Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Sinema Put Manchin
in Role of Protecting Bill
Aug 8, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Sinema Put Manchin in Role of Protecting Bill
Differences on taxes were resolved, allowing passage, though it wasn't easy
- Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer negotiated for months on the climate change, health care, and tax legislation that passed the Senate on Sunday. When they finally reached an agreement, they still weren't finished. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema had been left out of the talks, and she...
Jul 31, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Sinema Won't Block GOP Changes to Climate Bill
Democrats, including Manchin, worry about winning Arizona senator's vote
- Sen. Joe Manchin isn't sure that his frequent fellow Democratic holdout, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, will support the legislative agreement he struck with their majority leader last week, either. Sinema has made no promises, Axios reports, which has her party worried. Democrats need all of their 50 Senate votes to...
Jul 28, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
After Manchin Surprise, All Eyes on Sinema
Arizona senator is still mum on potential breakthrough for Democrats
- Joe Manchin stunned DC Wednesday by announcing that he had reversed himself and would back Democrats' sweeping spending plan after all. The surprise deal the West Virginia senator struck with Sen. Chuck Schumer has provided Democrats with their "best news" in weeks, notes Politico , because it means the party...
Jul 27, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Manchin Unblocks Biden's Domestic Agenda
Holdout's deal with Schumer covers climate change provisions
- Sen. Joe Manchin reached agreement with Senate Democratic leaders to support President Biden's domestic spending plan, legislation addressing health care costs, climate change, and other priorities. The deal reverses Manchin's position of two weeks ago, when he said he couldn't commit to the bill before economic data...
Joe Manchin Has COVID
Jul 25, 2022 11:05 AM CDT
Joe Manchin Has COVID
Democrat's absence will complicate Senate votes
- Sen. Joe Manchin has tested positive for COVID-19 and is experiencing mild symptoms, the West Virginia lawmaker tweeted Monday. The 74-year-old Democrat said he's fully vaccinated and boosted. "I will isolate and follow CDC guidelines as I continue to work remotely to serve West Virginians," he said....
Jul 19, 2022 1:49 PM CDT
Democrats Could Boot Manchin. Here's Why They Won't
Ultimately, they still need him to make progress ahead of midterms
- Democrats are clearly frustrated with Sen. Joe Manchin, but any serious punishment for his failure to support climate and tax provisions in President Biden's Build Back Better bill seems unlikely, reports the Hill . Stripping the West Virginia senator of his chairmanship of the Senate Energy and Natural Resources Committee...
Manchin Explains Why
He Balked on Climate Bill
Jul 15, 2022 2:47 PM CDT
Manchin Explains Why He Balked on Climate Bill
West Virginia senator worried about inflation, says he wants to see July numbers before final decision
- Joe Manchin may be the most unpopular Democrat among Democrats at the moment. Multiple outlets reported Thursday night that the West Virginia senator has torpedoed his party's hopes of pushing through legislation on climate change or tax hikes on the wealthy. On Friday, however, Manchin said reports that he...
Blow' to Democrats
Jul 15, 2022 1:45 AM CDT
Source: Manchin Delivers 'Stunning Blow' to Democrats
Democrats will likely need to decide whether to accept a far more modest package
- Sen. Joe Manchin will oppose an economic measure he’s been negotiating with Senate Majority Leader Chuck Schumer if it includes climate or energy provisions or boosts taxes on the rich or corporations, a Democrat briefed on the conversations said late Thursday, delivering a stunning blow to one of the...
Court Makes Biden's Goals
for Climate Nearly Unreachable
Jun 30, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Court Makes Biden's Goals for Climate Nearly Unreachable
President's legislation hasn't gone anywhere in Congress
- President Biden has promised other nations, as well as his own, that the US would reduce its emission of greenhouse gases by half by the end of the decade. A Supreme Court ruling Thursday may have put that goal out of reach, the
New York Times
reports. Experts said achieving...
Biden: 'Outrageous Behavior'
From SCOTUS Is 'Destabilizing'
Jun 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Biden: 'Outrageous Behavior' From SCOTUS Is 'Destabilizing'
'We have to codify Roe v. Wade,' he says
- President Biden said Thursday that it was a "mistake" for the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade—and he supports making an exception to the filibuster to deal with it. "We have to codify Roe v. Wade in the law, and the way to do that is...
