Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Nov 8, 2023 12:30 AM CST
House Censures Rashida Tlaib
She says her criticism of Israeli government does not amount to antisemitism
- Days after a resolution to censure her was blocked in the House of Representatives, the chamber on Tuesday voted to censure Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib. The Republican-led resolution passed 234-188, with four Republicans voting against it and 22 Democrats voting for it, CNN reports. Tlaib, the first Palestinian-American woman to...
6-Word Phrase on Israel
Nov 6, 2023 8:54 AM CST
6-Word Phrase on Israel Stokes Controversy
Rep. Rashida Tlaib invokes 'from the river to the sea,' which some see as an anti-Israeli rallying cry
- The lone Palestinian-American in Congress is defending her use of a six-word phrase—"from the river to the sea"—that has become a political flashpoint in the US over the Israel-Hamas war. "From the river to the sea is an aspirational call for freedom, human rights, and...
Nov 1, 2023 7:40 PM CDT
House Votes to Keep Santos
Republicans help block censure of Tlaib
- Rep. George Santos easily survived a vote to expel him from the House on Wednesday night as most Republicans opted to withhold punishment while both his criminal trial and a House Ethics Committee investigation proceed. A resolution to censure Democratic Rep. Rashida Tlaib over her criticism of Israel also was...
Calls for an
Oct 18, 2023 1:30 AM CDT
Calls for an Israel Ceasefire Are Growing
178 legal scholars are the latest to call for Israel ceasefire
- Even before the horror over the hundreds killed at a Gaza hospital Tuesday, legal scholars in the US were calling on President Biden— who said he was "outraged" at the hospital tragedy—to work toward an immediate ceasefire. Gaza officials say an Israeli airstrike hit the hospital, but Israel...
'The Squad' Gets
Amid Increased Threats
Oct 13, 2023 1:00 AM CDT
'The Squad' Gets Security Briefing Amid Increased Threats
Threats against progressive lawmakers are up, sources say
- Since the Hamas attack on Israel, threats against some of the most progressive lawmakers have seen a "major uptick," according to the sources who spoke to Politico . Members of the House of Representatives' so-called "Squad" and other left-wing Democrats, including Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Ilhan Omar, Ayanna Pressley, Rashida...
Tlaib Faces Censure Motion
Over Remarks on Israel
Oct 12, 2023 12:15 PM CDT
Tlaib Faces Censure Motion Over Remarks on Israel
She says Hamas attack was a 'war crime,' but so is 'collective punishment of Palestinians'
- The only Palestinian American in Congress is facing a censure motion over her remarks on the Hamas attack on Israel, but Rep. Rashida Tlaib rejects suggestions that she has sympathies for the extremists. The Democrat, whose Michigan district includes parts of Detroit, tells the
Detroit Free Press
that she considers...
Palestinian Event at Capitol
May 11, 2023 7:20 AM CDT
McCarthy Blocks Palestinian Event at Capitol
He accuses Tlaib of pushing 'antisemitic tropes about Israel'
- House Speaker Kevin McCarthy, accusing Rep. Rashida Tlaib of antisemitism, tried to block an event the Democrat had planned to sponsor at the Capitol to mark the 75th anniversary of what Arabs call the Nakba, or "the catastrophe"—the displacement or forced removal of Palestinians when the state...
Calls Out Dems
to Biden's SOTU
Mar 2, 2022 12:00 AM CST
Rashida Tlaib Calls Out Dems in Response to Biden's SOTU
'Corporate backed Democratic obstructionists' helped Republicans block Biden agenda
- Rashida Tlaib's controversial progressive response to President Biden's State of the Union address did indeed call out members of her own party: "No one fought harder for President Biden's agenda than progressives," the Democratic congresswoman and member of the so-called "Squad" said, per Fox...
Democrats Fuming Over Tlaib's
State of the Union Plan
Mar 1, 2022 6:00 PM CST
Democrats Fuming Over Tlaib's State of the Union Plan
'Squad' member will give a progressive response to Biden's speech
This story has been updated with new developments
. President Biden delivers his first State of the Union Address in prime time Tuesday night, with no shortage of big-ticket items to discuss. What to know ahead of the speech, which is scheduled to begin at 9pm Eastern:
President will say
Twitter Catches Flak Over Its
Response to Trump's Illness
Oct 5, 2020 2:01 PM CDT
Twitter Catches Flak Over Its Response to Trump's Illness
Other users wonder why Twitter didn't do anything about tweets threatening them
- Word that Twitter won't allow any tweets expressing hope that harm comes to someone has users wondering why action wasn't taken until President Trump fell ill. Twitter cited a rule that it said has been in place since April against abusive behavior in saying last week that tweets...
It Was a Big Primary Night,
and a Good One for the GOP
Aug 5, 2020 6:33 AM CDT
It Was a Big Primary Night, and a Good One for the GOP
Kris Kobach lost the Republican primary in Kansas
- FiveThirtyEight dubbed it "Super Tuesday III." Yesterday marked the last major primary day of the election year, with voters in Arizona, Kansas, Michigan, Missouri, and Washington casting a ballot. And the results have Republicans largely breathing a sigh of relief. Major takeaways.
