Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School
Stories 21 - 40 |
Survivors Protest at
White House, Slam Biden
Feb 15, 2022 2:04 AM CST
Parkland Families, Survivors Protest at White House, Slam Biden
Father of one victim arrested after scaling crane
- Four years after 17 students and others were gunned down at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., families and gun control advocates pressed President Biden on Monday to do more to address gun violence. Protesters demonstrated near the White House, and the father of one teenager killed at the...
In Parkland, a New Threat:
'I Hope Y'all Aren't Snitches'
Dec 3, 2021 4:15 PM CST
In Parkland, a New Threat: 'I Hope Y'all Aren't Snitches'
17-year-old junior arrested after hinting at school shooting at Stoneman Douglas
- A South Florida teenager has been arrested after investigators learned he made a threat against Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, the site of a mass shooting that killed 17 people on Valentine's Day in 2018. A caller reported seeing the threat late Wednesday night, according to the Broward Sheriff'...
Parkland Families Settle
Suit Over FBI Inaction
Nov 23, 2021 12:00 AM CST
Parkland Families Settle Suit Over FBI Inaction
Case concerned FBI's inaction after receiving a tip about the killer's plans
This story has been updated with new information from the
Wall Street Journal. The families of most of those killed and wounded in the 2018 Florida high school massacre announced Monday they have settled their lawsuit against the federal government over the FBI's failure to stop the gunman...
Nikolas Cruz's Lawyer in
Court: Burgundy Isn't Maroon
Nov 16, 2021 2:42 PM CST
Nikolas Cruz's Lawyer in Court: Burgundy Isn't Maroon
Team trying to bar prosecutors from showing evidence in January death penalty phase of trial
- Attorneys for Florida high school shooter Nikolas Cruz told a judge Monday that detectives made false statements to get the search warrants allowing them to seize evidence from his cellphone and bedroom—arguing at one point that burgundy and maroon are not the same color. The attorneys want Circuit Judge...
Nikolas Cruz Admits Anxiety as
He Pleads Guilty to Massacre
Oct 20, 2021 9:45 AM CDT
Nikolas Cruz Admits Anxiety as He Pleads Guilty to Massacre
Parkland shooter admits to 17 counts of murder, 17 of attempted murder
- Nikolas Cruz pleaded guilty to murder on Wednesday in the 2018 high school massacre in Parkland, Fla., that left 17 dead. Cruz, 23, entered his plea after answering a long list of questions from Circuit Judge Elizabeth Scherer aimed at confirming his mental competency. Local 10 reports he did tell...
Dual Guilty Pleas in
Play for Parkland Suspect
Oct 15, 2021 1:20 PM CDT
Dual Guilty Pleas in Play for Parkland Suspect
Nikolas Cruz admits to assaulting jail guard, will enter plea Wednesday for 2018 school massacre
- The suspect accused of carrying out the 2018 mass shooting at a Parkland, Fla., high school that killed 14 students and three staff members and injured 17 others will be entering a guilty plea in that case next week, his lawyer announced Friday. CNN reports that Broward County Circuit Judge...
Nikolas Cruz Loses
His Colored Pencils
Oct 7, 2021 12:15 PM CDT
Nikolas Cruz Loses His Colored Pencils
Attorneys sparred over whether he should have them
- Nikolas Cruz is on trial for allegedly attacking a jail guard in November 2018, with jury selection having started Tuesday—and an unusual dispute between attorneys having bubbled up Wednesday. While Cruz was described as alert and focused on Tuesday, Local 10 reports he "appeared distressed" the next day...
Parkland Defendant's Lawyer:
Don't Call Him a Killer
Sep 2, 2021 2:29 PM CDT
Parkland Defendant's Lawyer: Don't Call Him a Killer
Lawyer for Nikolas Cruz wants to ban 'inflammatory' language in court
- Nikolas Cruz’s defense team wants prosecutors to be careful with language. Cruz, whose long-delayed trial could finally go forward this month, is accused of killing 17 at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Florida on Feb. 14, 2018. His lead attorney, assistant public defender Melisa McNeill, asked that he...
Cop Who Allegedly
Hid During Parkland
Shooting to Face Trial
Aug 20, 2021 2:54 AM CDT
Cop Who Allegedly Hid During Parkland Shooting to Face Trial
Judge declines to dismiss 11 charges against ex-deputy Scot Peterson
- The former Broward County Sheriff's deputy accused of hiding as 17 people were killed during a mass shooting at a Parkland, Florida, high school will face trial. A judge on Thursday denied a motion to dismiss the 11 charges against Scot Peterson, who was the school resource officer at...
Couple Will 'Forever Regret'
Taking in Nikolas Cruz
Jul 29, 2020 1:40 PM CDT
Couple Will 'Forever Regret' Taking in Nikolas Cruz
'We were particularly wrong to allow him to store his firearms in our house'
- A Florida couple regrets ever taking in a disturbed teenager in the months before he allegedly carried out the 2018 massacre at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School. In a letter that is part of a legal agreement to settle numerous civil lawsuits, James and Kimberly Snead said they should have...
