Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular Period Tracker Says
It's Got Users' Backs on Privacy
Jun 30, 2022 8:11 AM CDT
Popular Period Tracker Says It's Got Users' Backs on Privacy
Flo launches 'Anonymous Mode' to scrub customer identifiers that can aid in abortion prosecutions
- As women scramble to delete period and fertility tracker apps from their mobile devices in the wake of last week's Roe v. Wade decision , with fears that data from such apps could be tied to prosecutions over abortion, one of the largest health apps is assuring customers their information...
Ruling Sparks Calls
to Delete Period Apps
Jun 27, 2022 1:14 AM CDT
Ruling Sparks Calls to Delete Period Apps
Experts caution data could be used in abortion prosecutions
- Many users find menstrual period tracking apps helpful in trying to become pregnant, or avoid pregnancy, or just know when they're due for their next period. But the Supreme Court's rejection of Roe v. Wade increased the fear that the data collected by the apps could be turned...
Words Amazon Workers
May Not Be Able to Say in App
Apr 5, 2022 1:46 PM CDT
Words Amazon Workers May Not Be Able to Say in App
Including 'union' and 'restroom,' per the Intercept
- The Intercept reports that Amazon is working on a chat app designed to be used by its employees with the goal of boosting morale. That in itself is pretty humdrum stuff. But the reason the story is generating attention is because the Intercept also says Amazon plans to make some...
Uber Cuts Deal
With New York Taxis
Mar 24, 2022 5:55 PM CDT
Uber Cuts Deal With New York Taxis
Company's app will list all city cabs
- Uber is short of drivers. Ride-sharing companies have cut into cabdrivers' income. An agreement that could ease both problems has been reached, allowing passengers in New York City to choose a cab when they order a ride on Uber's app, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. It's the first...
If You Can Eat
a Taco a Day,
Taco Bell Has
a Tempting Offer
Jan 10, 2022 9:30 AM CST
If You Can Eat a Taco a Day, Taco Bell Has a Tempting Offer
Get the 'Taco Lover's Pass' via the chain's app and enjoy a taco a day for 30 days, for a total of $10
- Could you eat a taco a day for a whole month? What if we said you could do so for just a ten-spot? If that thought (and price) appeals to you, there's a subscription you may want to check out, courtesy of Taco Bell. "Fans whose New Year'...
a Major Cash Infusion
Jan 7, 2022 1:25 PM CST
Parler Receives a Major Cash Infusion
It's not clear in this week's SEC filing where the $20M in new funding for the right-wing app came from
- Last year at this time, social media app Parler was struggling a bit, rendered more or less inaccessible after Google Play, Apple, and Amazon yanked it for violent content tied to the Jan. 6 riot at the US Capitol. Parler eventually made somewhat of a return online, and a new...
Tesla Users Find
Out What Happens
When App Doesn't Work
Nov 22, 2021 9:30 AM CST
Tesla Users Find Out What Happens When App Doesn't Work
Drivers worldwide were stranded when apparent outage made them unable to unlock, start their cars
- There's something to be said for a physical key to unlock and start your car. Tesla drivers around the globe found that out last week when the app they use to perform such functions was apparently affected by an outage, leaving them stranded. The BBC reports that just after...
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets:
Seniors Catfished for $139M
Oct 22, 2021 5:20 PM CDT
Broken Hearts, Empty Wallets: Seniors Catfished for $139M
FTC report says there was a 'surge' in 2020 in romance scams bamboozling Americans 60 and over
- Last month, the Department of Justice announced money laundering and wire fraud charges brought against nearly a dozen "romance scammers," and that's only scratching the surface of what the
calls a "surge" in such deceptions made worse by the pandemic, especially for the senior...
It's a Huge Milestone for TikTok
Sep 28, 2021 11:19 AM CDT
It's a Huge Milestone for TikTok
App reaches 1 billion monthly active users, for 45% growth since July 2020
- TikTok is celebrating a huge accomplishment: recruiting one in 7.5 people on the planet to tune in to its videos each month. The company announced it had reached 1 billion monthly active users in a Monday blog post , while Chief Operating Officer Vanessa Pappas thanked users in—what else?—...
a Blow to Apple
Sep 10, 2021 12:26 PM CDT
Judge's App Store Ruling a Blow to Apple
Restrictions have been loosened—good news for app developers, and possibly consumers
- A federal judge ordered Apple to dismantle part of the competitive barricade guarding its closely run App Store, threatening one of the iPhone maker's biggest moneymakers. It could potentially also save app developers billions of dollars that could encourage them to lower the prices paid by consumers, per the...
