Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Feb 6, 2022 2:00 PM CST
Manchin Fine-Tunes His Labeling
Senator endorses GOP colleague Lisa Murkowski in her primary
- A frequent irritant to President Biden and much of the Democratic Party for not supporting their legislation, Sen. Joe Manchin took a shot Sunday at explaining where the misunderstanding might be. "I'm not a Washington Democrat, I'm a good old West Virginia Democrat, who likes all my...
Joe Manchin Says
$2T Biden Bill Is 'Dead'
Feb 1, 2022 2:22 PM CST
Joe Manchin Says $2T Biden Bill Is 'Dead'
"What Build Back Better bill?" holdout Democrat says
- Sen. Joe Manchin declared Tuesday that President Joe Biden's vast social and environment bill is "dead," using his strongest language to date to underscore that any revival of Democrats' top domestic priorities would have to arise from fresh negotiations. The remarks by the West Virginia Democrat didn'...
Bette Midler Swings Back at
West Virginia's Governor
Jan 30, 2022 5:50 AM CST
Bette Midler Swings Back at West Virginia's Governor
Jim Justice said she, other critics can kiss his bulldog's 'hiney'
Bette Midler took to Twitter to respond to West Virginia Republican Gov. Jim Justice's suggestion that she and any other critics kiss his bulldog's "hiney." The actress tweeted Friday, "BTW, here are the state rankings of all the areas and agencies for which the...
For Sinema and Manchin,
a Big Question Looms
Jan 20, 2022 10:55 AM CST
For Sinema and Manchin, a Big Question Looms
Will the Democratic party support primary challenges against them in 2024?
- Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin didn't budge on the filibuster—thus dooming voting-rights legislation —and have cemented their roles as perceived fiends among Democrats. Now the big question in regard to the Democratic senators: Will the party try to "primary" them in 2024? Chuck Schumer and other...
Voting Rights Bill Collapses
Jan 20, 2022 1:18 AM CST
Voting Rights Bill Collapses
Manchin, Sinema won't vote to change filibuster rules
- Voting legislation that Democrats and civil rights leaders say is vital to protecting democracy collapsed when two senators refused to join their own party in changing Senate rules to overcome a Republican filibuster after a raw, emotional debate, the AP reports. The outcome Wednesday night was a stinging defeat for...
Senator Says He Invited
Manchin to Join GOP
Dec 21, 2021 8:28 PM CST
Senator Says He Invited Manchin to Join GOP
Biden still hopes to get Build Back Better done
- After delivering a potentially fatal blow to President Biden's Build Back Better plan, Sen. Joe Manchin is not a popular man with his fellow Democrats—but he's gained some Republican fans. Texas GOP Sen. John Cornyn told KXAN Tuesday that he had sent the West Virginia a text...
Bette Midler Rants About
Manchin, Offends Entire State
Dec 21, 2021 10:25 AM CST
Bette Midler Rants About Manchin, Offends Entire State
Actress apologizes after calling residents of West Virginia 'poor, illiterate and strung out' in a tweet
- Very few people are happy with Joe Manchin these days, at least not in Democratic circles, and Bette Midler counts herself among them. But the 76-year-old actress and singer's recent online rant against the West Virginia senator is raising eyebrows, with many saying her slam against the state itself...
Dec 20, 2021 2:02 PM CST
Manchin: White House Did 'Inexcusable' Things
Senator blames Biden staffers for the new rift over spending plan
- Joe Manchin is firing back at the White House after a giant rift opened between them over the weekend . In an interview on West Virginia radio Monday, the Democratic senator spoke in broad terms about his decision to announce he could not support President Biden's Build Back Better plan:...
Dec 20, 2021 3:00 AM CST
Manchin Gave White House 20 Minutes' Notice: Sources
As progressives slam the senator for 'betrayal'
- Sen. Joe Manchin won't vote for President Biden's Build Back Better legislation , and the White House has already let him have it . Now, progressives in the House of Representatives are bashing the West Virginia moderate too, NBC News reports. "Today, Senator Manchin has betrayed his commitment not...
Dec 19, 2021 2:00 PM CST
White House Gives Manchin an Earful
Psaki says senator should 'be true to his word' on Build Back Better
- A few Democrats are saying there's still a chance, but the White House went ahead and let loose on Sen. Joe Manchin on Sunday, Politico reports, after he announced he'll vote against President Biden's climate and social spending bill. If the West Virginia Democrat has broken off...
