Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
After Police Chase, Golfers
Trap Suspect in Port-a-Potty
Nov 17, 2023 2:14 PM CST
After Police Chase, Golfers Trap Suspect in Port-a-Potty
Golf course in the Wisconsin city of Glendale saw a bit of excitement this week
- A run-in with law enforcement drove a suspect in Wisconsin into the stinkiest hiding place he could find—both figuratively and literally. WISN reports that police in Glendale embarked on a chase Wednesday of an SUV stolen from Minnesota, which crashed into multiple cars, traffic barrels, and a guardrail before...
of Killing Friend
With Eye Drops
Nov 14, 2023 6:35 PM CST
Woman Guilty of Killing Friend With Eye Drops
Jury finds Jessy Kurczewski guilty of homicide, theft
- A Wisconsin woman has been found guilty of killing a friend in 2018 by poisoning her with eye drops. A jury found Jessy Kurczewski, 37, guilty of one count of homicide and two counts of theft, the
Milwaukee Journal Sentinel
reports. She will face a mandatory life sentence on the...
Top Cop Addressed Reckless
Driving, Was Hit by Dump Truck
Nov 7, 2023 8:41 AM CST
Top Cop Addressed Reckless Driving, Was Hit by Dump Truck
Milwaukee's police chief Jeffrey Norman had just left a news conference about reckless driving
- Milwaukee's police chief was injured when a dump truck rammed the vehicle he was traveling in "minutes after leaving a press conference discussing reckless driving problems in the city," according to Wisconsin Public Radio . Police Chief Jeffrey Norman attended the press conference hosted by Mayor Cavalier Johnson...
Night Tradition' May
Oct 30, 2023 12:47 PM CDT
Wisconsin's 'Friday Night Tradition' May Become Official
Bill proposed by GOP lawmakers there wants brandy old-fashioned deemed the state drink
- There's a "Friday night tradition" in Wisconsin, per WISC , and it doesn't center on football. Instead, it apparently involves quaffing brandy old-fashioneds, the drink of choice for many Wisconsites, and it's a libation that may soon become the state's official cocktail. GOP lawmakers there have...
Police Kill Suspected Shooter
on Middle School Roof
Oct 24, 2023 4:50 PM CDT
Police Kill Suspected Shooter on Middle School Roof
Person was seen acting 'erratically' outside Wisconsin school
- Police in Germantown, Wisconsin say a suspect was shot dead on a middle school roof during an "active shooter" incident Monday night. The Wisconsin Department of Justice said the suspected shooter was shot by Germantown officers around 6:36pm, when 50 to 70 students were still inside the school,...
'Absolute Time Capsule'
Found in Wisconsin Barn
Oct 20, 2023 9:31 AM CDT
'Absolute Time Capsule' Found in Wisconsin Barn
1981 DeLorean like one used in 'Back to the Future' discovered with just 977 miles on it
- A pair of Illinois car restorers didn't have to go back in time to stumble upon their latest big find, though they did have to cross state lines. WTVO reports that Michael McElhattan, who owns DeLorean Midwest in Crystal Lake, and employee Kevin Thomas struck a deal earlier this...
For the Great Lakes,
It's a Historic First
in case you missed it
Oct 14, 2023 4:40 PM CDT
For the Great Lakes, It's a Historic First
Waukesha, Wisconsin, becomes first community outside Great Lakes basin to receive lake water
- For the first time, water from the Great Lakes is flowing to a community outside the Great Lakes basin. Waukesha, Wisconsin, a Milwaukee suburb of about 70,000 on the shores of the Fox River, has been working for decades to transition its water supply as the river, its previous...
Armed Man Arrested
at State Capitol
Returned Hours Later
Oct 5, 2023 1:35 PM CDT
Armed Man Arrested at State Capitol Returned Hours Later
Wisconsin man had an assault rifle the second time
- A man illegally brought a handgun into the Wisconsin Capitol, demanding to see Gov. Tony Evers, and returned at night with an assault rifle after posting bail, a spokesperson for the state said Thursday. The man, who was shirtless and had a holstered handgun, approached the governor's office on...
He Took a Legendary Cookie
Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Sep 30, 2023 3:29 PM CDT
He Took a Legendary Cookie Recipe to His Grave. Maybe
Dave Denison writes of the Guerrilla Cookie and its one-of-a-kind creator in the Baffler
- It starts out as a story about a hunt for a cookie recipe, but Dave Denison's piece in the Baffler ends up being more about the Thoreau-esque baker who appears to have taken the recipe to his grave. The cookie in question is the Guerrilla Cookie, legendary in Midwestern...
Flamingos Show Up
Way North for
First Time Ever
Sep 25, 2023 11:31 AM CDT
Flamingos Show Up Way North for First Time Ever
Five of them appear in Wisconsin, along a Lake Michigan beach
- Five flamingos that showed up in Wisconsin to wade along a Lake Michigan beach attracted a big crowd of onlookers eager to see the unusual visitors venturing far from their usual tropical setting. The American flamingos spotted Friday in Port Washington, about 25 miles north of Milwaukee, marked the first...
