Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Here's Why There Are
No Biden Ads on
Sep 11, 2020 1:32 AM CDT
Here's Why There Are No Biden Ads on TV Today
Presidential contender pulls them on 9/11 anniversary
- It's the 19th anniversary of the September 11 terrorist attacks, and Democratic presidential contender Joe Biden is marking the occasion by pulling all his television ads for the day. Politico says presidential contenders have long gone dark on the 9/11 anniversary, hitting a bit of a pause on their...
NYC Gives Itself
Back Its 9/11 Tribute
Aug 16, 2020 6:11 AM CDT
NYC Gives Itself Back Its 9/11 Tribute
City turns lights back on annual 'Tribute in Light,' which it had canceled amid COVID fears
- New York City has reversed course and is turning the lights back on for its annual September 11 tribute, Gov. Andrew Cuomo announced Saturday afternoon. "Honoring our 9/11 heroes is a cherished tradition. The twin towers of light signify hope, resiliency, promise and are a visual representation of #NewYorkTough,...
'Incredibly Difficult Decision'
Made on 9/11 Tribute
Aug 14, 2020 12:46 PM CDT
'Incredibly Difficult Decision' Made on 9/11 Tribute
There will be no 'Tribute in Light' this year
- The pandemic has killed many more New Yorkers than the 9/11 attacks—and officials don't want the annual commemoration of the terrorist atrocity to add to the total. Organizers say the "Tribute in Light," in which two columns of light are beamed into the sky from the...
Won't Be Read
Jul 27, 2020 4:03 PM CDT
This Year, 9/11 Names Won't Be Read
A recording will be played instead, to reduce the risk of spreading the coronavirus
- The pandemic has affected the commemoration of another painful loss of life. The families of 9/11 victims meet each year at the September 11 Memorial & Museum on the anniversary of their deaths. Someone from each family reads the name of their loved one and a tribute, a ceremony that...
She Gave Birth on 9/11. Then,
the Doctor's 'Oh, My Goodness'
Sep 13, 2019 11:44 AM CDT
She Gave Birth on 9/11. Then, the Doctor's 'Oh, My Goodness'
Newborn Christina Malone-Brown was born at 9:11pm weighing 9 pounds, 11 ounces
- A Mississippi couple welcomed a 9-pound, 11-ounce baby into the world on 9/11, at 9:11pm, the AP reports. The
reports Christina Malone-Brown was born by cesarean section at a hospital in Germantown, Tenn. Christina's father, Justin Brown, says bystanders joked his family should play the lottery....
Was This One
Sep 12, 2019 10:05 AM CDT
Among the 9/11 Tributes Was This One
New Zealand firefighters salute first responders with traditional haka dance
- All kinds of tributes took place Wednesday to mark the 18th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, but one in Auckland generated a fair share of attention. New Zealand firefighters performed a haka, a traditional Maori war dance, to salute the first responders of 9/11, reports CNN . US ambassador Scott Brown...
Trump Speaks of Something
More Powerful Than Nukes
Sep 11, 2019 12:13 PM CDT
Trump Speaks of Something More Powerful Than Nukes
President marks 9/11 anniversary at the Pentagon
- Speaking at the Pentagon to mark the 18th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, President Trump promised that if "they come back to our country, we will go wherever they are and use power the likes of which the United States has never used before." He added, per the...
18 Years Later, 'Life
Won't Let Us Forget'
Sep 11, 2019 6:03 AM CDT
18 Years Later, 'Life Won't Let Us Forget'
Commemorations for 9/11 are being held Wednesday in NYC, DC, and Pennsylvania
- Americans are commemorating 9/11 with mournful ceremonies, volunteering, appeals to "never forget," and rising attention to the terror attacks' extended toll on responders. A crowd of victims' relatives is expected at Ground Zero on Wednesday, while President Trump is scheduled to join an observance at the Pentagon, per...
He Wanted Revenge for
Brother's 9/11 Death,
Found Something Else
Sep 11, 2018 12:20 PM CDT
He Wanted Revenge for Brother's 9/11 Death, Found Something Else
It's been 17 years to the day
- As the US remembers the 9/11 attacks that took place 17 years ago, the
Louisville Courier Journal
relays the remarkable story of a young girl's note to those helping in the aftermath. Emily Ernspiker, then a 7-year-old in Kentucky, donated a pair of work gloves that made their way...
Trump Pays Tribute
to Victims, Heroes of 9/11
Sep 11, 2018 10:55 AM CDT
Trump Pays Tribute to Victims, Heroes of 9/11
Ceremonies in New York City, Washington, Pennsylvania
- President Trump marked the 17th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks on Tuesday with a speech at the memorial where one of the planes went down in Shanksville, Pa. "America's future is not written by our enemies," said Trump, per CBS News . "America's future is written...