Manchin Says He Won't
Vote for Build Back Better
Dec 19, 2021 10:10 AM CST
Manchin Says He Won't Vote for Build Back Better
'I just can't,' West Virginia Democrat says, possibly dooming the legislation
- There's no point in Democrats making changes to President Biden's Build Back Better legislation in hopes of winning Sen. Joe Manchin's support. The West Virginia Democrat announced Sunday that he won't vote for the bill, the Hill reports. "I cannot vote to continue with this...
Kamala Harris, Charlamagne
Scrap Over 'Real President'
Dec 18, 2021 12:40 PM CST
Kamala Harris, Charlamagne Scrap Over 'Real President'
Veep didn't take bait to slam Joe Manchin
- A talk show host suggested Joe Biden isn’t the real president—but he wasn’t referring to the “ Big Lie .” Charlamagne Tha God had a heated exchange with veep Kamala Harris on his weekly show
Tha God’s Honest Truth
Friday night, earning an admonishment from her....
Biden's Spending Bill
Could Be in Big Trouble
Dec 16, 2021 2:54 AM CST
Biden's Spending Bill Could Be in Big Trouble
President, Manchin said to be at standstill
- The $1.75 trillion spending bill passed by the House of Representatives last month faces a very uncertain future in the Senate. Sources tell media outlets including the
, CNN , and the AP that Sen. Joe Manchin continues to be the issue, remaining unconvinced regarding the cost of the...
Pelosi Says Paid Leave
Is Back in Spending Bill
Nov 3, 2021 3:25 PM CDT
Pelosi Says Paid Leave Is Back in Spending Bill
Not so fast, says Joe Manchin
- Paid family and medical leave is back in the House's version of the Democrats' domestic spending bill, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said Wednesday—but since Sen. Joe Manchin hasn't changed his position, the odds of it making it into the final bill may be slim. The paid leave...
but Party Still
Counts on Him
Nov 1, 2021 7:20 PM CDT
Manchin Rips Domestic Bill, but Party Still Counts on Him
Some Democrats sound weary but don't expect him to undermine Biden
- Don't expect Sen. Joe Manchin to support President Biden's $1.85 trillion domestic legislation, at least not yet, the West Virginia Democrat made clear in a press conference Monday. He accused members of his party of employing "shell games, budget gimmicks" to make the bill palatable, Politico...
Report: Paid Leave
Axed From Spending Bill
Oct 27, 2021 6:40 PM CDT
Report: Paid Leave Axed From Spending Bill
Sources say it was torpedoed by opposition from Manchin
- "We are not going to let one man tell millions of women in this country that they can’t have paid leave," Sen. Patty Murray said Wednesday of fellow Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin's opposition to family and medical paid leave in the party's hotly debated domestic...
Says What a Lot
Oct 26, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Joe Manchin Says What a Lot of Democrats Are Thinking
'I don't know where in the hell I belong'
- Joe Manchin might as well have "Democratic holdout" made part of his official title, and the West Virginia senator acknowledged his outlier status in two different forums:
"I'm totally out of sync with 48 other Democrats," Manchin told reporters at a dinner Monday night, per the
Pelosi Says Democrats Almost
Have a Spending Bill Deal
Oct 24, 2021 1:25 PM CDT
Pelosi Says Democrats Almost Have a Spending Bill Deal
Biden meets with Manchin in Delaware
- Asked Sunday when congressional Democrats will reach an agreement on President Biden's social safety net legislation, House Speaker Nancy Pelosi said it could be any time now. "I think we are pretty much there now," Pelosi said on CNN's
State of the Union
. "We have...
Oct 23, 2021 3:15 PM CDT
Sinema Wears Thin With Democrats
Arizona senator holds firm in opposing drug price plan, corporate tax increases
- Sen. Kyrsten Sinema's stances on two pieces of President Biden's domestic policy package are causing her fellow Democrats the most headaches: increasing corporate taxes and decreasing prescription drug prices. Both are longstanding priorities of the president's; the increase in the corporate tax is a big part of...
Biden Gets Frank About
Status of Spending Bill
Oct 22, 2021 7:05 AM CDT
Biden Gets Frank About Status of Spending Bill
Manchin, Sanders clashed in closed-door meeting on 'social economy' bill
- According to GovTrack 's 2020 report card, Sens. Joe Manchin and Bernie Sanders are 46 places apart on the politically right-to-left scale, with Manchin at 54 and Sanders at 100. Two senators tell Axios that the men were just as far apart during a heated closed-door meeting on the...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Detroit Radio Anchor Killed, His Family Injured, in Attack
Earth Isn't Ready for What We've Collected on Mars
The World Has a New Island
For Owners of Some Kias, Hyundais, an Unusual Worry
Radio Station's Move Is Bad News for Favre
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.