Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Debt Deal: True Market Relief,
or a 'Short-Lived Sugar High'?
May 29, 2023 8:08 AM CDT
Debt Deal: True Market Relief, or a 'Short-Lived Sugar High'?
As agreement on raising debt ceiling heads to Congress, varying thoughts on what comes next
- An agreement has been reached , at least in principle, by President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy on raising the nation's debt limit, and now the final OK is in Congress' hands. Both progressive Democrats and ultra-conservatives are already pushing back on the deal , and if Biden and McCarthy...
Biden, McCarthy Strike a Deal.
Here's What's In It
May 28, 2023 5:17 AM CDT
Biden, McCarthy Strike a Deal. Here's What's In It
Congress must still approve agreement to raise debt ceiling
- President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy have reached an agreement in principle to increase the nation’s borrowing authority and avoid a default. Negotiators are now racing to finalize the bill’s text. McCarthy said the House will vote on the legislation on Wednesday, giving the Senate time to...
Biden, McCarthy Say
They're Close to Debt Deal
May 26, 2023 5:45 AM CDT
Biden, McCarthy Say They're Close to Debt Deal
'We knew this would not be easy,' McCarthy says
- Days from a deadline, President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy are narrowing in on a two-year budget deal aiming to curb federal deficits in exchange for lifting the nation's debt ceiling and staving off an economically devastating government default. The Democratic president and Republican speaker hope to strike...
Fitch Issues Warning
on America's Credit Rating
May 25, 2023 5:07 AM CDT
Fitch Issues Warning on America's Credit Rating
Agency says move 'reflects increased partisanship' in debt limit talks
- With a potential debt default now less than a week away, Fitch Ratings has put America's AAA credit rating on negative watch, meaning a downgrade is possible. Fitch made the same move during a previous debt-limit standoff a decade ago under then-President Obama's administration. The ratings agency said...
Biden, McCarthy Call Talks
'Productive' but Inconclusive
May 22, 2023 8:30 PM CDT
Biden, McCarthy Call Talks 'Productive' but Inconclusive
Treasury Department is among those getting more nervous about default
- With the Treasury Department sounding more nervous about a default and their staffs making little progress, President Biden and House Speaker Kevin McCarthy returned to face-to-face talks for a day about raising the debt ceiling. Both pronounced their session at the White House productive when it ended Monday evening, the...
May 21, 2023 5:40 PM CDT
Biden Has Question About 14th Amendment
Yellen agrees there might be better ways to solve debt crisis
- He probably has the authority to invoke the 14th Amendment to raise the debt ceiling without congressional approval, President Biden said Sunday, but he acknowledged that could lead to problems. "The question is, could it be done and invoked in time that it would not be appealed, and as...
Debt Ceiling Talks
Hit an Impasse
May 19, 2023 12:34 PM CDT
Debt Ceiling Talks Hit an Impasse
The snag is seen as a negotiating ploy, though the clock is ticking to reach a deal
- On Thursday, House speaker Kevin McCarthy suggested high-stakes talks for a deal on the debt ceiling were going well . On Friday, a different tone: One of the Republican negotiators said talks were now on "pause" and accused the White House of "unreasonable" demands, reports the Hill . “We...
The Picture Being Painted
by Key Debt-Ceiling Players
May 17, 2023 11:00 AM CDT
The Picture Being Painted by Key Debt-Ceiling Players
Words 'confident' and 'optimistic' are getting used, but there's a ways to go
- As the clock ticks down to June 1, the president and congressional leaders continue to sound off about the likelihood of striking a deal on raising the debt ceiling. President Biden held a second Oval Office meeting with House and Senate leaders Kevin McCarthy, Hakeem Jeffries, Chuck Schumer, and Mitch...
Palestinian Event at Capitol
May 11, 2023 7:20 AM CDT
McCarthy Blocks Palestinian Event at Capitol
He accuses Tlaib of pushing 'antisemitic tropes about Israel'
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, accusing Rep. Rashida Tlaib of antisemitism, tried to block an event the Democrat had planned to sponsor at the Capitol to mark the 75th anniversary of what Arabs call the Nakba, or "the catastrophe"—the displacement or forced removal of Palestinians when the state...
Speaker McCarthy: Debt Deal
Needed Soon to Avoid Default
May 9, 2023 8:07 PM CDT
Speaker McCarthy: Debt Deal Needed Soon to Avoid Default
But he didn't see 'new movement' in talks with Biden
- President Biden and congressional leaders confronted each other on the debt limit impasse Tuesday, ending their meeting with no breakthrough but agreeing to meet again this week to try to avert the looming risk of an unprecedented government default. Speaking at the White House, Biden described the talks as "...
