Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Attacker in Slender Man
Stabbing Goes Free Monday
Sep 10, 2021 4:04 PM CDT
Attacker in Slender Man Stabbing Goes Free Monday
Judge says release plan will keep community and victim safe
- A Wisconsin woman who admitted helping stab a classmate to please the horror character Slender Man will be freed Monday from a mental health institution, a judge ruled Friday. Anissa Weier, 19, has spent almost four years at the Winnebago Mental Health Institute, the AP reports. She will be subject...
Jul 2, 2021 8:15 AM CDT
Slender Man Stabbing Teen Granted Release
Anissa Weier to leave mental health facility once release plan is finalized
- One of a pair who tried to kill a classmate to appease fictional horror character Slender Man will soon go free. A Wisconsin judge on Thursday ordered the release of 19-year-old Anissa Weier, who's been at a state mental health facility since pleading guilty to attempted second-degree intentional homicide...
Teen in Slender Man
Stabbing to Seek Release
Mar 5, 2021 2:35 PM CST
Teen in Slender Man Stabbing to Seek Release
Anissa Weier, now 19, helped a friend attack a third girl in 2014
- It's been nearly seven years since the jarring Slender Man stabbing , and now one of the two teens involved is about to ask for her release from a mental health facility. Anissa Weier, now 19, was 12 at the time she hatched a murder plot with a friend against...
They Tricked Me
Oct 24, 2019 9:50 AM CDT
'Slender Man' Stabbing Victim: They Tricked Me With Hide-and-Seek
Payton Leutner, 17, is doing much better now
- Payton Leutner has no desire to talk to the former best friend who stabbed her 19 times and left her for dead in the woods. But if she did, "I would probably, initially thank her," the 17-year-old tells David Muir in what ABC News reports is her first...
4 Searing Reviews
Aug 10, 2018 9:30 AM CDT
4 Searing Reviews of
'No one cares,' writes one critic
- The reviews are in for
, the faceless character's jump from the Internet to the big screen thanks to Sony Pictures and director Sylvain White, and they're nearly universally awful. Four zingers summing up critics' 11% rating on Rotten Tomatoes :
Sentence an Issue
Feb 1, 2018 5:30 PM CST
Slender Man Sentence an Issue of 'Community Protection'
Morgan Geyser, 15, was sentenced to 40 years in a mental hospital for her role in stabbing attack
- A Wisconsin girl who stabbed a classmate in an attack inspired by the fictional horror character Slender Man was sentenced to 40 years in a mental hospital Thursday. Judge Michael Bohren granted the maximum penalty that prosecutors had sought, and he discounted Morgan Geyser's youth—she was just 12—...
There's an Untold Story to
the Slender Man Stabbing
Jan 12, 2018 11:52 AM CST
There's an Untold Story to the Slender Man Stabbing
One of the girls had been having hallucinations since age 3
- First came three words: "I'm so sorry." Then 12-year-old Morgan Geyser sunk a knife into her best friend's body a total of 19 times as 12-year-old Anissa Weier urged her on. Payton Lautner, also 12, amazingly survived the attempted killing as media coverage focused on the...
Girl Convicted in
Dec 21, 2017 6:39 PM CST
Girl Convicted in Slender Man Stabbing Sentenced
Anissa Weier given 25 years in a mental hospital
- One of two Wisconsin girls who tried to kill a classmate to win favor with a fictional horror character named Slender Man was sentenced Thursday to 25 years in a mental hospital, the maximum punishment possible, the AP reports. Anissa Weier, 16, pleaded guilty in August to being a party...
Sep 29, 2017 2:07 PM CDT
Girl in 'Slender Man' Case Reaches Plea Deal
Morgan Geyser will go to a state mental hospital
- One of two Wisconsin girls charged with stabbing a classmate to impress horror character Slender Man will plead guilty in a deal that calls for her to avoid prison time and instead receive treatment for mental illness, attorneys announced Friday. The deal calls for doctors to evaluate 15-year-old Morgan Geyser...
Sep 16, 2017 6:00 AM CDT
Verdict in Slender Man Case Rejected
Jury continues deliberating after judge's order
- A Wisconsin girl who admitted helping her friend stab their classmate nearly to death to please online horror character Slender Man was lonely, depressed and descended into "madness," her attorney said Friday as she pleaded with a jury to send the girl to a mental hospital rather than...
After 3 Years,
Sep 13, 2017 10:00 AM CDT
After 3 Years, 'Slender Man' Trial Begins
Jury to decide if Anissa Weier suffered from mental illness at time of attack
- It's been more than three years since Payton Leutner was stabbed 19 times by two friends in a Wisconsin park in the "Slender Man" stabbing, and this week a jury hears testimony to decide if one of her attackers was mentally competent at the time. Opening statements began...
