Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
House Jan. 6 Panel Issues
5 Unprecedented Subpoenas
May 12, 2022 12:44 PM CDT
House Jan. 6 Panel Issues 5 Unprecedented Subpoenas
Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy and four other House Republicans get them
- House investigators said Thursday they have issued subpoenas to House Republican Leader Kevin McCarthy and four other GOP lawmakers as part of their probe into the Capitol riot, an extraordinary step that has little precedent and is certain to further inflame partisan tensions over the 2021 violence, per the AP...
In Leaked Audio,
'Takes Too Long'
May 5, 2022 6:57 AM CDT
In Leaked Audio, McCarthy Says 25th Amendment 'Takes Too Long'
He discussed reaching out to Biden in Jan. 8, 2021 call with GOP leadership
- House GOP leader Kevin McCarthy was apparently looking into ways to remove then-President Trump in a hurry days after the Capitol riot, according to leaked audio provided to CNN . In a Jan. 8, 2021 call with House GOP leadership, McCarthy said the 25th Amendment "takes too long." "...
a 'Coup' Joke
May 1, 2022 9:02 AM CDT
Biden Makes a 'Coup' Joke at Annual Media Dinner
President roasts himself, Trump, the media at White House correspondents' event
- The White House press corps' annual gala returned Saturday night along with the roasting of Washington, the journalists who cover it, and the man at the helm: President Biden. The White House Correspondents’ Association dinner, sidelined by the pandemic in 2020 and 2021, featured Biden as the first president in...
Billboards in Home District
Call McCarthy a Liar
Apr 28, 2022 12:58 PM CDT
Billboards in Home District Call McCarthy a Liar
Conservative anti-Trump group goes after the House minority leader after leaked audio
- In Congress, Kevin McCarthy appears to be weathering controversy over leaked audio clips that reveal he disparaged then-President Trump and some of Trump's most fervent supporters in the aftermath of the Capitol riot. In his home district in California, however, the House minority leader is enduring a public backlash,...
Gaetz Fires Back at McCarthy
Over New Leaked Audio
Apr 27, 2022 12:15 AM CDT
Gaetz Fires Back at McCarthy Over New Leaked Audio
He calls House GOP leader 'weak' after McCarthy criticized Gaetz's rhetoric in call
New York Times
is out with more leaked audio of Kevin McCarthy talking with fellow House Republican leaders in the immediate aftermath of the Capitol riot. In these clips, McCarthy sounds angry at some far-right members of the House—particularly Matt Gaetz and Mo Brooks—for using language he...
'a Liar and
Apr 24, 2022 4:30 PM CDT
Warren Calls McCarthy 'a Liar and a Traitor'
Republicans say House minority leader might have been thinking aloud about Trump options
- Sen. Elizabeth Warren provided assessments of both parties on Sunday, with her harshest words reserved for House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy. The California Republican had denied a report that he said he'd call on President Trump to resign days after the attack on the Capitol, per the Hill , only...
Trump on McCarthy:
'I Didn't Like the Call'
Apr 23, 2022 7:01 AM CDT
Trump on McCarthy: 'I Didn't Like the Call'
But former president says House leader made amends with a visit to Mar-a-Lago
- The powers-that-be in DC have been waiting for Donald Trump to weigh in on this week's drama surrounding Kevin McCarthy . And in his first public comments on the matter, Trump provides what might be seen as good news and bad news for the House minority leader. Trump did not...
After Talk With Trump,
McCarthy May Be OK
Apr 22, 2022 2:02 PM CDT
After Talk With Trump, McCarthy May Be OK
Ex-president does not appear to be upset with House minority leader, reports 'Washington Post'
- The headline in Politico Playbook says it all: "Is Kevin McCarthy toast?" The reference is to the revelation made by the
New York Times
that McCarthy told fellow House GOP leaders he planned to call then-President Trump and recommend he resign in the aftermath of the Capitol riot. It'...
Audio Clip on Trump Appears
to Contradict McCarthy's Claim
Apr 22, 2022 8:25 AM CDT
Audio Clip on Trump Appears to Contradict McCarthy's Claim
He talks about calling then-president after Capitol riot to recommend Trump resign
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy might be in some hot water politically over a newly released audio clip. On Thursday morning, the
New York Times
reported that McCarthy told other House GOP leaders a few days after the Capitol riot that he would call then-President Trump and encourage him to...
McCarthy Cautions Republicans
About Trying to Impeach Biden
Apr 11, 2022 7:15 PM CDT
McCarthy Cautions Republicans About Trying to Impeach Biden
House GOP leader says Democrats used impeachment for political reasons
- If Republicans win control of the House in this year's midterm elections, GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy has plans. His members will concentrate on "holding this administration accountable," he told Maria Bartiromo of Fox Business on Sunday. But McCarthy cautioned Republicans against a politically motivated impeachment of President...
