Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Keeps Cafe Afloat
Jun 5, 2020 2:20 PM CDT
Generous Customer Keeps Cafe Afloat
Good Samaritan doled out $40K in Naples, Florida
- The first gesture was kind: A customer gave cafe owner Bill Salley $2,000 for himself and his four employees in March when they had to shut down in March because of the coronavirus. The second gesture may have actually saved Salley's business in Naples, Florida, reports WINK . The...
Denzel Guides Police
as They Frisk Black Man
May 30, 2020 4:15 PM CDT
Denzel Guides Police as They Frisk Black Man
The actor is praised for stepping in to help a homeless man
- Social media is applauding Denzel Washington for helping out a homeless man in Los Angeles—an encounter that (as people are pointing out) ended much differently than the arrest of George Floyd. Seems the Hollywood icon saw the man wandering out on La Cienega Blvd. and pulled over, then chatted...
Amid Virus Mask Shortage,
Americans Step Up
Mar 24, 2020 7:51 AM CDT
Amid Virus Mask Shortage, Americans Step Up
Volunteers across nation are setting up sewing machines to get masks to health care workers
- An interior decorator. A guy who waterproofs basements. A fashion designer. These are just a few of the Good Samaritans around the country who are sitting behind their sewing machines to churn out face masks for health care workers amid the coronavirus pandemic. As more and more patients are diagnosed...
A New Term Emerges
to Describe Kind COVID Acts
Mar 17, 2020 10:40 AM CDT
A New Term Emerges to Describe Kind COVID Acts
'Caremongering,' the opposite of 'scaremongering'
- The coronavirus news can be depressing stuff, but a spate of stories is emerging as a counterpoint—strangers helping strangers, particularly the most vulnerable. In fact, the term "caremongering" is catching on to describe what's going on. Some examples:
In Bend, Ore., 25-year-old Rebecca Mehra tweeted
He Got Away
From the Cops,
But Not From the
Guy in Sandals
Mar 5, 2020 10:35 AM CST
He Got Away From the Cops, But Not From the Guy in Sandals
Queensland police hoping to thank Good Samaritan who brought down alleged car thief
- An Australian dog walker used his arm as a clothesline as he brought down an alleged car thief who'd smashed into two police vehicles, narrowly missing an officer, on Thursday. A chase began around 8:30am as officers tried to apprehend the driver of a stolen Toyota Hilux utility...
She'd Given Birth 3 Days Earlier.
That Didn't Stop Her Heroism
Feb 21, 2020 1:00 PM CST
She'd Given Birth 3 Days Earlier. That Didn't Stop Her Heroism
Holly McNally, other Good Samaritans helped rescue on-fire truck driver after fuel tanker crash
- An Indianapolis-area mom had quite the week, with a relatively quiet Tuesday and Wednesday bookended by the birth of her fourth child and a heroic rescue. The
reports that Holly McNally, 35, delivered baby Connor on Monday after only a half-hour or so of labor. Connor has had...
Man Tries to
Kills Him With
Feb 7, 2020 6:03 AM CST
Man Tries to Save Neighbor, Kills Him With Crossbow
Man was trying to prevent pit bull attack
- A "Good Samaritan" who accidentally killed his neighbor with a crossbow while trying to protect him from a pit bull attack will not face charges, authorities in Massachusetts say. Police say they found the body of Joshua Jadusingh, 27, after they shot two aggressive pit bulls at a home...
Jan 20, 2020 1:01 PM CST
Bank Worker's Christmas Eve Kindness Gets Her Canned
Emily James fired from US Bank after giving broke customer $20
- One of US Bank's core tenets is "We put people first," but when one of its own senior bankers tried to do just that, she was fired. Emily James tells the
that on Dec. 23, she was working at the bank's call center in Gresham,...
Concerned Train Rider Calls In
Suspicious Boxes. Then, This
Nov 3, 2019 12:30 PM CST
Concerned Train Rider Calls In Suspicious Boxes. Then, This
The 6-foot-tall boxes at a New York station weren't so dangerous after all
- A good Samaritan caused quite a stir Monday by reporting suspicious boxes that turned out to contain machinery used to report suspicious boxes, Fox News reports. The train rider noticed them at New Rochelle station in New York state—about 25 miles from New York City—and used a new...
She Spent Night in Submerged
Car Before Help Arrived
Oct 25, 2019 10:14 AM CDT
She Spent Night in Submerged Car Before Help Arrived
Witnesses rescue elderly woman from vehicle in Florida
- An elderly woman was trapped overnight in her car, submerged in a bay in Venice, Fla., before two rescuers arrived by chance. Rob Goodman tells CNN he was kayaking at Higel Marine Park just before sunrise Thursday when he saw the top of a white vehicle in the water. Then,...
