Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
United Arab Emirates
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Latest Airstrike, Calls
for End to Israeli 'War Crimes'
Nov 1, 2023 6:32 AM CDT
After Latest Airstrike, Calls for End to Israeli 'War Crimes'
Arab nations condemn Israeli strike on refugee camp as groups claim use of white phosphorus
- Dozens of people entered the Rafah crossing from Gaza to Egypt on Wednesday in what appeared to be the first time foreign passport holders have been allowed to leave the besieged territory since the start of the Israel-Hamas war more than three weeks ago, the AP reports. Egyptian state-run media...
After Sanctions, Most
Russian Gold Went
to One Country
May 25, 2023 10:15 AM CDT
After Sanctions, Most Russian Gold Went to One Country
Experts say it may be finding its way to Western markets from UAE with its origin masked
- There's gold in them thar Emirates—and there's a lot more of it now that Western sanctions have blocked exports from Russia to London and other major gold trading hubs. Reuters reports that, according to Russian export records, some 75.7 metric tons of Russian gold worth $4....
No One Has Ever Spent
This Much on a License Plate
Apr 12, 2023 3:23 PM CDT
No One Has Ever Spent This Much on a License Plate
It's a new world record out of the UAE
- An auction bidder in the United Arab Emirates just made history in paying $15 million for a license plate—and no, it doesn't come with a fancy car attached. The unnamed individual likely to find their name in the Guinness World Records book nabbed a license plate reading "...
a New Ruler
May 14, 2022 5:30 AM CDT
United Arab Emirates Has a New Ruler
Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahya takes over after brother Sheikh Khalifa dies
- Rulers in the United Arab Emirates announced Saturday that they unanimously appointed Sheikh Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan as the president of this hereditarily ruled nation on the Arabian Peninsula. The state-run WAM news agency said the rulers of the country's seven sheikhdoms made the decision at a meeting...
Dubai Leader Loses Custody
Battle Over 'Exorbitant' Abuse
Mar 26, 2022 10:15 AM CDT
Dubai Leader Loses Custody Battle Over 'Exorbitant' Abuse
Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum isn't allowed direct contact with kids, either, per UK judge
- First Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum was ordered to pay hundreds of millions of dollars to his ex, in what was said to be the largest divorce settlement the UK has ever seen. Now, another victory for Princess Haya Bint Al Hussein, the half sister of King Abdullah II...
World's Most Expensive Fossil
Mar 24, 2022 12:50 PM CDT
World's Most Expensive Fossil Vanished.
Stan the T. rex has been hiding in UAE, getting ready to be displayed in Abu Dhabi museum
- When one of the largest and most complete
fossils ever found sold at a Christie's auction for $31.8 million in October 2020, experts worried the 39-foot-long specimen would be lost to the public, and to research. That prompted
to go looking for Stan, as...
Rare Drone Attack
Kills 3 in Abu Dhabi
Jan 17, 2022 4:33 PM CST
Rare Drone Attack Kills 3 in Abu Dhabi
Yemeni Houthi rebels claim responsibility
- A rare attack in the United Arab Emirates killed at least three people Monday and the commander of American forces at a nearby base says they are ready to assist UAE authorities if needed. Authorities say that in a drone attack claimed by Yemen's Houthi rebels, three tanker trucks...
Divorce Settlement Is Largest
UK Courts Have Ever Seen
Dec 21, 2021 7:11 AM CST
Divorce Settlement Is Largest UK Courts Have Ever Seen
Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, ruler of Dubai, must pay Princess Haya, kids $737M
- The ruler of Dubai has just been told to pony up some big bucks to his ex, in what Bloomberg reports is "the largest financial award the UK family courts have ever seen." In total, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum, who's also the prime minister of...
Saudi Activist Sues
Aided UAE Hacking
Dec 10, 2021 4:05 PM CST
Saudi Activist Sues Americans Who Aided UAE Hacking
Loujain al-Hathloul, who led push for women to drive, was imprisoned and tortured
- Three former US intelligence and military officers have admitted in a separate case that they helped the United Arab Emirates with hacking operations. Now they're being sued by a Saudi women's rights activist who says the assistance of the three men led to her iPhone being hacked by...
Mideast Nation Shifts
Its Workweek by a Day
Dec 7, 2021 8:21 AM CST
Mideast Nation Shifts Its Workweek by a Day
United Arab Emirates moves to a Monday-Friday schedule, aligned with the West
- The United Arab Emirates said Tuesday its official workweek will move to Monday to Friday, a significant change that brings the Islamic nation home to major financial institutions in line with Western schedules, per the AP . The decision, which is to take effect next month, makes the Gulf Arab federation...
of Interpol Has
Nov 25, 2021 6:43 AM CST
New Head of Interpol Has Been Accused of Torture
Ahmed Nasser al-Raisi of the United Arab Emirates will serve a 4-year term
- "The #INTERPOLGA has elected Ahmed Nasser al-Raisi of the United Arab Emirates as the Organization’s new President." The Thursday tweet would be a typical update for Interpol, whose elected presidents serve a four-year term, except for the fact that al-Raisi has been accused of torture in five...