How Steven Shepard at Politico
Trump Unloads on Jews
Who Vote Democrat
Aug 20, 2019 5:26 PM CDT
Trump Unloads on Jews Who Vote Democrat
The president says it might be a case of 'disloyalty'
- Showing a fresh willingness to play politics along religious and racial lines, President Donald Trump said Tuesday that American Jewish people who vote for Democrats show "either a total lack of knowledge or great disloyalty." Trump's claim triggered a quick uproar from critics who said the president...
Trump: 'I Don't Buy'
Tears of Rep. Tlaib
Aug 20, 2019 1:12 PM CDT
Trump: 'I Don't Buy' Tears of Rep. Tlaib
President responds to her critical news conference by calling her an anti-Semite
- On Monday, Rep. Rashida Tlaib became emotional when criticizing Israel's decision to block her official visit to the country. On Tuesday, President Trump said he doubted her sincerity during that news conference. "Sorry, I don’t buy Rep. Tlaib’s tears," he tweeted . "I have watched...
Rep. Tlaib: Maybe People
Should Boycott Bill Maher
Aug 18, 2019 7:11 AM CDT
Rep. Tlaib: Maybe People Should Boycott Bill Maher
She fires back after HBO host calls anti-Israeli boycott movement a bogus 'purity test'
- Bill Maher has weighed in on the controversy over Israel's decision to bar two congresswomen from visiting that nation—and he's not on the side of the two congresswomen. In the latest episode of his HBO show, Maher called the boycott of Israel supported by Reps. Ilhan Omar...
Tlaib: I Won't Accept
Israel's Conditions for Trip
Aug 16, 2019 8:18 AM CDT
Tlaib: I Won't Accept Israel's Conditions for Trip
Lawmaker will not visit West Bank to see her grandmother
- Rep. Rashida Tlaib will not travel to the West Bank to visit her grandmother after all. After Israel said it would allow the Michigan congressman to enter the country to visit her 90-year-old grandmother—on the condition she not promote a boycott of Israel—Tlaib rejected the offer. "Silencing...
After Trump Pressure, Israel
Cancels Lawmakers' Visit
Aug 15, 2019 2:56 PM CDT
After Trump Pressure, Israel Cancels Lawmakers' Visit
Reps. Ilhan Omar and Rashida Tlaib, critics of Israel, planned to visit the country
- Last week, 41 Democratic members of Congress visited Israel, and 31 Republicans are currently there now, reports the
. Such routine visits don't generate much attention. By contrast, the proposed visit of two more members of Congress very much surfaced as a source of international headlines—because those...
GOP Group Sorry
for 'Jihad Squad' Post
Jul 22, 2019 2:58 AM CDT
GOP Group Sorry for 'Jihad Squad' Post
'Political jihad is their game,' Illinois group said of Democratic lawmakers
- An Illinois Republican group has apologized and removed from its Facebook page a post that showed images of four Democratic congresswomen who have been criticized by President Trump and referred to them as the "Jihad Squad." The post appeared Friday night on the Republican County Chairman's Association...
House Readies Vote, as
Trump Denies Racism
Jul 16, 2019 1:00 PM CDT
House Readies Vote, as Trump Denies Racism
'I don't have a Racist bone in my body!' he writes
- The controversy over President Trump's tweeted criticism of four progressive lawmakers was poised to ratchet up even more Tuesday as the House prepared to vote on a resolution condemning his words as racist. Before the vote, however, Trump shot back against that accusation. Details and developments:
Pelosi Says a Resolution
Condemning Trump Is Coming
Jul 15, 2019 1:48 PM CDT
Pelosi Says a Resolution Condemning Trump Is Coming
While Trump says, 'Many people agree with me'
- Democrats and several right-wing commentators were quick to denounce President Trump's Sunday tweet that four progressive Democratic congresswomen should "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested [countries] from which they came." Now Republican lawmakers are starting to offer their own take. In a...
Trump Posts 2 More Tweets on
Jul 15, 2019 8:01 AM CDT
Trump Posts 2 More Tweets on 'Unpopular Congresswomen'
The president didn't start his week by backing down
- President Trump started his Monday by essentially doubling down on a Sunday tweet that has been the target of widespread condemnation. After his remark that four progressive Democratic congresswomen should "go back and help fix the totally broken and crime infested [countries] from which they came" was blasted by...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Kelsey Grammer Interview Abruptly Ends After Trump Question
A 'Shocking' Find on Trading Ahead of Hamas' Oct. 7 Attack
Fetterman Forks Over $343.20 for a Santos Troll Video
Canadian Entrepreneur, Philanthropist Found Dead With His Partner
Mackenzie Phillips: I Forgave Dad for Me, Not Him
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.