Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
It Could Have Been,
Jun 1, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
'Mongolian Rhapsody'? It Could Have Been, Apparently
Apparently alternate title appears in papers of Freddie Mercury's to be auctioned off
- It seems "Bohemian Rhapsody" may have almost been "Mongolian Rhapsody." An early draft of the epic, iconic Queen song shows the words "Mongolian Rhapsody" written near the top by Freddie Mercury, who then crossed out "Mongolian" and replaced it with "Bohemian." The page...
Hits Big Milestone on YouTube
Jul 22, 2019 10:45 AM CDT
'Bohemian Rhapsody' Hits Big Milestone on YouTube
Becomes the first music video released prior to the 1990s to garner more than 1B views
- We all know "Bohemian Rhapsody" is a timeless classic, and a new milestone for the song proves just how unendingly popular it really is: Queen's 1975 hit just became the oldest music video to garner more than a billion views on YouTube, Fox News reports. It's the...
Opens in China,
With a Big Difference
Mar 26, 2019 7:24 AM CDT
Opens in China, With a Big Difference
Gay scenes bit the dust
was released in China last week, but Chinese audiences saw a shorter movie than American ones: The country's censors axed references to homosexuality in the Freddie Mercury biopic, the BBC reports. The deleted scenes include the moment when Mercury, played by Rami Malek, comes out to his...
The Brits Say 'No'
to Accused Filmmaker
Feb 6, 2019 6:30 PM CST
The Brits Say 'No' to Accused Filmmaker
Bryan Singer loses his 'Best Director' BAFTA nomination
- The British equivalent of the Oscars will be held Sunday in London as planned, with one change: Bryan Singer's nomination is no more, the BBC reports. The
nom has been suspended by the British Academy of Film and Television Arts in response to sexual assault...
Director's Trouble Costs
Jan 25, 2019 12:40 PM CST
Director's Trouble Costs
It's out of the running for a GLAAD award after allegations against Bryan Singer
just lost out on the chance to pick up an award because of newly detailed sexual assault accusations against director Bryan Singer. Media watchdog group GLAAD has yanked the film from its best-original-film contenders, reports
. GLAAD said the recent exposé in the
documented "unspeakable harms...
Investigation Into Bryan Singer
Jan 23, 2019 10:05 AM CST
Releases Yearlong Investigation Into Bryan Singer
'A troubled man who surrounded himself with vulnerable teenage boys'
- "After the Harvey Weinstein news came out, everyone thought Bryan Singer would be next." So one "prominent actor" told Alex French and Maximillian Potter for the
in regard to the director. Next wasn't exactly right, but a giant investigation into allegations against Singer has arrived:...
Sing Along to
Jan 10, 2019 10:40 AM CST
Theatergoers Can Sing Along to
Starting Friday at 750 theaters across North America
- If you've been avoiding going to see
because you just don't think you can stop yourself from singing along, well, now's your chance. Starting Friday, you'll be able to attend a sing-along screening of the Queen biopic, which just won best picture at the...
After 43 Years,
a New Honor for
Queen's Iconic Hit
Dec 11, 2018 12:58 PM CST
After 43 Years, a New Honor for Queen's Iconic Hit
'Bohemian Rhapsody' becomes most-streamed song out of 20th century
- Queen's " Bohemian Rhapsody " came out in 1975, but it just earned a new honor. The song passed 1.6 billion global streams, according to label Universal Music Group, making it the most streamed song out of the 20th century. The count includes streams on Spotify, Apple Music,...
Disney Rolls Out a Bomb
Nov 4, 2018 11:11 AM CST
Rocks, While Disney Rolls Out a Bomb
Queen biopic snatches $50M in debut despite lukewarm reception
- Critics may have yawned , but audiences let
rock them—to the tune of a box office-winning $50 million in its opening weekend. That's enough to notch the No. 2 opening ever for a music biopic, notes
Straight Outta Compton's
$60.2 million. CNN...
Despite Star's 'Pixie Dust'
Nov 2, 2018 10:38 AM CDT
Disappoints Despite Star's 'Pixie Dust'
Rami Malek is 'phenomenal,' the film not so much
- The trailer may have rocked you , but critics aren't sure you'll be floored by
itself. The Queen biopic, led by Rami Malek as Freddy Mercury, is a letdown for some critics, while others wonder if director Bryan Singer's sudden exit before the film's completion...
for Sick Parent
Got Me Fired
Dec 5, 2017 6:32 AM CST
Queen Biopic Director: Caring for Sick Parent Got Me Fired
20th Century Fox to name new director of 'Bohemian Rhapsody'
- Bryan Singer, the director who faced allegations of sexual assault before the dawn of the #metoo movement, has been fired from Queen biopic
. In announcing the dismissal Monday, 20th Century Fox blamed the "unexpected unavailability" of Singer, noting production had come to a halt on Dec. 1....
DUI Suspect Sings
IN CASE YOU MISSED IT
Apr 1, 2012 7:00 PM CDT
DUI Suspect Sings 'Bohemian Rhapsody'
Canada's Robert Wilkinson belts it out a cappella in cop car
- Instant classic. A YouTube video of 29-year-old Robert Wilkinson of Alberta, Canada, singing "Bohemian Rhapsody" in the back of a police cruiser easily qualifies. Wilkinson had just been pulled over on suspicion of drunken driving, reports the Smoking Gun . Police gave Wilkinson the video as part of his still-pending...
Popular on Newser
Elon Musk Lashes Out at Disney CEO Bob Iger
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
In Tiny Liechtenstein, a Prince Dies 'Unexpectedly'
She Turned to Podcasters Over Sister's Killing. It Ended Badly
'80s Power Ballad Bands Are Going On Tour Together
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.