Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Suit: American Airlines
Lost My Kids
Nov 9, 2023 12:00 PM CST
Suit: American Airlines Lost My Kids
Mother says 2 sons were left to sleep in room 'akin to a jail cell' after their flight was scrapped
- A mother who paid a $150 fee for American Airlines to escort her two minor sons on a 1,000-mile trip is suing the airline she claims lost the boys. Amber Vencill says American promised that her sons—variously described as 10 and 12 and 12 and 14—would enjoy...
How Badly Do Regional Carriers
Need Pilots? This Badly
Nov 8, 2023 11:45 AM CST
How Badly Do Regional Carriers Need Pilots? This Badly
American subsidiary PSA Airlines is trying to woo pilots with $250K bonus package
- PSA Airlines is an American Airlines-owned regional carrier, and it's in need of captains—badly enough that it's trying to woo FedEx and UPS pilots by offering bonuses that add up to $250,000. FedEx, for its part, is actually encouraging its pilots to consider the offer. FlightGlobal...
Mom of Twins Wins in Strange
Case Against American Airlines
in case you missed it
Nov 5, 2023 10:35 AM CST
Mom of Twins Wins in Strange Case Against American Airlines
Airline refused to let toddler sit in her own seat, so she ended up on stranger's lap
- A mom of twins emerged victorious after suing American Airlines because the airline refused to let one of her toddlers sit in a seat the family had purchased, then failed to refund them for the unused seat. Erika Hamilton used 9,000 of her airlines miles to book seats for...
Musician Says Airline Accused
Him of Trafficking Own Sons
Oct 4, 2023 9:35 AM CDT
Musician Says Airline Accused Him of Trafficking Own Sons
Black singer-songwriter David Ryan Harris says his biracial kids raised red flag with American
- A Black musician who's performed with John Mayer and the Dave Matthews Band is now on the receiving end of an apology from American Airlines after he says he was accused of trafficking his own kids. In a Sept. 23 Instagram post , David Ryan Harris, 55, said he flew...
Police Say Death of
Flight Attendant Is Suspicious
Sep 27, 2023 5:15 PM CDT
Police Say Death of Flight Attendant Is Suspicious
Woman was found dead in Philadelphia airport hotel
- Police in Philadelphia are investigating the death of a flight attendant whose body was found in a room at an airport hotel two days after she was supposed to check out. A Philadelphia Police Department spokesperson tells
that the 66-year-old American Airlines flight attendant was found with a...
Flight Attendant Recorded
Girl, 14, in Bathroom: Family
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 23, 2023 3:30 PM CDT
Flight Attendant Recorded Girl, 14, in Bathroom: Family
Police removed flight attendant from American Airlines flight on Sept. 2; FBI investigating
- The family of a 14-year-old girl who allegedly discovered an iPhone taped to the back of a toilet seat on a recent flight from Charlotte, North Carolina, to Boston said they believe she was targeted by a member of the crew, per the AP . During American Airlines Flight 1441 on...
American Airlines Sues
Aug 22, 2023 8:56 PM CDT
American Airlines Sues 'Skiplagging' Website
Skiplagged sells 'hidden city' tickets
- American Airlines appears to be getting tough on skiplagging, also known as "hidden city" ticketing—the practice of buying an airline ticket with a layover and ending your journey in the layover city instead of the final destination. This can save travelers money when the longer flight is cheaper...
American Airlines' Pilots
Just Got a Nice Surprise
Aug 22, 2023 2:00 AM CDT
American Airlines' Pilots Just Got a Nice Surprise
Under new contract, pay will go up 21% immediately, then even more
- Under a new contract ratified Monday , American Airlines pilots are getting a significant pay bump. Their compensation will increase by 46% over its four-year duration, with immediate changes including a 21% boost in pay and improved sick leave, vacation pay, and training pay. The airline also increased 401(k) contributions and...
Flight Makes 'Terrifying' Drop
After Pressurization Warning
Aug 13, 2023 1:20 PM CDT
Flight Makes 'Terrifying' Drop After Pressurization Warning
Passenger praises crew after plane lands safely
- An American Airlines flight last week dropped nearly 20,000 feet over 11 minutes after the pilot received a warning of a pressurization problem, a descent that a passenger called terrifying. Flight 5916, which took off Thursday afternoon from Charlotte, landed safely in Gainesville, Florida. No one was injured, WCNC...
JetBlue Gives Up
on American Alliance
Jul 5, 2023 6:45 PM CDT
JetBlue Gives Up on American Alliance
Former partner is still appealing ruling against the arrangement in Northeast
- JetBlue will abandon its partnership in the Northeast with American Airlines, accepting a judge's ruling though its former partner is appealing it. JetBlue said Wednesday it will instead concentrate on acquiring Spirit Airlines, CNBC reports, after a court found that the deal with American hurts competition. American confirmed Wednesday...
