Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
Is 'Lying' or
Mar 25, 2018 12:11 PM CDT
Sen. Kaine Says Trump Is 'Lying' or 'Delusional'
Virginia senator heats up DACA blame game
- Virginia Sen. Tim Kaine fired back at President Trump Sunday over DACA's demise, which Trump blames on Democrats. "He is either lying or he is completely delusional,” Kaine says on CNN’s
State of the Union
, per Politico . "If President Trump believes in DACA, all he...
Over: Trump Signs
$1.3T Spending Bill
Mar 23, 2018 1:11 PM CDT
'Ridiculous Situation' Over: Trump Signs $1.3T Spending Bill
He said he felt he had to for the 'military,' but he's 'unhappy' about DACA and lack of funding for wall
- He sent DC into a tizzy Friday morning by threatening to veto the $1.3 trillion spending bill that was passed by Congress, but by early Friday afternoon, President Trump said he'd sign off on the omnibus initiative after all, per CBS News . At a White House press conference...
Trump Stuns DC With
Threat to Veto Budget Bill
Mar 23, 2018 8:38 AM CDT
Trump Stuns DC With Threat to Veto Budget Bill
He's upset it doesn't deal with Dreamers or his proposed border wall
- Congress passed a last-hour spending bill early Friday, but the risk of a government shutdown remains: President Trump is threatening to veto the $1.3 trillion spending plan, reports the Hill . Trump complained that the measure doesn't address the fate of young, undocumented immigrants known as Dreamers and doesn'...
'Dreamers' Left Behind
in $1.3T Budget Bill
Mar 22, 2018 12:38 AM CDT
'Dreamers' Left Behind in $1.3T Budget Bill
'No bill of this size is perfect,' Ryan says
- Congressional leaders finalized a sweeping $1.3 trillion budget bill Wednesday that substantially boosts military and domestic spending but leaves behind young immigrant "Dreamers," deprives President Trump some of his border wall money, and takes only incremental steps to address gun violence. With an end-of-the-week deadline to fund...
Supreme Court Rejects
Trump Request on Dreamers
Feb 26, 2018 9:06 AM CST
Supreme Court Rejects Trump Request on Dreamers
Justices won't intervene quickly, suggesting program may continue after deadline
- Some good news for "Dreamers," though it could prove temporary: The Supreme Court has rejected the Trump administration's highly unusual bid to get the justices to intervene in the controversy over protections for hundreds of thousands of young immigrants. The justices on Monday refused to take up...
Trump Blames Democrats for
Failing to Protect Dreamers
Feb 16, 2018 1:58 PM CST
Trump Blames Democrats for Failing to Protect Dreamers
But he threatened to veto bipartisan bill
- Lawmakers had three chances to protect Dreamers from deportation in the form of three separate bills voted on by the Senate on Thursday. None passed , and President Trump laid the blame on Democrats on Friday, the Hill reports. "Cannot believe how BADLY DACA recipients have been treated by the...
Bipartisan Immigration Bill for
Dreamers Falls 6 Votes Short
Feb 15, 2018 5:24 PM CST
Bipartisan Immigration Bill for Dreamers Falls 6 Votes Short
Meanwhile, Trump-supported rival bill tanks
- The Senate voted on four immigration bills Thursday, Reuters reports. All four failed, leaving hundreds of thousands of Dreamers to once again fear deportation. The toughest loss was a bipartisan bill written by eight Republicans, seven Democrats, and an Independent, which fell just six votes short of passing, according to...
Senators Reach Deal
on Dreamers, Wall
Feb 15, 2018 12:11 AM CST
Senators Reach Deal on Dreamers, Wall
Leaders hope to end showdown with Thursday vote
- A group of senators reached a bipartisan agreement Wednesday aimed at balancing Democrats' fight to offer citizenship to young "Dreamer" immigrants with President Trump's demands for billions to build his coveted border wall with Mexico. Though the compromise was announced by 16 senators with centrist views on the...
Pelosi's Speech for Dreamers
Breaks 109-Year-Old Record
Feb 7, 2018 6:36 PM CST
Pelosi's Speech for Dreamers Breaks 109-Year-Old Record
House Minority leader spoke for over 8 hours
- Nancy Pelosi staged a record-breaking, eight-hour speech Wednesday in an attempt to force a House vote on protections for the "Dreamer" immigrants—and to prove to an increasingly angry wing of progressives and activists that she has done all she could, the AP reports. Wearing four-inch heels and forgoing...
Trump Offers 'Breakthrough'
on Immigration Deal
Jan 25, 2018 6:39 AM CST
Trump Offers 'Breakthrough' on Immigration Deal
He's open to path to citizenship for Dreamers
- President Trump says he wants Congress to have a deal on immigration and the border ready by the time he returns from the Davos forum in Switzerland—and he says he is open to the deal including a path for citizenship for DACA recipients. "We're going to morph...
