Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Delivery Driver Took Off Helmet,
Hit Dublin Attacker With It
Nov 28, 2023 1:30 AM CST
Delivery Driver Took Off Helmet, Hit Dublin Attacker With It
Caio Benicio hailed as a hero after knife attack that injured 4
- Caio Benicio, a Brazilian immigrant, was on his motorbike working for a delivery service in Dublin last Thursday when he saw what he thought was a fight and slowed down. As he got closer, however, he saw it was a man stabbing a young girl as a woman tried to...
Wins Booker Prize
Nov 27, 2023 12:00 AM CST
Dystopian Novel Called 'Soul-Shattering' Wins Booker Prize
Paul Lynch wins for 'Prophet Song'
- Irish writer Paul Lynch won the Booker Prize for fiction on Sunday with what judges called a "soul-shattering" novel about a woman's struggle to protect her family as Ireland collapses into totalitarianism and war, the AP reports.
, set in a dystopian fictional version of Dublin, was...
Israel Summons Irish Envoy
Over 'Lost Child' Tweet
Nov 26, 2023 10:39 AM CST
Israel Summons Irish Envoy Over 'Lost Child' Tweet
Emily Hand, 9, was kidnapped by Hamas and released Saturday
- Israel's Foreign Ministry said Sunday that it would summon the Irish ambassador over a tweet celebrating the release of a 9-year-old girl from Hamas captivity, alleging the post didn't adequately condemn the militant group. Earlier in the day, the Irish prime minister lauded the release of Emily Hand,...
Riots Erupt After Children
Stabbed in Dublin
Nov 23, 2023 6:14 PM CST
Riots Erupt After Children Stabbed in Dublin
Police blame 'complete lunatic hooligan faction'
- Violent clashes broke out in central Dublin on Thursday evening, with vehicles torched and riot police attacked, after a 5-year-old girl was seriously injured in a knife attack earlier in the day that also saw a woman and two other young children hospitalized. Irish police said the girl was receiving...
5 Injured in Dublin
Nov 23, 2023 12:20 PM CST
5 Injured in Dublin Mass Stabbing
3 children among the victims of attack outside school
- At least five people, including three children, were injured in a stabbing attack in central Dublin on Thursday, authorities in the Irish capital say. Police say a 5-year-old girl was seriously injured, as was a woman in her 30s and a man in his 50s, the
Video of Snubbed Black
Gymnast Spurs Outcry, Apology
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 30, 2023 12:10 PM CDT
Video of Snubbed Black Gymnast Spurs Outcry, Apology
Ireland's sports ministry says girl at competition was 'badly let down' by being passed over
- A video showing a young Black gymnast being passed over for a medal while her white counterparts all receive one is now making the rounds, prompting an apology from Gymnastics Ireland and support from one of the biggest names in the sport. The BBC reports that the clip now circulating...
Birders in Awe
as Storm Delivers
Sep 28, 2023 11:20 AM CDT
Birders in Awe as Storm Delivers 'Uber-Rare' Species
16 North American species spotted in UK and Ireland, some for the first time
- The height of excitment in England is having your soccer team win the Premier League. Bird-watchers say the feeling is akin to what they experienced over the weekend as 16 North American bird species, blown across the Atlantic with the remnants of Hurricane Lee, arrived on British and Irish shores....
343 Trees for
Died on 9/11 Are
in Surprise Spot
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Sep 16, 2023 2:10 PM CDT
343 Trees for Firefighters Who Died on 9/11 Are in Surprise Spot
Irish nurse who worked in NYC set up County Cork garden in tribute to lost FDNY members
- On Sept. 11, 2001, 343 firefighters perished in New York City during the terror attacks on the World Trade Center. Every year, America remembers those first responders, and the thousands of others who died that day. So does a tiny town in County Cork, Ireland, thanks to Kathleen Murphy, an...
Irish Regulator Hits
TikTok With $367M Fine
Sep 15, 2023 10:07 AM CDT
Irish Regulator Hits TikTok With $367M Fine
Watchdog says social media app violated EU law on handling of children's data
- Irish eyes are not smiling on how TikTok handled children's data in the second half of 2020. After reviewing the company's procedures during that period, Ireland's data watchdog fined the social media company $367 million for breaking European Union law and issued a reprimand, the
Sinead O'Connor Heads
Home a Final Time
Aug 8, 2023 11:36 AM CDT
Sinead O'Connor Heads Home a Final Time
Crowds throng funeral procession in Irish singer's hometown of Bray, in County Wicklow
- Throngs of fans lined the streets of Sinead O'Connor's former hometown in Ireland to bid farewell to the gifted singer as her funeral procession passed by Tuesday following a private memorial service. A vintage VW camper van with rooftop speakers blasting Bob Marley's song "Natural Mystic"...
