Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
Danish Queen 'Sorry' She
Stripped Grandkids' Titles
Oct 4, 2022 1:39 AM CDT
Danish Queen 'Sorry' She Stripped Grandkids' Titles
Queen Margrethe II issues apologetic but firm statement
Denmark's Queen Margrethe II has issued a mea culpa after her decision to strip four of her eight grandchildren of their royal titles caused some hurt feelings in the family. In a statement issued Monday, the queen says she was simply trying to "future-proof" the monarchy and...
After Queen's Funeral,
Another Queen Has COVID
Sep 21, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
After Queen's Funeral, Another Queen Has COVID
Denmark's Queen Margrethe tested positive the day after London funeral
- Denmark's Queen Margrethe II tested positive for COVID-19 the day after she attended Queen Elizabeth II's state funeral in London, the palace says. The 82-year-old, who became Europe's longest-serving monarch after the death of the British queen, was one of around 2,000 guests at the Westminster...
King Bluetooth Lies at Center
of an Archaeological Dispute
Aug 1, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
King Bluetooth Lies at Center of an Archaeological Dispute
Archaeologist and researcher say he was buried in Poland, but they don't agree on where
- More than 1,000 years after his death in what's now Poland, a European king whose nickname lives on through wireless technology is at the center of an archaeological dispute. Chronicles from the Middle Ages say King Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson of Denmark acquired his nickname courtesy of a...
'Denmark Was Hit by a
Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
Jul 3, 2022 10:00 PM CDT
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
3 killed in Copenhagen shopping mall, others injured
This story has been updated throughout with the confirmed death toll and other details.
A gunman opened fired inside a busy shopping mall in the Danish capital on Sunday, killing three people and wounding others, three critically, police said. A 22-year-old Danish man was arrested, Copenhagen police inspector Søren...
International Deal Ends
the 'Friendliest of All Wars'
Jun 14, 2022 4:01 PM CDT
International Deal Ends the 'Friendliest of All Wars'
Canada, Denmark will split disputed Arctic island
- A long-running—and very polite—dispute between Canada and Denmark over an Arctic island is over. The "Whisky War" started in 1973, when the countries agreed to a boundary in the Nares Strait separating Canada and Greenland, an autonomous part of the Kingdom of Denmark, but the status of...
Denmark Living Like
It's February 2020 Again
Feb 1, 2022 4:51 PM CST
Denmark Living Like It's February 2020 Again
Country does away with nearly all COVID restrictions
- It's back to life like it was in February 2020 in Denmark. The country has done away with nearly all restrictions related to COVID-19, which it says isn't a "socially critical sickness" anymore. It's the first EU country to do so, and it means mask requirements...
'Stealth Omicron' Has
Arrived in the US
Jan 26, 2022 10:05 AM CST
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
BA.2, now in 40 nations, may be more contagious than original omicron, though data is limited
- Cases of an omicron subvariant have popped up in at least 40 countries, including the US. Health officials in California's Santa Clara County confirmed two cases of "stealth omicron," or BA.2, on Tuesday, adding to 11 existing cases in the state as of Monday, reports the...
Dozens in IKEA Overnight
Dec 3, 2021 5:12 AM CST
Snowstorm Strands Dozens in IKEA Overnight
Customers, workers in Denmark got to 'pick the exact bed they always have wanted to try'
- Dozens of people stranded by a snowstorm in Denmark this week didn't have as much beer available as a group that was stuck in a British pub for days after a storm—but they had no shortage of beds to choose from. Six customers and 25 employees had to...
During Pandemic, This Nation's
Economy Takes Top Billing
Sep 30, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
During Pandemic, This Nation's Economy Takes Top Billing
Switzerland is No. 1 on WIPO's Global Innovation Index for 132 economies around the world
- To get through something like a pandemic, countries have had to innovate—especially when it comes to keeping their economies humming. And there are "reasons to be optimistic" on that front, according to one of the editors of the World Intellectual Property Organization's annual Global Innovation Index , which...
Lennon Tape Not Heard for
50 Years Hits Auction Block
Sep 29, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Lennon Tape Not Heard for 50 Years Hits Auction Block
Includes never-released 'Radio Peace,' performed during John and Yoko's 1970 Denmark visit
- Think you've heard every John Lennon bootleg, remaster, and import? There's a new tape in the mix, unheard for more than 50 years, though you'll have to convince the person who just bought it for $58,300 at auction to play it. The 33-minute recording made in...
Artist Takes Museum's $84K,
Produces 2 Blank Canvases
Sep 29, 2021 2:30 AM CDT
Artist Takes Museum's $84K, Produces 2 Blank Canvases
'Take the Money and Run' is about artists' working conditions, Jens Haaning says
- When Denmark's Kunsten Museum of Modern Art gave Jens Haaning $84,000, it expected the artist to recreate two of his previous works. Instead, the museum says, Haaning gave it two blank canvases. "The curator received an email in which Jens Haaning wrote that he had made a...