He Waited Out 18-Hour Delay,
Had a Wild Flight
Jun 28, 2023 1:57 PM CDT
He Waited Out 18-Hour Delay, Had a Wild Flight
Persistent North Carolina real estate agent gets the flight to himself, has some fun
- Sometimes persistence pays off—in the form of basically a private flight home. Such is the case of Phil Stringer, who booked what ended up becoming a
delayed flight from Oklahoma City to Charlotte, North Carolina, that was scheduled to leave at 6:30am Sunday. After at least seven...
Introduces a New Fee
Jun 14, 2023 10:00 AM CDT
American Airlines Introduces a New Fee
Basic economy tickets on transoceanic flights no longer come with a free checked bag
- The nickel-and-diming of airline passengers continues. American Airlines has announced that travelers flying internationally on its Basic Economy tickets will no longer enjoy a first checked bag free. There will now be a $75 fee for the first checked bag on transoceanic flights, with the airline explaining the move was...
Worker Dies in 'Tragic Event'
Outside Terminal Gate
Apr 21, 2023 4:15 PM CDT
Worker Dies in 'Tragic Event' Outside Terminal Gate
American Airlines employee's service vehicle collided with jet bridge in Austin: officials
- An American Airlines employee died at a Texas airport on Thursday after suffering "traumatic injuries" in a crash with the bridge that connects a plane to a terminal gate. The employee, who has not been identified, was operating a service vehicle that struck the jet bridge, according to authorities,...
Here's How America's
Major Airlines Rank
Apr 19, 2023 10:25 AM CDT
Here's How America's Major Airlines Rank
WalletHub places Delta at the top of its list
- Finding the cheapest flight is often a traveler's priority, but there are other reasons to pick one airline over the other. WalletHub checked out the nine largest US carriers, plus two regional airlines, to see how they ranked on everything from baggage, departures, and safety, to in-flight comfort (think...
Collide at LAX
Feb 11, 2023 2:35 PM CST
Plane, Bus Collide at LAX
American airliner, which held no passengers, was being towed on LA taxiway
- An airliner being towed on a taxiway at Los Angeles International Airport collided with a shuttle bus on Friday night, injuring five people. The bus was carrying passengers, but the American Airlines Airbus A321 wasn't, the
New York Times
reports. The bus was carrying passengers between terminals, while the...
American, Southwest Post
Drastically Different Q4 Stats
Jan 26, 2023 8:35 AM CST
American, Southwest Post Drastically Different Q4 Stats
American sees a profit of $803M; Southwest takes $220M loss after a chaotic December
- American Airlines offered more proof Thursday of the recovery in air travel, posting a better-than-expected profit for the fourth quarter, while Southwest Airlines lost money because of massive flight cancellations last month. Southwest said it also expects another loss in the first quarter, though it added it was encouraged by...
JFK Has a Close Call:
'Cancel Takeoff Clearance!'
Jan 15, 2023 4:25 PM CST
JFK Has a Close Call: 'Cancel Takeoff Clearance!'
American plane taxied across runway in front of departing Delta 737
- The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating after an airliner crossed the path of another about to take off Friday night at John F. Kennedy International Airport. The crew of a Delta Air Lines Boeing 737 was able to abort takeoff, CNN reports, and the plane stopped less than 1,000...
United, American Cap Fares
to Help Southwest's Stranded
Dec 29, 2022 6:36 AM CST
United, American Cap Fares to Help Southwest's Stranded
Other airlines also try to accommodate customers left high and dry by thousands of nixed SW flights
- Amid travel woes involving Southwest Airlines ' customers this holiday week, two other major airlines are trying to mitigate the mess. CNN Business reports that United Airlines and American Airlines are limiting how much it costs to fly to and from certain cities on their own flights to help the...
Odell Beckham Jr.
Escorted Off Flight
Nov 28, 2022 12:48 AM CST
Odell Beckham Jr. Escorted Off Flight
Lawyer blames incident on 'overzealous' crew member
- Odell Beckham Jr. was removed from an American Airlines flight Sunday morning as it prepared to depart from Miami en route to Los Angeles. Per a police report cited by CBS Sports and ESPN , the flight crew tried to wake the NFL wide receiver to ask him to fasten his...
Airline Squeezes Out First Class
on International Flights
Oct 21, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Airline Squeezes Out First Class on International Flights
American says passenger preferences have changed
- It wouldn't make a great slogan, but American Airlines has decided that on its international flights, nobody will travel first class anymore. "First class will not exist on the 777, or for that matter at American Airlines, for the simple reason that our customers aren't buying it,...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Odd Hack for Panic Attacks Goes Viral on TikTok
He Killed Parents, Classmates. His Sister Tells Her Story
Native Americans in Montana Challenge New Gender Law
How the Most Precious Color on Earth Vanished
Drug Gangs Threaten Peace of Famous Squatter Commune
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.