Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Test Scores for US
Students Are 'Appalling'
Oct 24, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Test Scores for US Students Are 'Appalling'
Drops recorded in math and reading, and the pandemic is blamed
- A federal assessment of US students known as the "nation's report card" is out, and the results are pretty bleak. Scores are down in reading and math—especially math—across the country, with the pandemic blamed for wreaking havoc on education. Details:
The National Assessment of
Illustrations in Chinese
Textbook Don't Go Over Well
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2022 8:15 AM CDT
Illustrations in Chinese Textbook Don't Go Over Well
27 are punished over drawings described as lewd, racist, and just plain weird
- China's education ministry is penalizing 27 publishing professionals for a series of odd illustrations in a math textbook. Per the
the announcement comes after an investigation that began in May, when samples of the drawings were posted on Chinese social media and described there as "tragically ugly,...
Here Are the Most,
Least Educated US Cities
Jul 24, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Here Are the Most, Least Educated US Cities
Ann Arbor, Michigan, tops WalletHub's list, while Visalia, California, comes in last
- Where college grads head to after they've thrown their caps in the air can make or break a city's smarts cachet. WalletHub wanted to see which US cities can claim that "most educated" prestige, so it looked at 150 of the most populated metropolitan areas around the...
School District's Diversity Chief
Quit Before She Even Started
Jun 18, 2022 7:45 AM CDT
School District's Diversity Chief Quit Before She Even Started
ProPublica dives deep into the story of a Black educator driven out of 2 jobs by white parents
- In early 2021, Cecilia Lewis was looking forward to pulling up roots from her Maryland home and starting a new job as a Georgia school district's first administrator for diversity, equity, and inclusion. What Lewis had seen as an exciting opportunity, however, never panned out, thanks to white parents...
Starting at 7, Russians
to Learn 'Patriotic History'
Apr 20, 2022 4:09 PM CDT
Starting at 7, Russians to Learn 'Patriotic History'
Students will be taught their country didn't mistreat Ukraine
- After being accused of committing atrocities in Ukraine , and facing global opposition for its invasion, Russia is taking a step to control the narrative among its people early. The Education Ministry has announced the starting age for compulsory history lessons in its schools will be 7, down from 10. It'...
This State Is
Feb 14, 2022 10:50 AM CST
This State Is America's Smartest
Massachusetts is most educated, per WalletHub ranking; West Virginia is least
- Schools have taken a big hit during the pandemic, with continual disruptions to in-person learning in elementary and secondary schools and colleges across the nation. Still, as WalletHub notes, "amid these struggles, some states are able to provide safe, quality education more than others." To find out which...
At 89, He Achieved His Dream
of Becoming a Physicist
Nov 15, 2021 1:45 PM CST
At 89, He Achieved His Dream of Becoming a Physicist
Rhode Island's Manfred Steiner got Ph.D in physics after retiring from medicine
- A 89-year-old Rhode Island man has achieved a goal he spent two decades working toward and nearly a lifetime thinking about—earning his Ph.D. and becoming a physicist. Manfred Steiner recently defended his dissertation successfully at Brown University in Providence. Steiner cherishes this degree because it's what he...
Taliban Shut Girls Out
of Reopening High Schools
Sep 17, 2021 4:35 PM CDT
Taliban Shut Girls Out of Reopening High Schools
Announcement says boys are going back to class but makes no mention of female students
- School will resume Saturday in Afghanistan for grades seven through 12, the Taliban announced Friday in a statement. The message of the next sentence was clear: "All male teachers and students should attend their educational institutions." Girls and the women who teach them apparently are left out, making...
Teens Rank the
9 Biggest Threats
They Are Facing
in case you missed it
Aug 28, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Teens Rank the 9 Biggest Threats They Are Facing
Climate change fails to make the top 5
- Teenagers are perhaps less concerned with climate change than you might think, ranking it sixth in a list of the nine greatest threats to their generation, according to a new
-Ipsos poll. The national survey of 1,349 teens aged 14 to 18, conducted online in May and...
Florida Rules Out
Jun 11, 2021 1:48 PM CDT
Florida Rules Out Teaching Critical Race Theory
Gov. DeSantis scores a victory
- Florida's state Board of Education banned "critical race theory" in public school classrooms Thursday, adopting new rules it said would shield schoolchildren from a curriculum that could "distort historical events." The state joined a national debate about how race should be used as a lens in...
