Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Prepare for Shutdown
Sep 23, 2021 4:05 PM CDT
White House: Prepare for Shutdown
Democrats don't have an answer to GOP threats to block lifting of debt ceiling
- Lacking a plan to avert the crisis—publicly, at least—White House officials are telling federal agencies to prepare for a government shutdown. Both parties have said it won't come to that, but Congress remains on that course. Government funding runs out on Sept. 30, the
Shutdown Looms as House
Races to Vote on Funding Bill
Sep 21, 2021 5:56 PM CDT
Shutdown Looms as House Races to Vote on Funding Bill
Dems cut $1B in 'Iron Dome' funding
- The House rushed headlong Tuesday into a vote on legislation to fund the government, suspend the federal debt limit, and provide disaster and refugee aid, forcing a showdown with Republicans who oppose the package despite the risk of a fiscal crisis. The federal government faces a shutdown if funding stops...
Sign the Bill,
Dec 27, 2020 11:30 AM CST
Sign the Bill, Lawmakers Tell Trump
Congress can approve more relief later, both parties say
- Lawmakers of both parties pressed President Trump on Sunday to sign the COVID-19 relief and spending bill, after unemployment benefits for millions of Americans expired overnight. "What the president is doing right now is unbelievably cruel," said Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont. "So many people are hurting....
Late Deal Averts
a Government Shutdown
Dec 11, 2020 2:42 PM CST
Late Deal Averts a Government Shutdown
Congress gets more time, will continue working on COVID package
- Congress shipped a temporary government-wide funding bill to President Trump on Friday, averting a government shutdown at midnight and buying time for on-again, off-again talks on COVID-19 relief. The bill, which sets a new shutdown deadline of midnight next Friday, passed the Senate by a unanimous voice vote that came...
Bipartisan COVID Relief Deal
Appears to Be Doomed
Dec 11, 2020 4:44 AM CST
Bipartisan COVID Relief Deal Appears to Be Doomed
Mitch McConnell says GOP senators won't support aid to states
- An emerging $900 billion COVID-19 aid package from a bipartisan group of lawmakers has all but collapsed after Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell said Republican senators won't support $160 billion in state and local funds as part of a potential trade-off in the deal. McConnell's staff conveyed to...
Trump Signs Bill
to Avoid Shutdown
Oct 1, 2020 7:06 AM CDT
Trump Signs Bill to Avoid Shutdown During Election
Federal funding ran out at midnight
- Federal funding ran out when the new fiscal year started at midnight, which would normally trigger a shutdown—but agencies waited for President Trump to return from a Minnesota rally and sign a stopgap spending bill. A similar funding lapse happened "with little consequence" for a few hours in...
House Passes Bill to Avert
Another Possible Shutdown
Sep 19, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
House Passes Bill to Avert Another Possible Shutdown
Senate expected to approve stopgap measure next week
- The House passed a short-term bill Thursday to prevent a federal shutdown when the budget year ends Sept. 30, and give lawmakers until the Thanksgiving break to negotiate and approve $1.4 trillion for federal agencies. The Senate is expected to approve the stopgap bill next week, the AP reports....
Trump Looking for
'Land Mines' in Border Deal
Feb 13, 2019 12:29 PM CST
Trump Looking for 'Land Mines' in Border Deal
Most predict he will sign it
- It's the billion-dollar-and-change question: Will President Trump sign a tentative bipartisan border deal that would allocate $1.38 billion for border fencing (he has maintained he needs $5.7 billion) and avoid a second government shutdown at midnight Friday?
reports the House has scheduled a vote for...
Negotiators Strike Deal on
Border to Avoid Shutdown
Feb 12, 2019 6:21 AM CST
Negotiators Strike Deal on Border to Avoid Shutdown
Measure has $1.4B for fences, not $5.7B for president's proposed wall
- Congressional negotiators announced an agreement late Monday to prevent a government shutdown and finance construction of new barriers along the US-Mexico border, the AP reports. Negotiators tentatively agreed to far less money for President Trump's border wall than the White House's $5.7 billion wish list, settling for...
About a Wall
Feb 11, 2019 10:05 AM CST
New Shutdown Impasse Isn't About a Wall
2 sides can't agree on number of immigrants that can be detained; deadline is Friday
- Don't look now, but the three-week reprieve that ended the recent government shutdown expires this week. If negotiators can't reach a deal before midnight Friday, a new shutdown begins, notes CNBC . What's worse, talks aren't going well . This time around, the big sticking point isn't...