Trump Will Mark
Sep 11, 2018 3:58 AM CDT
Trump Will Mark 9/11 Anniversary in Pennsylvania
President, Melania will visit Flight 93 memorial
- President Trump is marking 17 years since the worst terrorist attack on US soil by visiting the Pennsylvania field that became a 9/11 memorial. Trump and his wife, Melania, will participate in Tuesday's somber remembrance in Shanksville. It's where hijackers crashed a California-bound commercial airliner on Sept. 11,...
Could 9/11 'Architect'
Die Before Trial?
Sep 11, 2017 1:30 PM CDT
Could 9/11 'Architect' Die Before Trial?
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed is at Gitmo, awaiting his 25th pretrial hearing
- People around the US on Monday paused to remember the victims of 9/11 on the 16th anniversary of the attacks. In Shanksville, Pa., for instance, Vice President Mike Pence gave a particularly personal tribute to those aboard Flight 93. Here's a sampling of some of the related coverage on...
Sep 11, 2017 12:19 PM CDT
Mike Pence: Flight 93 Heroes Saved My Life
VP recalls 'longest 12 minutes of my life' on 9/11 anniversary
- VP Mike Pence paid homage to the "heroes of Flight 93 " Monday during a ceremony in Shanksville, Pa., but his speech had an unusually personal note: He thinks the passengers who brought down the plane on Sept. 11, 2001, saved his life. Pence recalled being a new member...
at 8:46am at
Sep 11, 2017 8:21 AM CDT
Bells Tolled at 8:46am at Ground Zero
Ceremonies remember 9/11 victims at 3 locations
- Victims' relatives, survivors, and rescuers are observing the 16th anniversary of the Sept. 11 attacks at Ground Zero. Monday's commemoration began with a moment of silence and tolling bells at 8:46am, the moment a plane slammed into the World Trade Center's north tower, per the AP . Victims'...
Sep 11, 2016 1:09 PM CDT
15 Years After 9/11, America Remembers
How Bush spent the 8 hours after the planes hit, and other Sept. 11 coverage
- Fifteen years ago on a clear autumn morning, Americans watched as planes turned into weapons, buildings came crashing down, and a national innocence was shattered. A look around the landscape as America pays tribute to the 15th anniversary of the 9/11 attacks :
Speaking at the Pentagon ceremony, President Obama paid
Left 9/11 Ceremony Early
Sep 11, 2016 11:34 AM CDT
'Overheated' Clinton Left 9/11 Ceremony Early
Candidate is 'feeling much better now,' says her campaign
- Hillary Clinton mysteriously vanished from Sunday morning's 9/11 observances at ground zero after about an hour and a half, causing no shortage of tongues to wag about a "medical emergency." Clinton's camp was silent initially, then responded with this statement, reports CNN : "Secretary Clinton attended...
15 Years Later,
Bells Toll at Ground Zero
Sep 11, 2016 8:03 AM CDT
15 Years Later, Bells Toll at Ground Zero
Somber anniversary is being marked in New York, DC, Shanksville
- The commemoration of the 15th anniversary of 9/11 began at ground zero Sunday with a moment of silence and tolling bells at 8:46am, the time when a terrorist-piloted plane slammed into the World Trade Center's north tower, reports the AP . After the silence, victims' relatives began reading the...
America Prepares to Mark
15 Years Since 9/11
Sep 10, 2016 9:29 AM CDT
America Prepares to Mark 15 Years Since 9/11
'America will never give in to fear'
- America is preparing to mark 15 years since one of the most devastating days in its history. Ahead of Sunday's anniversary of the 9/11 attacks, the
New York Times
spoke to Judge Alvin K. Hellerstein, who oversaw civil lawsuits filed by the family members of dozens of 9/11 victims....
9/11 Predated Facebook, and That Might Be a Good Thing
Sep 11, 2014 12:35 PM CDT
9/11 Predated Facebook, and That Might Be a Good Thing
Gabrielle Birkner: Digital mourning doesn't always cut it
- The 9/11 attacks took place years before the dawn of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, and the iPhone, which is why Gabrielle Birkner's memories of New York City in the aftermath are so "tactile" and "analog," she writes at Quartz . She remembers the posters of missing people posted...
Sep 11, 2014 9:22 AM CDT
9/11 Ceremony Endures at Transformed Ground Zero
Families remember loved ones in 'revitalized' Lower Manhattan
- Bagpipes opened the ceremony marking the 13th anniversary of Sept. 11, 2001, today in Manhattan,
reports, but in a place transformed by the years. The National September 11 Memorial & Museum sits at the spot where thousands gather to honor the fallen, as the nearly finished One World...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.