Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Boston Marathon bombing
Stories 1 - 20 |
Supreme Court Reinstates
Tsarnaev's Death Sentence
Mar 4, 2022 10:04 AM CST
Supreme Court Reinstates Tsarnaev's Death Sentence
Conservative majority rules Boston Marathon bomber received a fair trial
- The Supreme Court has reinstated the death sentence for convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. The justices, by a 6-3 vote Friday, agreed with the Biden administration's arguments that a federal appeals court was wrong to throw out the sentence of death a jury imposed on Tsarnaev for his...
Can Go to Victims
Jan 7, 2022 12:41 AM CST
Judge: Tsarnaev's COVID Payment Can Go to Victims
Stimulus payment can be used toward restitution, court rules
- A US District Court judge agreed to let federal prosecutors use convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's $1,400 COVID-19 stimulus payment, as well as other money held in his inmate trust account, to help pay the millions of dollars he was ordered to pay his victims, the
SCOTUS Seems to Lean
Toward Death for Tsarnaev
Oct 13, 2021 12:54 PM CDT
SCOTUS Seems to Lean Toward Death for Tsarnaev
The court heard oral arguments Wednesday
- The Supreme Court sounded ready Wednesday to reinstate the death penalty for convicted Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev. In more than 90 minutes of arguments, the court's six conservative justices seemed likely to embrace the Biden administration's argument that a federal appeals court mistakenly threw out Tsarnaev's...
Here Are the Big Cases
SCOTUS Will Hear This Term
Oct 4, 2021 11:31 AM CDT
Here Are the Big Cases SCOTUS Will Hear This Term
Abortion, gun rights, state secrets are on the docket
- The Supreme Court has begun a momentous new term, back in the courtroom after a nearly 19-month absence because of the coronavirus pandemic. Eight of the nine justices took the bench at 10am Monday for the first arguments of the new term. Justice Brett Kavanaugh is participating remotely from his...
Acts of Kindness Mark
a Painful Anniversary
Apr 15, 2021 7:05 PM CDT
Acts of Kindness Mark a Painful Anniversary
Mayor encourages smaller gestures because of the pandemic
- Boston marked eight years since the bombing at the 2013 Boston Marathon killed three people and injured scores of others on Thursday with quiet moments of reflection and small acts of kindness. Acting Mayor Kim Janey visited fire stations that had been critical in the response to the attack, as...
Court May Reinstate Boston
Bomber's Death Sentence
Mar 22, 2021 9:30 AM CDT
Court May Reinstate Boston Bomber's Death Sentence
Supreme Court agrees to consider Dzhokhar Tsarnaev case
- The Supreme Court said Monday it will consider reinstating the death sentence for Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev , presenting President Biden with an early test of his opposition to capital punishment. The justices agreed to hear an appeal filed by the Trump administration, which carried out executions of 13 federal...
He Ran Dozens of Marathons,
While Pushing His Son
Mar 18, 2021 2:04 PM CDT
He Ran Dozens of Marathons, While Pushing His Son
Dick Hoyt and son Rick gained renown at Boston races for decades
- Dick Hoyt, who inspired thousands of runners, fathers, and disabled athletes by pushing his son in a wheelchair in dozens of Boston Marathons, has died at age 80, per the AP . Hoyt died in his sleep at his Holland, Massachusetts, home on Wednesday, says his family. He had been struggling...
Boston Bomber Sues Feds
After His Hat Is Taken Away
Jan 8, 2021 8:36 AM CST
Boston Bomber Sues Feds After His Hat Is Taken Away
Tsarnaev says he is being mistreated at Supermax
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, whose terrorist attack on the Boston Marathon in 2013 took the lives of three people and caused 17 others to lose limbs, is complaining about his hat being taken away. The Supermax inmate is suing the federal government for $250,000, alleging that mistreatment has contributed to his...
Barr Announces Move
on Boston Marathon Bomber
Aug 20, 2020 7:25 PM CDT
Barr Announces Move on Boston Marathon Bomber
Justice Department will seek to reinstate the death penalty
- The Justice Department will seek to reinstate a death penalty for Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, who was convicted of carrying out the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, Attorney General William Barr said Thursday. Barr said the Justice Department would appeal the court’s ruling last month that tossed Tsarnaev’s death sentence and...
Boston Marathon Bomber Has
Death Sentence Overturned
Jul 31, 2020 3:02 PM CDT
Boston Marathon Bomber Has Death Sentence Overturned
New penalty-phase trial is ordered
- A federal appeals court on Friday overturned the death sentence of Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, the man convicted in the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing. A three-judge panel of the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ordered a new penalty-phase trial, finding that the judge who oversaw the case didn't sufficiently...
