helped doggy day care owner get her pooches back
- A woman who co-owns a doggy day care in Portland, Ore., had quite a scare Tuesday, but thanks to the efforts of locals, a thief who tried to steal her pooch-filled vehicle wasn't successful. Sunni Liston—whose company, Coopers Dogpatch, picks up dogs from their owners in the city...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
She Ditched Broadway Dreams, Became Flo From Progressive
America's Avocado Habit Is Wreaking Havoc in Mexico
Appeals Court Delivers Its Decision to Jussie Smollett
Ecologists Want People to 'Adopt' These 'Water Monsters'
Police Raid Moscow Gay Bars After Anti-LGBTQ+ Ruling
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.