Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 41 - 56 |
GOP Senator on Trump:
'He Did Not Use That Word'
Jan 14, 2018 12:10 PM CST
GOP Senator on Trump: 'He Did Not Use That Word'
David Perdue defends president
- Advocates of a program to protect young immigrants got a dose of good news with this White House decision , but then some bad news from the president himself. "DACA is probably dead because the Democrats don’t really want it, they just want to talk and take desperately needed...
Under Court Order, Taking
DACA Renewals Again
Jan 14, 2018 5:33 AM CST
Trump Administration, Under Court Order, Taking DACA Renewals Again
But won't be accepting new applications
- Citizenship and Immigration Services says it's resumed accepting requests to renew a grant of deferred action under the Obama-era program that shields from deportation young immigrants brought to the US as children and who remain in the country illegally. The decision comes four days after a federal judge, in...
$33M Bezos Donation Will
Send 1K Dreamers to College
Jan 12, 2018 12:22 PM CST
$33M Bezos Donation Will Send 1K Dreamers to College
Amazon CEO, wife make largest-ever donation to TheDream.US
- On Thursday, the White House rejected a bipartisan deal to protect Dreamers—quickly overshadowed by the racist statement allegedly made by President Trump. On Friday, Jeff and MacKenzie Bezos announced a $33 million donation to provide 1,000 scholarships to DACA youth, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. According to the...
Judge Blocks Trump's
Decision to End DACA
Jan 10, 2018 12:44 AM CST
Judge Blocks Trump's Decision to End DACA
Feds say program is still illegal
- A federal judge on Tuesday night temporarily blocked the Trump administration's decision to end a program protecting young immigrants from deportation. US District Judge William Alsup granted a request by California and other plaintiffs to prevent President Trump from ending the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program while their...
In Shift, Trump Backs
Major Immigration Reform
Jan 9, 2018 4:40 PM CST
In Shift, Trump Backs Major Immigration Reform
First, fix DACA with 'bill of love,' then tackle larger issue, he tells lawmakers
- President Trump convened an unusual 50-minute meeting of top Republican and Democratic lawmakers at the White House Tuesday and allowed reporters to stay for the whole thing. When all was said and done, Trump had suggested a two-part reform plan on immigration: First, fix the DACA program with a "...
As Jan. 19 Budget Deadline
Approaches, 'It's a Mess'
Jan 9, 2018 10:30 AM CST
As Jan. 19 Budget Deadline Approaches, 'It's a Mess'
President Trump to meet with Republicans, Democrats Tuesday
- Simply put, "it's a mess," or so an unnamed person involved in Washington's attempt to come to an agreement on a long-term spending plan—something that has to happen by Jan. 19—tells CNN . The hangup isn't spending, but immigration, with Republican John Cornyn accusing...
Here's What Trump Wants
in Deal to Protect Dreamers
Jan 6, 2018 10:20 AM CST
Here's What Trump Wants in Deal to Protect Dreamers
$18B for a portion of his border wall, to start
- President Trump is asking for $18 billion to fund a portion of his promised border wall in exchange for allowing hundreds of thousands of Dreamers—young immigrants brought to the US illegally—to stay in the country, the
Wall Street Journal
reports. According to the
New York Times
, the wall...
Supreme Court Deals
Blow to DACA Defenders
Dec 9, 2017 12:53 PM CST
Supreme Court Deals Blow to DACA Defenders
Document disclosure blocked for now
- The Supreme Court on Friday blocked for now a judge's order requiring the Trump administration to disclose all emails, letters, and other documents it considered in its decision to end a program protecting young immigrants from deportation, the AP reports. By a 5-4 vote, the Supreme Court blocked an...
Pelosi, Schumer Bail on
Trump Meeting After Tweet
Nov 28, 2017 11:00 AM CST
Pelosi, Schumer Bail on Trump Meeting After Tweet
President said he didn't 'see a deal'
calls it a "make-or-break" meeting, and it looks like it's officially broke: Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer have pulled out of a planned meeting Tuesday with President Trump that was to also be attended by Paul Ryan and Mitch McConnell, reports
. The five...