Boston Marathon Survivor
'Broken' After Another Setback
Jan 7, 2019 9:45 AM CST
Boston Marathon Survivor 'Broken' After Another Setback
Adrianne Haslet is struck by a car, has surgery
- She lost a leg in the Boston Marathon bombing, only to return to run the race again , as well as to dance . Now Adrianne Haslet has suffered another blow. She was hit by a car Saturday evening in Boston and already has undergone surgery, reports TMZ . "Struck by a...
Boston Bomber Appeals: Nix
Conviction, Death Sentence
Dec 28, 2018 6:11 AM CST
Boston Bomber Appeals: Nix Conviction, Death Sentence
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's lawyers say he should never have been tried in Boston
- Dzhokhar Tsarnaev's attorneys don't deny their client was behind the "heinous" 2013 Boston Marathon bombing, along with his late brother, Tamerlan Tsarnaev. But they're now appealing the 25-year-old's conviction and death sentence, arguing that publicity before the trial in Boston was so prevalent and "...
Tsarnaev Tried to Make a Deal
in Order to Save His Life
Nov 22, 2018 1:33 AM CST
Tsarnaev Tried to Make a Deal in Order to Save His Life
Boston Marathon bomber promised 'certain kinds of cooperation'
- Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev tried to make a deal to save his life but prosecutors turned him down, according to newly unsealed court documents. The documents state that in the course of plea negotiations, Tsarnaev "offered to provide certain kinds of cooperation and assistance" and a guilty plea...
Boston Globe Columnist
Suspended for Fabrications
Jun 17, 2018 3:00 PM CDT
Boston Globe Columnist Suspended for Fabrications
The Boston Globe has suspended columnist Kevin Cullen without pay for three months
has suspended columnist Kevin Cullen without pay for three months after inconsistencies were found in his remarks following the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing . Per the AP , newspaper publisher John Henry and editor Brian McGrory announced Friday an independent review found Cullen likely fabricated some anecdotes he...
Adidas Offends With
Post-Boston Marathon Email
Apr 18, 2017 4:28 PM CDT
Adidas Offends With Post-Boston Marathon Email
The company congratulated people on having 'survived' the marathon
- "Congrats, you survived the Boston Marathon." So reads the subject line of an email sent to marathon participants by Adidas on Tuesday,
reports. This was, for obvious reasons, a poor choice of subject line. And according to the
New York Daily News
, recipients of the email...
Firefighter to Marry
Survivor He Saved
Feb 1, 2017 3:38 PM CST
Firefighter to Marry Marathon Bombing Survivor He Saved
Roseann Sdoia and Mike Materia plan to wed in the fall
- Roseann Sdoia was a spectator near the finish line of the Boston Marathon in 2013 when the bombs went off. Firefighter Mike Materia was the first responder who came to her aid—and four years later, they're getting married, the
New York Post
reports. Sdoia's mom actually tried...
Jan 13, 2017 8:16 AM CST
Is 'Thoughtful' Yet 'Unnecessary'
It 'gets the job done' for the most part
- Less than four years after the real-life event, director Peter Berg has brought us Hollywood's version of the Boston Marathon bombing with
, centering on a fictional Boston police sergeant (Mark Wahlberg) whose experiences are based on the real ones of several people. Here's what critics are...
Jul 1, 2016 1:03 PM CDT
Al-Qaeda: 'Gravest Consequences' if US Executes Tsarnaev
Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was sentenced to death last year
- The leader of al-Qaeda is threatening the US with the "gravest consequences" if Boston bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is executed, the
reports. "If the US administration kills our brother the hero Dzhokhar Tsarnaev or any Muslim, [it] will bring America's nationals the gravest consequences," Ayman al-Zawahri...
Brussels Was US Teen's 3rd Terrorist Attack
Mar 22, 2016 9:05 PM CDT
Brussels Was US Teen's 3rd Terrorist Attack
Mason Wells, 19, suffered shrapnel wounds and burns
- Mason Wells, at only 19 years old, has already survived enough terrorist attacks for a lifetime. "This is his third terrorist attack," his father, Chad Wells, tells ABC News . "We live in a dangerous world and not everyone is kind and loving." Mason was one of...
Tied to Crash That
Killed Survivor of
Mar 9, 2016 9:31 AM CST
Booze, Speed Tied to Crash That Killed Survivor of Boston Bombing
Just hours after a rider in the ill-fated Ferrari promised no speeding in Dubai
- "Just landed into Dubai picked up the Ferrari! Don't worry I won't speed ;)" was Cody Nixon's final Instagram post , showing the Canadian boxer standing next to said yellow Ferrari just hours before the crash early Sunday that killed him and three others , including Boston Marathon...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
Investigation Lobs Disturbing Allegations Against Candy Giant
A 'Familiar Maternal Face on TV' Dead at 93
Morgan Names Royals Who Made Alleged Racist Comments
Chinese Chef in Hot Water Over Egg Fried Rice Video
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.