Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
The Race Started at 7pm.
At 4am, Tragedy Struck
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Aug 27, 2022 4:45 PM CDT
The Race Started at 7pm. At 4am, Tragedy Struck
The 55-year-old was racing up a Greek mountain at night when lightning hit
- Lightning struck Sunday during a nighttime trail race up a Greek mountain, killing one runner and seriously injuring another, Greek police and the fire service reported. The two men were running in the Six Peaks race, which passes through the six highest peaks of Mount Falakro in northern Greece, when...
in the World Wants
Ownership of His
Aug 23, 2022 7:31 AM CDT
Fastest Man in the World Wants Ownership of His Victory Pose
Retired sprinter Usain Bolt has filed to trademark signature celebration move to use logo on merch
- If you're a famous athlete with the name "Bolt," and you've got a signature victory move that resembles a jagged line of electricity, chances are you're going to make sure you control that likeness. There's only one man this situation currently applies to in...
Woman Killed as SoCal
Hit With 25K Lightning Strikes
Jun 22, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
Woman Killed as SoCal Hit With 25K Lightning Strikes
Meteorologist places that in top 2% of daily California lightning totals
- The night skies over Southern California were studded with an atypical number of flashes. The North American Lightning Detection Network logged 25,000 strikes between Tuesday night and Wednesday morning, which meteorologist Chris Vagasky says falls in the top 2% of daily California lightning totals; about a third were close...
Mar 23, 2022 11:20 AM CDT
Miley Cyrus' Plane Hit by Lightning
She cancels appearance at Paraguay festival
- Miley Cyrus won't be performing at Paraguay's Asuncionico festival, but with good reason. The singer tweeted that her plane was hit by lightning while heading to that fest. "Our plane was caught in a major unexpected storm and struck by lighting," she wrote . "My crew,...
Feb 1, 2022 2:45 PM CST
2 Lightning Bolts Enter the Record Books
One flashed for nearly 500 miles in the US, the other lasted about 17 seconds in South America
- Most flashes of lightning are gone in the blink of an eye and forgotten. And then there are these two beasts, newly entered into the record books by the World Meteorological Organization .
On April 29, 2020, a single "megaflash" of lightning covered a distance of 477 miles over
17 Dead After Lightning Strikes
Boat Carrying Wedding Party
Aug 5, 2021 7:46 AM CDT
17 Dead After Lightning Strikes Boat Carrying Wedding Party
Another 14 were injured in tragedy in Bangladesh
- What was supposed to be a day of celebration turned into a day of mourning in Bangladesh, after a lightning strike killed more than a dozen people in a wedding party. Authorities say a boat headed toward the bride's house on Wednesday had just reached the banks of the...
Lightning Strikes Kill 38
in 24 Hours in India
Jul 12, 2021 3:19 AM CDT
Lightning Strikes Kill 38 in 24 Hours in India
Deaths by lightning are common during monsoon season
- Lightning has killed at least 38 people across two Indian states over the past 24 hours, officials said Monday. A majority of the deaths occurred in the western state of Rajasthan, where 11 people died after being struck by lightning near a watchtower at the 12th century Amber Fort, police...
Tybee Island Lightning Strike
Kills Teenage Tourist
Jun 14, 2021 2:50 AM CDT
Tybee Island Lightning Strike Kills Teenage Tourist
Girl, 15, was visiting the area with her family
- A 15-year-old girl visiting Tybee Island, Ga., with her family from Alabama was killed Saturday by a lightning strike. The teen was swimming off the coast at the time, CNN reports. As NOAA explains, lightning usually strikes land, but when it hits the ocean, the water acts as a conductor....
Mar 22, 2021 12:04 AM CDT
Olympic Surfing Hopeful Fatally Struck by Lightning
Katherine Diaz planned to compete for El Salvador this summer
- Katherine Diaz planned to compete for her home country of El Salvador when surfing makes its Olympic debut this summer. But the 22-year-old, the country's top surfer, was struck by lightning and killed Friday while training near her home in El Tunco, the
reports. Per a Spanish-language newspaper,...
Lightning Sparks New
Wildfires Across California
Aug 16, 2020 3:10 PM CDT
Lightning Sparks New Wildfires Across California
Over 4.5K buildings are threatened by wildfire
- A rare summer thunderstorm brought lightning that sparked several small blazes in Northern California on Sunday and stoked a huge forest fire that has forced hundreds of people from their homes north of Los Angeles, the AP reports. More than 4,500 buildings remained threatened by the wildfire, which was...
Jun 5, 2020 10:41 AM CDT
Lightning Zaps Washington Monument
2 National Guardsmen also hit in Lafayette Square park
- If the air over Washington, DC, felt electric Thursday night, well, no wonder. Two members of the National Guard suffered non-life-threatening injuries as they were struck by lightning within Lafayette Square park, the home of ongoing protests over the death of George Floyd, shortly after midnight, WUSA9 reports. Both are...
