Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
This State Has the Best
School System in America
Jul 27, 2020 10:30 AM CDT
This State Has the Best School System in America
Massachusetts ranks No. 1 in WalletHub ranking; New Mexico comes in last
- After a school year disrupted by COVID-19, parents are more concerned than ever about their children's education. The coronavirus aside, how well public schools fare across America is often dictated by the funding they receive, which is one of the factors WalletHub took into account in its examination of...
This Is the Smartest
City in America
Jul 20, 2020 11:50 AM CDT
This Is the Smartest City in America
Ann Arbor takes the No. 1 spot again
- Last year, Ann Arbor ranked at the top of WalletHub's list of the most educated US cities. This year, the Michigan metropolis takes home top honors again in the site's latest ranking . To see where the most educated Americans are settling down, WalletHub looked at 150 of the...
Florida Makes a Big Decision
on Schools Reopening
Jul 7, 2020 6:52 AM CDT
Florida Makes a Big Decision on Schools Reopening
Education commissioner issues emergency order mandating all public schools open in August
- As Florida's coronavirus cases surge, the education commissioner there issued an emergency order Monday that mandated all public K-12 schools open in August. Per the
, Richard Corcoran's order requires that all brick-and-mortar schools open for at least five days a week for each student. That rules...
CEO to Take
Jun 17, 2020 10:50 AM CDT
America's 'Painful' Times Inspire One CEO to Take Action
Reed Hastings and wife Patty Quillin donate $120M
- The top guy at Netflix and his wife just made a major donation to black colleges and say they hope others will do the same, NBC News reports. Company CEO Reed Hastings and Patty Quillin said Wednesday they're giving $120 million to two historically black colleges and the United...
Teacher Breaks the Mold
With Online Classes
Jun 13, 2020 1:00 PM CDT
Teacher Breaks the Mold With Online Classes
Jorge Manolo Villarroel's online classes have actually become popular
- Sometimes, Jorge Manolo Villarroel is Spiderman. Sometimes, he's the Flash, or the Green Lantern. But he’s always a teacher—one who lives out his childhood dreams by dressing up as superheroes for the locked-down students who attend his virtual classes, the AP reports. His classes have become so...
For Poorer Students, School
Shutdowns Illustrate a Problem
Mar 30, 2020 11:51 AM CDT
For Poorer Students, School Shutdowns Illustrate a Problem
Some families don't have internet or computers at home
- The pandemic that has launched a massive, unplanned experiment with distance learning has created extraordinary hurdles for schoolchildren left behind by the digital divide, per the AP . School districts and governments are now racing to give the millions of US students without home internet a chance of keeping up. Nationwide,...
Mar 10, 2020 9:11 AM CDT
Elon Musk: Who Needs 'Annoying' College?
Tesla CEO says college is 'not for learning,' praises dropouts like Steve Jobs, Bill Gates
- Tesla and SpaceX CEO Elon Musk appeared in a "fireside chat" Monday at the Satellite 2020 space community conference, and during the Q&A portion he was asked about the accessibility of higher learning and how college could be made more affordable for students in need. Musk's answer:...
Lucky SOTU Student
Isn't What She Seemed
Feb 8, 2020 2:00 PM CST
Lucky SOTU Student Isn't What She Seemed
Janiyah Davis was already attending a charter school
- President Trump threw the spotlight on a Philadelphia fourth grader during his State of the Union address, but appeared to fumble a key fact—about the kind of school she attended. Trump made Janiyah Davis a showpiece for the school-choice movement Tuesday when he referred to "countless American children...
Why This Really
Feb 1, 2020 3:00 PM CST
Research Shows Why This Really Doesn't Work
Study says praise is much better than a reprimand
- A kind word goes a long way—even with unruly elementary-school kids. So says a study that had teachers use positive reinforcement when teaching children between the ages of 5 and 12, CNN reports. Lead author Paul Caldarella, a professor in the Brigham Young University, led a team that counted...
The 10 Most, Least
Educated US States
Jan 20, 2020 9:35 AM CST
The 10 Most, Least Educated US States
Massachusetts comes in at No. 1, Mississippi is last
- Looking to surround yourself with brainiacs? Some states have more of an emphasis on education than others, and WalletHub looked at the data to see which ones graduate at the top of the class. The site analyzed all 50 states in terms of educational attainment (meaning such factors as the...