Apr 28, 2021 8:12 AM CDT
Biden Offers Free Preschool, Community College
Sweeping 'American Families Plan' expected to cost $1.8T over 10 years
- Students would get four extra years of paid education under the White House's new $1.8 trillion spending and tax plan, which would also provide paid family and medical leave for US workers. The "American Families Plan" may irk not only Republicans, but progressive Democrats, too. Here's...
Here Are the Most,
States in America
Feb 16, 2021 8:38 AM CST
Here Are the Most, Least Educated States in America
Massachusetts comes out on top
- Schooling has been upended during the coronavirus pandemic, but education remains paramount for future opportunities, so WalletHub took a look to see which states offer the best chance at becoming an egghead. The site examined all 50 states across 18 metrics in two main categories: educational attainment, which includes the...
China Says Its
Boys Are Too
Plan to Fix That
Feb 6, 2021 4:16 PM CST
China Says Its Boys Are Too 'Weak,' Has Plan to Fix That
'Proposal to Prevent the Feminization of Male Youths' is getting pushback
- If you're wondering about the meaning of the "Proposal to Prevent the Feminization of Male Youths," the newest initiative from China's Education Ministry, the title pretty much explains it. The
New York Times
reports that the plan, unveiled last week with scant detail and no word...
Failing Grades Are
'Off the Rails' This Year
Dec 7, 2020 12:51 PM CST
Failing Grades Are 'Off the Rails' This Year
Teachers say it may have been too soon to bring back the A-F system
- This is a school year like no other—and students are getting failing grades like never before. With students still learning from home in many areas, districts around the country are reporting a massive increase in F grades, with disadvantaged students falling furthest behind. At McNary High School in Keizer,...
Postponed Till 2022
Nov 26, 2020 4:05 PM CST
National Exams Postponed Till 2022
'Nation's report card,' assessing progress of fourth and eighth graders, was scheduled for January
- Because so many students are learning remotely or attending schools that are limiting visitors during the pandemic, nationwide tests for fourth and eighth graders will be delayed until 2022. The math and reading tests had been scheduled for January 2021, per US News and World Report . The National Assessment of...
on Foreign Students
Nov 24, 2020 7:11 AM CST
'Disheartening' Stats on Foreign Students
This fall, college enrollment of new international students fell 43%; total enrollment dipped 16%
- President Trump has taken steps to discourage foreign enrollment in American universities, and, in combination with the pandemic, that effort has succeeded: The number of international students studying in the US has dropped for the fourth consecutive year. This fall, new enrollment fell 43%, while total enrollment of international students...
Trump: New Executive Order
Will Push 'Patriotic Education'
Sep 18, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
Trump: New Executive Order Will Push 'Patriotic Education'
President criticizes 1619 Project
- President Trump says he'll sign an executive order to "promote patriotic education" after bashing a
New York Times
project investigating how the the legacy of slavery impacts Black Americans as "toxic propaganda." In what the AP sees as "a defense of white culture," Trump...
This State Has the Best
School System in America
Jul 27, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
This State Has the Best School System in America
Massachusetts ranks No. 1 in WalletHub ranking; New Mexico comes in last
- After a school year disrupted by COVID-19, parents are more concerned than ever about their children's education. The coronavirus aside, how well public schools fare across America is often dictated by the funding they receive, which is one of the factors WalletHub took into account in its examination of...
This Is the Smartest
City in America
Jul 20, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
This Is the Smartest City in America
Ann Arbor takes the No. 1 spot again
- Last year, Ann Arbor ranked at the top of WalletHub's list of the most educated US cities. This year, the Michigan metropolis takes home top honors again in the site's latest ranking . To see where the most educated Americans are settling down, WalletHub looked at 150 of the...
Florida Makes a Big Decision
on Schools Reopening
Jul 7, 2020 6:52 AM CDT
Florida Makes a Big Decision on Schools Reopening
Education commissioner issues emergency order mandating all public schools open in August
- As Florida's coronavirus cases surge, the education commissioner there issued an emergency order Monday that mandated all public K-12 schools open in August. Per the
, Richard Corcoran's order requires that all brick-and-mortar schools open for at least five days a week for each student. That rules...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Country Singer, 37, Dies in His Sleep on Wedding Night
Comedian Has Survived in NYC Nearly a Month on Just $100
'At Long Last We Have Gained Some Traction on This Most ... Feared Disease'
Black Guest Badgered by Staff Member at Palace Event
She Was Behind Some of Fleetwood Mac's Biggest Hits
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.