Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
It's a Holy Place
—and It's Sinking
Mar 19, 2023 12:48 PM CDT
It's a Holy Place —and It's Sinking
Environmentalist: What looks like development in Joshimath, India, 'is actually devastation'
- For months, the roughly 20,000 residents of the holy town of Joshimath, burrowed in the Himalayas and revered by Hindu and Sikh pilgrims, have watched the earth slowly swallow their community. Multistoried hotels slumped to one side; cracked roads gaped open. More than 860 homes were uninhabitable, splayed by...
Crew Members Missing
After Typhoon Breaks Up Ship
Jul 3, 2022 12:45 PM CDT
Crew Members Missing After Typhoon Breaks Up Ship
Rescuers search for 27 in South China Sea
- Three crew members were saved in dramatic rescues, but 27 more are missing after a ship broke up in a typhoon in the South China Sea near Hong Kong. Rescuers from the Honk Kong Government Flying Service were dispatched Saturday morning to search for survivors, using helicopters and planes. The...
Restaurant That Supposedly
Sank May Still Be Afloat
Jun 24, 2022 7:03 AM CDT
Restaurant That Supposedly Sank May Still Be Afloat
Clarification from owners of HK's iconic Jumbo says it's 'still in the waters' in South China Sea
- A clarification has been issued on a floating Hong Kong restaurant that appeared to have met its demise earlier this week while being towed to Cambodia for refurbishing—though the clarification isn't terribly clear, either. Aberdeen Restaurant Enterprises Limited, owner of the 46-year-old Jumbo Floating Restaurant, now suggests the...
Planned Fix for Sinking
Tower Hits Big Snag
in case you missed it
May 22, 2022 5:20 PM CDT
Planned Fix for Sinking Tower Hits Big Snag
Roadblock to $100M effort to reverse tilt of San Francisco's Millennium Tower: underground wall
- San Francisco has been struggling for years with its Millennium Tower , an architectural fiasco that has seen the building slowly leaning and sinking into the ground below it. Now, the expensive plan to fix it may be in jeopardy, with reports that an underground shoring wall is now a wrench...
At Least 31 Dead in
English Channel Disaster
Nov 24, 2021 2:42 PM CST
At Least 31 Dead in English Channel Disaster
Migrants' boat capsized after leaving France
- At least 31 people bound for Britain died Wednesday when their boat sank in the English Channel, in what France’s interior minister called the biggest tragedy involving migrants on the dangerous crossing to date. Interior Minister Gerald Darmanin said 34 people were believed to have been on the boat,...
Sunken Ship Will 'Basically
Destroy the Bottom of the Sea'
Jun 2, 2021 12:32 PM CDT
Sunken Ship Will 'Basically Destroy the Bottom of the Sea'
Chemical leak believed to have triggered fires prior to sinking off Sri Lanka
- A chemical-laden cargo ship that burned for 13 days off the coast of Sri Lanka has now sunk, along with hundreds of tons of oil in fuel tanks, in what CNN calls "one of the worst ecological disasters in the country's history." Crews managed to put out...
Ominous Sign After
Fishing Boat Sinks:
Empty Life Raft
Nov 24, 2020 8:45 AM CST
Ominous Sign After Fishing Boat Sinks: Empty Life Raft
US Coast Guard searching for 4 men off Cape Cod
- The US Coast Guard is racing to find four fisherman missing off the coast of Massachusetts after their boat sank early Monday. A crew from Boston responded after an emergency radio beacon was triggered 20 miles northeast of Provincetown around 1am, per NBC News . Calls to the satellite phone on...
Boats Sink at 'Trump Parade'
Sep 5, 2020 4:30 PM CDT
Boats Sink at 'Trump Parade'
Over 2.6K people planned to attend the Texas event
- A "Trump Boat Parade" ran into a little trouble Saturday when several boats sent out distress calls and some actually sank, CBS Austin reports. The event on Lake Travis in Austin, Texas, was going well until boats along the parade route sent out calls for help. "TCSO responded...
NTSB Lays Fault in
Deadly Duck Boat Sinking
Apr 29, 2020 12:33 PM CDT
NTSB Lays Fault in Deadly Duck Boat Sinking
Weather warning wasn't relayed to Ride the Ducks captain
- The 2018 sinking of a duck boat in southwest Missouri that resulted in the deaths of 17 people could've been avoided had closer attention been paid to the weather . That's the takeaway from a summary of the National Transportation Safety Board's final report on the accident on...
Survivor of Boat Sinking:
'It Happened Really Fast'
Jan 3, 2020 12:05 PM CST
Survivor of Boat Sinking: 'It Happened Really Fast'
Dean Gribble, one other crew member made it off the Scandies Rose; 5 are presumed dead
- Loved ones who spoke with crew members on the Scandies Rose crabbing boat shortly before it sank on New Year's Eve in the Gulf of Alaska, leaving two survivors and five missing and feared dead, say they didn't realize just how dire the situation was. Jeri Lynn Smith...