GOP Senators Vote to Fire
Nonpartisan Elections Boss
Sep 14, 2023 6:45 PM CDT
GOP Senators Vote to Fire Nonpartisan Elections Boss
Meagan Wolfe immediately files suit to keep her Wisconsin job
- Republicans in the Wisconsin Senate voted Thursday to fire the state's top elections official from her nonpartisan job. An hour later, saying they didn't have the authority to remove her, Meagan Wolfe sued them. The 22-11 vote means that, until the courts decide whether Wolfe keeps her job...
Abortions to Resume at Clinics
in Wisconsin After Ruling
Sep 14, 2023 3:50 PM CDT
Abortions to Resume at Clinics in Wisconsin After Ruling
Opponents argue state's ban remains in place
- Planned Parenthood announced Thursday that it will resume offering abortions in Wisconsin next week after a judge ruled that an 1849 law that seemingly banned the procedure actually didn't apply to abortions. The resumption of abortions Monday at clinics in Milwaukee and Madison comes as the lawsuit challenging the...
Crazy Jets Game Ends Up
Costing Wisconsin Bar Patrons
Sep 12, 2023 2:14 PM CDT
Crazy Jets Game Ends Up Costing Wisconsin Bar Patrons
Patrons celebrated when Aaron Rodgers left the game, expecting to have their tabs covered
- Buffalo Bills fans weren't the only ones unhappy with the outcome of Monday night's game against the Jets. Bar patrons in Wisconsin ended up pretty bummed, too, after New York won. As WHNT explains, it has to do with the bar's promotion before the season began. Jack'...
New State Judge Hasn't Heard
a Case, Faces Impeachment
Sep 7, 2023 1:10 PM CDT
New State Judge Hasn't Heard a Case, Faces Impeachment
Wisconsin Republicans say Janet Protasiewicz is tight with Democrats, must recuse in legislative map case
- Wisconsin Republicans are threatening to impeach a state Supreme Court justice before she's heard a case. Justice Janet Protasiewicz won her April election by 11 points, per the AP . Her win gave liberals a majority on the court, boosting hopes among Democrats that it will overturn the state's...
Here Are the 10 Best,
Worst States to Live In
Aug 14, 2023 3:17 PM CDT
Here Are the 10 Best, Worst States to Live In
Massachusetts tops WalletHub's list; New Mexico comes in last
- Whether you're looking to relocate or just nosy about how your state ranks, WalletHub has a new analysis out on America's ideal places to live. The site looked at all 50 states across more than four dozen metrics, in five main categories: affordability; economy, including a state's...
Cop Rescues Cows
From Burning Barn
Jul 7, 2023 11:18 AM CDT
Cop Rescues Cows From Burning Barn
'Prone to escape' cows were trapped in Wisconsin barn
- A Wisconsin police officer who ran into a burning barn and found cows near flames says the bovines "made a beeline" for the safety of a pasture once he opened a gate holding them back. Sturgeon Bay police officer Andrew Crabb was nearing the end of his overnight shift...
Gov Vetoes 2 Digits,
Funding for 400 Years
Jul 7, 2023 4:48 AM CDT
Gov Vetoes 2 Digits, Extends School Funding for 400 Years
Wisconsin Gov. Tony Evers gets creative with partial veto power
- Governors of Wisconsin have an unusual "partial veto" power that allows them to remove letters, numbers, and punctuation from legislation—and Gov. Tony Evers used it this week to extend a public school funding increase for an extra 400 years. The Democratic governor removed the "20" and the...
Cops 'Amazed to See That
Somebody Survived This'
in case you missed it
Apr 30, 2023 6:40 AM CDT
Cops 'Amazed to See That Somebody Survived This'
Donald Schmelling, 84, of Kenosha, Wisconsin, is pulled from burning van in the nick of time
- An elderly Wisconsin man is lucky to be alive after police pulled him from a burning vehicle Tuesday. Kenosha police officers tried to stop the 84-year-old driver around 9pm local time after noticing he had a flat tire. "I was looking for a place to stop and all of...
Wisconsin Woman Dies in Crash
Hours After Husband's Funeral
Apr 14, 2023 7:58 AM CDT
Wisconsin Woman Dies in Crash Hours After Husband's Funeral
'I don't think she could be without him,' mother says
- A Wisconsin woman mourning her husband died just five hours after his funeral. Relatives say Sara Nowak, 42, was distraught at the April 1 funeral for husband Louis Nowak, 58, the
reports. Louis Nowak was diagnosed with liver cancer around four months ago and died March 19. After...
Wisconsin Election With
Major Implications Is Decided
Apr 4, 2023 10:07 PM CDT
Wisconsin Election With Major Implications Is Decided
Janet Protasiewicz beats Dan Kelly
- Janet Protasiewicz has been declared the winner in a closely-watched Wisconsin Supreme Court race against Dan Kelly. The win gives liberals control of the state's highest court for the first time in a decade and a half, and the
says it "instantly reshap[es] politics" in the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Red Lobster Misjudged Diners' Hunger for Endless Shrimp
George Santos Is Expelled From Congress
Couple's NC Wyeth Windfall Collapses
NFL Star Charged With Assaulting Pregnant Girlfriend
Report: Israel Had Details of Hamas Attack for Over a Year
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.