'Vigilante' App Raises
Eyebrows in NYC, LA
Jul 27, 2021 8:49 AM CDT
'Vigilante' App Raises Eyebrows in NYC, LA
Controversial neighborhood-watch app pays users to livestream crime scenes, other emergencies
- There's a new twist to local journalism in New York City and Los Angeles, and it's raising eyebrows. Citizen, which already has upward of 7 million users in dozens of US cities, promises safety alerts in real time, but recent job listings seen by the
New York Post
Bumble's 'Resilient' Workers
All Get This Week Off, Paid
Jun 22, 2021 8:52 AM CDT
Bumble's 'Resilient' Workers All Get This Week Off, Paid
As 'a way to thank our team'
- Facilitating love matches is no walk in the park, especially during a pandemic, hence Bumble's worldwide staff is getting a paid "fully offline" vacation this week. The dating app, which requires women to make the first move, has closed all of its offices so its 700 employees can...
Trump Executive Orders on
TikTok, WeChat Are Replaced
Jun 9, 2021 10:20 AM CDT
Trump Executive Orders on TikTok, WeChat Are Replaced
Under new order, Commerce Dept. will complete 'evidence-based' analysis
- The White House has dropped Trump-era executive orders that attempted to ban the popular apps TikTok and WeChat and will conduct its own review aimed at identifying national security risks with software applications tied to China, officials said Wednesday. A new executive order directs the Commerce Department to undertake what...
It's a 'Criminal Takedown
Like We Have Never Seen'
Jun 8, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
It's a 'Criminal Takedown Like We Have Never Seen'
More than 800 arrested around the world, thanks to FBI's encrypted messaging app
- The app was lauded by criminals around the world, who promoted it "for its absolute reliability," says Jannine van den Berg, chief constable of the Central Unit of the Dutch police, per the
. "But nothing was further from the truth." The encrypted messaging app,...
Twitter Introduces a 'Tip Jar'
May 7, 2021 7:13 AM CDT
Twitter Introduces a 'Tip Jar'
You can easily send money to certain users from their profile
- "Show your love, leave a tip." It's now possible, Twitter announced Thursday in introducing a new test feature designed to allow you to easily send money to your favorite accounts. To use the so-called "Tip Jar" feature, available to English-speaking users of Android and iOS app...
Apple for $600K
Mar 31, 2021 7:19 AM CDT
Man Blames Apple for $600K Bitcoin Theft
Scam cryptocurrency app was downloaded from the 'trusted' App Store
- Apple says its App Store is "the world's most trusted marketplace for apps," where each submission is carefully reviewed. Still, one app on iOS was able to steal $1.6 million in bitcoin from at least five people, reports the
. On Feb. 1, Phillipe Christodoulou...
Is Backing Parler
Nov 15, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Billionaire's Daughter Is Backing Parler
Rebekah Mercer played a vital role in getting the social-media network started
- A social media app that's soaring in popularity—especially among conservatives and libertarians—didn't just come out of nowhere. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Rebekah Mercer, a deep-pocketed conservative donor, played a big role in getting Parler up on its feet. In fact, Parler CEO John Matze...
Prompts a TikTok Move
Sep 23, 2020 2:41 PM CDT
Suicide Video Prompts a TikTok Move
Company suggests tech 'partnership' could help tamp down on harmful content
- TikTok says "groups operating on the dark web" engaged in a "coordinated effort" to share a graphic suicide video across its platform. Now it's asking other social media giants for help. The video of a US man shooting himself was live-streamed on Facebook in late August before...
Sep 20, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
Judge Sides With Angry App Users, Against the Feds
Judge Laurel Beeler says WeChat users need their First Amendment rights protected
- A judge has approved a request from a group of US WeChat users to delay looming federal government restrictions that could effectively make the popular app nearly impossible to use, the AP reports. In a ruling dated Saturday, Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler in California said the government's actions would...
Apple to Small Startup:
Ditch That Logo or Else
Aug 13, 2020 2:42 PM CDT
Apple to Small Startup: Ditch That Logo or Else
The tech giant sues Prepear over its logo of, you guessed it, a pear
- Note to small startups: Try not using a fruit logo. Apple might get mad. The tech behemoth has again filed suit over a fruity logo—this time against a five-employee startup called Prepear that advertises itself with the image of a green pear,
reports. Now Russell Monson, the recipe...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Former Cowboys Player Dies in Climbing Accident
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Florida Woman Went to Extremes to Keep Paralyzed Spouse Alive
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.