'Cryin' Chuck Schumer'
Jan 24, 2018 7:04 AM CST
Trump Taunts 'Cryin' Chuck Schumer'
Schumer withdraws border wall funding deal
- President Trump has blown the best offer he is likely to get for border wall funding, Democrats say. Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer says an offer he made for wall funding in exchange for a DACA deal has been yanked, Politico reports. He says the offer was made around noon...
How a 'Talking Stick'
Helped End the Shutdown
Jan 23, 2018 6:45 AM CST
How a 'Talking Stick' Helped End the Shutdown
As President Trump crows about 'big win' for GOP
- The government shutdown is over and hundreds of thousands of federal employees will be returning to work Tuesday—but with only a stopgap plan to fund the government in place until Feb. 8, they could end up furloughed again in the near future. In return for Democratic votes, Senate Majority...
GOP Senator Blames
Trump Aide for Impasse
Jan 22, 2018 6:21 AM CST
GOP Senator Blames Trump Aide for Impasse
Government shutdown stretches into Monday
- A deal to end the government shutdown before the beginning of the workweek failed Sunday night, meaning the first shutdown since 2013 will stretch into Monday—and possibly much longer. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell announced Sunday night that a vote on a deal to fund the government through Feb....
Trump Ad: Dems
'Complicit' in Murders
by Illegal Immigrants
Jan 21, 2018 12:00 PM CST
Trump Ad: Dems 'Complicit' in Murders by Illegal Immigrants
Dems are furious, even some Republicans are concerned
- Just hours into the government shutdown, the Trump campaign released a video claiming that Democrats in Congress will be "complicit" in every murder committed by immigrants in the country illegally, the Hill reports. "President Trump is right—build the wall, deport criminals, stop illegal immigration now," the...
Bill Passes House, but
Shutdown Still Looms
Jan 19, 2018 1:23 AM CST
Bill Passes House, but Shutdown Still Looms
Senate Democrats are expected to kill it
- A government shutdown starting midnight Friday is looking like a strong possibility: A short-term spending bill to avert a government shutdown was passed by the House Thursday evening, largely along party lines, but the measure appears unlikely to pass the Senate, Reuters reports. After a last-minute deal with the conservative...
Kelly: Trump Campaign
Jan 18, 2018 4:34 AM CST
Kelly: Trump Campaign Stances 'Uninformed'
He says the president's views on immigration are 'evolving'
- After a year in office, President Trump's views on immigration are still "evolving," and some of the promises he made during his campaign were "uninformed," according to White House chief of staff John Kelly. Insiders tell the
that during a closed-door meeting with...
Sessions Takes 'Rare Step'
With Court Request on DACA
Jan 16, 2018 3:09 PM CST
Sessions Takes 'Rare Step' With Court Request on DACA
Attorney general wants the Supreme Court to review judge's decision
- The Trump administration is apparently so sure that a federal court it deems to be liberal will rule against it on DACA that it's taking the unusual step of simultaneously appealing to the Supreme Court. Attorney General Jeff Sessions said Tuesday that the Justice Department will ask the high...
Dad of 2 Who's Too Old for
DACA Protection Is Deported
Jan 16, 2018 9:45 AM CST
Dad of 2 Who's Too Old for DACA Protection Is Deported
39-year-old landscaper Jorge Garcia came to the US when he was 10
- Jorge Garcia has lived in the US since he was 10, has paid all his taxes since he first got a job, and doesn't even have so much as a traffic ticket to his name, his supporters say—but on Martin Luther King Day, the 39-year-old landscaper and father...
Trump Had Abrupt Change of
Heart Before DACA Meeting
Jan 16, 2018 6:20 AM CST
Trump Had Abrupt Change of Heart Before DACA Meeting
'WaPo' reports his pro-deal tone changed within a span of hours
- "Durbin blew DACA," proclaimed President Trump in a tweet Monday night, the latest unraveling between the two men in the wake of Thursday's now infamous meeting on immigration. The
reports that before Trump allegedly spoke of "shithole" ( or "shithouse" ) countries, there...
Durbin 'Blew DACA'
Jan 15, 2018 7:15 PM CST
Trump Says Durbin 'Blew DACA' With Accusation
The president also says the Democratic senator 'blew DACA'
- President Trump is accusing Democratic Sen. Dick Durbin of misrepresenting the discussion on immigration during a recent meeting at the White House. And he says the Illinois senator is threatening prospects for a deal to protect certain immigrants, per the AP . Trump tweeted Monday: "Senator Dicky Durbin totally misrepresented...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
Congresswoman in Testy Exchange Over Hamas Rapes
Redwoods Surprise Scientists With a Survival Tactic
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Ukrainian Sniper Claims World Record
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.