Log into your Newser account
Joined Newser on:
Find what you're looking for
More about Newser:
Want to contribute?
Suggest a Story
Get our apps:
Install our app:
Stories 21 - 40 |
First Country Permanently
Halts Use of AZ Vaccine
Apr 14, 2021 4:02 PM CDT
First Country Permanently Halts Use of AZ Vaccine
Denmark cites 'real risk of side effects'
- Another setback for the troubled European Union COVID vaccination campaign: Denmark has become the first country to permanently stop using the AstraZeneca vaccine because of a link to rare cases of blood clots , reports Reuters . Danish Health Authority director Soren Brostroem said Wednesday there there is a "real risk...
They Found Safety in Denmark.
Now They're Told to Go
Apr 14, 2021 1:32 PM CDT
They Found Safety in Denmark. Now They're Told to Go
Denmark becomes first EU country to revoke Syrians' residence permits
- "I'm not a danger. I'm not a criminal." You might be inclined to agree. What Ghalia al-Asseh
is a chemistry and biotechnology student at the Technical University of Denmark, the country in which she has lived since fleeing Syria with her family in 2015. Now,...
This Is the Happiest
Country in the World
Mar 19, 2021 10:24 AM CDT
This Is the Happiest Country in the World
It's not the US, which comes in at No. 14, per 'Forbes'
- Saturday is marked as the International Day of Happiness , and in some parts of the world, that contentment factor is especially prevalent.
reports on the 2021 World Happiness Report , the ninth installation, which calls the past year a year "like no other." The Gallup World Poll team...
2 Die of Blood Clots
After Vaccine Dose
Mar 11, 2021 7:22 AM CST
2 Die of Blood Clots After Vaccine Dose
Both doses came from batch ABV5300 of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine
- Denmark is suspending use of the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine for 14 days from Thursday following reports of "severe cases of blood clots." Health Minister Magnus Heunicke stresses the move is a "precautionary measure" as the fatal or life-threatening blood clots reported in a handful of vaccine recipients have...
Peter Madsen Gets
Another 21 Months
Feb 9, 2021 12:09 PM CST
Macabre Killer Peter Madsen Gets Another 21 Months
He is sentenced over his escape from prison after Kim Wall's submarine murder
- He was already serving life for one of Denmark's most notorious murders , but Peter Madsen just got another 21 months tacked on to his sentence. A court on Tuesday handed down the additional time for Madsen's stunning, if short-lived, escape from a prison in suburban Copenhagen last year,...
Yup, That's a Giant
Penis in a Kids Show
Jan 9, 2021 9:44 AM CST
Yup, That's a Giant Penis in a Kids Show
Danish Broadcasting Corporation's 'John Dillermand' arouses debate
- A new TV show has premiered in Denmark about a man with the world's largest penis, which he can't always control. Did we mention it's a kid's show? The animated series that premiered Saturday on the Danish Broadcasting Corporation (DR), aimed at 4- to 8-year-olds, has...
Denmark Will Exhume
Millions of Dead Mink
Dec 21, 2020 6:23 AM CST
Denmark Will Exhume Millions of Dead Mink
It'll wait until May, though
- Denmark has confirmed it will indeed tackle the grim job of digging up millions of mink who were culled due to the coronavirus and buried in mass graves. Two of those graves, it turns out, are located near a drinking water source and swimming lake , respectively, leading to concerns that...
Danish Murder Case Ends
With One Charge 'Missing'
Dec 2, 2020 4:28 PM CST
Danish Murder Case Ends With One Charge 'Missing'
Magnus and Mads Moeller are sentenced for killing their Black friend
- A racially-charged murder case in Denmark has ended with 14-year sentences for two brothers—but some say they dodged the most fitting charge of all, the BBC reports. Magnus and Mads Moeller were found guilty of torturing and killing their Black friend, Phillip Mbuji Johansen, in a prolonged attack this...
Denmark Faces Calls to
Dig Up Just-Buried Minks
Nov 28, 2020 9:50 AM CST
Denmark Faces Calls to Dig Up Just-Buried Minks
Millions were culled in coronavirus measure
- Just weeks after starting to cull millions of minks to combat the spread of the coronavirus, Denmark's government is under pressure to exhume them. One mass burial site is near a swimming lake, the other near a source of drinking water, the BBC reports. In addition, gases have caused...
'Zombie' COVID-Infected Mink
Re-Emerging From Graves
Nov 26, 2020 3:49 AM CST
'Zombie' COVID-Infected Mink Re-Emerging From Graves
Sounds like something out of a horror story, but this is real life in Denmark
- Denmark is culling millions of minks to stop a dangerous mutated form of the coronavirus from spreading to humans , but some of those minks don't seem to want to stay in the ground. As
reports, minks infected with the mutated COVID-19 strain are re-emerging after being buried...
Danish Mask Study
Doesn't Align With
Nov 18, 2020 12:57 PM CST
Danish Mask Study Doesn't Align With CDC Guidance
Danish study found protection level fell far short of expectations
- Scientists agree that wearing a mask helps stop infected people from spreading the coronavirus—but there is some disagreement over how much they protect the wearer. A Danish study conducted early in the pandemic, when few Danes wore masks in public, found that masks did not offer as much protection...