Could Cost Him
Mar 30, 2022 7:30 PM CDT
Cawthorn's Orgy, Drug Accusations Could Cost Him
McCarthy lectures and warns freshman about his behavior and stories
- House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy delivered a lecture and a warning to Rep. Madison Cawthorn in a private meeting on Wednesday. The North Carolina freshman has publicly talked about being invited to an orgy by other lawmakers and seeing a colleague take cocaine, Politico reports—stories that McCarthy said have...
Says He'll Resign
Mar 26, 2022 5:00 PM CDT
Convicted Congressman Says He'll Resign
GOP's Ken Fortenberry was found guilty of lying to federal officials
: Republican Rep. Jeff Fortenberry announced Saturday that he's resigning from Congress, two days after his conviction in federal court. "Due to the difficulties of my current circumstances, I can no longer serve you effectively," he said in a statement, KETV reports. The nine-term Nebraska congressman's...
Mar 1, 2022 7:28 AM CST
McCarthy, McConnell Slam Fellow GOPers Over America First Event
'Unacceptable,' McCarthy said of Gosar, Taylor Greene's appearances at white nationalist forum
- Marjorie Taylor Greene has already received a slap on the wrist from the chairwoman of the RNC for her appearance Friday at a white nationalist conference. Now, the Georgia congresswoman—and fellow GOPer Rep. Paul Gosar, of Arizona, who appeared virtually at the America First Political Action Conference—are on...
Feb 17, 2022 7:30 PM CST
McCarthy Endorses Cheney's Opponent
Along with Trump, GOP House leader backs Harriet Hageman
- House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy on Thursday joined former President Donald Trump in endorsing Rep. Liz Cheney's opponent in upcoming Wyoming GOP primary. McCarthy is the biggest House name so far to back Harriet Hageman, the Hill reports. Party leaders have censured Cheney , and Trump has attacked her, for...
McCarthy to House
Jan. 6 Committee: Nope
Jan 13, 2022 12:19 AM CST
McCarthy to House Jan. 6 Committee: Nope
House minority leader won't be interviewed
Kevin McCarthy won't be giving the House committee probing the Jan. 6 attack on the US Capitol what it wants. The House minority leader responded quickly to a Wednesday request from the committee asking for his voluntary cooperation, saying that same day that no, he would not sit...
Only 3 Federal
Most in US
Dec 27, 2021 8:18 AM CST
Only 3 Federal Officials Viewed Favorably by Most in US
John Roberts, the Fed's Jerome Powell, and Anthony Fauci
- Gallup put the names of 11 federal officials in front of Americans in a new survey, and only three registered positive ratings from the majority of respondents. The clear No. 1 was Supreme Court Justice John Roberts (60%), followed by Fed chief Jerome Powell (53%) and Dr. Anthony Fauci...
in a Tense Call
Nov 29, 2021 4:17 PM CST
Omar, Boebert Argue Apology in a Tense Call and Afterward
Members' conversation about anti-Muslim story doesn't settle the issue
- After Rep. Lauren Boebert told an anecdote about mistaking Rep. Ilhan Omar for a terrorist , House GOP Leader Kevin McCarthy suggested the Colorado Republican call the offended Democrat and just talk it out. Boebert and Omar talked Monday, but the conversation didn't defuse the situation, the Hill reports. Afterward,...
Nov 26, 2021 3:25 PM CST
Omar Doesn't Find Boebert's Anti-Muslim Story Funny
Colorado Republican apologizes in post after video draws outrage
- Just a week after the House dealt with Rep. Paul Gosar's cartoon attack on a Democratic colleague, another Republican member has drawn outrage with an apparent joke about Rep. Ilhan Omar being a suspected terrorist. Rep. Lauren Boebert made the remark, which elicited laughter and applause, to an audience...
Companies That Comply
With Jan. 6 Inquiry
Sep 1, 2021 7:52 AM CDT
McCarthy Threatens Companies That Comply With Jan. 6 Inquiry
His own phone records could be subject to subpoena
- Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy is threatening social media and telecommunications companies that comply with the House's investigation of the Jan. 6 attack on the Capitol, while warning of a Democratic "surveillance state." The California Republican on Tuesday took issue with investigators' Monday request that more than 30...
Aug 2, 2021 6:35 AM CDT
McCarthy's Gavel Joke Sparks Calls for Resignation
He was speaking at a fundraiser about the possibility of GOP retaking House in 2022
- The Kevin McCarthy-Nancy Pelosi feud has taken on an aggressive tenor: Speaking at a Tennessee Republican Party fundraiser Saturday night, the House minority leader addressed the possibility that he may become Speaker of the House after the midterm elections. "I want you to watch Nancy Pelosi hand me that...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Anne Heche's Cause of Death Revealed
Fetterman Camp Strikes Gold With Dr. Oz's Crudite Video
After Failed Effort to Help New Orleans, Brad Pitt Settles
Lowe's Makes Big Move to Help Workers With Inflation
Traveler Receives Interesting 'Meal' After Asking for Vegan
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.