He Lost His Wallet. Then
He Noticed His Bank Account
in case you missed it
Oct 19, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
He Lost His Wallet. Then He Noticed His Bank Account
A stranger got creative and made 4 separate penny deposits to contact him
- When Tim Cameron lost his wallet on the way home from work on Monday, the London resident assumed it was gone for good, particularly as it contained little identifying information. Then he looked at his bank account. Enter an ingenious Good Samaritan by the name of Simon. As Mashable reports,...
Noticed His Good
Deed. They Did
in case you missed it
Oct 12, 2019 7:00 AM CDT
Cashier Didn't Think Anyone Noticed His Good Deed. They Did
David Vance quietly paid for elderly man's groceries out of his own pocket after the customer's credit card kept getting declined
- David Vance tried to pull off a subtle act of kindness for someone in financial straits last month, but someone noticed, posted about it online, and now the grocery store cashier in Northern Ireland is being hailed around the world. Vance, who works at a Lidl in Belfast, was working...
Sep 27, 2019 11:06 AM CDT
Police Praise Good Samaritan 'Squirrel Whisperer'
Mama squirrel sought help for her baby, and Tia Powell complied
- Police in Virginia are praising a woman they've dubbed the "squirrel whisperer" for helping out a baby squirrel and its mother, per the AP . In a Facebook post, Pulaski police say officers received a call from a woman who told them a squirrel came up to her on...
He Was Handing Out Cash to
Strangers, Got Fatally Shot
Apr 9, 2019 3:40 PM CDT
He Was Handing Out Cash to Strangers, Got Fatally Shot
Good Samaritan got into verbal altercation that quickly turned physical
- Craig Brewer was paying for strangers' meals and handing out $20 bills at a Gainesville, Florida, Waffle House when the 41-year-old good Samaritan was shot to death. The incident took place just after 3am Sunday, per the Alachua County Sheriff . Deputies had already been called to the scene before the...
at the Store
Mar 8, 2019 8:23 AM CST
$273M Mega Millions Winner Forgot Ticket at the Store
Luckily, a Good Samaritan turned Michael Weirsky's tickets in to store workers
- We all know what it's like to be distracted by our cellphones. But for Michael Weirsky, that distraction nearly cost him a $163 million. That's how much the New Jersey man is about to receive in one lump sum after one of his Mega Millions tickets hit the...
Stopped to Help,
Paid Awful Price
in case you missed it
Feb 10, 2019 12:15 PM CST
Good Samaritan Stopped to Help, Paid Awful Price
Robert Bruno Jr. jumps over bridge to avoid oncoming cars after stopping at a crash
- A Good Samaritan stopped to help a crashed driver in San Diego County on Wednesday, only to die when he was forced over one of America's tallest bridges. Robert Verlin Bruno Jr. had pulled over in icy and foggy conditions to assist the driver of a Ford F-150 that...
2 Kind Acts Bring Relief
for Chicago's Homeless
Jan 31, 2019 12:03 PM CST
2 Kind Acts Bring Relief for Chicago's Homeless
An 11-year-old girl and a stranger are to thank
- About 70 homeless people in Chicago will have a warm refuge for the rest of the week thanks to a kind stranger. The inhabitants of a tent camp at a vacant downtown lot were left without a heating source Wednesday after a propane tank exploded. Nobody was injured, but with...
Gets a Flat,
and a Surprise
Jan 25, 2019 4:33 AM CST
Colin Powell Gets a Flat, and a Surprise Helper
Veteran Anthony Maggert, who lost his leg in Afghanistan, was happy to help
- Both Anthony Maggert and Colin Powell got a bit of a surprise Wednesday—Maggert, an Iraq and Afghanistan veteran, by seeing Powell stranded on the side of the road with a flat, and Powell by seeing Maggert, who lost his leg while in Afghanistan, pulling over to help him, reports...
Dave? Dave? Kansas City Man
Gets Tickets for Being Kind
Jan 13, 2019 5:38 PM CST
Dave? Dave? Kansas City Man Gets Tickets for Being Kind
Offensive lineman Jeff Allen just had to find him
- A random act of kindness has netted AFC Championship tickets for a man called Dave who helped dig a Kansas City Chief out of the snow, the AP reports. Offensive linesman Jeff Allen posted on Twitter that his car got stuck as he was heading to Arrowhead Stadium to take...
Guy Finds Chanel Purse
With $10K in Cash
Dec 22, 2018 10:40 AM CST
Guy Finds Chanel Purse With $10K in Cash
Richard Taverna says he never intended to keep it
- A Manhattan man who stumbled on a purse containing $10,000 did what anyone would do ... right? Richard Taverna was waiting for the subway Thursday at the Lincoln Center-66th Street 1 train stop when he spotted a blue Chanel bag on the platform: "I picked it up to see...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
New Jersey Lawmaker Murdered Near Her Home
Forecasters Warn of Generational Cold
Groundhog Day Took a Tragic Turn in Quebec
Police: Actually, No Evidence We Headed Off Mass Shooting
China: Let's Stay Calm About This Alleged Spy Balloon
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.