Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Romance With 'Tiger'
Oct 6, 2021 2:54 PM CDT
Texts Expose Elizabeth Holmes' Romance With 'Tiger'
Theranos founder and Sunny Balwani met in 2002
- The trial of Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes involves a romance portion, with prosecutors diving into Holmes' longtime relationship with Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani. Holmes and Balwani, who himself faces fraud charges in a trial slated for early next year, met in a 2002 language-immersion session in China when they were...
At Elizabeth Holmes' Trial,
a Familiar but Unexpected Face
Sep 23, 2021 6:45 AM CDT
At Elizabeth Holmes' Trial, a Familiar but Unexpected Face
Ex-SecDef James Mattis testified that former Theranos CEO misled him on blood-testing tech
- Former US Secretary of Defense James Mattis testified Wednesday in the trial of fallen tech star Elizabeth Holmes, saying the entrepreneur misled him into believing she was on the verge of rolling out a blood-testing breakthrough that he hoped would help save lives of troops in battle. Mattis' appearance came...
Who Was 'Surprised,
Sep 22, 2021 1:58 AM CDT
Theranos Patient Who Was 'Surprised, Sad' Testifies
She's the first of a planned 11 patients to take the stand at Elizabeth Holmes' trial
- After receiving two blood test results from Theranos indicating she might be miscarrying, Brittany Gould discussed options for terminating the pregnancy with a nurse practitioner. But the test results were wrong, and Gould, who testified Tuesday at the criminal trial of former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes, ended up delivering a...
Trial: She Was 'Starstruck'
by Holmes, but Not for Long
Sep 15, 2021 8:37 AM CDT
Trial: She Was 'Starstruck' by Holmes, but Not for Long
Theranos whistleblower Erika Cheung testified Tuesday
- Tuesday marked the second day that jurors in the Elizabeth Holmes case heard from witnesses, specifically Theranos' controller and a lab worker-turned-whistleblower. A recap:
Wall Street Journal
reports the finance-related testimony from controller Danise Yam was meant to bolster prosecutors' assertion that Holmes intentionally lied to investors. Yam, who
A Bizarre Ruse Played Out
at Elizabeth Holmes' Trial
Sep 14, 2021 3:22 PM CDT
A Bizarre Ruse Played Out at Elizabeth Holmes' Trial
Reporters say an 'everyman' named Hanson who came to watch was really Bill Evans
- If you've been captivated by the twists and turns of the Theranos saga, get ready for one of the arguably least consequential but most bizarre ones. NPR reports that an "everyman" trial observer who showed up at court during jury selection and shot the breeze with reporters, painting...
Sep 10, 2021 1:17 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes' Trial Delayed
Juror may have been exposed to COVID over Labor Day weekend
- The day after Elizabeth Holmes' trial began , it was delayed. At an emergency virtual hearing Thursday night, the judge told defense and prosecution lawyers that Juror #9 emailed him Thursday revealing he may have been exposed to COVID-19 over Labor Day weekend and was awaiting test results. Proceedings will resume...
'A Failed Business Does Not
Make a CEO a Criminal'
Sep 9, 2021 9:41 AM CDT
'A Failed Business Does Not Make a CEO a Criminal'
Opening arguments begin in Elizabeth Holmes trial
- The fraud trial of Elizabeth Holmes got underway on Wednesday, and the
Wall Street Journal
notes that her defense team made a point to let the jury know Holmes is a new mom in opening statements. Attorney Lance Wade pointed out the father of the baby, partner Billy Evans, in...
Living at $135M
Green Gables Estate
Sep 8, 2021 6:49 AM CDT
Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes Living at $135M Green Gables Estate
Her trial begins Wednesday
- The former CEO of blood-testing startup Theranos goes on trial starting Wednesday. Elizabeth Holmes, 37, faces up to two decades behind bars on charges that her company, once valued at $10 billion, defrauded patients, some of whom will be allowed to testify . Her defense is expected to paint the picture...
Elizabeth Holmes to Say
Ex Abused, Controlled Her
Aug 28, 2021 11:30 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes to Say Ex Abused, Controlled Her
The Theranos founder's lawyers filed a motion saying her much older then-boyfriend gave her PTSD
- The crux of the Elizabeth Holmes legend is that she was just a kid when she started a company that was at one point valued at $10 billion. Holmes was 19 when she dropped out of Stanford to start Theranos. Holmes worked with her then-boyfriend, Ramesh “Sunny” Balwani. Balwani...
Elizabeth Holmes Loses Bid
to Keep Patients Out of It
Aug 7, 2021 10:23 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Loses Bid to Keep Patients Out of It
Former Theranos patients will be allowed to testify
- "The most powerful evidence often comes from patients themselves," a Florida attorney who has handled dozens of federal fraud cases tied to the health industry tells the
Wall Street Journal
, saying they can make the details of the case come alive for the jury. On Wednesday, a judge...