Mood Sours on
Border Security Talks
Feb 10, 2019 4:30 PM CST
Mood Sours on Border Security Talks
The acting White House chief of staff issues a warning
- Bargainers clashed Sunday over whether to limit the number of migrants authorities can detain, tossing a new hurdle before negotiators hoping to strike a border security compromise for Congress to pass this coming week, the AP reports. The White House wouldn't rule out a renewed partial government shutdown if...
Stacey Abrams: 'We
Do Not Succeed Alone'
Feb 6, 2019 12:14 AM CST
Stacey Abrams: 'We Do Not Succeed Alone'
Democrat delivers powerful SOTU response
- Stacey Abrams stepped onto the biggest stage of her political career Tuesday and accused President Trump and his fellow Republicans of abandoning working Americans and fomenting partisan and cultural discord. The Georgia Democrat introduced herself to the nation months after narrowly losing her bid to become America's first black...
Joshua Trees' Recovery From
Shutdown May Take Centuries
Jan 30, 2019 10:09 AM CST
Joshua Trees' Recovery From Shutdown May Take Centuries
Slow-to-grow trees were chopped down, driven over
- Park rangers furloughed during the 35-day government shutdown are back to work at Joshua Tree National Park with plenty of damage to repair. With a sharply reduced crew at work during the shutdown, "a few vandals or people acting out of ignorance" took vehicles off road, knocked over gates...
House Dems to Force
Vote Against Shutdowns
Jan 30, 2019 5:39 AM CST
House Dems to Force Vote Against Shutdowns
GOP not happy about symbolic vote they call 'totally partisan' messaging
- House Democrats are planning to hold a vote against government shutdowns on Wednesday—a symbolic move that will do nothing to prevent another shutdown, but will force House Republicans to go on the record as being for or against shutdowns. A draft of the measure seen by Politico states that...
Shutdown's Permanent Toll
on Economy Is a Small One
Jan 28, 2019 11:00 AM CST
Shutdown's Permanent Toll on Economy Is a Small One
By year's end, GDP will be 0.02% smaller because of the shutdown
- The federal government shutdown will cause slight permanent harm to the economy—about $3 billion—according to a report Monday by the Congressional Budget Office. The report says the five-week shutdown has slowed growth in the near term but that most of the lost growth "will eventually be recovered,...
Trump: Ann Coulter
Has Become 'Very Hostile'
Jan 28, 2019 6:52 AM CST
Trump: Ann Coulter Has Become 'Very Hostile'
He says chances of border deal are less than 50/50
- A bipartisan group of 17 lawmakers has been tasked with forging a deal on border security before a three-week deal to fund the government comes to end—but President Trump isn't holding his breath. He tells the
Wall Street Journal
that he thinks the group's chances of reaching...
Pelosi: SOTU Still
Won't Be Happening
Jan 26, 2019 4:00 PM CST
Pelosi: SOTU Still Won't Be Happening
The House speaker says it's still a work in progress
- Nancy Pelosi says the State of the Union address still isn't happening Tuesday, regardless of the government shutdown being on hold. "It's not happening on 1/29," a spokesman for Pelosi tells
. A deal was reached Friday for the federal government to be reopened for...
Trump Defends Deal
as Shutdown Officially Ends
Jan 25, 2019 8:49 PM CST
Trump Defends Deal as Shutdown Officially Ends
'This was in no way a concession,' he says, adding that clock for deal is ticking
- President Trump has signed a bill that temporarily opens the federal government for three weeks, ending the longest shutdown in US history at 35 days. The White House says Trump signed the measure after the Senate and House each passed it Friday, per the AP . Trump backed down from his...
Trump Announces Deal
to End Shutdown
Jan 25, 2019 1:28 PM CST
Trump Announces Deal to End Shutdown
Pact will reopen government for 3 weeks, with money for border wall tabled for now
- The shutdown will end, at least for three weeks. President Trump announced on Friday, the 35th day of the record-long impasse, that he has reached a deal with congressional leaders to reopen the government, reports NPR . The deal includes no money for a border wall—that contentious issue will...
Today Is Not a Good Day to Fly
Jan 25, 2019 11:05 AM CST
Today Is Not a Good Day to Fly
Flights halted at LaGuardia, delayed elsewhere Friday amid government shutdown
- The government shutdown is now wreaking more havoc than ever on airports , with the FAA temporarily halting flights into New York's LaGuardia Friday morning. The agency cited a shortage of air traffic controllers for the disruption as well as for flight delays of an hour or more at several...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Sandy Hook Families Give Alex Jones Options for Paying
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.