Nov 8, 2019 12:20 PM CST
Buttigieg Plan: Free College for Families Under $100K
Sound Bend mayor lays out economic blueprint
- Pete Buttigieg wants to help low-income families with free college tuition, free childcare, and expanded tax credits, according to a $2.1 trillion economic plan announced Friday. The plan includes free tuition at four-year public colleges for families earning up to $100,000, reduced tuition for those earning up to...
America's 10 Most,
Least Educated Cities
Jul 22, 2019 10:05 AM CDT
America's 10 Most, Least Educated Cities
Look for the learned in Ann Arbor, Mich.
- "Smart" doesn't necessarily equate with "educated," but having an education can certainly help maximize one's natural intelligence—and there are certain US cities where the most scholarly are gathered. WalletHub looked at the 150 most populated metropolitan areas in the US, specifically across two key...
Girl, 14, Got Oregon to
Pass a Holocaust Bill
May 29, 2019 11:34 AM CDT
Girl, 14, Got Oregon to Pass a Holocaust Bill
Along with her dear friend, a 92-year-old Holocaust survivor
- When Claire Sarnowski, as a fourth grader, met Holocaust survivor Alter Wiener at one of his talks, no one could have predicted that their friendship would end up changing the law in Oregon. But it looks like that's exactly what's about to happen: Thanks to work done by...
Teen Hackers Expose
Flaw in Today's Education
Nov 8, 2018 1:22 PM CST
Teen Hackers Expose Flaw in Today's Education
Pair in Michigan might have been nurtured as tech whizzes; instead, a criminal investigation
has picked the two latest students to profile for its "Faces of the Future" series, but they're seemingly odd honorees on the surface: Jeremy Currier and Seth Stephens have been expelled from their high school and face possible criminal prosecution. So what gives? It turns...
The Vote Is In:
Hillary Set to Be
Cut From Texas
Sep 15, 2018 7:00 AM CDT
The Vote Is In: Hillary Set to Be Cut From Texas History Lessons
And also Helen Keller, if state Board of Education's vote is finalized in November
- The Texas Board of Education says it's trying to "streamline" the social studies curriculum in its public schools, and one way it plans on doing so is by getting rid of two big names from the required learning plan. The
Dallas Morning News
reports that on Friday, the...
This City Is the
Jul 31, 2018 1:24 PM CDT
This City Is the Smartest in America—by Far
Michigan's Ann Arbor nabs No. 1 spot on WalletHub list of most educated metro areas
- Where do people in the know live, work, and play? WalletHub examines the educational levels in America's 150 most populated metro areas, looking at nearly a dozen metrics in the "Educational Attainment" and "Quality of Education and Attainment Gap" categories—to wit, what diplomas or degrees a...
5 US States With Best,
Worst School Systems
Jul 30, 2018 11:14 AM CDT
5 US States With Best, Worst School Systems
Massachusetts takes top spot; New Mexico is last
- If you know your children will be in public schools for their entire K-12 career, it might pay to check out which states have the highest-quality educational offerings. WalletHub looked at how all 50, plus the District of Columbia, ranked across more than two dozen metrics in the "Quality"...
Nearly Half of Afghan Kids Not
in School, Study Finds
Jun 3, 2018 4:30 PM CDT
Nearly Half of Afghan Kids Not in School, Study Finds
War and poverty were among the factors causing the low enrollment rates
- Nearly half of Afghanistan's children are not attending school because of war, poverty and other factors, a new report showed Sunday. Per the AP, the study, released by the Education Ministry and the UN children's agency, said that 3.7 million, or 44 percent, of all school-age children...
Apr 15, 2018 10:20 AM CDT
Kentucky Gov.: Teachers Are Enabling Child Sexual Assault
Matt Bevin gets rebuked from both sides of the aisle
- Kentucky Gov. Matt Bevin took his battle with striking teachers to a new level Friday by accusing them of enabling child sexual assault—a blow that even his fellow Republicans rebuked, CNN reports. "I guarantee you somewhere in Kentucky today a child was sexually assaulted that was left at...
The 5 Most, Least
Educated US States
in case you missed it
Jan 27, 2018 12:20 PM CST
The 5 Most, Least Educated US States
Mississippi ranks last
- A good education often brings greater chances of employment as well as higher income potential—two perks that residents of Mississippi and West Virginia might be at a disadvantage of attaining. That’s based on a list of the most and least educated states in the US, compiled by Wallet...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
US Population on Track for 'Historic' Swerve
They Make a Living Scamming Scammers
Some Think Twice About Wearing a Wetsuit in SF
Little-Known Syndrome More Common Than Realized
National Prayer Breakast Splinters
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.