He Was Suspended
Over Parkland, Is
Now Out for Good
Oct 24, 2019 9:00 AM CDT
He Was Suspended Over Parkland, Is Now Out for Good
State Senate in Florida votes to remove Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel
- Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis had already suspended Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel. Now the state Senate has removed Israel from his elected position for good. CNN reports on the 25-15 vote Wednesday that now makes Israel's removal official; it came nine months after DeSantis put Israel's job on...
Jun 26, 2019 1:12 PM CDT
2 More Officers Terminated After Parkland Probe
Broward County Sheriff's Office investigated 7 officers, 4 of whom ended up fired
- Two more officers who responded to the shooting at Parkland, Florida's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School have been terminated from the Broward County Sheriff's Office, CNN reports. Sheriff Gregory Tony announced Wednesday that Edward Eason and Josh Stambaugh were terminated Tuesday for neglect of duty. The terminations resulted...
Ex-Deputy Charged for Failure
to Act During Parkland Shooting
Jun 4, 2019 3:51 PM CDT
Ex-Deputy Charged for Failure to Act During Parkland Shooting
Scot Peterson was also formally terminated from sheriff's office
- The former Florida deputy who failed to confront a gunman during last year's Parkland school massacre was arrested Tuesday on 11 criminal charges related to his actions, prosecutors announced. Broward State Attorney Mike Satz said in a statement that 56-year-old Scot Peterson faces child neglect, culpable negligence, and perjury...
Public Defender Asks to Drop
School Shooting Suspect
Apr 25, 2019 2:38 AM CDT
Public Defender Asks to Drop School Shooting Suspect
Nikolas Cruz is set to inherit $432K
- The public defenders for the Parkland school massacre suspect unexpectedly asked to withdraw from the case Wednesday, saying the 20-year-old man will soon inherit nearly a half-million dollars and no longer qualify for free legal representation. The Broward County Public Defender's Office filed the unexpected notice late Wednesday, saying...
A Year Later, the US
Feb 14, 2019 1:22 PM CST
A Year Later, the US Remembers Parkland
With moment of silence, and more
- One year later, Southwest Florida schools honored the victims of the mass shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Fla., with a moment of silence at 10:17am Thursday. Schools in at least three counties did so, per Fox 4 ; Local 10 estimates hundreds of thousands of students...
'Neglect of Duty'
Jan 12, 2019 6:00 AM CST
Broward Sheriff Suspended for 'Incompetence,' 'Neglect of Duty'
Gov. Ron DeSantis pulls Broward County Sheriff Scott Israel over criticism on Parkland shooting
- There's a new sheriff in Broward County, Fla. That's because Scott Israel, the one in that job during the February shooting at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, has been suspended by Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, per the
. Israel was removed from his post for "repeated failures,...
Cops Had No Legal
Duty to Protect
Dec 18, 2018 1:09 PM CST
Judge: School, Cops Had No Legal Duty to Protect Parkland Teens
But another judge last week had a different view about officer Scot Peterson
- A federal judge has tossed a lawsuit claiming sheriff's deputies and school officials failed to protect students during the Feb. 14 Parkland shooting. Claiming severe trauma and psychological injuries, 15 students of Florida's Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School argued their civil and due process rights were violated. "...
16-Year-Olds May Get
Historic Right in DC
Nov 4, 2018 6:31 AM CST
16-Year-Olds May Get Historic Right in DC
Council to vote on measure allowing them to vote in national elections, including for president
- Washington, DC, appears poised to become the first municipality in the nation to let 16-year-olds vote in national elections, including presidential races. A measure to lower the voting age from 18 to 16 cleared a committee last week and now heads to the full council, reports WTOP . To pass, it...
Has Big Plans
When He's 25
Aug 20, 2018 1:48 PM CDT
David Hogg Has Big Plans When He's 25
That's when the 18-year-old intends to be elected to Congress
magazine is out with a profile of David Hogg, the high school student who has become a leader of a youth movement for stricter gun laws after the mass shooting at his school in Parkland, Fla. The story follows Hogg on the road as part of a...
Father of Parkland Survivors
Killed in Armed Robbery
Jul 20, 2018 4:05 PM CDT
Father of Parkland Survivors Killed in Armed Robbery
Ayub Ali was shot Tuesday, months after his son and daughter survived the attack at their school
- Months after two siblings survived the school shooting in Parkland, Florida , gun violence has again rocked their family and, this time, they weren't as lucky. Per NBC Miami , Ayub Ali was killed in an armed robbery of his North Ft. Lauderdale convenience store. The Broward County Sheriff's Office...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
Boomers Throw a Wrench Into Housing Market
The Opioid Crisis Is Crossing Over to Something Darker
Dolly Parton's Sister Has a NSFW Message for Critics
Mother of Burlington Suspect: He Thinks 'World Is a Mess'
Here's Merriam-Webster's Word of the Year for 2023
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.