Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Temporary Rule Change Could
End Tuberville's Blockade
Nov 10, 2023 9:09 AM CST
Temporary Rule Change Could End Tuberville's Blockade
Senate could vote on resolution next week, allowing passage of military promotions
- Senators are trying to find a way around a one-man blockade that has thwarted more than 370 military promotions this year. Sen. Tommy Tuberville has been blocking promotions for nine months to protest the Pentagon's policy of paying for travel when a service member needs an out-of-state abortion. A...
Preps for a
Sep 28, 2023 10:40 AM CDT
Kari Lake Preps for a New Fight
Republican to announce run for Arizona Senate seat next month, per 'WSJ'
- While still appealing her loss in last year's Arizona gubernatorial race, Kari Lake will mount a new fight—to snag Kyrsten Sinema's Senate seat. The former TV news anchor tells the
Wall Street Journal
that she'll launch her campaign with a rally on Oct. 10, setting up...
No, I Won't
May 8, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Kyrsten Sinema: No, I Won't Join GOP
Senator, newly independent, says she's done with 2-party system
- Kyrsten Sinema has no more interest in becoming a Republican than she had in remaining a Democrat, apparently. Asked on
Face the Nation
Sunday whether, now that the former Democrat is an independent , there's any chance she'll someday join the GOP, the senator said no, Politico reports. "...
Flipped Ron Klain
Mar 23, 2023 11:07 AM CDT
Report: Sinema Slammed Schumer, Flipped Ron Klain the Bird
Sources also tell Politico that independent Arizona senator called Dems 'old dudes eating Jell-O'
- Some have begun to speculate that yes, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema might be able to pull off a reelection win in Arizona if she runs, using her new "independent" status to siphon off independent voters and moderate Republican voters from her opponents. It looks like those are the voters she...
Jan 23, 2023 10:35 AM CST
Democrats Now Face Tough Choice in Arizona
Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego will challenge newly independent Sen. Kyrsten Sinema
- About a month after Kyrsten Sinema surprised Washington by leaving the Democratic party to become an independent, a big consequence: Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego said Monday that he planned to run for her Senate seat in Arizona in 2024, reports the Hill . His move sets up a likely three-way race...
Report Details 'Onerous'
Rules for Sinema Staffers
Dec 22, 2022 10:15 AM CST
Report Details 'Onerous' Rules for Sinema Staffers
Daily Beast has instructions that cover everything from senator's eating schedule to travel 'minefield'
- Kyrsten Sinema, the senator from Arizona who announced earlier this month that she's leaving the Democratic Party to register as an independent, "stands apart" from other senators who've taken a similar route, per Intelligencer , which dives into the ways she differs from those party-switching counterparts. The Daily...
Reporter Stumbles Onto
Kyrsten Sinema's 'Side Hustle'
in case you missed it
Dec 18, 2022 4:20 PM CST
Reporter Stumbles Onto Kyrsten Sinema's 'Side Hustle'
Arizona senator is an active seller of clothes, athletic gear on Facebook Marketplace
- A post at Slate by writer Christina Cauterucci declares in its headline, "I think I found Kyrsten Sinema's side hustle." That side hustle: The Arizona senator, newly independent , is an active seller of hand-me-down designer clothes and used athletic gear at Facebook Marketplace. For example, Cauterucci bought...
May Be About 2024
Dec 9, 2022 3:38 PM CST
Sinema's Switch May Be About 2024
Some reasons for party change aren't clear, but she'd have little help from Democrats back home anyway
- The search for answers and future fallout from Sen. Kyrsten Sinema's decision to leave the Democratic Party has turned up plenty of possibilities. Democratic leaders in Washington refrained from bashing her decision, hoping to keep her voting with them. Democrats in Arizona, who invested in her 2018 campaign and...
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's
Leaving Democratic Party
Dec 9, 2022 6:10 AM CST
Kyrsten Sinema Says She's Leaving Democratic Party
'I’ve never fit neatly into any party box,' says Arizona senator
- Days after Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock won the runoff election in Georgia, the 51-49 majority the party was expecting in Congress is looking shakier. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema tells CNN that she is leaving the Democratic Party and registering as an independent. The Arizona senator declined to say whether she would...
$1M Haul, Then
Killed Tax Hike on
Aug 13, 2022 11:30 AM CDT
Sinema Received $1M Haul, Then Killed Tax Hike on Rich Investors
AP: Ariz. Dem saw big influx of cash over last year from private equity firms, hedge fund managers
- Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, the Arizona Democrat who single-handedly thwarted her party's longtime goal of raising taxes on wealthy investors, received nearly $1 million over the past year from private equity professionals, hedge fund managers, and venture capitalists whose taxes would've increased under the plan, per an AP review...
