Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 1 - 20 |
This Is the
Nation on Earth
Oct 7, 2023 7:45 AM CDT
This Is the Most Innovative Nation on Earth
Switzerland is No. 1, again, while the US falls one spot
- Monday has already proven a banner day for innovation, with the Nobel Prize in medicine bestowed on Katalin Kariko and Drew Weissman for their work that helped develop the COVID-19 mRNA vaccines. Now, certain nations around the world can crow about their placement on the World Intellectual Property Organization's...
Unknowingly Kept From Having
Kids, They Want a Nation to Pay
Oct 3, 2023 12:36 PM CDT
Unknowingly Kept From Having Kids, They Want a Nation to Pay
67 women in Greenland demand Denmark provide compensation for involuntary birth control
- A group of women are demanding Greenland's former colonial ruler Denmark pay millions of dollars in compensation for an involuntary birth-control campaign launched in the 1960s to limit births among Greenland's Indigenous population. Records show 4,500 intrauterine devices were fitted into females as young as 13 without...
'Take the Money and Run' Artist
Told to Bring Back the Money
Sep 19, 2023 2:10 AM CDT
'Take the Money and Run' Artist Told to Bring Back the Money
Jens Haaning ordered to return money to museum after he produced blank canvases
- The Danish artist who took the money and ran—specifically, he took the money Denmark's Kunsten Museum of Modern Art gave him to reproduce two of his prior works, but instead of recreating them he simply gave the museum two blank canvases he called "Take the Money and...
Ukraine to Get Coveted F-16s
Aug 20, 2023 12:20 PM CDT
Ukraine to Get Coveted F-16s
US had backed transfer once pilots are trained
- President Volodymyr Zelensky has long been calling for Western nations to supply his armed forces with F-16 fighter jets, a plea that has become more urgent as Russian air dominance has slowed Ukraine's counteroffensive . On Sunday, Zelensky visited the Netherlands and Denmark to receive the promise of the fighters...
In Old Danish Paintings,
Researchers Make a Beery Find
May 31, 2023 2:04 PM CDT
In Old Danish Paintings, Researchers Make a Beery Find
Danish masters used brewery byproducts as a primer
- Painters' studios in the 19th-century Danish Golden Age probably smelled a lot like breweries. In a study published in Science Advances , researchers say they discovered that Danish masters including Christoffer Wilhelm Eckersberg, considered the father of Danish painting, used an "unconventional binder" to prepare their canvases—the byproducts of...
Report: Russia Is Spying
With Civilian Boats
Apr 20, 2023 6:10 PM CDT
Report: Russia Is Spying With Civilian Boats
Nordic public broadcasters say they've uncovered spying program in the North Sea
- A joint investigation by the public broadcasters of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland has uncovered a large fleet of Russian spy ships allegedly posing as fishing vessels in the North Sea. The broadcasters—DR in Denmark, NRK in Norway, SVT in Sweden, and Yle in Finland—say about 50 Russian...
This Is the
Nation on Earth
Mar 20, 2023 10:20 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Nation on Earth
The honors go to Finland, per annual World Happiness Report; US comes in 15th
- It may be cold in the Nordic countries, but residents' hearts are warm. At least, that's what the 10th annual World Happiness Report found during this year's ranking of 137 nations. Per the Verge , the report—which uses study data and self-assessed life evaluations—found that we've...
Russian Flag Painted
on Copenhagen's Most
Mar 2, 2023 10:15 AM CST
Russian Flag Painted on Copenhagen's Most Famous Landmark
It's the latest in a long line of attacks on Little Mermaid statue
- The Little Mermaid statue in Copenhagen, one of Denmark's most famous landmarks, has been vandalized yet again, this time with the Russian flag. Authorities said Thursday that the white, blue, and red stripes of the Russian flag were painted on the stone the statue sits on, Reuters reports. Police...
Big Closure May Signal Shift
in World of Fine Dining
Jan 9, 2023 11:34 AM CST
Big Closure May Signal Shift in World of Fine Dining
Noma, one of the best restaurants in the world, will close next year to become a test kitchen
- Noma has topped the prestigious World's 50 Best Restaurants list so many times—five—that it's not eligible to win anymore. But those who want to travel to Copenhagen to taste for themselves now have a limited opportunity to do so: The Danish restaurant said Monday that it...
Danish Queen 'Sorry' She
Stripped Grandkids' Titles
Oct 4, 2022 1:39 AM CDT
Danish Queen 'Sorry' She Stripped Grandkids' Titles
Queen Margrethe II issues apologetic but firm statement
Denmark's Queen Margrethe II has issued a mea culpa after her decision to strip four of her eight grandchildren of their royal titles caused some hurt feelings in the family. In a statement issued Monday, the queen says she was simply trying to "future-proof" the monarchy and...