Elizabeth Holmes Is a Mom
Aug 6, 2021 2:19 AM CDT
Theranos Founder Elizabeth Holmes Is a Mom
The child was born last month
- The baby who delayed Elizabeth Holmes' criminal fraud trial was born last month. The Theranos founder gave birth to William Holmes Evans, her first child with partner Billy Evans, on July 10, ABC News reports. Holmes' trial on charges that she defrauded investors, doctors, and patients about her blood-testing startup...
Merch Is a Hot Seller
Jun 14, 2021 7:35 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes Merch Is a Hot Seller
Alleged fraudster still has lots of fans
- In spite of her upcoming fraud trial —or maybe because of it—the Elizabeth Holmes brand appears to still be a hot one, reports CNBC . The outlet found all kinds of fast-selling merchandise brandishing the name of Holmes or her defunct Theranos company on sites ranging from eBay to...
Back in Court,
on Verge of
May 7, 2021 7:45 AM CDT
Back in Court, Holmes Looks on Verge of Small Win
Judge suggests it could be 'dangerous' for jurors to hear details of her luxury lifestyle
- Former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes' trial on fraud charges is still months away, but she was back in court for the first time in more than a year this week as the sides argued over what information should be included. The argument about whether jurors should hear about Holmes' luxury...
Founders of Poop-Testing
Startup Accused of Huge Fraud
in case you missed it
Mar 27, 2021 10:02 AM CDT
Founders of Poop-Testing Startup Accused of Huge Fraud
Federal prosecutors say Ubiome deceived patients, doctors with bogus tests
- Not too long ago, the company was a trendy medical startup being compared with another trendy medical startup, Theranos. And now, as with Theranos , the founders are facing allegations of running a huge fraud, reports the
San Francisco Chronicle
. Zachary Schulz Apte and Jessica Sunshine Richman, co-founders of the now-defunct...
Elizabeth Holmes Wants
One Subject Kept From Jurors
Nov 23, 2020 2:28 PM CST
Elizabeth Holmes Wants One Subject Kept From Jurors
Her lawyers argue her luxurious lifestyle should not be mentioned
- Jury selection is a bit more than three months off in the case of former Theranos CEO Elizabeth Holmes, and her attorneys are trying to make certain that the men and women who are selected don't hear about one topic: Holmes' luxury lifestyle. In a Friday night filing, they...
Sep 10, 2020 11:33 AM CDT
Elizabeth Holmes May Use Surprise Defense
Bloomberg reports she's exploring 'mental disease or defect' argument
- Elizabeth Holmes is facing serious prison time over the fraud scandal that brought down her health startup Theranos. Now Bloomberg reports that the 36-year-old might make the surprise move of using what amounts to an insanity defense at her March trial. Her lawyers plan to introduce evidence to show that...
Feb 12, 2020 5:30 PM CST
Judge Trims Charges Facing Holmes
Wire fraud count remains Theranos founder, but others are dismissed
- Elizabeth Holmes, the Stanford dropout who founded the blood-testing company Theranos, still faces a trial in San Jose but now on fewer charges. US District Judge Edward Davila said Tuesday that he'll toss out any of the 11 counts against Holmes and Ramesh "Sunny" Balwani, former Theranos president,...
With Lawyers Gone, Holmes
Phones In to Arizona Court
Jan 25, 2020 9:15 AM CST
With Lawyers Gone, Holmes Phones In to Arizona Court
Elizabeth Holmes' attorneys in civil case quit over nonpayment
- Elizabeth Holmes is stretched thin in a couple of ways right now. The criminal case against the former head of Theranos is being heard in San Jose. A civil case—a fraud lawsuit—is proceeding in Arizona. Her lawyers handling the fraud suit have quit because they weren't being...
in case you missed it
Oct 19, 2019 3:00 PM CDT
A Defense of Elizabeth Holmes
Vilified former Theranos CEO is a genuine 'visionary,' argues John Tamny
- She is perhaps the most vilified CEO—now former CEO—in the country. But in a lengthy analysis at RealClearMarkets , the site's editor stakes out a strong defense of Theranos founder Elizabeth Holmes . "My take is that with time Holmes will be vindicated as a visionary whose main...
Disgraced Tech CEO Plans
Unusual Legal Strategy
Jun 29, 2019 3:17 PM CDT
Disgraced Tech CEO Plans Unusual Legal Strategy
Elizabeth Holmes will go after journalist who torpedoed company, reports Bloomberg
- Elizabeth Holmes goes on trial next year on charges of criminal fraud, and Bloomberg reports that her legal team is working on an unexpected legal strategy. They're going after reporter John Carreyrou, whose investigative pieces in the
Wall Street Journal
led to the unraveling of Holmes' blood-testing company, Theranos....
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Judge: Trump Doesn't Have to Declare FBI Planted Evidence
One Take on Tagovailoa's Hit: 'How Are We So Stupid in 2022'
Former Cowboys Player Dies in Climbing Accident
Their Scheme Made Couple's Life 'Hell.' Now, Prison Time
Florida Woman Went to Extremes to Keep Paralyzed Spouse Alive
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.