With Congress Back, GOP
Has 6 Potential Problems
Nov 27, 2017 2:43 PM CST
With Congress Back, GOP Has 6 Potential Problems
Half-a-dozen Republican senators are wavering on tax reform, enough to kill it
- Congress returned to work on Monday after the holiday break, and the stretch between now and Christmas promises to be a chaotic one. The main issue is that Republicans want to have their tax-overhaul plan on President Trump's desk before the year is out. That would be dicey enough...
DOJ Wants Judge to Reverse
DACA Records Demand
Oct 24, 2017 12:01 AM CDT
DOJ Wants Judge to Reverse DACA Records Demand
Activists are suing the Trump administration over his decision to end the program
- The Department of Justice told a court on Monday that it shouldn't have to turn over records related to President Donald Trump's decision to end a program protecting some young immigrants from deportation, the AP reports. Lawyers for Trump's administration asked the 2nd US Circuit Court of...
Hard-Line Measures in
Return for DACA Deal
Oct 9, 2017 3:15 AM CDT
Trump Wants Hard-Line Measures in Return for DACA Deal
List makes no attempt at compromise, Democrats complain
- The "deal" with President Trump on DACA that top Democrats spoke of last month is still very much a work in progress—and the two sides are so far apart that it might not happen at all. In a list of "principles" released by the White House Sunday...
With Deadline Hours Away, 36K
Hadn't Sent in DACA Renewals
Oct 5, 2017 6:47 PM CDT
With Deadline Hours Away, 36K Hadn't Sent in DACA Renewals
Renewal submissions are outstanding from about 23% of those eligible
- Tens of thousands of young people eligible for renewed protection from deportation had yet to submit their applications hours before a Trump administration deadline Thursday night, the AP reports. Under a phase-out plan announced by the president last month, more than 150,000 people covered by the Obama-era Deferred Action...
Coulter Raises Impeachment
After Trump's DACA Moves
Sep 14, 2017 12:36 PM CDT
Coulter Raises Impeachment After Trump's DACA Moves
Right seethes amid confusion over status of president's supposed deal with Democrats
- So is there is a deal between President Trump and Democrats to protect "Dreamers" or not? Based on Thursday's confusion , the answer apparently boils down to semantics, observes Politico . But this much is clear: Trump and Democrats are close enough that the president's right-wing base is furious....
Trump: No, I Don't Have a
DACA Deal With Democrats
Sep 14, 2017 6:43 AM CDT
Trump: No, I Don't Have a DACA Deal With Democrats
But president offers support for Dreamers in a pair of tweets
- Thursday morning brings a dose of confusion to the debate over the fate of young undocumented immigrants. President Trump tweeted that he and top Democrats had
reached a deal about the fate of the Dreamers, despite Democrats' assertion Wednesday night to the contrary. "No deal was made last...
Pope Francis Says Trump Isn't
'Pro-Life' If He Ends DACA
Sep 11, 2017 4:19 PM CDT
Pope Francis Says Trump Isn't 'Pro-Life' If He Ends DACA
The president gets another high-profile critic of his most recent immigration decision
- Since President Trump made the decision to end the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, he has received criticism from across the political and social spectrum, from immigrants-rights groups and Fortune 500 CEOs to evangelical Christian preachers and Republican members of Congress. Now the president can add the pope to...
Stories 41 - 56 |
Popular on Newser
Surfer Hit the Water, Heard 'Crunch, Crunch, Crunch'
'Like Living in a Horror Film' After Minks Escape From Farm
Fetterman Takes On Senate Dress-Code Fury With Boebert Jab
One Republican Comes to Garland's Defense in Hearing
Amazon Driver Dropped the Box. The Snake Struck
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.