Oct 29, 2021 1:01 PM CDT
World's Tallest Tower, Meet World's Tallest Ferris Wheel
You can see the Burj Khalifa from UAE's new 820-foot-tall Ain Dubai, or 'Dubai Eye'
- If you're in Dubai anytime soon, have at least 40 minutes to spare, and don't have a terrible fear of heights, there's at least one attraction there that might pique your interest. The Ain Dubai ("Dubai Eye"), the world's tallest Ferris wheel, is now...
by Dubai's Ruler
Oct 7, 2021 1:33 AM CDT
Princess Haya's Phone Hacked by Dubai's Ruler
So finds the UK's high court
- Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum, the ruler of Dubai, had the phones of his ex-wife, Princess Haya bint al-Hussein, and her lawyers hacked, the UK's high court ruled Wednesday. Haya, the daughter of Jordan's late King Hussein, fled Dubai for Britain in 2019 with the sheikh's two children,...
Jul 23, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Dubai Tires of Waiting for Rainfall
Project brings downpours in UAE by hitting clouds with electrical charges
- The recent downpours in the United Arab Emirates seemed a little unreal; the country only receives about 4 inches of rain per year. It turns out they weren't quite natural: Scientists have hit clouds with electronic charges to force rainfall during a heat wave that's often pushed temperatures...
Chair of Trump's Inauguration
Jul 20, 2021 6:16 PM CDT
Chair of Trump's Inauguration Committee Arrested
Tom Barrack accused of acting as agent for UAE
- Tom Barrack, the longtime friend of Donald Trump who advised the former president's 2016 campaign and led his inaugural committee, was a better friend to the United Arab Emirates, prosecutors say. The 74-year-old was arrested Tuesday and charged with secretly acting as an agent for the UAE, Politico reports....
Huge Blast Shakes Dubai
Jul 7, 2021 5:15 PM CDT
Huge Blast Shakes Dubai
Officials say it was caused by fire on container ship
- A massive blast on a container ship in Dubai Wednesday night was felt across the city and sent a huge fireball into the sky. CNN personnel in the emirate say the explosion was felt more than 10 miles from the Jebel Ali Port , which is the biggest in the region...
UNESCO's Plan to Rebuild From
ISIS Doesn't Go Over Well
Jun 28, 2021 8:49 AM CDT
UNESCO's Plan to Rebuild From ISIS Doesn't Go Over Well
Critics of Mosul landmark getting rebuilt after ISIS destruction say plan ignores Iraq's heritage
- A UNESCO competition to rebuild devastated landmarks in one of the world's oldest cities isn't going over well. The UN agency launched its "Revive the Spirit of Mosul" project after the Islamic State occupied the Iraqi city from 2014 to 2017, wreaking havoc on its heritage sites,...
UN Says Proof Princess Is
Alive Is 'Urgently Required'
Apr 20, 2021 6:11 PM CDT
UN Says Proof Princess Is Alive Is 'Urgently Required'
Human rights experts call for 'immediate release' of Dubai's Princess Latifa
- United Nations human rights experts say they have repeatedly asked Dubai for proof that Princess Latifa bint Mohammed Al Maktoum, the ruler's daughter, is alive—and they have received only a statement that she is being "cared for at home." In a statement issued Tuesday, the UN...
UN Wants 'Proof of Life'
for Missing Princess
Apr 12, 2021 1:29 AM CDT
UN Wants 'Proof of Life' for Missing Princess
Concern grows for Princess Latifa
- The UN said Friday it is concerned that it has not received proof of life for Princess Latifa bint Mohammed Al Maktoum, the missing daughter of the ruler of Dubai who has not been heard from in six months, friends tell the
. Secret recordings she made were released in...
Update on Missing Dubai
Princesses Has Cops Involved
Feb 25, 2021 10:29 AM CST
Update on Missing Dubai Princesses Has Cops Involved
Before she went silent, 'hostage' Princess Latifa urged help for her sister, Princess Shamsa
- Princess Shamsa, a daughter of Dubai's ruler, was 18 when she fled from her father's estate in Surrey, England, in 2000. She was nabbed on a street in Cambridge two months later and hasn't been seen in public since, though Cambridgeshire police are now looking into the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
She Had a Day Job as a Baker. Then Came 'Mr. Big Stuff'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.