Sinema Put Manchin
in Role of Protecting Bill
Aug 8, 2022 7:25 PM CDT
Sinema Put Manchin in Role of Protecting Bill
Differences on taxes were resolved, allowing passage, though it wasn't easy
- Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin and Majority Leader Chuck Schumer negotiated for months on the climate change, health care, and tax legislation that passed the Senate on Sunday. When they finally reached an agreement, they still weren't finished. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema had been left out of the talks, and she...
Schumer Have a
Deal on Big Bill
Aug 5, 2022 2:42 AM CDT
Surprise: Sinema, Schumer Have a Deal on Big Bill
Talks had been expected to drag on for days longer
- Senate Democrats have agreed to eleventh-hour changes to their marquee economic legislation, they announced late Thursday, clearing the major impediment to pushing one of President Joe Biden’s paramount election-year priorities through the chamber in coming days. Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, D-Ariz., a centrist seen as the pivotal vote in the...
Jul 31, 2022 10:35 AM CDT
Sinema Won't Block GOP Changes to Climate Bill
Democrats, including Manchin, worry about winning Arizona senator's vote
- Sen. Joe Manchin isn't sure that his frequent fellow Democratic holdout, Sen. Kyrsten Sinema, will support the legislative agreement he struck with their majority leader last week, either. Sinema has made no promises, Axios reports, which has her party worried. Democrats need all of their 50 Senate votes to...
Jul 28, 2022 12:29 PM CDT
After Manchin Surprise, All Eyes on Sinema
Arizona senator is still mum on potential breakthrough for Democrats
- Joe Manchin stunned DC Wednesday by announcing that he had reversed himself and would back Democrats' sweeping spending plan after all. The surprise deal the West Virginia senator struck with Sen. Chuck Schumer has provided Democrats with their "best news" in weeks, notes Politico , because it means the party...
Biden: 'Outrageous Behavior'
From SCOTUS Is 'Destabilizing'
Jun 30, 2022 10:45 AM CDT
Biden: 'Outrageous Behavior' From SCOTUS Is 'Destabilizing'
'We have to codify Roe v. Wade,' he says
- President Biden said Thursday that it was a "mistake" for the Supreme Court to overturn Roe v. Wade—and he supports making an exception to the filibuster to deal with it. "We have to codify Roe v. Wade in the law, and the way to do that is...
Just Got a Huge Lift
Mar 25, 2022 10:21 AM CDT
Jackson's Nomination Just Got a Huge Lift
Sen. Joe Manchin, a potential swing vote, confirms his support
- Ketanji Brown Jackson is all but guaranteed to become the first Black woman on the Supreme Court, CNN reports, after Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin threw his support behind her Friday. Axios also says Manchin's move "essentially guarantees" she's in. "After meeting with her, considering her record,...
Social Security Number
Feb 8, 2022 1:52 AM CST
Gawker Obtains Kyrsten Sinema's Social Security Number
'National Review' sees it as a 'threat'
- Kyrsten Sinema is not exactly popular amongst her fellow Democrats right now, and amidst all the controversy she's been stirring up, Gawker used a Freedom of Information Act request to obtain her divorce papers. The Arizona senator met Blake Dain at Brigham Young University in the 1990s; they reportedly...
Sinema's $1.6M Q4 Haul
Is Feeling Some GOP Love
Feb 1, 2022 10:20 AM CST
Sinema's $1.6M Q4 Haul Is Feeling Some GOP Love
Ariz. senator sees donations from Fox News PAC, Republican 'whale' to her campaign, separate PAC
- It's no secret that, after bucking her own party on much of President Biden's agenda, Democratic Sen. Kyrsten Sinema is now bringing in cash from major GOP donors as she gears up for a reelection run in 2024. Now we know just how much, thanks to new Federal...
for Vote on
Jan 22, 2022 3:40 PM CST
Arizona Party Punishes Sinema for Vote on Filibuster
Chairwoman says voting rights are more important than Senate rules
- Three years after becoming a hero to Arizona Democrats for winning a US Senate seat long held by Republicans, Sen. Krysten Sinema was formally censured Saturday by the state party for her part in blocking voting rights legislation. The Arizona Democratic Party's executive committee cited Sinema's vote against...
For Sinema and Manchin,
a Big Question Looms
Jan 20, 2022 10:55 AM CST
For Sinema and Manchin, a Big Question Looms
Will the Democratic party support primary challenges against them in 2024?
- Kyrsten Sinema and Joe Manchin didn't budge on the filibuster—thus dooming voting-rights legislation —and have cemented their roles as perceived fiends among Democrats. Now the big question in regard to the Democratic senators: Will the party try to "primary" them in 2024? Chuck Schumer and other...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.