US Tourist Suffers
in Dublin Attack
Jul 20, 2023 1:05 PM CDT
US Tourist Suffers 'Life-Changing Injuries' in Dublin Attack
Man was beaten, kicked, in 'completely unprovoked' attack in city center
- Ireland's justice minister promised a "tough response" Thursday after an attack on an American tourist left the man with what police said are "life-changing injuries." The 57-year-old visitor from Washington, DC, had just left his guesthouse in central Dublin around 10:30pm Wednesday when he was...
Irish Team Decides
Soccer Friendly Wasn't
Jul 16, 2023 4:00 PM CDT
Irish Team Decides Soccer Friendly Wasn't
After shortened match, Colombia player mocks complainers over 'one little foul'
- A soccer friendly between the Colombia and Republic of Ireland women's teams was called after 20 minutes when the Irish side said its players "feared for their bodies." Denise O'Sullivan, an Irish midfielder, was taken to a hospital after a violent challenge, the
reports; X-rays showed...
Two Irish Teens Die Separately
on Same Greek Island
Jul 3, 2023 2:14 PM CDT
Two Irish Teens Die Separately on Same Greek Island
One fell, the other collapsed after hearing news of his friend
- Two Irish teenagers celebrating graduation with their fellow classmates on a Greek island died hours apart in separate incidents, reports the
. Andrew O'Donnell and Max Wall were both 18 and celebrating the end of the equivalent of high school with friends on the island of Ios. O'...
Heart Attacks More Likely
on the Day You Might Suspect
Jun 18, 2023 4:35 PM CDT
Heart Attacks More Likely on the Day You Might Suspect
NBD, just another reason to hate Mondays
- Researchers have found yet another reason to dislike Mondays: Serious heart attacks are more likely to occur on this day, according to evidence presented recently at the British Cardiovascular Society conference. Doctors from the Belfast Health and Social Care Trust and the Royal College of Surgeons in Ireland analyzed data...
Ireland Gets Aggressive
on Alcohol Warnings
May 22, 2023 4:37 PM CDT
Ireland Gets Aggressive on Alcohol Warnings
Nation to require blunt warnings about health risks such as cancer
- Ireland may be the butt of endless jokes about heavy drinking, but the nation has just approved aggressive new labeling rules that are anything but amusing to alcohol suppliers. Starting in three years, the nation will require stark health warnings on alcoholic beverages, reports NPR . The warnings also will have...
At Shrine, Biden Sees Priest
Who Gave His Son Last Rites
Apr 14, 2023 5:30 PM CDT
At Shrine, Biden Sees Priest Who Gave His Son Last Rites
President was unaware the Rev. Frank O'Grady was reassigned to Ireland
- President Biden was moved to tears on Friday during a stop at a Catholic shrine in Ireland when he discovered that a chaplain working there had performed last rites on his late son Beau Biden. "It was incredible to see him," Biden said later during remarks at the...
Visiting Ireland, Biden
Makes Himself at Home
Apr 13, 2023 7:10 PM CDT
Visiting Ireland, Biden Makes Himself at Home
In addressing lawmakers, president stresses cooperation and leans on UK
- President Biden linked Ireland and the US repeatedly as he wrapped up his visit on Thursday, talking of the roles the two nations must play while emphasizing that he felt like he belongs in the land of his ancestors. "I'm not going home," he said, per the...
Biden: 'I Don't Know Why
My Ancestors Left Here'
Apr 12, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Biden: 'I Don't Know Why My Ancestors Left Here'
Crowds welcome president to Ireland
- President Biden returned Wednesday to his ancestral home of Ireland, where he was greeted by thousands of cheering people who lined up four and five deep and endured an hourslong wait in the cold rain in hopes of getting a glimpse, a photo, or even the slightest touch from him....
Biden Arrives in Belfast
Apr 11, 2023 6:05 PM CDT
Biden Arrives in Belfast
President is on 4-day trip to island of Ireland
- President Biden arrived in Belfast Tuesday night amid heavy security at the start of a four-day visit to the island of Ireland. The president was greeted by Prime Minister Rishi Sunak at Belfast International Airport, the BBC reports. Biden plans to spend a day in Northern Ireland to mark the...
Baby Turtle Survives
Treacherous 4K-Mile Swim
Feb 24, 2023 4:40 PM CST
Baby Turtle Survives Treacherous 4K-Mile Swim
Croga, which means 'brave' in Irish, drifted far off course, from Miami to Ireland
- A father taking a stroll with his two daughters along the Irish coastline stumbled across what one expert is now calling an "absolute miracle." The
reports that the family was walking on the shore of the northwestern Mullet Peninsula in County Mayo when they came across...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.