In 4 Museum Heists, Thieves
Went After the Same Thing
Nov 13, 2020 9:20 AM CST
In 4 Museum Heists, Thieves Went After the Same Thing
A fortune's worth of Nazi uniforms stolen in Europe since March
- Thieves set up a roadblock of tires, parked a fake police car beside it, then smashed down the door of the Eyewitness War Museum in the Netherlands, from which they took $1.5 million in World War II memorabilia in just five minutes, per the
New York Times
Denmark Realizes No Law
Allows Order to Cull Minks
Nov 10, 2020 1:17 PM CST
Denmark Realizes No Law Allows Order to Cull Minks
Government urges farmers to go ahead anyway to protect humans from coronavirus
- Now that it's begun to cull as many as 17 million minks, Denmark's government has conceded there's nothing in the law that permits the order. The decision was made after a mutated form of the coronavirus jumped to humans and fears arose that the effectiveness of vaccines...
Denmark Locks Down
After Virus Mutates in Mink
Nov 6, 2020 7:26 AM CST
Denmark Locks Down After Virus Mutates in Mink
'We must knock down completely this virus variant'
- Denmark has strengthened a lockdown in the north of the country, where a mutated version of the coronavirus has spread from minks to humans . Starting Friday, bars, restaurants, and public transport will be shut down in seven North Jutland regions with a combined population of around 280,000, the BBC...
Denmark: COVID Mutation Has
Spread From Minks to Humans
Nov 5, 2020 6:00 AM CST
Denmark: COVID Mutation Has Spread From Minks to Humans
Country plans to cull 15M animals
- Denmark says it plans to kill all farmed mink in the country, at least 15 million animals, rather than take any chances with a mutated version of the coronavirus. Prime Minister Mette Frederiksen warned Wednesday that according to a government report, a version of the virus spreading from minks to...
Killer Peter Madsen
Oct 20, 2020 9:05 AM CDT
Killer Peter Madsen Escapes Prison
Inventor convicted in journalist's brutal murder is apprehended a short distance away on Tuesday
- A Danish man convicted of killing a journalist aboard his homemade submarine in a case that shocked Scandinavia managed to escape from prison on Tuesday—though he was apprehended soon after. Peter Madsen, serving life in prison for the 2017 murder of Kim Wall, escaped from Herstedvester Prison near Copenhagen...
to Wipe Out
One Nation's Huge
Oct 12, 2020 11:23 AM CDT
COVID Threatens to Wipe Out One Nation's Huge Mink Industry
Denmark will cull at least 2.5M animals because of a coronavirus outbreak on farms
- Danish veterinarians and farmers have begun culling at least 2.5 million minks in Denmark after the coronavirus showed up in at least 63 farms. The Danish Veterinary and Food Administration is handling the culling of the infected animals, while breeders who have noninfected minks on a farm within 5...
Finally Admits He
Killed Kim Wall
Sep 9, 2020 3:25 PM CDT
Peter Madsen Finally Admits He Killed Kim Wall
Danish inventor has previously maintained journalist's death was an accident
- A Danish court determined Peter Madsen killed Swedish journalist Kim Wall in August 2017. Now Madsen has verified that fact. The
reports the 49-year-old has for the first time admitted killed Wall, who he long maintained had died accidentally on the submarine he built. The confession came in a...
Looking to Raise a Family?
These 10 Nations Are Tops
Jul 24, 2020 11:05 AM CDT
Looking to Raise a Family? These 10 Nations Are Tops
The US doesn't make the cut—in fact, it's got a dismal ranking
- No one's able to go much of anywhere at the moment , but one day, when the pandemic is over, you may be on the hunt for the best place to settle down and have kids. Travel and family journalism website Asher & Lyric did the legwork for us, sifting...
A Black Man's
Jul 1, 2020 2:26 PM CDT
A Black Man's Brutal Murder Causes Pause in Denmark
Officials say Phillip Mbuji Johansen's killing wasn't a race-based crime; many disagree
- One of the two white men suspected of torturing and killing a black man in Denmark has the words "white power” and a swastika tattooed on his legs, yet prosecutors have said "skin color" played no role in the crime. It's a determination that has rankled many...
Stories 21 - 40 |
Popular on Newser
MSU Head Coach Fired for 'Moral Turpitude'
Arrest Made in Murder of Young Baltimore Tech CEO
US Soldier Who Crossed Into North Korea Back in US Custody
Family Decries Cyclist's 'Sick' Murder by Laughing Teens
26-Year-Old Tech CEO Found Dead in Baltimore
On This Day:
10 Years of Headlines
We're glad you're here.
As an ad-supported site,
Newser can't exist without ads.
To read our stories, you'll
need to tweak one thing.
OK, tell me what to do
If you're using:
An ad-blocker, please whitelist Newser
by clicking the ad-blocker icon in your browser.
(Examples: Adblock Plus
, and Ghostery
A DuckDuckGo extension in your browser, please access Newser without it: Either by removing it, whitelisting us, or using another browser.
Thanks so much.