After Queen's Funeral,
Another Queen Has COVID
Sep 21, 2022 2:10 PM CDT
After Queen's Funeral, Another Queen Has COVID
Denmark's Queen Margrethe tested positive the day after London funeral
- Denmark's Queen Margrethe II tested positive for COVID-19 the day after she attended Queen Elizabeth II's state funeral in London, the palace says. The 82-year-old, who became Europe's longest-serving monarch after the death of the British queen, was one of around 2,000 guests at the Westminster...
King Bluetooth Lies at Center
of an Archaeological Dispute
Aug 1, 2022 11:15 AM CDT
King Bluetooth Lies at Center of an Archaeological Dispute
Archaeologist and researcher say he was buried in Poland, but they don't agree on where
- More than 1,000 years after his death in what's now Poland, a European king whose nickname lives on through wireless technology is at the center of an archaeological dispute. Chronicles from the Middle Ages say King Harald "Bluetooth" Gormsson of Denmark acquired his nickname courtesy of a...
'Denmark Was Hit by a
Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
Jul 3, 2022 10:00 PM CDT
'Denmark Was Hit by a Cruel Attack on Sunday Night'
3 killed in Copenhagen shopping mall, others injured
This story has been updated throughout with the confirmed death toll and other details.
A gunman opened fired inside a busy shopping mall in the Danish capital on Sunday, killing three people and wounding others, three critically, police said. A 22-year-old Danish man was arrested, Copenhagen police inspector Søren...
International Deal Ends
the 'Friendliest of All Wars'
Jun 14, 2022 4:01 PM CDT
International Deal Ends the 'Friendliest of All Wars'
Canada, Denmark will split disputed Arctic island
- A long-running—and very polite—dispute between Canada and Denmark over an Arctic island is over. The "Whisky War" started in 1973, when the countries agreed to a boundary in the Nares Strait separating Canada and Greenland, an autonomous part of the Kingdom of Denmark, but the status of...
Denmark Living Like
It's February 2020 Again
Feb 1, 2022 4:51 PM CST
Denmark Living Like It's February 2020 Again
Country does away with nearly all COVID restrictions
- It's back to life like it was in February 2020 in Denmark. The country has done away with nearly all restrictions related to COVID-19, which it says isn't a "socially critical sickness" anymore. It's the first EU country to do so, and it means mask requirements...
'Stealth Omicron' Has
Arrived in the US
Jan 26, 2022 10:05 AM CST
'Stealth Omicron' Has Arrived in the US
BA.2, now in 40 nations, may be more contagious than original omicron, though data is limited
- Cases of an omicron subvariant have popped up in at least 40 countries, including the US. Health officials in California's Santa Clara County confirmed two cases of "stealth omicron," or BA.2, on Tuesday, adding to 11 existing cases in the state as of Monday, reports the...
Dozens in IKEA Overnight
Dec 3, 2021 5:12 AM CST
Snowstorm Strands Dozens in IKEA Overnight
Customers, workers in Denmark got to 'pick the exact bed they always have wanted to try'
- Dozens of people stranded by a snowstorm in Denmark this week didn't have as much beer available as a group that was stuck in a British pub for days after a storm—but they had no shortage of beds to choose from. Six customers and 25 employees had to...
During Pandemic, This Nation's
Economy Takes Top Billing
Sep 30, 2021 5:00 PM CDT
During Pandemic, This Nation's Economy Takes Top Billing
Switzerland is No. 1 on WIPO's Global Innovation Index for 132 economies around the world
- To get through something like a pandemic, countries have had to innovate—especially when it comes to keeping their economies humming. And there are "reasons to be optimistic" on that front, according to one of the editors of the World Intellectual Property Organization's annual Global Innovation Index , which...
Lennon Tape Not Heard for
50 Years Hits Auction Block
Sep 29, 2021 11:50 AM CDT
Lennon Tape Not Heard for 50 Years Hits Auction Block
Includes never-released 'Radio Peace,' performed during John and Yoko's 1970 Denmark visit
- Think you've heard every John Lennon bootleg, remaster, and import? There's a new tape in the mix, unheard for more than 50 years, though you'll have to convince the person who just bought it for $58,300 at auction to play it. The 33-minute recording made in...
Sep 25, 2021 3:06 PM CDT
Norway Drops Pandemic Rules
Handshakes are permitted again, health minister says
- New coronavirus infections in Norway have dropped by half in the past two weeks. New hospitalizations have leveled off. And University of Oxford data show that 67% of the population is fully vaccinated, while 10% has had its first shot. So the government canceled its pandemic restrictions on Saturday, the...
Stories 1 - 20 |
Popular on Newser
Pence: Errant Comma in Book Affects Meaning of Trump Line
Former WWE Star Sentenced to 17 Years After Fatal DUI Crash
Google Maps: We're Going to Scrap That Desert Detour
Awards Season Kicks Off With De Niro Going Off-Script
Nikki Haley Just Scored a Major Endorsement
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.