Align on Debt Ceiling
May 8, 2023 5:55 PM CDT
McConnell, McCarthy Align on Debt Ceiling
Senator says he told Biden to reach a deal with speaker
- Senate Republican leader Mitch McConnell has worked with President Biden before to avoid debt limit catastrophe, but he's yielding to the gentleman from California this time. McConnell told Politico he's informed the president he'll have to negotiate a solution with House Speaker Kevin McCarthy. "In the...
May 1, 2023 5:16 PM CDT
Biden Calls Meeting as Yellen Issues Default Warning
President asks congressional leaders to White House
- Unless Congress does something about the debt ceiling quickly, the federal government could run out of money to pay its bills by June 1, Treasury Secretary Janet Yellen said Monday. Her estimate adds pressure to lawmakers and President Biden to reach a deal to raise or suspend the debt limit,...
Line on Talks,
May 1, 2023 8:33 AM CDT
Biden Holds Line on Talks, but Cracks Are Emerging
Some House Democrats ask him to sit down with Kevin McCarthy on debt ceiling
- The Treasury Department will soon issue updated guidance on how long the US can keep operating before it defaults on its debt , a development that would be both unprecedented and potentially catastrophic, reports the
Wall Street Journal
. In the meantime, Axios notes that a divide is growing within the Democratic...
House GOP Passes Debt Bill,
Trying to Pressure Biden
Apr 26, 2023 5:45 PM CDT
House GOP Passes Debt Bill, Trying to Pressure Biden
Democratic leader calls package 'unconscionable'
- House Republicans passed sweeping legislation Wednesday that would raise the government's legal debt ceiling by $1.5 trillion in exchange for steep spending restrictions, a tactical victory for Speaker Kevin McCarthy as he challenges President Biden to negotiate and prevent a catastrophic federal default this summer. The bill passed...
Biden Rips GOP Priorities as
McCarthy Unveils Debt Package
Apr 19, 2023 7:15 PM CDT
Biden Rips GOP Priorities as McCarthy Unveils Debt Package
Legislation has little chance, but speaker uses plan to pressure White House
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy unveiled a sweeping package Wednesday that would raise the nation's debt limit by $1.5 trillion into next year while imposing a long list of Republican priorities. They include new spending caps, work requirements for recipients of government aid, and others that are sure to...
to Debt Talks
Apr 17, 2023 2:13 PM CDT
McCarthy Attaches Big Asterisk to Debt Talks
He demands White House cap future federal spending, accused Biden of 'hiding' on issue
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy pledged on Monday to pass legislation to raise the nation's debt ceiling—but only on condition of capping future federal spending increases at 1%—as he lashed out at President Biden for refusing to engage in budget-cutting negotiations to prevent a debt crisis. In a...
Meets With Taiwan
Chief, a 'Serious
Apr 8, 2023 8:30 AM CDT
After McCarthy Meets With Taiwan Chief, a 'Serious Warning'
China sends warships, more than 70 planes near self-ruled island in apparent retaliation for meeting
- China sent warships and dozens of fighter jets toward Taiwan Saturday, the Taiwanese government said, in retaliation for a meeting between US House Speaker Kevin McCarthy and Tsai Ing-wen, president of the self-ruled island democracy claimed by Beijing as part of its territory. The AP reports eight warships and 71...
McCarthy, Taiwan's President
Meet Despite China's Warning
Apr 5, 2023 7:20 PM CDT
McCarthy, Taiwan's President Meet Despite China's Warning
On US soil, two leaders describe nations' ties as strong, unwavering
- Risking China's wrath, House Speaker Kevin McCarthy hosted Taiwan President Tsai Ing-wen on Wednesday as a "great friend of America" in a fraught show of US support at a rare high-level, bipartisan meeting on American soil. In their public remarks, Tsai and McCarthy steered clear of calls from...
McCarthy Speaks Out on
Possible Trump Indictment
Mar 21, 2023 3:15 PM CDT
McCarthy Speaks Out on Possible Trump Indictment
'I think you know in your heart of hearts that this is just political'
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy is among the Republicans rallying around Donald Trump ahead of a possible indictment in the Stormy Daniels hush money case that could come as soon as Wednesday. McCarthy, speaking to reporters at a House Republican retreat in Orlando, said that the $130,000 payment was "...
House GOP on
Jan. 6 Footage
Mar 18, 2023 11:30 AM CDT
Capitol Police Lawyer Slams House GOP on Jan. 6 Footage
Attorney says Kevin McCarthy gave Tucker Carlson riot clips without police department approving them
- Tucker Carlson aired video from the Jan. 6 Capitol attack on his Fox News program earlier this month, courtesy of more than 40,000 hours of Capitol Police security footage handed over to him by Republican House Speaker Kevin McCarthy—what the
says was a "condition" Carlson...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
No Shutdown: Congress' Surprise Deal Is Approved
Incurable Disease Is Plaguing Young Workers
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Overturned Truck With Toxic Cargo Causes 'Multiple' Deaths
CDC Solves Mystery of Norovirus on Hiking Trail
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.