Hits the Deep South
Apr 12, 2020 5:00 PM CDT
Mother Nature Hits the Deep South
Several states are under storm warnings
- Strong storms pounded parts of the Deep South on Sunday, damaging buildings and toppling trees in northern Louisiana, the AP reports. The National Weather Service reported multiple tornadoes and damaging winds over much of the northern part of the state. There were no immediate reports of serious injuries. Utility companies...
'One in a Million': Runner Killed
by Lightning Near Finish Line
Oct 1, 2019 1:24 AM CDT
'One in a Million': Runner Killed by Lightning Near Finish Line
Organizers say storm blew in without warning
- A 33-year-old distance runner in Kansas was less than a quarter mile from the finish line in a 31-mile ultramarathon when he was killed by lightning. Carolyn Robinson, director of the FlatRock trail race, says Thomas Stanley was struck around 2:15pm Saturday after a small storm blew in "...
Cemetery Jogger Killed
by Lightning Strike
Sep 5, 2019 12:30 PM CDT
Cemetery Jogger Killed by Lightning Strike
Cincinnati woman dies after sheltering from storm under tree
- Three women were jogging through Cincinnati's Spring Grove Cemetery on Friday when a security guard—seeing a storm approaching—offered them a ride, a cemetery rep tells WLWT . They declined the offer, and all three were hit by a lightning strike moments later as they sheltered under an oak...
Lightning Lit Up the Skies.
Then Her Toilet Blew Up
Aug 6, 2019 12:25 PM CDT
Lightning Lit Up the Skies. Then Her Toilet Blew Up
Marylou Ward's toilet exploded after lightning hit septic tank
- Some people stay out of the shower during a lightning storm; Marylou Ward may be staying off the toilet during one from here on in. That's because, per FOX 13 , the Port Charlotte, Fla., resident is still cleaning up the wreckage in her bathroom and on other parts of...
Race Was Paused for Weather,
but She Wasn't Alerted
Jul 31, 2019 1:02 PM CDT
Race Was Paused for Weather, but She Wasn't Alerted
44-year-old Norwegian ultrarunner dies in lightning strike in Italy
- The Südtirol Ultra Skyrace race calls itself "the most extreme experience in the Alps." One runner didn't survive it.
reports that a 44-year-old Norwegian woman was hit by lightning Saturday evening while participating in the three-day, 75-mile race, which begins and ends in Bolzano,...
The Lifeguards Fled the Beach.
Then the Lightning Struck
Jul 22, 2019 7:21 AM CDT
The Lifeguards Fled the Beach. Then the Lightning Struck
8 hurt, one critically, in Clearwater Beach, Fla.
- Authorities say a lightning strike at a Gulf Coast beach in Florida has left eight people hurt, one of them critically. Clearwater Deputy Fire Chief Marvin Pettingill told local media outlets that the lightning strike occurred at Clearwater Beach about 12:45pm Sunday after lifeguards had left their towers because...
Motorcyclist on Highway
Jun 10, 2019 11:30 AM CDT
Lightning Strikes Motorcyclist on Highway
45-year-old man did not survive subsequent crash in Florida
- A 45-year-old motorcyclist is dead after his helmet was struck by lightning as he rode in Florida Sunday afternoon, causing a crash that the man did not survive, WFTV reports. The man, who was from Charlotte, North Carolina, was on I-95 south in east-central Florida at the time, ABC News...
2 Brothers Went to
Rev Up a Sauna. They
Were Found Dead
Aug 4, 2018 8:30 AM CDT
2 Brothers Went to Rev Up a Sauna. They Were Found Dead
Police in Finland believe the men were electrocuted after a nearby lightning strike
- Finnish police say they suspect two men died from a lightning strike's electric charge while they were heating up a sauna near a summer cottage in eastern Finland. The brothers, born in 1950 and 1953, had arrived at the cottage in Juuka, a community of 3,200 in the...
Lightning Kills Arkansas
Father of 2
Jun 11, 2018 7:00 PM CDT
Lightning Kills Arkansas Father of 2
Tyler Grisham was doing construction work when a tree close to him was struck
- A father of two was killed by lightning last week as storms blew through central Arkansas, KARK reports. Tyler Grisham was working at a construction site Friday when a tree nearby him was struck. Grisham was also hit and rushed to a hospital, but it was too late. Grisham's...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Merriam-Webster Chooses Its Word of the Year
Iran, US Soccer Now Have Bad Blood Over Altered Flag
Court Sides With Man Fired for Avoiding Workplace 'Fun'
Cops: 'Catfishing' Leads to Triple Homicide
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.