'I Feel Misled'
Jun 25, 2022 9:00 AM CDT
Collins on Roe Ruling: 'I Feel Misled'
GOP senator, Dem Sen. Manchin say Kavanaugh, Gorsuch assured them this wouldn't happen
- As reaction continues to the Supreme Court's landmark decision Friday to overturn Roe v. Wade, two big names in government are expressing their unhappiness about it—partly because they feel personally bamboozled by two of the high court's conservative justices who voted with the majority. "I...
2 Tweets From Bezos on Biden,
With One Theme: 'Misdirection'
May 16, 2022 8:08 AM CDT
2 Tweets From Bezos on Biden, With One Theme: 'Misdirection'
Amazon founder goes after president on Twitter about inflation
- President Biden is well aware of the nation's current woes around inflation , and he recently pledged to make it his top domestic priority. But his thoughts on how to do so have rankled one of the world's richest men, and that man took to Twitter to tell the...
Manchin's Approval Rating
Has Jumped 17 Points
Apr 25, 2022 7:05 PM CDT
Manchin's Approval Rating Has Jumped 17 Points
Republicans give moderate Democratic senator a big popularity boost
- Sen. Joe Manchin is a popular man these days—but not so much among his fellow Democrats. According to a Morning Consult poll, the West Virginia senator's approval rating jumped from 40% to 57% in the year after President Biden took office, putting him among America's ten most...
Manchin Rejects Billionaire Tax
Mar 30, 2022 6:08 PM CDT
Manchin Rejects Billionaire Tax
That's probably the end of Biden's plan passing, though Sanders doesn't accept Manchin's veto
- Sen. Joe Manchin didn't immediately come out in opposition to President Biden's plan to place a 20% minimum income tax on billionaires—he waited almost 12 hours. Manchin doesn't like the idea of including unrealized gains on stocks and other assets, before they're sold and become...
Manchin: Way GOP Handled
Jackson Was 'Disgraceful'
Mar 29, 2022 2:56 PM CDT
Manchin: Way GOP Handled Jackson Was 'Disgraceful'
'I think she’s extremely well qualified and I think she’ll be an exemplary judge'
- Sen. Joe Manchin doesn't always agree with his Democratic colleagues, but they're on the same page when it comes to Supreme Court nominee Ketanji Brown Jackson—and the way she was treated by several Republican senators during confirmation hearings before the Senate Judiciary Committee last week. Manchin on...
Just Got a Huge Lift
Mar 25, 2022 10:21 AM CDT
Jackson's Nomination Just Got a Huge Lift
Sen. Joe Manchin, a potential swing vote, confirms his support
- Ketanji Brown Jackson is all but guaranteed to become the first Black woman on the Supreme Court, CNN reports, after Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin threw his support behind her Friday. Axios also says Manchin's move "essentially guarantees" she's in. "After meeting with her, considering her record,...
Biden Fed Nominee Withdraws
After Manchin Says No
Mar 15, 2022 6:08 PM CDT
Biden Fed Nominee Withdraws After Manchin Says No
Biden says Sarah Bloom Raskin was 'subject to baseless attacks'
: Sarah Bloom Raskin has withdrawn from consideration for a key post on the Federal Reserve's board of governors, handing Sen. Joe Manchin another win. The Democrat joined all 50 Republicans in the Senate Monday in opposition to confirming Bloom at the Fed's top banking regulator. In a...
Manchin Sketches Smaller Bill
Mar 2, 2022 6:05 PM CST
Manchin Sketches Smaller Bill
Senate Democrats hesitate, but some want any parts of Biden's original plan they can get
- After listening to President Biden's State of the Union address Tuesday night, Sen. Joe Manchin outlined his own Build Back Better plan. It's much smaller than the president's proposal, but Manchin said his is a version he and other Democrats could back, the Hill reports. Many Senate...
Pelosi Has Theory
Feb 13, 2022 1:10 PM CST
Pelosi Has Theory About Midterms
Speaker contradicts Manchin on his Build Back Better argument
- History shows the political party holding the White House nearly always loses congressional seats in midterm elections. But House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Sunday that recent history gives her hope about Democrats' prospects this year,
reports. "One of the reasons that, in part, the president’s party loses...
Feb 6, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Manchin Fine-Tunes His Labeling
Senator endorses GOP colleague Lisa Murkowski in her primary
- A frequent irritant to President Biden and much of the Democratic Party for not supporting their legislation, Sen. Joe Manchin took a shot Sunday at explaining where the misunderstanding might be. "I'm not a Washington Democrat, I'm a good old West Virginia Democrat, who likes all my...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
Boy Paralyzed in Parade Shooting Is 'Hopeless'
Liz Cheney Loses Her Primary
Autopsy Reveals 'Lengthy, Painful' Alabama Execution
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.