Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Escapes Potential Danger
Nov 18, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Quick-Thinking 10-Year-Old Escapes Potential Danger
Pennsylvania's Sammy Green, followed by stranger, asked store clerk to pose as mom
- A 10-year-old boy and 17-year-old girl in Pennsylvania are getting praise for quick thinking that thwarted a potentially dangerous situation. Sammy Green says he was walking home from school in Pottstown on Nov. 11 when he noticed a stranger following him for several blocks. The woman then began asking questions,...
Capes. They Wear
Sep 15, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Some Heroes Don't Wear Capes. They Wear Chick-fil-A Uniforms
Mykel Gordon praised for helping woman with baby during alleged carjacking in Okaloosa County, Fla.
- A fast-food employee saved the day this week during a terrifying alleged carjacking attempt in Florida. Per a release from the Okaloosa County Sheriff's Office, a woman was getting her baby out of her car Wednesday in the parking lot of a Chick-fil-A in Fort Walton Beach when she...
Police Thank 'Good Samaritan'
for Stopping Mall Shooting
Jul 18, 2022 6:15 AM CDT
Police Thank 'Good Samaritan' for Stopping Mall Shooting
Armed citizen stepped in, killed gunman, who'd already killed 3, injured 2 at Greenwood Park Mall
- Authorities are expressing their gratitude to an armed bystander after he shot and killed a gunman who opened fire in a shopping mall food court in Indiana. The mass shooting took place Sunday evening at Greenwood Park Mall in Greenwood, leaving three dead and two injured, including a 12-year-old girl...
She Hit the Wrong Pedal,
but a Teen Saved Her Life
Jun 16, 2022 10:20 AM CDT
She Hit the Wrong Pedal, but a Teen Saved Her Life
Anthony Zhongor, 17, rescued Mia Samolinski, 18, from Long Island's Patchogue Bay
- A scary moment led to a heroic one this week at Long Island's Patchogue Bay. A 17-year-old named Anthony Zhongor rescued 18-year-old Mia Samolinski after she hit the gas instead of the brake on her SUV and plunged into the bay from a parking lot, reports NBC News . The...
Facing Eviction, Woman Gets
Surprise From Her Neighbors
Jun 13, 2022 3:54 PM CDT
Facing Eviction, Woman Gets Surprise From Her Neighbors
They rally to buy her home in Minneapolis for her
- A 70-year-old woman facing eviction from her longtime residence in Minneapolis not only gets to stay—she now owns the house outright. The
have the remarkable story of Linda Taylor, whose landlord gave her a two-month ultimatum last year year: She could buy the home...
You Find $36K Inside
Free Couch. Now What?
in case you missed it
Jun 5, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
You Find $36K Inside Free Couch. Now What?
Vicky Umodu of California immediately returned the money
- California's Vicky Umodu has provided everyone with an ethical yardstick: She found $36,000 in cash hidden in a couch she picked up for free on Craigslist—and immediately returned the money, reports
. As it turns out, nobody would have been the wiser had she quietly kept the...
The Car Started
Came the Good
May 12, 2022 9:25 AM CDT
The Car Started Rolling. Then Came the Good Samaritans
Florida woman OK after she suffered medical emergency in busy Boynton Beach intersection
- A Florida woman who suffered a medical emergency last week while behind the wheel is safe, thanks to a bunch of Good Samaritans who jumped out of their own vehicles to help her. WPBF reports the incident took place May 5 at a busy intersection in Boynton Beach, and the...
6 Sweet Words
to College Grads:
'You No Longer
Have a Balance'
May 9, 2022 11:39 AM CDT
6 Sweet Words to College Grads: 'You No Longer Have a Balance'
Donor pays off debt of Class of 2022 at Wiley College in Texas
- As far as messages to graduating college seniors go, it's tough to beat. Wiley College President Herman Felton informed more than 100 grads of his school on Saturday that an anonymous donor had paid off their student debt, reports the Root . "If you have a balance, you
Subway Shooting Suspect
Indicted on 2 Counts
May 7, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Subway Shooting Suspect Indicted on 2 Counts
Each could bring a sentence of life in prison for Frank James
: The man being held in the shooting attack on a New York City subway train last month that wounded 10 people has been indicted. A federal grand jury charged Frank James on Friday with committing a terrorist attack or other violence against a mass transportation system and discharging a...
Actor Jena Malone:
'The Dog Was Going to Die'
Apr 7, 2022 2:05 PM CDT
Actor Jena Malone: 'The Dog Was Going to Die'
She was part of group that chased down animal abuser
- Actor Jena Malone jumped into action to save a dog on Tuesday—and not as part of any film scene. Malone—who has appeared in major releases including
The Hunger Games
Pride & Prejudice
— opened up on Twitter about how she chased down a man she'd...
Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Jan 11, 2022 8:07 AM CST
Eagle-Eyed Neighbor Saves 3 Kids From Icy Horror
Dusti Talavera, 23, happened to see children fall through ice on pond in Denver
- A classic winter scene of kids playing on an icy pond turned frightening in Denver over the weekend, but thanks to an observant neighbor, a major tragedy was averted. KDVR reports that four children, reportedly related, were playing on said pond near an apartment complex when the ice gave way...
No Charges for Cop Who
Killed 'Good Samaritan'
Nov 9, 2021 6:17 AM CST
No Charges for Cop Who Killed 'Good Samaritan'
Johnny Hurley stopped a cop killer before dying at the hands of another cop
There won't be any charges filed against the Colorado police officer who killed Johnny Hurley in June. Hurley had managed to stop active shooter Ronald Troyke moments after Troyke killed a cop by shooting him dead; he had Troyke's rifle in hand when Arvada Officer Kraig Brownlow...
Won Gold Thanks
Got Him to the Race
Aug 12, 2021 8:54 AM CDT
Hurdler Who Won Gold Thanks Volunteer Who Got Him to the Race
Hansle Parchment almost missed his chance at Olympic medal after he went to wrong venue
- If your mother always told you give yourself plenty of time to get to the airport, or to your Olympic 110-meter hurdling competition, we hope you've listened. Hansle Parchment will likely leave the house way early from now on, after the Jamaican hurdler almost missed his chance to compete...
After 9-Year-Old Loses Family,
Detectives Chip In
Jun 15, 2021 2:20 PM CDT
After 9-Year-Old Loses Family, Detectives Chip In
Brooklyn girl who hid in closet during triple murder is getting a trip to Disney World
- It's one small grace note after a hard-to-fathom tragedy. Brooklyn detectives have chipped in to send a 9-year-old girl who lost her family in a triple homicide to Disney World, reports the
New York Post
. The murders made national headlines in April because the girl hid in a closet...
in case you missed it
May 30, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Couple Hides Cash in Baby Products
New parents in some Target stores in California got a surprise
- A bleary-eyed new parent picking up diapers or some other baby product at Target stores in the Los Angeles area might have found an unusual surprise back home: a little extra cash. KABC reports that Krystal and Patrick Duhaney played Good Samaritans by tucking a total of about $1,000...
Thief Steals Van of Dogs,
Portland Says Not So Fast
Feb 4, 2021 11:47 AM CST
Thief Steals Van of Dogs, Portland Says Not So Fast
Helpers from around the Oregon city helped doggy day care owner get her pooches back
- A woman who co-owns a doggy day care in Portland, Ore., had quite a scare Tuesday, but thanks to the efforts of locals, a thief who tried to steal her pooch-filled vehicle wasn't successful. Sunni Liston—whose company, Coopers Dogpatch, picks up dogs from their owners in the city...
Beloved Pet Escapes,
Very, Very Slowly
Aug 24, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
Beloved Pet Escapes, Very, Very Slowly
Big tortoise found about a mile away after 74 days
- A 150-pound tortoise that escaped from a Tennessee home has been returned after 74 days, managing to make it about a mile during his slow and steady journey, per the AP . The African sulcata tortoise named Solomon crawled away from his Ashland City enclosure more than two months ago, his...
Guy Dives Into Burning
Car to Save Stranger
Aug 1, 2020 11:00 AM CDT
Guy Dives Into Burning Car to Save Stranger
Antonio Morgan saw the car hit a cement median
- A Good Samaritan made headlines this week by rescuing a man from his burning car on the I-70 in St. Louis,
reports. Antonio Morgan saw the car hit the highway's cement median Tuesday and rushed to pull the driver out as flames erupted under the hood. "I...
Shares a 'Little
Secret' on His
Jun 6, 2020 8:15 AM CDT
Prince William Shares a 'Little Secret' on His Lockdown Activities
The Duke of Cambridge has secretly been volunteering for a mental crisis hotline
- It's hard to imagine what royal family members do during lockdown, but Britain's Prince William just filled us in on one of his activities. Per CNN , the Duke of Cambridge, along with wife Kate Middleton, brother Harry, and Harry's wife, Meghan Markle, helped start Shout, the UK'...
Keeps Cafe Afloat
Jun 5, 2020 2:20 PM CDT
Generous Customer Keeps Cafe Afloat
Good Samaritan doled out $40K in Naples, Florida
- The first gesture was kind: A customer gave cafe owner Bill Salley $2,000 for himself and his four employees in March when they had to shut down in March because of the coronavirus. The second gesture may have actually saved Salley's business in Naples, Florida, reports WINK . The...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Cancer That Kirstie Alley Battled Is Specified
Family of Woman Beheaded by Utah Park Gate Wants $140M
Trump Organization Found Guilty of Tax Fraud
Trump Hid a Big Loan While President: Forbes
Here's How Things Look Ahead of Georgia's Runoff
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.