It Wasn't Good Fishing
Weather. The Boat
Went Out Anyway
Jul 4, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
It Wasn't Good Fishing Weather. The Boat Went Out Anyway
Now 27 are dead, 9 are missing after fishing boat capsizes, sinks off coast of Honduras
- At least 27 fishermen died after a fishing vessel capsized and sank during bad weather Wednesday in the Caribbean off Honduras' northern coast, the Central American country's military says. The AP reports that nine people are missing and 55 others have been rescued. Jose Domingo Meza, a spokesman for...
Weeks After Restoration,
19th-Century Schooner Sinks
Jun 10, 2019 4:28 AM CDT
Weeks After Restoration, 19th-Century Schooner Sinks
It collided with a cargo ship near Hamburg
- A newly restored wooden 19th-century ship sank just weeks after it was restored at a cost of $1.7 million. The No. 5 Elbe schooner, built in 1883, sank after a collision with a container ship near Hamburg, Germany, on Saturday, the BBC reports. Six adults and two children were...
Just 7 Seconds
May 31, 2019 4:30 AM CDT
Deadly Sinking Happened in Just 7 Seconds
Captain of Danube cruise ship arrested
- Hungarian police have detained the captain of a cruise ship that collided with a sightseeing boat packed with South Korean tourists , causing it to sink quickly in the Danube River in Budapest. Seven people have been confirmed dead, while 21 people remain missing in the fast-flowing river. A South Korean...
7 Dead, 21 Missing in
Budapest Boat Disaster
May 30, 2019 12:07 AM CDT
7 Dead, 21 Missing in Budapest Boat Disaster
Sightseeing boat collided with larger ship
- There was a massive search and rescue effort on the Danube river Wednesday night after a boat packed with South Korean tourists capsized and sank in Budapest. Authorities say seven people have been confirmed dead and another 21—19 Koreans and two Hungarian crew members—are missing, the BBC reports....
'Survivor' Replica of Columbus
Ship Takes 2nd Watery Plunge
Apr 24, 2019 4:03 AM CDT
'Survivor' Replica of Columbus Ship Takes 2nd Watery Plunge
La Niña sinks again in Corpus Christi, Texas, but caretakers are hopeful she can be brought back
- "She sank fast, but she is a survivor." So says Kim Mrazek, president of the group that maintains the La Niña, a replica of Christopher Columbus' ship that was made in Spain but has called Corpus Christi, Texas, home since 1992, per CNN . The vessel took on...
Teen Girl Says Duck-Boat
Captain Was 'Freaking Out'
Jul 22, 2018 9:40 AM CDT
Teen Girl Says Duck-Boat Captain Was 'Freaking Out'
And a private inspector says he warned the company about risks
- A teenager on the Missouri duck boat was apparently "freaking out" when it sank because the captain was doing the same. "She's sad—very sad," Mandi Keller of Texas says about her 15-year-old daughter Gillian, per the
Kansas City Star
. Gillian was with her father on...
Coast Guard Report: Captain
to Blame in El Faro Sinking
Oct 2, 2017 6:41 AM CDT
Coast Guard Report: Captain to Blame in El Faro Sinking
Capt. Michael Davidson underestimated hurricane, overestimated ship
- A Coast Guard report released Sunday says the primary cause of the 2015 sinking of the cargo ship El Faro , which killed all 33 aboard, was the captain underestimating the strength of a hurricane and overestimating the ship's strength. The report says Capt. Michael Davidson should have changed the...
Engineer Says She's
of Civil War Sub
Aug 24, 2017 9:35 AM CDT
Engineer Says She's Solved Mystery of Civil War Sub
Her conclusion: torpedo shock waves killed the crew, doomed the Hunley
- For more than 150 years, researchers have scratched their heads over a Civil War mystery—and now a Navy engineer says she's solved it. Rachel Lance has been diving deep into the 1864 sinking of the Confederate submarine HL Hunley, which mysteriously went down shortly after sinking the Union'...
Boat With 70 People Aboard
Sinks in Brazilian River
Aug 23, 2017 1:58 PM CDT
Boat With 70 People Aboard Sinks in Brazilian River
So far 7 bodies found, dozens of people missing
- A boat carrying 70 people sank on a major river in northern Brazil with at least seven dead and dozens missing, authorities said Wednesday. The public security office of the state of Para said that 25 people made it to the shore and seven bodies were recovered, per the AP...
Historic Calif. Drought Wreaked
Irreversible, Bizarre Damage
Apr 19, 2017 5:03 AM CDT
Historic Calif. Drought Wreaked Irreversible, Bizarre Damage
Central Valley sank 3 feet—and won't be rebounding
- Snowmelt and rain are in abundance for the first time in years in Central Valley, Calif., which boasts so much farmland it helps feed much of the world. But the state's five-year drought was so bad that all those farms sucked up enough groundwater to sink a solid three...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Celebs' Jilted Exes Are Now Dating Each Other
UNLV Shooter Was a 67-Year-Old Professor: Sources
Deputy Killed in Police Chase of Senator's Son
Trump Sets in Motion Fight That May Go to Supreme Court
This Could Be Behind 'Mystery' Dog Illnesses
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.