Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
It's a 'Criminal Takedown
Like We Have Never Seen'
Jun 8, 2021 9:25 AM CDT
It's a 'Criminal Takedown Like We Have Never Seen'
More than 800 arrested around the world, thanks to FBI's encrypted messaging app
- The app was lauded by criminals around the world, who promoted it "for its absolute reliability," says Jannine van den Berg, chief constable of the Central Unit of the Dutch police, per the
. "But nothing was further from the truth." The encrypted messaging app,...
Twitter Introduces a 'Tip Jar'
May 7, 2021 7:13 AM CDT
Twitter Introduces a 'Tip Jar'
You can easily send money to certain users from their profile
- "Show your love, leave a tip." It's now possible, Twitter announced Thursday in introducing a new test feature designed to allow you to easily send money to your favorite accounts. To use the so-called "Tip Jar" feature, available to English-speaking users of Android and iOS app...
Apple for $600K
Mar 31, 2021 7:19 AM CDT
Man Blames Apple for $600K Bitcoin Theft
Scam cryptocurrency app was downloaded from the 'trusted' App Store
- Apple says its App Store is "the world's most trusted marketplace for apps," where each submission is carefully reviewed. Still, one app on iOS was able to steal $1.6 million in bitcoin from at least five people, reports the
. On Feb. 1, Phillipe Christodoulou...
Is Backing Parler
Nov 15, 2020 4:00 PM CST
Billionaire's Daughter Is Backing Parler
Rebekah Mercer played a vital role in getting the social-media network started
- A social media app that's soaring in popularity—especially among conservatives and libertarians—didn't just come out of nowhere. The
Wall Street Journal
reports that Rebekah Mercer, a deep-pocketed conservative donor, played a big role in getting Parler up on its feet. In fact, Parler CEO John Matze...
Prompts a TikTok Move
Sep 23, 2020 2:41 PM CDT
Suicide Video Prompts a TikTok Move
Company suggests tech 'partnership' could help tamp down on harmful content
- TikTok says "groups operating on the dark web" engaged in a "coordinated effort" to share a graphic suicide video across its platform. Now it's asking other social media giants for help. The video of a US man shooting himself was live-streamed on Facebook in late August before...
Sep 20, 2020 3:40 PM CDT
Judge Sides With Angry App Users, Against the Feds
Judge Laurel Beeler says WeChat users need their First Amendment rights protected
- A judge has approved a request from a group of US WeChat users to delay looming federal government restrictions that could effectively make the popular app nearly impossible to use, the AP reports. In a ruling dated Saturday, Magistrate Judge Laurel Beeler in California said the government's actions would...
Apple to Small Startup:
Ditch That Logo or Else
Aug 13, 2020 2:42 PM CDT
Apple to Small Startup: Ditch That Logo or Else
The tech giant sues Prepear over its logo of, you guessed it, a pear
- Note to small startups: Try not using a fruit logo. Apple might get mad. The tech behemoth has again filed suit over a fruity logo—this time against a five-employee startup called Prepear that advertises itself with the image of a green pear,
reports. Now Russell Monson, the recipe...
Trump Signs Executive Order
That Goes After TikTok
Aug 7, 2020 12:05 AM CDT
Trump Signs Executive Order That Goes After TikTok
Bans transactions with owner ByteDance beginning in 45 days
- President Trump on Thursday ordered an unspecified ban on "transactions" with the Chinese owners of the consumer apps TikTok and WeChat. The twin executive orders—one for each app—take effect in 45 days on Sept. 20, and the BBC reports they refer to the apps as a "...
Jul 10, 2020 5:15 PM CDT
Amazon Says App Email Was a Mistake
Employees were told to ditch TikTok on mobile devices used to access company email accounts
- Amazon told its employees Friday to remove TikTok from their mobile devices if they want to keep using them to get to their company email. The company cited security risks, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. But later in the day, Amazon sent another email, per the AP . "This morning’...
Pompeo on Possible
TikTok Ban: 'US Will
Get This One Right'
Jul 7, 2020 7:43 AM CDT
Pompeo on Possible TikTok Ban: 'US Will Get This One Right'
Secretary of state says US is 'looking at' banning popular app, other social media apps out of China
- Amid a year fraught with trade issues and a Cold War-style arms race between the United States and China, a new alleged threat is now on the radar: the popular TikTok app, whose parent company is Beijing's ByteDance. Per CNBC , Secretary of State Mike Pompeo appeared on Laura Ingraham'...
Food Delivery Apps?