Sep 25, 2021 3:06 PM CDT
Norway Drops Pandemic Rules
Handshakes are permitted again, health minister says
- New coronavirus infections in Norway have dropped by half in the past two weeks. New hospitalizations have leveled off. And University of Oxford data show that 67% of the population is fully vaccinated, while 10% has had its first shot. So the government canceled its pandemic restrictions on Saturday, the...
Denmark Plans to Ban Lifers
From Starting New Romances
Sep 16, 2021 1:48 PM CDT
Denmark Plans to Ban Lifers From Starting New Romances
They're worried about prison 'groupies,' including a teen who fell for Peter Madsen
- Peter Madsen, the Danish man serving a life sentence for torturing, killing, and dismembering journalist Kim Wall on his submarine in 2017, apparently has a busier love life than many people on the outside—and the country's lawmakers want to put an end to it. A new bill introduced...
Jun 18, 2021 1:27 PM CDT
Soccer Player Home From Hospital After Field Collapse
Denmark's Christian Eriksen suffered cardiac arrest during Euro 2020 match
- Christian Eriksen was discharged from the hospital on Friday and immediately went to visit his Denmark teammates nearly a week after suffering cardiac arrest during a European Championship match. The Danish soccer federation wrote on Twitter that Eriksen was released from the Rigshospitalet in central Copenhagen after a successful operation....
First Country Permanently
Halts Use of AZ Vaccine
Apr 14, 2021 4:02 PM CDT
First Country Permanently Halts Use of AZ Vaccine
Denmark cites 'real risk of side effects'
- Another setback for the troubled European Union COVID vaccination campaign: Denmark has become the first country to permanently stop using the AstraZeneca vaccine because of a link to rare cases of blood clots , reports Reuters . Danish Health Authority director Soren Brostroem said Wednesday there there is a "real risk...
They Found Safety in Denmark.
Now They're Told to Go
Apr 14, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
They Found Safety in Denmark. Now They're Told to Go
Denmark becomes first EU country to revoke Syrians' residence permits
- "I'm not a danger. I'm not a criminal." You might be inclined to agree. What Ghalia al-Asseh
is a chemistry and biotechnology student at the Technical University of Denmark, the country in which she has lived since fleeing Syria with her family in 2015. Now,...
This Is the Happiest
Country in the World
Mar 19, 2021 10:24 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Country in the World
It's not the US, which comes in at No. 14, per 'Forbes'
- Saturday is marked as the International Day of Happiness , and in some parts of the world, that contentment factor is especially prevalent.
reports on the 2021 World Happiness Report , the ninth installation, which calls the past year a year "like no other." The Gallup World Poll team...
2 Die of Blood Clots
After Vaccine Dose
Mar 11, 2021 7:22 AM CST
2 Die of Blood Clots After Vaccine Dose
Both doses came from batch ABV5300 of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine
- Denmark is suspending use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine for 14 days from Thursday following reports of "severe cases of blood clots." Health Minister Magnus Heunicke stresses the move is a "precautionary measure" as the fatal or life-threatening blood clots reported in a handful of vaccine recipients have...
Peter Madsen Gets
Another 21 Months
Feb 9, 2021 12:09 PM CST
Macabre Killer Peter Madsen Gets Another 21 Months
He is sentenced over his escape from prison after Kim Wall's submarine murder
- He was already serving life for one of Denmark's most notorious murders , but Peter Madsen just got another 21 months tacked on to his sentence. A court on Tuesday handed down the additional time for Madsen's stunning, if short-lived, escape from a prison in suburban Copenhagen last year,...
Yup, That's a Giant
Penis in a Kids Show
Jan 9, 2021 9:44 AM CST
Yup, That's a Giant Penis in a Kids Show
Danish Broadcasting Corporation's 'John Dillermand' arouses debate
- A new TV show has premiered in Denmark about a man with the world's largest penis, which he can't always control. Did we mention it's a kid's show? The animated series that premiered Saturday on the Danish Broadcasting Corporation (DR), aimed at 4- to 8-year-olds, has...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Oxford Dictionary Picks Its Word of the Year
What We Know About the Power Station Sabotage in NC
Jury Hears Suspect Describe Killing 4 Sex Workers
For Flyers in Europe, No More 'Airplane Mode'
82-Year-Old Arrested Over Her Unpaid $77 Trash Bill
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We see that you're using an ad-blocker.
To read our stories, you'll need to
turn off your ad-blocker.
As an advertising-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
Turn off your ad-blocker
(for Newser only)
One last step.
You have to do this part yourself.
But you're a smartie, and we'll help you out.
1. Click on your ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(It might look like this
2. Every ad-blocker is a bit different, but look for
an option like disable, whitelist, or trust and click it.
Thanks so much.