Teen Pleads Guilty to Lesser
Charge in Slender Man Stabbing
Aug 21, 2017 2:24 PM CDT
Teen Pleads Guilty to Lesser Charge in Slender Man Stabbing
Upcoming trial will evaluate her mental health
- One of two Wisconsin girls charged with repeatedly stabbing a classmate to impress the fictitious horror character Slender Man pleaded guilty Monday, but she still faces a trial in the case next month focused on her mental health. Anissa Weier, 15, pleaded guilty to attempted second-degree homicide as a party...
Parents of 'Slender Man'
Suspect on the 'Surreal' Case
Jan 16, 2017 2:40 PM CST
Parents of 'Slender Man' Suspect on the 'Surreal' Case
Anissa Weier's parents speak out
- Anissa Weier, now 15, is one of the two girls accused of stabbing a friend 19 times in a 2014 attack that, the girls said, was an attempt to get in the good graces of "Slender Man," a fictional internet character. Her parents say that while they knew...
2nd 'Slender Man' Girl
Will Plead Insanity
Sep 2, 2016 2:22 AM CDT
2nd 'Slender Man' Girl Will Plead Insanity
Both girls will be tried as adults
- Both girls in Wisconsin's disturbing "Slender Man" case will now be pleading not guilty by reason of insanity. Attorneys for 14-year-old Anissa Weier signaled this week that they want to change her plea in the attempted murder case from not guilty to "NGI," meaning that she'...
Court Delivers Blow
to 'Slender Man' Girls
Jul 27, 2016 9:50 AM CDT
Court Delivers Blow to 'Slender Man' Girls
Upholds lower court ruling to try suspects as adults
- A Wisconsin state appeals court ruled Wednesday that two girls accused of trying to kill their classmate in an attempt to please the fictional horror character "Slender Man" should be tried as adults. The 2nd District Appeals court, in a pair of rulings, affirmed a lower court's determination...
Inside the Horrifying
'Slender Man' Stabbing
Aug 27, 2015 6:24 PM CDT
Inside the Horrifying 'Slender Man' Stabbing
'New York' takes a close, compelling look
- Anissa Weier and Morgan Geyser, the then-12-year-old girls accused of savagely attacking a friend last year because, they said, the Internet horror character "Slender Man" told them to, pleaded not guilty last week . In the latest issue of
magazine, Lisa Miller offers up a compelling, in-depth look...
'Slender Man' Girls
Plead Not Guilty
Aug 21, 2015 12:21 PM CDT
'Slender Man' Girls Plead Not Guilty
They face decades in prison over attack on classmate
- Two 13-year-old Wisconsin girls accused of luring their friend into the woods to repeatedly stab her as a sacrifice to the fictitious Slender Man character pleaded not guilty today. The teens from the Milwaukee suburb of Waukesha are being tried as adults and face decades in prison if they are...
'Slender Man' Girls
Get Bad News in Court
Aug 10, 2015 3:58 PM CDT
'Slender Man' Girls Get Bad News in Court
Two 13-year-olds will be tried as adults
- Two 13-year-old girls accused of trying to murder a classmate when they were 12 learned today that they will be tried as adults—a decision that could make a difference of decades in prison. In what they told investigators was an attempt to please the fictional online "Slender Man"...
Slender Man Suspects
Ruled Fit for Trial
Dec 19, 2014 1:00 AM CST
Slender Man Suspects Ruled Fit for Trial
Girls were 12 when they allegedly stabbed classmate
- Two Wisconsin girls who allegedly stabbed a classmate 19 times to please the "Slender Man" fictional online character are competent to stand trial, a judge has decided. Both girls, who were 12 when they allegedly tried to kill another 12-year-old girl after a sleepover, have been charged as adults....
Slender Man Costumes
Cause Uproar After Stabbing
Sep 19, 2014 2:20 PM CDT
Slender Man Costumes Cause Uproar After Stabbing
Stores in Wisconsin selling get-ups for Halloween
- Wisconsin's Waukesha County was jolted earlier this year when two 12-year-old girls allegedly stabbed a classmate because they thought it would please a fictional character known as Slender Man . Now, some local stores are catching flak for selling Slender Man costumes in time for Halloween, reports the Milwaukee
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Researchers May Have Cracked a Cancer Enigma
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
Angry Elephants Damage Car That Hit a Calf
Cops Chasing Stolen Forklift Find Surprise Driver
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.