'Let Them Burn'
Apr 13, 2020 12:45 PM CDT
Food Delivery Apps? 'Let Them Burn'
'Food & Wine' writer says Grubhub, DoorDash are hurting restaurants with excessive commissions
- Few restaurants remain open for people to frequent during the pandemic, though many eateries continue to offer takeout and delivery options. And tapping into delivery apps like Grubhub, Uber Eats, and DoorDash is an easy way to get meals brought right to your doorstep—though Khushbu Shah would be happier...
Zoom Hid Security
Apr 8, 2020 9:50 AM CDT
Zoom Hid Security Flaws: Shareholder
Class-action lawsuit also claims unauthorized disclosure of personal info
- Shares in videoconferencing app Zoom hit record highs at the end of last month as COVID-19 forced people to work and socialize from home. Then came the drop, coinciding with concerns about " zoombombing " and other security and privacy issues. Another drop in stock price came Tuesday, with shares...
Working From Home During
Virus? Beware of 'Zoombombs'
Apr 1, 2020 12:27 PM CDT
Working From Home During Virus? Beware of 'Zoombombs'
FBI warns that hackers are 'hijacking' videoconferencing app
- As the coronavirus pandemic rages on, people stuck at home have taken to using videoconferencing apps to hold work meetings and chat with family and friends. One such app that's become ubiquitous: Zoom, founded by Cisco engineer Eric Yuan. But be careful before you log in for that virtual...
After Dozens of Deaths,
Apple Nixes 181 Apps
Nov 15, 2019 11:28 AM CST
After Dozens of Deaths, Apple Nixes 181 Apps
You won't find vaping-related products on the App Store anymore
- Don't bother with Apple for your vaping-related apps: Axios reports the company is removing all 181 apps related to e-cigarettes and vaping from its App Store. "We take great care to curate the App Store as a trusted place for customers, particularly youth, to download apps," Apple...
New Name in
Oct 17, 2019 9:30 AM CDT
New Name in Wearable Tech: the Vatican
$110 eRosary connects to app to show prayer progress
- Describing your smart device as "aimed at the peripheral frontiers of the digital world where the young people dwell" maybe isn't the hippest way to appeal to the younger generation. But that's exactly what the Vatican intends with its Click to Pray eRosary announced Wednesday. The bracelet...
Apple Pulls Hong Kong App
Amid Pressure From China
Oct 10, 2019 12:30 AM CDT
Apple Pulls Hong Kong App Amid Pressure From China
Company said it 'threatened public safety'
- Apple removed a smartphone app that allows Hong Kong activists to report police movements from its online store Thursday after an official Chinese newspaper accused the company of facilitating illegal behavior , the AP reports. Apple Inc. became the latest company to come under pressure to take Beijing's side against...
Leads to a
Sep 21, 2019 2:15 PM CDT
Facebook Probe Leads to a Big Change
The company is suspending tens of thousands of apps
- Looks like Facebook is cleaning house. The social media giant says its "app developer investigation" has led the company to suspend tens of thousands of apps, TechCrunch reports. Some were banned outright "for any number of reasons including inappropriately sharing data obtained from us, making data publicly available...
Millions Having Fun
Now, the Downside
Jul 18, 2019 11:41 AM CDT
Millions Having Fun With FaceApp. Now, the Downside
Critics say users are jeopardizing their own privacy through Russian-made app
- You may have seen the wrinkled faces of friends online, or shared your own, thanks to an aging filter that transforms user photos via the viral FaceApp. The Russian-made app has been around since 2017 but has seen new interest with the viral #FaceAppChallenge and #AgeChallenge, with participants including Lil...
He'll See No Time
Jun 21, 2019 11:03 AM CDT
He Molested 11-Year-Old Girl. He'll See No Time Behind Bars
The girl tested positive for chlamydia after sexual encounter with Joseph Meili of Missouri
- Joseph Meili's lawyer is praising a "just outcome" for his client in a case prosecutors slam as one of "willful ignorance." And the 22-year-old Missouri man's crime is a heinous one: Per the
, Meili pleaded guilty last week to third-degree...
He Used a Snapchat Filter to
Get This Pic, Launched a Sting
Jun 12, 2019 10:40 AM CDT
He Used a Snapchat Filter to Get This Pic, Launched a Sting
A California cop was arrested as a result of Ethan's actions
- Snapchat's gender-swapping filter has been used to make a viral Evanescence video , alter famous works of art , and reveal Glenn Close's unexpected male celebrity look-alike since it launched in May. Now, a use that's a little more impactful: NBC Bay Area reports a local college student used...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.